Walmart Now Accepting Trade-ins. Games, electronics, etc

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

$60 is way overpriced for the majority of releases. They priced themselves into the creation of secondary market.

Qft...there are maybe 2 games a year that im willing to pay 60 for. Games are getting shorter and i dont give a shit about multiplayer. Fuck $60 plus tax. If thats what they "have" to charge to make money they need to figure out a way of cutting developing costs dramatically without compromising quality. Seriously people who pay full price for games are just suckers.

#32 fmwross2

fmwross2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Nintendo Wii, good condition, AC/Cables/Controllers/original box = yes

We'll pay you $8.

Too bad mine's not in perfect condition, that's $12

#33 Click

Click

I hate stupid people

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

Wrong.

Used games help and continue people playing games when they aren't buying new ones.

Right just like used cars, used books, and anything else used you can pick up at a pawn shop/goodwill etc. Dev's can lick me. If they want me to buy new ensure its something I desperately want. Many games aren't worth the 60 buck price tag.

$60 is way overpriced for the majority of releases. They priced themselves into the creation of secondary market.

LOL, so many of you nubs have no friggin' clue WTF you're talking about.

The developers don't set the prices. The PUBLISHERS do. MOST publishers don't give a crap about (non-first party) developers. They try to keep their games at as high of a price for as long as possible, even if it screws the developers. Developers usually have no say whatsoever about the price point of their games. They are at the mercy of the publishers that funds the development of their games. It's a similar situation with musicians and record labels...

Oh, and in case some of you are too young or too dumb to remember, it was Microsoft that started the whole $60 for new games trend. Before Xbox 360 (games) came out, all brand new video games were $40 - $50. You want to blame the high prices of new games on someone? Blame M$ and greedy publishers, NOT the developers.

I agree a large majority of games aren't worth $60. However, the cost of producing games these days have skyrocketed, especially AAA titles. The gaming industry is screwed up... with the used games market (us included) being part of the problem. I personally try my best to not buy used games, even if I have to wait months after the release to purchase a game new at a dropped price point. But sometimes it's unavoidable and I resort to buying used games from Gamefly because I'm not rich. At least Gamefly bought the games new and already gave money to the publishers / developers.

This is not really 100% true. In fact I would argue used games help many developers sell new games. Especially in the cases of sequels. I did not buy Gears of War 1 or 2 new but I loved them so much I had to buy GOW3 day 1. If I never had the chance to buy the first 2 cheap I may have never even thought of buying the third new. Same goes for games like Saints Row...I am sure many people picked up the earlier games used and now are ready to buy the third one new on day one. Used games have their place in the industry. It is when people buy a game used for $54.99 just to save $5 that hurts the industry. I would also argue some games should not be $60 new from the get go and thus used sales thrive for those games. Deus Ex is a perfect example of how reducing the price can drive new sales while keeping used sales at bay. I am sure they sold more copies new with their strategy than keeping a high price for too long forcing people to buy used.

And used games help the industry by opening people up to new games. I bought Portal 2 new as a result of enjoying Portal used. I wouldnt have bought either new if I wasnt able to sample it for cheaper.

This is the only valid, positive (for developers, at least) argument for used games. But again, the developers and publishers get no cut of the profit of used game purchases. Only the middlemen (Gamestop/EB, Best Buy, Amazon, now Walmart, etc.) get any of the profit in used game sales. Of course flippers do too. Point is, the money doesn't go back to the publishers, who finance the developers so they can make more / better games.

#34 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:20 AM

Posted Image

Thanks OP, in for 10! I'll almost be able to afford a 3DS with that kind of dough!

:roll:
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#35 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

I don't see Walmart being a competitor in the TI game. Just like Target and TRU programs.

#36 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

Don't hate on this, guys. Any entry into the competition is bound to help CAGs, if only in the slightest. Gamestop will have to respond to Walmart if they become big, and that response will either constitute higher trade-in values or lower used game prices.

This man 'get's it'!

#37 lionheart4life

lionheart4life

The Human Suplex Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

I think they will be successful. The people trading them in won't mind getting $16 for the Xbox when they need the money for crack or new sneakers. The system and games might even be stolen to begin with so it's all pure profit for them. At least that applies to Wal-Marts areound here I'm sure there are many in better neighborhoods in the rest of the country.

