8495 replies to this topic

#8461 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

in OP, this question is incorrectly asked/answered:

Earning Coupons at Kmart:
If I buy a $59.99 game and use a $20 coupon, does that mean I won't get the "Spend $40 on games, get a $15 coupon" coupon?
Yes. As long as it's over $40 BEFORE you use a coupon, you're good.

"won't get" should be "will get"

#8462 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm not sure where else to ask this.. but looking back at this: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=310900 seeing the bit about 10% bonus points for buying $250 or more And supposed to be rewarded on jan 1st. Has anyone not seen these points? I purchased a ps3 and few other things in dec. and thats more than enough.

#8463 Fabs

Fabs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

I haven't been keeping up, are Josh and the Kmart deals done for? If so that really sucks I was really looking forward this upcoming gaming season.

#8464 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

So...anyone else waiting for gift cards for October purchases?

#8465 burger96

burger96

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm not sure where else to ask this.. but looking back at this: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=310900 seeing the bit about 10% bonus points for buying $250 or more And supposed to be rewarded on jan 1st. Has anyone not seen these points? I purchased a ps3 and few other things in dec. and thats more than enough.

I got my 50k points. I don't think it was a 10% bonus as there were only two levels. You either got 25k for under $500, but more than $250, or 50k for over $500. The only caveat was that it wasn't all dec purchases. All purchases had to be made from Dec 1 to Dec 24.

#8466 SPVietBoy

SPVietBoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

yeah, I got my 25k points. now just to wait for my 10k pts for the reviews :D

#8467 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Sears Chief says Retail Turnaround Means Melding Tech with Store Upgrades

Something that jumped out at me:

"Sears is spending less than a quarter of the $8 a square foot that retailers typically invest to maintain stores, according to International Strategy & Investment Group. In an August report, the New York-based company put Sears and Kmart at the bottom of the list of a dozen retailers ranked by sales per square foot and operating profitability."

That was something we have probably all noticed but that was the first time I ever saw an actual dollar amount attached to it. Today for example I went into a TRU that I went into a lot as a child and with the exception of the video game section being moved within the past 8 years the store looks largely the same as it did when I was kid. They recently finished a total remodel/renovation and I must say the store looked great. Also something else I noticed was that the employees seemed to be happier and more willing to assist, note these were employees that I have noticed being there for several years. The way it seemed to me was that if corporate showed enough interest in a store to do a remodel/renovation that the employees would take pride in their store and want to keep it nice and keep customers happy.

I know from working in retail, occasionally I would even say to myself, "The store looks like shit anyways why should I work harder than I have to so it will look better."

TheVila.png

#8468 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

So...anyone else waiting for gift cards for October purchases?

I contacted Mark about the MW3/4000MSP promo and how I went to several stores with no cards. He said to just send him receipt info when I do get them and that I'd get a GC for each card (I bought two MW3 copies on 360). I was able to buy two msp cards after Christmas while I was away and sent an email when I got back so have been waiting almost a week for a reply.

#8469 JoeCamNet

JoeCamNet

Broke ass loser

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

Saw my 50k bonus points today. Spent them all immediately because I have no self control.
Got batteries for my trip to MAGFest, a 3DS card and a movie for the wife (Cowboys and Aliens.. Meh. Not sure what she enjoyed about it, but if it makes her happy...)
If you love video games and if you love music, you NEED to check out
Posted Image
And if you order the CD you can even rub your balls on it!

#8470 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Beyond self-control issues, it's probably not a bad idea to spend the points quickly if there's something you need/want. Who knows if the points will be altered or canceled in any way.

#8471 JoeCamNet

JoeCamNet

Broke ass loser

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

Well the bonus points are only good until the end of the month anyways, if I recall correctly.
But yeah, hole in pocket. Burning. Had to go. :D
If you love video games and if you love music, you NEED to check out
Posted Image
And if you order the CD you can even rub your balls on it!

#8472 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Not impressed by K-Mart at all so no surprise to see them going down in flames. Seriously, this retailer should have died a long time ago - only reason they didn't was because Sears, for some reason, merged with them.

Unless there is drastic change, K-Mart/Sears should be dead in the next 2-3 years.

