10%-25% off 72 Pins "NEStalgic" Artwork

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#31 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

this is honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw these, but its been too long since I took IP and trademarks to recall where this would fall.

Randomly, I had read this article recently:

http://waxy.org/2011...ind_of_screwed/

I wonder if the artwork is based on existing imagery or the artists made up the 8bit from scratch.

edit: since I am not a lawyer, I should change my previous statement to say "he'd probably lose a lawsuit..."

#32 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

It's a fine line with the law and artwork. The "fair use law" is supposed to protect artists but the exact numbers are a myth. You'll have people tell you that you have to change at least 10% or 20%, others say you can "use" 10% of the source image.

Fact is that if it comes to court it's going to be judged however those judging it see fit. You could change an image 50% and have it look almost exactly the same...while changing only 5% could change the whole piece.

Also, as already said, you're also dealing with logos and names, most of which are copyrighted in themselves.

So yeah I'm on the same boat as "it's a cool idea, some will get it some won't...personally I can't justify the purchase....however I'm curious what legal precautions were taken.

233526.png

https://www.facebook...stractedRealism (pinup/boudoir/etc)
https://www.facebook...ulhaPhotography (scenery/families/babies/etc)

#33 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Ron, ignore the haters.

A lot of CAG'rs think if stuff isn't damn there free, it's a ripoff.

What you're doing is cool, and if they can't fork out $18 for a cart.. then forget 'em.

So I take it you bought one then?

#34 NismoZ32

NismoZ32

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

I REALLY want that Dead Space cart since that is personally my favorite series. Though I can't justify at this point spending $23 shipped on it. It is a really cool item and I'd like to add it to my Dead Space collectables but I just can't get myself to do it. I hope you the best of luck with you're business and selling these unique one of a kind items though!

#35 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:13 AM

$20 for a non-working NES cart with just a pic of a modern day game on it? People really buy this? Wow.

#36 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

I REALLY want that Dead Space cart since that is personally my favorite series. Though I can't justify at this point spending $23 shipped on it. It is a really cool item and I'd like to add it to my Dead Space collectables but I just can't get myself to do it. I hope you the best of luck with you're business and selling these unique one of a kind items though!

1AKN5W Try that code when checking out. Maybe it will help. Its a 1 time use code for Dead Space

#37 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

$20 for a non-working NES cart with just a pic of a modern day game on it? People really buy this? Wow.

If it's not for you, just STFU and move on.

:roll:

Recreating new game at in an 8-bit palette is pretty nifty. I dig the concept. (Even if I question the legality.)

#38 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:16 AM

Not sure where people are getting that the carts dont work. If you have a second, feel free to read the description next to every single cart that explains that they do work.
If we print these on a poster would you understand this is art? We can do that. Seriously. We just thought it would be neater to print on a cart. Posters were far cheaper to do even.

#39 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:19 AM

I'd buy a poster instead of a cart. Least you can hang the poster and display it if it's a good sized one, a cart is too small. Or maybe have a poster and cart bundle.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check out my Gaming Stream.

#40 NismoZ32

NismoZ32

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

1AKN5W Try that code when checking out. Maybe it will help. Its a 1 time use code for Dead Space

Thank you very much for the discount. You talked me into it haha. :D

#41 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

I'd buy a poster instead of a cart. Least you can hang the poster and display it if it's a good sized one, a cart is too small. Or maybe have a poster and cart bundle.

I agree. It just isnt cheap. We have a lot wrapped up in this and simply couldnt afford to do all the cool stuff we wanted. Something else worth noting, there are maybe 20 to a max of 40 of any one design. I'm sure you know it isn't cheap (per unit) to only print a handful of anything professionally. If we made prints we wanted really high quality paper which would run us 8 to 10 bucks per print. We aren't looking to take the cheap road and our budget was at it's end so it will have to wait.

#42 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

Worth noting: Around 25%-30% of the carts we order just cant be used. They are too scratched up or faded. The place we buy from only cares about if the game works. So we lose that money. The vinyl stickers aren't much different. They go on and stay on. These are all done by hand. If there is a bubble, you just can't peel it off and start again or squeegee it out. It stretches the vinyl and looks like shit. So, a lot of money gets wasted there.
I don't mind being totally honest about how this all works. I'm not in this to get rich. We wanted to do a neat art project based on an idea we thought was really cool. If someone really wants something I'm happy to help out if money is tight. If you are being an ass because you cant appreciate an artists talent/value/work and think you could do the same for a few bucks and a home printer, I'd rather you not own this stuff even if you could afford it. It's 18 bucks or 15 if you use coupons. I know shipping sucks. I agree. Our team is working hard on a machine that emails carts to people but so far we have had very little luck. Our apologies. If you are in the U.S. The post office charges 4.95 for 1-3 days. We charge 4.95. Blame them.
If anyone has a cool idea about making something I'm willing to listen. Or if you have a site and want to reward your readers I'd be happy to maybe hook you up with something to give away for a contest.
If you need anything else, feel free to ask or comment.