Besides, I though Wal-Mart offered better trade in values on new games without receipts anyways? I kid, I kid.
Posted Image

#38 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

They are not a bad second option. After Best Buy dropped the vale on Move Heroes I traded them to Gazelle $16.09

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#39 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

I wasn't sure if this was new or not, but I did see a bin of used games at a local Walmart. The bin said everything inside it was $8, but over a third of it was Sneak King; so I am guessing one person profited nicely by just buying it used for $1 as GS and then trading it in to WM. There was also nothing worth the $8 in the bin, either.

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#40 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

They are new to the trade in game. Look how much better bestbuy got (they are beginning to become my new favorite trade in spot. Sorry amazon but those trade in promotions are a draw for customers). Let's just hope walmart doesn't follow gamestops used game strategy as gamestop is unfortunatly the most popular place to do trade ins at.
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#41 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

+ needing original artwork/case for full value

To be fair, it should ALWAYS be like that. Do you know how many fuckwads rip off retailers by only stealing the discs, then trading them in to places like FYE and MovieStop? This is one way to help prevent stolen merch from being traded in for free cash.

#42 cardsharkrob

cardsharkrob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Well i am happy for this as I have a extra xbox 360 that I am doing nothing with that works perfectly that i will trade in there instead of waiting on craiglist and ebay.

#43 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Yea, like I'm really gonna recycle my N64 and Genesis to Walmart. Right.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#44 jumpiestranger2

jumpiestranger2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

Walmart has been doing trade ins since August I think and they sucked back then.

#45 gamecorner

gamecorner

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

Well i am happy for this as I have a extra xbox 360 that I am doing nothing with that works perfectly that i will trade in there instead of waiting on craiglist and ebay.

Before you sell your xbox to gazelle for $10, check out CashForGamers.com first (they blow gazelle out of the water with most prices).

60 GB Xbox 360 Pro Console w/ Normal Wear and Tear:

Gazelle pays $25
CFG pays $63

Link: http://www.cashforga...m/Xbox-Console/

If you don't want to use them, I highly recommend you selling your xbox on here or gametz because trust me, you can get more than $10 for it!

#46 cardsharkrob

cardsharkrob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Actually i checked the price on the xbox i have and walmart will give me 142

#47 TurboNerd

TurboNerd

I'm looking for co-op buddies! PM me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Well shit, sorry guys. Walmart put out a release stating it was new. I certainly had never heard of them doing trade ins so I thought CAG might like to know too.

And since it is new I figured trade in values and such would not be on point yet. I'm glad at least someone got something out of this thread. So much negativity though. :'(

fs_pc.png fs_xbox.png
I'm looking for co-op buddies on XBOX Live and Steam! PM me!

#48 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

I've been dinking around with this because I am bored at work. Here are some Wally Fun Facts:

The difference in value between an Arcade console in Fair condition and Perfect condition is $6.

AC adapter, cables, and controller are worth $1 apiece, unless you have 2 or more, then they give you an extra dollar.

The box is worthless unless everything else is included, then they give you a buck for it.

Wal-Mart: Always the low price. Always.

Posted Image

#49 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

I've been dinking around with this because I am bored at work. Here are some Wally Fun Facts:

The difference in value between an Arcade console in Fair condition and Perfect condition is $6.

AC adapter, cables, and controller are worth $1 apiece, unless you have 2 or more, then they give you an extra dollar.

The box is worthless unless everything else is included, then they give you a buck for it.

Wal-Mart: Always the low price. Always.

LMAO ! They make gamestop look good which is a bad thing
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#50 gamecorner

gamecorner

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

Actually i checked the price on the xbox i have and walmart will give me 142

Can you link it? That's actually an amazing price.

#51 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

They are new to the trade in game. Look how much better bestbuy got (they are beginning to become my new favorite trade in spot. Sorry amazon but those trade in promotions are a draw for customers). Let's just hope walmart doesn't follow gamestops used game strategy as gamestop is unfortunatly the most popular place to do trade ins at.

Amazon had great promotions when they first started doing game trade in.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#52 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Amazon had great promotions when they first started doing game trade in.

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't seem to still offering those promotions of that caliber. If they were, then Walmart might feel more pressure to match them now that they have their own trade-in program. Regardless, when Walmart gets a tepid reaction to their current offerings, they'll either have to up their buy prices or close down the program.

#53 claymore89

claymore89

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

does it have to be by mail or can i just bring it to the store?