#8473 RySenkari

RySenkari

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Anderson, Indiana K-Mart is safe, for now. Most likely because it's the only big box store on the north side of town (the Wal-Mart, Target, and Meijer are all on the south side). Absolutely sucks to see the Sears go. I remember going to that Sears back in the early 90s with my grandma (who also died last May :( ), she'd take me to look at the video games and she'd occasionally buy me one of the strategy guides or magazines they had up on the counter. She spoiled the hell out of me, bought a ton of guides for me back in the day (most of which I sold which I regret seriously because a lot of those old guides, especially the Lufia Fortress of Doom guide, are worth assloads of money now). The Sears removed the video game section in the early 2000s but that was our mall's only big anchor (besides Carson's, but Fuck Carson's). The mall is going to be a dead mall in a couple of years. There goes the last little bit of my childhood.

Sucks hardcore to see all the coupon deals going away. Was hoping to possibly buy a Vita at K-Mart, now I'll just wait for Black Friday :( Thanks for everything, Josh, hope you find greener pastures whatever you end up doing.

#8474 MfMonster

MfMonster

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

woz -I agree. For a healthy business, that's how you would do it. Inventory is a bad thing. This is true of every business from car dealerships to supermarkets.

(And here, I'm reading between the lines of what Josh has told us in the past along with my own conjecture. But mostly my own conjecture.)

Spoiler

Very very well said (typed). Some consumers forget, do not understand, or do not care about a business model.

As a CAG I love clearance but I would rather see competitive pricing for the consumer, and the store turning a profit (including the developers). Somebody mentioned they don't care about a store turning a profit, but they should for all of the obvious reasons. If a store doesn't turn a profit it does not stay in business, people lose jobs, and the consumer is forced to puchase products at other retailers whom now have less competition so less of a need to stay competitive in their pricing. What is even more concerning is people losing jobs. I am more than happy to pay a little more for something if it keeps some people employed. Sweet economics.

That being said, I love K-Mart because of Josh and friends. They made K-Mart relevant to the gamer again, and as Coonfsious said not just for the locusts. I used to buy all my new releases from TRU and Amazon and the last few years ALL of my new releases have been purchased via K-Mart.

Thank you SHC and Happy New Year.
VampirePrincessMiyu...

#8475 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Well thats kinda lame, I had given my email more than once to in-store register and the shop your way site. Seems thats way I never got the bonus points, I'm still base member! It's still buggy too, because I never get email to confirm my email as valid or anything either. I just did it again for the fun of it, I think I'll just deal with missing out.

#8476 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Wasn't there a report recently that said BBY made less money than Dollar General? Just because they have good deals and sold tons of stuff, doesn't mean they're doing well.

#8477 WarchildX

WarchildX

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

I don't typically make posts on CAG though I've been a member for years. But I wanted to comment and say thanks to SHC-Gamer and StockBoy for doing something that no else could which was to get me to shop at K-Mart. The phenomenal game deals that you guys put out were second to none and something that I wish more companies would use as a solid example. I went from shopping at places like Best Buy and Target to pretty much exclusively buying release day titles from K-Mart stores (so long as they sold them, of course). Beyond that, I'd even buy other stuff while I was there since I could combine trips for things like snacks, underclothing, and kitchen utensils.

I have no idea what you guys are going to be doing next but I certainly look forward to hearing about it. Suffice it to say, I buy a lot of games thorough the year and wherever you go, my wallet will most certainly follow. Be well, guys.

#8478 metrostar

metrostar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'll be making a decision very soon, hopefully everyone will still be cool with me posting just as a gamer looking for deals and not making them.

Thanks Josh and his team for all the great memories. I hate to say this, but by the time they leave, it mostly likely is the end of my shopping relationship with Kmart. Their works was the only reason I stepped into Kmart first time in 10 years. Really appreciate for everything you guys brought to us, best wishes in 2012!!!

Edited by metrostar, 03 January 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#8479 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Jan. 24- Silent Hill HD Collection

Feb. 7- Fallout New Vegas UE, Jak and Daxter HD Collection (PS3 only)

Feb. 14- Twisted Metal, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend

March 6- Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter x Tekken

March 13- Tales of Graces f (PS3 only)

Josh,

Dunno if you're taking a poll but I'd bite on good deals for any of these. The news about Kmart and Sears struggling is depressing as they've been a retail fixture in my life for as long as I can remember so I'm down to help with the proper motivation ;)

Seriously though, good luck dude, you've helped CAGs out to a great degree.