Edited by RonWorkman, 01 October 2011 - 03:47 AM.

#43 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:36 AM

I agree. It just isnt cheap. We have a lot wrapped up in this and simply couldnt afford to do all the cool stuff we wanted. Something else worth noting, there are maybe 20 to a max of 40 of any one design. I'm sure you know it isn't cheap (per unit) to only print a handful of anything professionally. If we made prints we wanted really high quality paper which would run us 8 to 10 bucks per print. We aren't looking to take the cheap road and our budget was at it's end so it will have to wait.

Damn you, I've had this exact idea for awhile now I've just procrastinated. That being said, you did an absolute fantastic job on it. If you ever decide to make prints look into screen printing. You can find some reasonably cheap indie printers and nothing beats the texture or hand printed touch of a screen print. Another option is to look into screen printing it yourself. I built some of my own presses and exposure units a few years ago and never looked back. It's an invaluable, easy, and cheap trade to have as an artist.

#44 NismoZ32

NismoZ32

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

I'll defiantly put out that that it's great work and I appreciate you doing this as it will look cool in my collection. :applause:

I personally don't have a suggestion other then when the opportunity comes that if you guys can/decide to do posters I would absolutely love a Dead Space poster as well. I think that blown up huge and hanging in my gaming den would look awesome. :D

#45 Hoarr

Hoarr

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

So they tore up a game to sell crappy hipster art?

People that throw around the term "hipster" just to describe something they don't like make me want to f'n vomit.

I like the idea and concept -- I already own some of my own original, gaming related "hipster art" though. Don't know how I would display something like this in my place, either...

I have no signature. :(

#46 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

People that throw around the term "hipster" just to describe something they don't like make me want to f'n vomit.

I like the idea and concept -- I already own some of my own original, gaming related "hipster art" though. Don't know how I would display something like this in my place, either...

I laughed about the hipster comment myself. Those of you that know me probably laughed as well. I'm a slightly redneck asshole that happens to like gaming, video game art, and supporting artists. I have a network of blogs on Tumblr that exists to promote artists even.
As far as ruining games: Look, nobody was waiting in line to buy the shitty games we used. I refused to even use Mario games because someone, somewhere wants them even though there are millions sitting in warehouses being unused around the world. Its like being pissed if I dug up all of those buried ET landfill carts and used them. The irony is, I probably care more about real gaming than the asshole who made the comment. At least I am actively trying to do something cool in it rather than bitch and call people names.
PS: Is this the Hoarr I know from Tumblr? If so, you can vouch for what Im about Im sure.
PSS: I just somehow finally noticed the sig. Sorry. I'm an idiot.

#47 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:54 AM

If you are experiencing loses from throwing out unusable carts or from misapplication of stickers, it seems like it could make some sense to sell the stickers on their own. You would also save huge on shipping that way.

#48 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

Seems like it would be cheaper to buy some cheapo NES games (a local mom/pop store has them in a $2.99 bin) and print out some custom artwork and glue them on.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#49 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:00 AM

If you are experiencing loses from throwing out unusable carts or from misapplication of stickers, it seems like it could make some sense to sell the stickers on their own. You would also save huge on shipping that way.

I 100% want to do that and planned on it. It might sound silly but these aren't a random sticker. This shit is on there for life. It's a lot more like how touchy window tint is compared to a sticker on the bottom of a skateboard. So it is really easy to Fuck up and ruin it So at the start we have to make them and get them out in the world and get buzz going. Over time Im really hoping our costs can go down to 15-16 retail per unit before any coupons even. In the first batch it wasn't possible. We already bought up 500 or so carts before we thought about selling stickers so we kind of have to take one step at a time. Hell, if you have a good idea or a way to help us out or promote the artists, I don't have an issue with sending you some of these vinyl stickers.

#50 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

Why not sell the labels instead of the cartridge AND label...
I'd buy some for $4-5 a pop if they were just stickers you could apply yourself.

Considering it would save the cost of the cartridge and shipping AND the supposed cost of removing stickers/applying new ones as the creator mentioned (These carts are prob only worth $1 and shipping I'm guessing is over $2-3), probably would have been the better way to go.

The site is called Cheap Ass Gamer so trying to pimp these $20 cartridges with stickers isn't the best idea around here anyway.

