Dark Souls - the successor to Demon's Souls - Now available

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#31 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

ive always wanted to try this series, but never picked up demons souls. should i just skip that and pick this one up, or just start with demons souls?

There's no storyline connection and Demon's Souls is only on PS3. If you have both systems, it would be cheaper to get Demon's Souls now and wait for a price drop on Dark Souls. Or you could skip Demon's Souls entirely and get Dark Souls for your preferred system.

#32 Doomtime

Doomtime

Victor von Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Just got my Collector's Edition in. Going to torture myself now

CAGFL: (187-31)

Doomtime1.png

#33 Kevfactor

Kevfactor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

i quit once i found the skeletons

pretty badass game but i really dont have a day off from college and work till friday:)

#34 imatwork

imatwork

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

To anyone thats playing already.. hows the d-pad working out?

#35 xCappax

xCappax

Real Madrid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

The limited edition is fetching over $100 on ebay im debating selling it on ebay and then just getting the game when price drops

#36 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

The limited edition is fetching over $100 on ebay im debating selling it on ebay and then just getting the game when price drops

I knew i should have got 2 of them when i had the chance... bah
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:55 PM

To anyone thats playing already.. hows the d-pad working out?

Works fine. Unless I'm missing something you just use it to select items and equipment, not that big of a deal.

The Taurus Demon was a piece of cake. I'm playing a thief, and just jumped down on him and then ran around him until I got position, and took him out after a few swings. He got me good one time with that swing of his, but I used an Estus Flask and kept at him.

I just got to Undead Burg and so far it's been pretty easy. I expect that to change real quick.

#38 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

ive always wanted to try this series, but never picked up demons souls. should i just skip that and pick this one up, or just start with demons souls?

Skip it and get this one, unless you're on a really tight budget. They're not related story-wise.

I like touching the bloodstains and watching how other people die, that's pretty cool!

#39 NightCat

NightCat

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:33 AM

This game is amazing! Taurus kicked my butt! :) I am a wanderer and liking it not to easy and not to hard with my char.

I have yet to co op with someone how do you do this? All i see is nonstop ghosts all over the place and they are not co op but doing there own game only.

Also huge fail i can not install this to my hard drive only huge problem with this. And the CE is not a big deal i got one but it is all about the game not the steel tin and plastic cover over it and the artbook.

A+ game!

If anyone knows how to co op as in tag team kill things let me know. I see on the other thread for buying this nobody knows how to co op tag team yet. I had a humanity already and does not work.

#40 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

This game is amazing! Taurus kicked my butt! :) I am a wanderer and liking it not to easy and not to hard with my char.

I have yet to co op with someone how do you do this? All i see is nonstop ghosts all over the place and they are not co op but doing there own game only.

Also huge fail i can not install this to my hard drive only huge problem with this. And the CE is not a big deal i got one but it is all about the game not the steel tin and plastic cover over it and the artbook.

A+ game!

If anyone knows how to co op as in tag team kill things let me know. I see on the other thread for buying this nobody knows how to co op tag team yet. I had a humanity already and does not work.

http://www.gamersher...p-in-dark-souls

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png

#41 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

Love the CE case back. That pick is awesome. About to start playing now. Got Rage too but going to play this first. Exited! Loved the first one.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#42 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

A little tip for a very nice sword early in the game:

Spoiler

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png

#43 xCappax

xCappax

Real Madrid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:43 AM

I knew i should have got 2 of them when i had the chance... bah

meh... my copy didn't even come in today via Amazon and I ordered in May with release date delivery!! I complained to Amazon and they gave me $5 credit I'll take it lol... still undecided about putting it up on Ebay though, we'll see.

#44 NightCat

NightCat

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

http://www.gamersher...p-in-dark-souls

Thanks for the link i found both items but nobody summons me and i get bored just idling there. I wish it was easier to get it going and not take so long.

Now if only i can beat that dang fire breathing dragon on the bridge omg! Not using a guide really makes this game insane. I have no clue what area is for my level and so on. I am level 20.

I have no arrows for my bow or crossbow.

Also is there a place to sell stuff? I found 2 places that sell stuff but does not buy stuff from you.

#45 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:41 AM

I liked Demon's Souls but hated how little the game actually explained.

Are things still ambiguous in this one?

seanr1221.png

#46 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

I liked Demon's Souls but hated how little the game actually explained.

Are things still ambiguous in this one?

Pretty much. The game is amazing though!

#47 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

Giant Bomb did a 1.5 hour quick-look on the game

http://www.giantbomb...-souls/17-4966/

My copy is coming in today from Amazon. Funny enough, I am both heavily excited and heavily dreading the game.

538822.png

#48 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Pretty much. The game is amazing though!

Dang, then I'm gonna wait until Christmas/the new year. Just don't have time to properly invest in a game like this right now :(

seanr1221.png

#49 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the link i found both items but nobody summons me and i get bored just idling there. I wish it was easier to get it going and not take so long.

Now if only i can beat that dang fire breathing dragon on the bridge omg! Not using a guide really makes this game insane. I have no clue what area is for my level and so on. I am level 20.

I have no arrows for my bow or crossbow.

Also is there a place to sell stuff? I found 2 places that sell stuff but does not buy stuff from you.

