Best Buy Trade-in Thread 2.0: Please see new thread.

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At 276 pages and countless request for a new OP, it was time to retire the first Best Buy Trade-in Thread and start fresh. Thanks bh47 for your work in the previous thread (and providing the framework for this one)!

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.
Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Current Promos:
- 50% Bonus when you trade in ANY game.
Get a 50% trade in bonus when you trade in ANY game. Offer valid 01/01/12 - 01/07/12

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Quo...VideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)\

Upcoming/Rumored Promotions:
All promos that have yet to appear on Best Buy's site (or in an upcoming ad) are listed here:
None at the moment

Previous Promotions:
Promos that have expired:
- 50% Bonus with specific Pre-order from list.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game from the following list: Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5, MLB 12 The Show, Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Twisted Metal, Max Payne 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Diablo 3. Offer valid 12/25/11 - 12/31/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11
- 40% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/10/11

- 50% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/03/11

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 10/5/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 40% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 50% Bonus with Modern Warfare 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/Purchase Modern Warfare 3. Offer valid 10/10/11 - 11/12/11 (Assuming this means a bonus for purchasing the game after it is released this Tuesday)

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 40% Bonus with The Elder Scrolls V: Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Max Payne 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Max Payne 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11 - This promo seems a little odd and there is a chance it is an error on the site since the game is so far from release.

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Skyrim Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Uncharted 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Uncharted 3. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you purchase Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.

Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/22/11

- 40% Bonus with purchase of Batman: Arkham City.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/16/11 - 10/22/11

- 50% Bonus with Batman: Arkham City Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/15/11

- 30% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get a 30% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Rage or NBA 2K12. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11

- Trade 4 get an extra $20 Trade-in Credit.
Get $20 trade-in Credit when you trade 4 or more games (Current gen games only (no PS2) and $5 minimum for each game). Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11 **** This promo was cancelled early due to technical issues. There have been issues with this promo not working on some stores' systems or simply not even being available, the issue seems to be related to disc-only games (or any game that is typed rather than scanned) so plan accordingly. The $20 extra is once per trade-in, meaning 4 games or 123 games it will only be $20 extra per transaction. So if you want to trade in 8 games, do it in two separate transactions. ****

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer was valid from 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expired 10/01/2011

Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expired 10/01/2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150. After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracks on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine. It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. IL does not sell Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone app is way off, why?
The app sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case. When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but major updates seem to come on Sunday and Tuesday nights (or at least have in the past). Sometimes an update will happen randomly, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually.

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but word is that will change soon.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll likely need a state ID.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reserved just in case.

Original OP in case something happens once it is wikified:
At 276 pages and countless request for a new OP, it was time to retire the first Best Buy Trade-in Thread and start fresh. Thanks bh47 for your work in the previous thread (and providing the framework for this one)!

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.
Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Quo...VideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)\

Upcoming/Rumored promotions:
All promos that have yet to appear on Best Buy's site (or in an upcoming ad) are listed here:
- Trade 4 get an extra $20.
Trade in 4 games with a minimum value of $5 each and get an extra $20. PS2 games are excluded. Offer valid: 10/2 - 10/8?

- 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Battlefield 3 or Batman: Arkham City.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order either Battlefield 3 or Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid:
10/9 - 10/21?
- 40% Bonus with purchase of Batman: Arkham City.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you purchase Batman: Arkham City.
Offer valid: 10/22 - 10/29?
- 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Battlefield 3.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order Battlefield 3.
Offer valid: 10/22 - 10/29?

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150. After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy you purchased the pre-order from and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine. It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. IL does not sell Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone app is way off, why?
The app sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case. When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but major updates seem to come on Sunday and Tuesday nights (or at least have in the past). Sometimes an update will happen randomly, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually.

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but word is that will change soon.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll likely need a state ID.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. A list of stores requiring receipts is available on Best Buy's trade-in site.

I tried to cover as much as I could in the FAQ, and I'm a fan of the previous promotions idea but since we didn't currently have a list we will just have to start building one now.

What a headache I had at BB today!!! The bastard tried to tell me I had to wait until after I received my Gamers Club card (which is tied to my RZ number and told him about but he "knew" everything) to get the additional %10. I had to wait for him to fix that and then the I didn't receive the bonus for pre-ordering Rage and had to wait on a gift card to fix that problem. What should have been at the most a 20 minute transaction turned into almost an hour, I only traded in 5 games too.