Edit: Notice some others came to this conclusion :booty:
Posted Image

#51 Hoarr

Hoarr

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

I laughed about the hipster comment myself. Those of you that know me probably laughed as well. I'm a slightly redneck asshole that happens to like gaming, video game art, and supporting artists. I have a network of blogs on Tumblr that exists to promote artists even.
As far as ruining games: Look, nobody was waiting in line to buy the shitty games we used. I refused to even use Mario games because someone, somewhere wants them even though there are millions sitting in warehouses being unused around the world. Its like being pissed if I dug up all of those buried ET landfill carts and used them. The irony is, I probably care more about real gaming than the asshole who made the comment. At least I am actively trying to do something cool in it rather than bitch and call people names.
PS: Is this the Hoarr I know from Tumblr? If so, you can vouch for what Im about Im sure.

The one and the same -- I will vouch for you. Ron Workman is insanely dedicated to gaming, artists, and geek culture. I say this based on my own perception of what I've seen the guy do in the past couple of years not because I enjoy swinging off the nutsacks of D-List Internet celebrities.

I have no signature. :(

#52 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:07 AM

From me personally to you: Midnight (EST) CAG super cheap ass CAGs deal.
MFNKPR = $10 off any 2 carts. Next 10 people get it.

Our Twitter is currently running Buy any 2 carts and receive 50% off Okami. Starts at midnight, Saturday 10/1. Enter code 6A9SC8 as well.
@Hoarr - You say "D-List' I think your 'F' key is mixed up with the 'D'

#53 hpv

hpv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

Why do these clowns have HTML tags in their fucking page title? You can't center a title, fuckwads!

#54 Fatality

Fatality

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

Wow the Halo ones cool

#55 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

[QUOTE=xGunCrazyx;

The site is called Cheap Ass Gamer so trying to pimp these $20 cartridges with stickers isn't the best idea around here anyway.

Edit: Notice some others came to this conclusion :booty:[/QUOTE]

Its funny. At no point has there been a 20 dollar deal ever on CAG. It isnt regular ass price gamers. This is why Im posting deals. This is why the front post post has DEALS. Sorry if it sounds odd. Im giving out coupons and doing what I can, and everyone keeps talking about a price that just isnt true for CAG people. If you pay 20 bucks, it means you cant figure out how to type in the code. Only on cag is 25% off of anything still not a deal. Im trying people I swear. I have money in this thing and artist/staff have to be paid.
Do you gripe about Amazon deals and use the retail price"? I wanted to do this with CAG because I want real gamers who give a shit to own these and not hipsters with disposable cash buying something because its cool. I dont want that money. Understand now?

Edited by RonWorkman, 01 October 2011 - 04:22 AM.

#56 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:21 AM

Excuse me, you are trying to pimp $17-19 cartridges with stickers.
Same point really, you are just letting us save a dollar or so

Edit: $15 per cartridge with the new deal or is it $10 each if you buy 2? (Now that would be a "deal")

Still don't understand the point of not selling them as stickers though, you would make more money and we would save a lot more money :-s
Posted Image

#57 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

you could give shit away for free on CAG and someone would bitch about it.

#58 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

Edit: $15 per cartridge with the new deal or is it $10 each if you buy 2? (Now that would be a "deal")

Still don't understand the point of not selling them as stickers though, you would make more money and we would save a lot more money :-s

Because that entirely ruins the collectors aspect of it. Maybe selling to cheapassgamer is the wrong scene. You should be selling to the art collector community.

My advice, e-mail omgposters.com and see if they will publish an entry on your art, even more enticing if you e-mail them with the sale codes you're offering here. You would probably fair much better there.

#59 RonWorkman

RonWorkman

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:34 AM

I agree. We have carts with labels on them already that cost a ton to make. Do you suggest on day one we throw those out? Come on. its 15-18 bucks for CAG's + whatever bonus deals our PR person says I can use tonight which I have. It isn't all me sitting on a stack of carts I made. I have other people involved. In the future, I clearly as stated, would like to sell stickers. Understand that not everyone is you and they dont care about making things themselves. I have to appeal to the majority to some degree. The carts are selling just fine. Which is a huge relief because I put a lot of money into this. Originally I was hoping that if I made half of it back and got to help some artists out I'd be happy. Now your asking me to say screw that. The more these sell the faster I can do the things you are talking about. I'm not dumb. I agree with your point. This is day one. Please just give it some time.

#60 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:35 AM

Almost check out with Okami and Katamari, but even at $36.45 I just couldn't do it (yet).

Price aside, this is a really cool idea. The art is great, and the idea is unique enough. I'd love to have a few of these on display and I understand the costs associated with a project like this, but.. not yet.