10%-25% off 72 Pins "NEStalgic" Artwork

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

Friend of CAG, Ron Workman, has helped launch 72 Pins, an artistic combination of the games of today with the awesomeness of the 8-bit era. These are artist created items that use classic (and functioning) NES cartridges recycled as an art canvas.

Use coupon code CAGDEALS to get 10% off or order 4 or more carts and use CAGROCKS to get 25% off your entire order.

Posted Image 10%-25% off at 72 Pins

Edited by CheapyD, 01 October 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#2 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

These are pretty cool and would make good gifts

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#3 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

These are pretty cool and would make good gifts

Except that someone may think it's an 8-bit version of the game and it really isn't.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#4 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

More pics:

_________
Whipsmartbanky designed the Cheapy Award artwork and 72 pins provided the carts and printing:
Posted Image
Amazon's 2011 Cheapy Award by CheapyD, on Flickr

Edited by CheapyD, 30 September 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#5 solsovly

solsovly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

Except that someone may think it's an 8-bit version of the game and it really isn't.

That would make that person an unlikely candidate for this kind of gift.

Pretty cool concept.

#6 abhinav

abhinav

"Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

I saw these earlier today and was eyeing up the Halo one, this deal makes it all the more tempting...

Twitter: Onekumar
Now Playing:
ifqh2N3.pngyErIY3s.png2q1uoso.jpg

#7 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

So these are recycled NES cartridges with 8 bit art of current gen games?

#8 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

So these are recycled NES cartridges with 8 bit art of current gen games?

yes

#9 lurknomore

lurknomore

Selling my stuff....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

I wonder what the secret goodies inside would be.....I would love a Halo/Metroid cart or a GoW/Zelda cart.

#10 snatcher33

snatcher33

Marry me Jenny!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

These are pretty sweet!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#11 xskaxninjax

xskaxninjax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

While this is an awesome idea and the pictures are pretty cool, I couldn't justify spending even $15 on one of these, when it's really just a sticker placed on an old NES game you can buy for under a dollar.

#12 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:30 AM

I wonder which NES carts they tend to use. Something that's common or flavorless (Super Mario Bros. or Baseball, respectively) would seem to make sense.

#13 BettercallPitPat

BettercallPitPat

to-go cup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:30 AM

yeah, for under 10 i wouldve been in for a few gifts, cool idea.

#14 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

The art is neat, but the video game conservationist/archivist/curator in me is screaming mad right now.

#15 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

It'd be cool if they went all out and made a custom NES style cartridge case for the Disc. Maybe something to consider for the future.

Something like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

It would also be awesome to have a matching NES box like this fan made one for Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Posted Image

#16 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:53 AM

They all...say...Nintendo on them.

#17 KingDox

KingDox

Scream My Name

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:57 AM

He should just sell the stickers on Esty for much less. I can slap a sticker on my own rescued NES cart. I really doubt he's paying the license rights to all all those games he's selling so I dunno how he's able to justify 20 bucks a pop.

#18 Raven19x

Raven19x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

I find it hard enough to bite on some actual games for $20.. this... no thanks.

#19 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Seems kind of stupid, since most NES box art didn't have pixelated art on the front. The ones that did were Nintendo titles that were actual 8 bit art. I'd be more into it if they were custom paintings of new games in the style of NES games for the labels.

#20 yesokyesok

yesokyesok

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

So they tore up a game to sell crappy hipster art?
:360: Is all I need.

#21 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

While it is cool and it's a thoughtful idea, me myself personally I couldn't justify paying $20.00 for it. Maybe I could if it had an 8-bit version of the game on the cover.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#22 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

Seems kind of stupid, since most NES box art didn't have pixelated art on the front. The ones that did were Nintendo titles that were actual 8 bit art. I'd be more into it if they were custom paintings of new games in the style of NES games for the labels.

Just a heads up: Every single original NES launch cart was done in an 8-bit style. Every one.
We attempted to replicate that. Also, I understand. You dont get that this is literally about art and supporting artists. No problem. I'd like the price to be 10 bucks also but it seriously is not possible.
To the $1 cart guy. If you think you can recreate these with art from talented artists, pay them, have the stickers removed and replace on both sides with double gloss vinyl for anywhere close to a dollar, please message me. The 6 months of work and research into the best quality printing at the fairest price I did must have been wrong. Your insight would be very valuable to me. I will look into low quality paper printing and scotch tape and stealing art from google images.

To everyone else: I hope you say 'That's a pretty neat idea and some cool video game art." That's what we care about most. I'm sorry we can't do it cheaper. It just isn't a cheap thing to do. I try to make a deal for CAG folks, but supporting artists and getting a quality product seems to be far down the list for many of you. Sorry.
If any of you really like the art and just can't afford to buy 4 to get that 25% discount I understand. I want people that want these to have them. Here is a code for the first 5 people to use the checkout code GIVEME5 will receive $5 off GoW. It's 25% off of one game. Maybe that helps.

Edited by RonWorkman, 01 October 2011 - 02:03 AM.

#23 BJownes

BJownes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

Pretty cool idea, but there's really nothing stopping me from photoshopping my own covers, getting nice stickers made, and recycling some old NES carts myself. It'd be easier to justify making it personalized than spending more money on something that someone else made.
Still, would be cool to have a bunch of these displayed alongside my favorite current generation games.
[adult swim]

#24 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

Don't worry too much Ron, a good portion of people just don't get it. It's the same group of people that buy a digital SLR and think they are a photographer now.

Sure they THINK they could do it, but you thought of it and did. You made it art and it's cool.
Posted Image

#25 iwannadie

iwannadie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

He should just sell the stickers on Esty for much less. I can slap a sticker on my own rescued NES cart. I really doubt he's paying the license rights to all all those games he's selling so I dunno how he's able to justify 20 bucks a pop.

I was wondering if he is paying for the licenses, he's got to be right...
Posted Image

#26 FairyLeviathan

FairyLeviathan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:06 AM

I thought this was a nice thing to do for everyone, thanks for the hard work!

My suggestion would be to actually leave a game inside the shell...though on second thought it'd probably create incessant bitching about "Why is the game on the front of the box not the same as what I'm playing!??!?one" like the usual morons/trolls would get at.

It's not within my price range to do any ordering right now, but I still love the nostalgia factor.

Again, thanks for bringing back the old days for us!
Posted Image

You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane, FFIX

#27 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:06 AM

Have the respective game creators been contacted prior to making these and putting them up for sale?

I can't imagine EA would be like "yeah, go ahead and use the Dead Space logo and characters and sell the items for profit".
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#28 sherisdoppel

sherisdoppel

The Eye in Shadow

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

Have the respective game creators been contacted prior to making these and putting them up for sale?

I can't imagine EA would be like "yeah, go ahead and use the Dead Space logo and characters and sell the items for profit".

This is what I've been wondering.
whitespace

#29 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:14 AM

This is what I've been wondering.

on the one hand, screw the game makers, this is just artistic representation.

on the other, he'd absolutely lose a lawsuit if he didn't license them

finally, if he didn't license them, this technically wouldn't be allowed on CAG right?

just saying.

#30 nervousxtian

nervousxtian

proofisindeepudding

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

Ron, ignore the haters.

A lot of CAG'rs think if stuff isn't damn there free, it's a ripoff.

What you're doing is cool, and if they can't fork out $18 for a cart.. then forget 'em.