Your dates for 'upcoming offers' should be correct. Looks like they are taking away the general 'pre-order something get 40%' bonus and just doing it game by game as they reach release date.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to do the new thread. I skimmed it, and it looks like this should cover 90% of all the questions asked in the last thread.

I'm normally pretty understanding about wanting an answer quickly, or trying to catch up; but the last thread was ridiculous. Now that the OP is really thorough, I'll have no problem pointing stupid questions to the first page.

Thank you!

[quote name='musicjunkie']Your dates for 'upcoming offers' should be correct. Looks like they are taking away the general 'pre-order something get 40%' bonus and just doing it game by game as they reach release date.[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to remember what systems the new 4/$20 were limited to? I know you mentioned PS2 games were excluded but what about NDS games? Thanks!

[quote name='JediJames2']Do you happen to remember what systems the new 4/$20 were limited to? I know you mentioned PS2 games were excluded but what about NDS games? Thanks![/QUOTE]
Long as they are worth $5 they are eligible. 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, Wii and DS all eligible if my memory serves me.

Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy you purchased the pre-order from and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling.

brilliant :roll:
you know this is NOT the intent, why highlight it?
dammit, this is not SD...

Well I went through my backlog and nothing I can trade and buy again to make the 4 for $20 worth it. I just need to play some of my games so I can trade them.

i have one general bestbuy question, say if i preorder a game, and dont decide to pick it up, can i pick it, a few month after it releases?

[quote name='musicjunkie']Long as they are worth $5 they are eligible. 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, Wii and DS all eligible if my memory serves me.[/QUOTE]

Any idea if the trade 4, get $20 is cumulative like the GS trade 3, get $10 are? So if you trade 8 at once, will you get an extra $40 or is the $20 bonus limited to one per trade in?

I'd like to make a motion that whenever somebody comes into the thread and asks a question that is clearly answered in the wiki, that we direct that person to the wiki and do not answer his/her question. Can I get a second?

[quote name='exaznkid']i have one general bestbuy question, say if i preorder a game, and dont decide to pick it up, can i pick it, a few month after it releases?[/QUOTE]
Yes but more than 5 days after release your copy is not guaranteed but your money is in the system until you do something with it.

[quote name='winterlane']Any idea if the trade 4, get $20 is cumulative like the GS trade 3, get $10 are? So if you trade 8 at once, will you get an extra $40 or is the $20 bonus limited to one per trade in?[/QUOTE]
The wordage makes it seem like its just a straight $20 bump. If I remember it was 'trade-in 4 or more games get an extra $20' so it's not 'for every 4', again, if I remember right. Can't really tell for sure until Sunday when it's active in the system.

[quote name='musicjunkie']Yes but more than 5 days after release your copy is not guaranteed but your money is in the system until you do something with it.

The wordage makes it seem like its just a straight $20 bump. If I remember it was 'trade-in 4 or more games get an extra $20' so it's not 'for every 4', again, if I remember right. Can't really tell for sure until Sunday when it's active in the system.[/QUOTE]

I think the more interesting part will be how it is entered into their system -- if it is one of those radio button things, then it's probably just the straight 20 bucks, but if the system somehow just does it, there is a chance that you might be able to get somebody to click one of the % promos as well, getting the trade value, plus 20 bucks, plus like 40% of all of that. Probably not intended to work that way, but if they don't program it right, maybe we get lucky for a few hours :)

[quote name='DerClaw']I'd like to make a motion that whenever somebody comes into the thread and asks a question that is clearly answered in the wiki, that we direct that person to the wiki and do not answer his/her question. Can I get a second?[/QUOTE]

I hope this wasn't directed at me since I don't think my question had been answered or addressed anywhere previously.

[quote name='winterlane']I hope this wasn't directed at me since I don't think my question had been answered or addressed anywhere previously.[/QUOTE]

Did I quote you? No. I think your question is silly, since nobody is going to know and even if it isn't cumulative, you'd just do it in a bunch of different transactions.

If you've read the previous thread there are people that ask questions that have been answered hundreds of times. Obviously your question has not been answered hundreds of times, since it's never been answered and can't be answered until a few more days!

