10%-25% off 72 Pins "NEStalgic" Artwork

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]25214[/IMG-R]Friend of CAG, Ron Workman, has helped launch 72 Pins, an artistic combination of the games of today with the awesomeness of the 8-bit era. These are artist created items that use classic (and functioning) NES cartridges recycled as an art canvas.

Use coupon code CAGDEALS to get 10% off or order 4 or more carts and use CAGROCKS to get 25% off your entire order.

nes.gif
10%-25% off at 72 Pins

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kube00']These are pretty cool and would make good gifts[/QUOTE]

Except that someone may think it's an 8-bit version of the game and it really isn't.

More pics:

[IMG-L=5838]25220[/IMG-L][IMG-L=5838]25219[/IMG-L][IMG-L=5838]25218[/IMG-L][IMG-L=5838]25217[/IMG-L][IMG-L=5838]25216[/IMG-L][IMG-L=5838]25215[/IMG-L]

_________
Whipsmartbanky designed the Cheapy Award artwork and 72 pins provided the carts and printing:

Amazon's 2011 Cheapy Award by CheapyD, on Flickr

[quote name='Kaiser499']Except that someone may think it's an 8-bit version of the game and it really isn't.[/QUOTE]

That would make that person an unlikely candidate for this kind of gift.

Pretty cool concept.

While this is an awesome idea and the pictures are pretty cool, I couldn't justify spending even $15 on one of these, when it's really just a sticker placed on an old NES game you can buy for under a dollar.

I wonder which NES carts they tend to use. Something that's common or flavorless (Super Mario Bros. or Baseball, respectively) would seem to make sense.

It'd be cool if they went all out and made a custom NES style cartridge case for the Disc. Maybe something to consider for the future.

Something like this:

nes-cd-pack-450x337.jpg

nes-cd-pack2-450x337.jpg

It would also be awesome to have a matching NES box like this fan made one for Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Scott-Pilgrim-Vs.-The-World-NES-DVD-Case-1.jpg

He should just sell the stickers on Esty for much less. I can slap a sticker on my own rescued NES cart. I really doubt he's paying the license rights to all all those games he's selling so I dunno how he's able to justify 20 bucks a pop.

Seems kind of stupid, since most NES box art didn't have pixelated art on the front. The ones that did were Nintendo titles that were actual 8 bit art. I'd be more into it if they were custom paintings of new games in the style of NES games for the labels.

[quote name='Gosha']Seems kind of stupid, since most NES box art didn't have pixelated art on the front. The ones that did were Nintendo titles that were actual 8 bit art. I'd be more into it if they were custom paintings of new games in the style of NES games for the labels.[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up: Every single NES launch game did use an 8-bit style of art on the front. Every single one. Considering that the artists were trying to replicate that, I think they did great work.
I saw a comment earlier about slapping a sticker on a dollar cart. It becomes pretty clear that you don't understand what this is. Artists worked to create art on these carts and the majority profit goes to them. I know you probably could care less about supporting working artists so I will go to your other point, if you can slap a high quality, double gloss sticker, front and back on a good condition NES with awesome 8-bit art that talented artists created for $1, I would like to place an order for 10,000 right now. It also takes time and labor to remove the old stickers front and back.
This is art. It's a neat idea. It isn't a low quality item made on a home printer. It will make people think it's real if they didn't know better. That's what we went for.
I did my best to hook CAG people up with a deal. The carts simply cost a lot to make. I wanted the price to hit $15-16 (before discounts) but in this first batch, it just wasn't possible.
I'm Sorry you can't appreciate these the way they were intended.

While it is cool and it's a thoughtful idea, me myself personally I couldn't justify paying $20.00 for it. Maybe I could if it had an 8-bit version of the game on the cover.

[quote name='Gosha']Seems kind of stupid, since most NES box art didn't have pixelated art on the front. The ones that did were Nintendo titles that were actual 8 bit art. I'd be more into it if they were custom paintings of new games in the style of NES games for the labels.[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up: Every single original NES launch cart was done in an 8-bit style. Every one.
We attempted to replicate that. Also, I understand. You dont get that this is literally about art and supporting artists. No problem. I'd like the price to be 10 bucks also but it seriously is not possible.
To the $1 cart guy. If you think you can recreate these with art from talented artists, pay them, have the stickers removed and replace on both sides with double gloss vinyl for anywhere close to a dollar, please message me. The 6 months of work and research into the best quality printing at the fairest price I did must have been wrong. Your insight would be very valuable to me. I will look into low quality paper printing and scotch tape and stealing art from google images.