EDIT - Damn, missed a bunch of Josh's earlier stuff. *sigh* I got most of this year's bigger releases that I wanted through Kmart and saved a good deal of money while doing so.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#8480 lpburk2

lpburk2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

The fantastic service provided by Josh was inversely proportional to the service I received from my local K-Mart. I won't miss K-Mart in the slightest, but I'd hate to see Sears go under. I still shop there for some appliances, lawn mowers, and the like. In my mind, and maybe it's just me, I don't associate the name "Sears" with absolute failure like I do that of "K-Mart."

#8481 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

There's a lot of hostility in this thread.

Seriously, so many people take so much joy in other people's misery it's ridiculous.

Ex. The uninformed employees lost their job. Good! How the hell is that good for anyone? Less people paying income taxes means more people living on those people who are working. This is not good for anyone. Further why would this make anyone happy? Do people really have such shitty lives that someone else losing a job is the highlight of their day? That's sad.

Ex. 2. People were stupid for buying games with a coupon instead of waiting for them to drop in price. Why is it stupid? Perhaps these people would rather part with their $20 extra in MSRP to play the game now. They are perfectly happy to do that and actually get some joy from the anticipation of using their next coupon on a different game. Also (and once again) why does this matter to you? The people who bought the game aren't the least bit concerned by your opinion, so perhaps you should worry more about making yourself happy and less about trying to bring everyone else down.

I apologize for this mini-rant but the lack of life-experience and/or perspective by people in this thread is disappointing. Having said that, I applaud those people who had the class to immediately thank Josh for his efforts.

#8482 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

You know, I've learned a valuable lesson today. Games should only be bought at the universally lowest price, not at a price point at which I'm comfortable paying, or a time that I want it. And I must make my personal worth hinge on how other people spend their money.

I get the feeling this has all come about after quite the management shakeup at Sears Holding. What should happen is a dismissal/shake-up of the C-level staff. If you let your business get to the point where it has to let go of its namesake tower (in some degree at least), you're probably not running your corporation every well.
Posted Image

#8483 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks Josh and his team for all the great memories. I hate to say this, but by the time they leave, it mostly likely is the end of my shopping relationship with Kmart. Their works was the only reason I stepped into Kmart first time in 10 years. Really appreciate for everything you guys brought to us, best wishes in 2012!!!

+1

I drove about 1 hr round trip to K-mart because of Josh's deals and his interaction here.

#8484 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

I'll be making a decision very soon, hopefully everyone will still be cool with me posting just as a gamer looking for deals and not making them.

All the best to you stockboy and the crew and if you continue in this field count me in. I bought 90% of my games from kmart since you guys been rolling. Definately some great times thanks for the memories.

#8485 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

It's always sad to see a retailer go under because of poor management decisions. K-Mart and its parent company, Sears, made very bad decisions and the unfortunate reality is that turning a company like this around nowadays is extremely difficult. While every store that bites the dust does mean less competition, the retailer industry is filled with players; in our economy, a company's failure is more often than not due to an inability to adapt and make better business decisions. There are plenty of reasons why K-Mart and Sears are fading fast, and the bleeding isn't going to stop now.

Interestingly, Best Buy is on a similar track. Forbes has a great article on the future (or impending death) of Best Buy. I agree with the author on every level. Sure, BBY had some deals this year, but it was likely tied to trying to save the company's bottomline from the fiasco in the UK and to shore up some goodwill for 2012. Too little, too late, IMHO.

You can check out the article here: http://www.forbes.co...radually/print/

#8486 Teeheehee

Teeheehee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

I'll also add my thanks to Josh for all the awesome release week coupons! I almost never buy anything release day unless there's a deal on it. These K-Mart deals gave life to my 3DS, Wii, and DS, getting new games on release day.

I better use the final $15 coupon I got from Mario Kart 7 soon. Thanks again!

#8487 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

It's sad to see how things are in here, best of luck Josh and stock boy.

#8488 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

Gah, just caught up on the last three days of posts. That Josh is suggesting he won't be in his position much longer is very disheartening.

I'm almost too bummed out to suggest sending the recent trolls Mortal Kombat T-shirts as thanks for their contributions to the discussion. Almost.

#8489 *Deathblade2

*Deathblade2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Best of luck josh, whatever you do. You and your staff have been nothing but professional, and always made right any failings at the store level. There have been many great deals at kmart, where else can you get $20 off a future game purchase AT LAUNCH. Granted some games drop like rocks these days, but who cares. Dont let the haters get you down, I hope the best for you whatever you decide.

#8490 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

No response from Mark or Josh yet about my gift card. I know things are rough in Kmart/Sears land, but I would at least like to know what's going on.