[quote name='DerClaw']I'd like to make a motion that whenever somebody comes into the thread and asks a question that is clearly answered in the wiki, that we direct that person to the wiki and do not answer his/her question. Can I get a second?[/QUOTE]
I say we ignore them. Legitimate questions get ignored/overlooked all the time. How is that fair?

[quote name='DerClaw']I think the more interesting part will be how it is entered into their system -- if it is one of those radio button things, then it's probably just the straight 20 bucks, but if the system somehow just does it, there is a chance that you might be able to get somebody to click one of the % promos as well, getting the trade value, plus 20 bucks, plus like 40% of all of that. Probably not intended to work that way, but if they don't program it right, maybe we get lucky for a few hours :)[/QUOTE]
Here's hoping.:)

[quote name='donut']Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?

dammit, this is not SD...[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from but people will ask it anyway. It should be in the FAQ.

The good news is that BB seems to be keeping track of all the preorder cancellations so that will curb the abuse.

[quote name='musicjunkie']Yes but more than 5 days after release your copy is not guaranteed but your money is in the system until you do something with it.

The wordage makes it seem like its just a straight $20 bump. If I remember it was 'trade-in 4 or more games get an extra $20' so it's not 'for every 4', again, if I remember right. Can't really tell for sure until Sunday when it's active in the system.[/QUOTE]
Interesting, I guess I won't have to cancel a bunch of preorders since I want most of them, I guess I'll pick them up once they go on sale.

[quote name='skiizim']What a headache I had at BB today!!! The bastard tried to tell me I had to wait until after I received my Gamers Club card (which is tied to my RZ number and told him about but he "knew" everything) to get the additional %10. I had to wait for him to fix that and then the I didn't receive the bonus for pre-ordering Rage and had to wait on a gift card to fix that problem. What should have been at the most a 20 minute transaction turned into almost an hour, I only traded in 5 games too.[/QUOTE]

I was in my BB Tuesday and signed up for Unlocked and bringing games in. The guy logging the games in said it's been two weeks since he signed up and he never got a card.

[quote name='fmwross2']I was in my BB Tuesday and signed up for Unlocked and bringing games in. The guy logging the games in said it's been two weeks since he signed up and he never got a card.[/QUOTE]
We're supposed to get a separate card for our gamersclub membership? I thought it was supposed to be linked with our rewards zone card, also on that note I have the gamers club membership but I didn't pay for it, I don't get the gamer magazine but I still get the 10% boost for trade ins so is that just my case or is it available to everyone?

[quote name='exaznkid']We're supposed to get a separate card for our gamersclub membership? I thought it was supposed to be linked with our rewards zone card, also on that note I have the gamers club membership but I didn't pay for it, I don't get the gamer magazine but I still get the 10% boost for trade ins so is that just my case or is it available to everyone?[/QUOTE]

Either something glitched or you have just been getting the bonus in error (employee error to be specific).

[quote name='donut']Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?

dammit, this is not SD...[/QUOTE]

Look at how often that question was asked in the last thread, might as well just get it out of the way in hopes less people ask about it later. I also made sure to mention the possible repercussions of over-doing it.

Unrelated to that, I'm sure all the upcoming promo info is solid, but until it is "official" it's best to just keep it separated (and try to avoid the, "I went in to get the 50% bonus for Batman and they told me that promo didn't exist, wtf? Liars! I hate Worst Buy!" responses).

[quote name='DerClaw']I think the more interesting part will be how it is entered into their system -- if it is one of those radio button things, then it's probably just the straight 20 bucks, but if the system somehow just does it, there is a chance that you might be able to get somebody to click one of the % promos as well, getting the trade value, plus 20 bucks, plus like 40% of all of that. Probably not intended to work that way, but if they don't program it right, maybe we get lucky for a few hours :)[/QUOTE]

Very very doubtful. Thus far the promos have always been a radio button and if its something like 'trade x games get x%/$' that button is automatically checked on the promo page if your trade-in is eligible for it.

Also the 40% promo ends on Saturday so no chance that will stack regardless of how the system adds the $20.

Also, the gamers club unlocked is supposed to get some sort of sticker that goes on your existing reward zone card but it isn't required to get the bonus (they still look up your info on the computer).

[quote name='confoosious']I understand where you're coming from but people will ask it anyway. It should be in the FAQ.