To everyone else: I hope you say 'That's a pretty neat idea and some cool video game art." That's what we care about most. I'm sorry we can't do it cheaper. It just isn't a cheap thing to do. I try to make a deal for CAG folks, but supporting artists and getting a quality product seems to be far down the list for many of you. Sorry.
If any of you really like the art and just can't afford to buy 4 to get that 25% discount I understand. I want people that want these to have them. Here is a code for the first 5 people to use the checkout code GIVEME5 will receive $5 off GoW. It's 25% off of one game. Maybe that helps.

Pretty cool idea, but there's really nothing stopping me from photoshopping my own covers, getting nice stickers made, and recycling some old NES carts myself. It'd be easier to justify making it personalized than spending more money on something that someone else made.
Still, would be cool to have a bunch of these displayed alongside my favorite current generation games.

Don't worry too much Ron, a good portion of people just don't get it. It's the same group of people that buy a digital SLR and think they are a photographer now.

Sure they THINK they could do it, but you thought of it and did. You made it art and it's cool.

[quote name='KingDox']He should just sell the stickers on Esty for much less. I can slap a sticker on my own rescued NES cart. I really doubt he's paying the license rights to all all those games he's selling so I dunno how he's able to justify 20 bucks a pop.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if he is paying for the licenses, he's got to be right...

I thought this was a nice thing to do for everyone, thanks for the hard work!

My suggestion would be to actually leave a game inside the shell...though on second thought it'd probably create incessant bitching about "Why is the game on the front of the box not the same as what I'm playing!??!?one" like the usual morons/trolls would get at.

It's not within my price range to do any ordering right now, but I still love the nostalgia factor.

Again, thanks for bringing back the old days for us!

Have the respective game creators been contacted prior to making these and putting them up for sale?

I can't imagine EA would be like "yeah, go ahead and use the Dead Space logo and characters and sell the items for profit".

[quote name='blindinglights']Have the respective game creators been contacted prior to making these and putting them up for sale?

I can't imagine EA would be like "yeah, go ahead and use the Dead Space logo and characters and sell the items for profit".[/QUOTE]

This is what I've been wondering.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']This is what I've been wondering.[/QUOTE]

on the one hand, screw the game makers, this is just artistic representation.

on the other, he'd absolutely lose a lawsuit if he didn't license them

finally, if he didn't license them, this technically wouldn't be allowed on CAG right?

just saying.

Ron, ignore the haters.

A lot of CAG'rs think if stuff isn't damn there free, it's a ripoff.

What you're doing is cool, and if they can't fork out $18 for a cart.. then forget 'em.

this is honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw these, but its been too long since I took IP and trademarks to recall where this would fall.

[quote name='caltab']this is honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw these, but its been too long since I took IP and trademarks to recall where this would fall.[/QUOTE]

Randomly, I had read this article recently:

http://waxy.org/2011/06/kind_of_screwed/

I wonder if the artwork is based on existing imagery or the artists made up the 8bit from scratch.

edit: since I am not a lawyer, I should change my previous statement to say "he'd probably lose a lawsuit..."

[quote name='confoosious']Randomly, I had read this article recently:

http://waxy.org/2011/06/kind_of_screwed/

I wonder if the artwork is based on existing imagery or the artists made up the 8bit from scratch.[/QUOTE]

a key difference with these is that they are also using trademarked names, not really sure how that changes it though

[quote name='FairyLeviathan']I thought this was a nice thing to do for everyone, thanks for the hard work!

My suggestion would be to actually leave a game inside the shell...though on second thought it'd probably create incessant bitching about "Why is the game on the front of the box not the same as what I'm playing!??!?one" like the usual morons/trolls would get at.

Note from Ron: The original game is intact and still working inside.

It's a fine line with the law and artwork. The "fair use law" is supposed to protect artists but the exact numbers are a myth. You'll have people tell you that you have to change at least 10% or 20%, others say you can "use" 10% of the source image.

Fact is that if it comes to court it's going to be judged however those judging it see fit. You could change an image 50% and have it look almost exactly the same...while changing only 5% could change the whole piece.

Also, as already said, you're also dealing with logos and names, most of which are copyrighted in themselves.

So yeah I'm on the same boat as "it's a cool idea, some will get it some won't...personally I can't justify the purchase....however I'm curious what legal precautions were taken.

[quote name='nervousxtian']Ron, ignore the haters.

A lot of CAG'rs think if stuff isn't damn there free, it's a ripoff.

What you're doing is cool, and if they can't fork out $18 for a cart.. then forget 'em.[/QUOTE]

So I take it you bought one then?

I REALLY want that Dead Space cart since that is personally my favorite series. Though I can't justify at this point spending $23 shipped on it. It is a really cool item and I'd like to add it to my Dead Space collectables but I just can't get myself to do it. I hope you the best of luck with you're business and selling these unique one of a kind items though!