You can't sell stuff which adds to the challenge. You don't HAVE to defeat the dragon you can go below the bridge and avoid it all together. To defeat it you will need SEVERAL arrows.

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png

#50 xCappax

xCappax

Real Madrid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:12 AM

so.scared.to.start.playing.

#51 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

Getting my butt handed to me by those skeletons with swords...geesh...

#52 NightCat

NightCat

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

You can't sell stuff which adds to the challenge. You don't HAVE to defeat the dragon you can go below the bridge and avoid it all together. To defeat it you will need SEVERAL arrows.

Well i wanted to beat it and get the stuff near it.

The items you pick up not being able to do anything with them besides dropping them kinda makes me go hmmmm.... At least let the people recycle the metal or something and goes towards metals used to upgrade weapons or something. Who these days ignores loot? I grab everything i see and i got 1 of one item x 40 already... I just figured there would be some reason to pick up loot. My char still uses the default armor for the wanderer cause the rest so far is really lower then what i got now.

Anyone else notice hardly anyone is around to link up with? I will find people galore then nobody for like 1 hour to 3 hours while playing. You see there blue ghost wandering around you when you see people connected to your world somewhat. You can put down things so they can invite you into there game. I hope it is a problem with the game cause if not nobody really owns this game it seems or all playing offline while in party chat.

I also found a way to play with someone which is easy since nobody seems to be playing this online mode only. I guess to many people addicted to party chat. I hope that does not kill the online aspect of it.

#53 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

For the life of me, I can't play this with my friend. We both bought copies thinking that we'd actually be able to play together. You have to jump through hoops to even get the chance.

- You need to wait until the second boss fight is finished. (Alright, fair enough.)

- You need to find an item to be brought to a friend's world. (Well, okay. Fine.)

Then it gets borderline ridiculous..

- One person has to be human.

- One person has to be hollow.

- Both people must be at the same spot, within 10% of the same level.

- You must hope that your friend can see your sign, as it may just be appearing to other random people and not him.

- The summoner must be wearing blue socks.

- The one being summoned must have a middle name beginning with the letter J, and have an age divisible by 7.

- You can only successfully summon on the second Wednesday of every month.

In all seriousness, I've never felt so much rage toward a video game in my life. It isn't the difficulty of the game that bothers me, I actually enjoy that. I just can't stand the way they handle co-op.

Has anyone been successful in playing with a friend? What about just a random player?

#54 buddynayr

buddynayr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

I don't have the game, but from what I read, wasn't the whole point that you're not really supposed to know who you're playing with when someone enters your world? There's no voice chat, etc.

#55 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

I don't have the game, but from what I read, wasn't the whole point that you're not really supposed to know who you're playing with when someone enters your world? There's no voice chat, etc.

Yes, which is the stupidest shit I've ever heard. If I wanted to 'deepen the experience', I'd just refrain from using voice chat and playing with someone I know. Why not give us the choice instead of telling us how to play?

I bet the devs are all pro-life.

EDIT: Sorry if that last comment offended anyone, it was in poor taste.

Edited by Yamato, 07 October 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#56 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Speaking of which! Anyone interested in the game's multiplayer should read the following:

Co-Op Rant: Dark Souls server debacle

#57 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

Speaking of which! Anyone interested in the game's multiplayer should read the following:

Co-Op Rant: Dark Souls server debacle

Thanks for that. Probably no chance that they'll change it, right?

#58 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:19 AM

Well i wanted to beat it and get the stuff near it.

The items you pick up not being able to do anything with them besides dropping them kinda makes me go hmmmm.... At least let the people recycle the metal or something and goes towards metals used to upgrade weapons or something. Who these days ignores loot? I grab everything i see and i got 1 of one item x 40 already... I just figured there would be some reason to pick up loot. My char still uses the default armor for the wanderer cause the rest so far is really lower then what i got now.

Anyone else notice hardly anyone is around to link up with? I will find people galore then nobody for like 1 hour to 3 hours while playing. You see there blue ghost wandering around you when you see people connected to your world somewhat. You can put down things so they can invite you into there game. I hope it is a problem with the game cause if not nobody really owns this game it seems or all playing offline while in party chat.

I also found a way to play with someone which is easy since nobody seems to be playing this online mode only. I guess to many people addicted to party chat. I hope that does not kill the online aspect of it.

I was corrected by a friend and apparently there IS a NPC later in the game that will buy items from you but for very low amounts of souls. I haven't seen this NPC yet though. The items by the dragon if I remember correctly are
Spoiler

An easy way to defeat the dragon is
Spoiler

Part of the problem with the online aspect is to be able to be summoned into someone elses world they have to be in human form. If your in human form that also leaves you open to invasion so some people are to scared to go into human form. Plus you have to be in a certain level range of that person to be able to join/invade them. So if you are over/under leveled you might have difficulties. I typically always run around in human form unless if I am farming because I love PvP. I have helped a few random people with the first real boss but I haven't summoned anyone into my game to help me with a boss because I don't want/need help. So there is a lot of issues with the online mode but these are mostly the same issues as with Demon's Souls but the multiple server issue isn't helping matters any.

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png

#59 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

This game is crushing me! I'm definitely in a love/hate thing right now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

Here is a video that shows a good place to grind for souls. You can get approx 7k souls per minute here.

Spoiler

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png