The good news is that BB seems to be keeping track of all the preorder cancellations so that will curb the abuse.[/QUOTE]
I don't like it because they send your info too a third party.
:roll:

The new system, now operating in all of our U.S. Best Buy stores, requires the customer to present a valid photo ID card at the time of the return. If a customer does not have a valid ID card at the time of a return, our store employees will politely ask the customer to return to the store at a later time with their ID card, or, if the person is a minor, with someone who has a valid form of ID. All information is captured in accordance with state and federal laws regarding consumer privacy; while the information captured varies from state-to-state, it includes ID card identification number, name and date of birth.
The information scanned from the ID card is stored in a secure third-party database (managed by The Retail Equation, or TRE) that is used only to authorize returns; the data will never be sold or used for marketing purposes. TRE complies with all state and federal laws regarding the security of the information, and the system provides far greater security than more traditional retail return practices, such as collecting consumer information on hardcopy return slips or saving consumer information on paper logs.

We encourage customers with questions about this new system to contact us at 1-888-BEST BUY or at www.forums.bestbuy.com.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Also, the gamers club unlocked is supposed to get some sort of sticker that goes on your existing reward zone card but it isn't required to get the bonus (they still look up your info on the computer).[/QUOTE]
I feel like a sticker on your card is just as easy to forget/lose as the card itself but thankfully they can look it up by RZ #. If you don't know it they can look it up. I assume in the future you will be able to search by phone #.

Also sucks for the people (myself included) who have yet to see Unlocked membership on their RZ account in which I'd say bring the receipt your Unlocked purchase is on since Unlocked can not be returned/refunded.

This sucks.im in BB parking lot trying to figure what went wrong. The clerk forgot to add my unlocked bonus and told me they cnt void the deal and that i would have to call customer service and get the 10% added or they will ship me a new card with the total balance.whats weird is the gaming supervisor asked why i had multiples and something about it being state law that they can only excepf one copy..wtf...sorry for typo

Second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and so on. Personally I've stopped answering questions that're covered in the OP of threads most times. If people can't look up an answer themselves, then I say fuck 'em.
[quote name='phantomphoenix']I say we ignore them. Legitimate questions get ignored/overlooked all the time. How is that fair?[/QUOTE]
But therein lies the issue as EVERYBODY feels that their question is legitimate, even if it's been covered in the OP of a thread AND answered 100 times in the past 10 pages already.:roll:

Sometimes you just have to let people do their own legwork and ignore their questions, though some will ask them every hour on the hour till someone finally relents and answers them.:roll: Personally I'd love to see temp bans for people re-asking questions dozens of times like that.

Oh and I guess I'm sitting out trading anything in till the next 50% promo since PS2 games are excluded and it's $5 min tiv supposedly.:roll:

Another successful flip, wish I didn't have to keep leaving home every night to trade the prior gamefly delivery, but i'm not going to be caught by a price reduction. Hell no.

[quote name='musicjunkie']I feel like a sticker on your card is just as easy to forget/lose as the card itself but thankfully they can look it up by RZ #. If you don't know it they can look it up. I assume in the future you will be able to search by phone #.
[/QUOTE]
They CAN look it up by phone #. That's how I always do it because I don't have a physical card (signed up online).

I'm trying to decide whether to trade in Gears of War 3 now or keep it for another month or so. The current TIV is $29 and I don't know how much it will drop in the coming weeks. Does anyone have an idea of how long this game will hold its value?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Oh and I guess I'm sitting out trading anything in till the next 50% promo since PS2 games are excluded and it's $5 min tiv supposedly.:roll:[/QUOTE]
yes get mad at best buy for not giving you $20 for your four $.99 games.

[quote name='IamCaleb']I'm trying to decide whether to trade in Gears of War 3 now or keep it for another month or so. The current TIV is $29 and I don't know how much it will drop in the coming weeks. Does anyone have an idea of how long this game will hold its value?[/QUOTE]
13 and half days. A Best Buy Employee named Ted Tedderson will log into the Best Buy trade in system at 9:14 Eastern Time on October 11, 2011. He will receive a call from his fiance, which will delay his entry of the new TIV, permitting 17 additional trade-ins at the inflated prices, during his 7 minute phone conversation. At 9:21 a.m., Eastern Time, the trade in value will be decreased to 12 dollars.

bread's done
Back