[quote name='NismoZ32']I REALLY want that Dead Space cart since that is personally my favorite series. Though I can't justify at this point spending $23 shipped on it. It is a really cool item and I'd like to add it to my Dead Space collectables but I just can't get myself to do it. I hope you the best of luck with you're business and selling these unique one of a kind items though![/QUOTE]

1AKN5W Try that code when checking out. Maybe it will help. Its a 1 time use code for Dead Space

[quote name='AvidWriter']$20 for a non-working NES cart with just a pic of a modern day game on it? People really buy this? Wow.[/QUOTE]

If it's not for you, just STFU and move on.

:roll:

Recreating new game at in an 8-bit palette is pretty nifty. I dig the concept. (Even if I question the legality.)

[quote name='AvidWriter']$20 for a non-working NES cart with just a pic of a modern day game on it? People really buy this? Wow.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where people are getting that the carts dont work. If you have a second, feel free to read the description next to every single cart that explains that they do work.
If we print these on a poster would you understand this is art? We can do that. Seriously. We just thought it would be neater to print on a cart. Posters were far cheaper to do even.

I really can't afford one atm, but it's a cool idea. And if you happen to read this, tell whoever did the Bioshock cart he's a genius, I've done a bit of Bioshock based pixel art and have never for the life of me been able to get a Big Daddy looking anywhere near right.

I'd buy a poster instead of a cart. Least you can hang the poster and display it if it's a good sized one, a cart is too small. Or maybe have a poster and cart bundle.

[quote name='RonWorkman']1AKN5W Try that code when checking out. Maybe it will help. Its a 1 time use code for Dead Space[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the discount. You talked me into it haha. :D

[quote name='Kaiser499']I'd buy a poster instead of a cart. Least you can hang the poster and display it if it's a good sized one, a cart is too small. Or maybe have a poster and cart bundle.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It just isnt cheap. We have a lot wrapped up in this and simply couldnt afford to do all the cool stuff we wanted. Something else worth noting, there are maybe 20 to a max of 40 of any one design. I'm sure you know it isn't cheap (per unit) to only print a handful of anything professionally. If we made prints we wanted really high quality paper which would run us 8 to 10 bucks per print. We aren't looking to take the cheap road and our budget was at it's end so it will have to wait.

Worth noting: Around 25%-30% of the carts we order just cant be used. They are too scratched up or faded. The place we buy from only cares about if the game works. So we lose that money. The vinyl stickers aren't much different. They go on and stay on. These are all done by hand. If there is a bubble, you just can't peel it off and start again or squeegee it out. It stretches the vinyl and looks like shit. So, a lot of money gets wasted there.
I don't mind being totally honest about how this all works. I'm not in this to get rich. We wanted to do a neat art project based on an idea we thought was really cool. If someone really wants something I'm happy to help out if money is tight. If you are being an ass because you cant appreciate an artists talent/value/work and think you could do the same for a few bucks and a home printer, I'd rather you not own this stuff even if you could afford it. It's 18 bucks or 15 if you use coupons. I know shipping sucks. I agree. Our team is working hard on a machine that emails carts to people but so far we have had very little luck. Our apologies. If you are in the U.S. The post office charges 4.95 for 1-3 days. We charge 4.95. Blame them.
If anyone has a cool idea about making something I'm willing to listen. Or if you have a site and want to reward your readers I'd be happy to maybe hook you up with something to give away for a contest.
If you need anything else, feel free to ask or comment.

[quote name='RonWorkman']I agree. It just isnt cheap. We have a lot wrapped up in this and simply couldnt afford to do all the cool stuff we wanted. Something else worth noting, there are maybe 20 to a max of 40 of any one design. I'm sure you know it isn't cheap (per unit) to only print a handful of anything professionally. If we made prints we wanted really high quality paper which would run us 8 to 10 bucks per print. We aren't looking to take the cheap road and our budget was at it's end so it will have to wait.[/QUOTE]

Damn you, I've had this exact idea for awhile now I've just procrastinated. That being said, you did an absolute fantastic job on it. If you ever decide to make prints look into screen printing. You can find some reasonably cheap indie printers and nothing beats the texture or hand printed touch of a screen print. Another option is to look into screen printing it yourself. I built some of my own presses and exposure units a few years ago and never looked back. It's an invaluable, easy, and cheap trade to have as an artist.

I'll defiantly put out that that it's great work and I appreciate you doing this as it will look cool in my collection. :applause:

I personally don't have a suggestion other then when the opportunity comes that if you guys can/decide to do posters I would absolutely love a Dead Space poster as well. I think that blown up huge and hanging in my gaming den would look awesome. :D

bread's done
Back