Real Time with Bill Maher: Weekly discussion and pot session

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#31 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

You're talking about 200,000 pounds of metal and aviation fuel going at 400-500 mph. Its amazing the buildings survived the initial impact let alone a 1,000+ degree fire which while not hot enough to completely melt the steel is certainly hot enough to severely weaken it. Ever broken a paper clip? Granted that's about as minimalistic as an argument can be made, the point stands that metal doesn't need to be at its melting point to fail.

Now take one of those same planes and slam it into the ground which is already compressed. There ain't exactly gonna be much left of a plane after that...

I assume for the second point you're talking about the Pentagon. That whole thing wreaks of something being covered up, especially with the video footage. You do the logistics in terms of flying with a Jumbo Jet it doesn't wash. What makes more sense is a missile, which, when you consider that is scary as Fuck hitting the Pentagon but actually makes more sense then a plane if you look at everything surrounding it.
As for the buildings I believe 7 was built to take an impact like that and if you consider the PLO attacks I refuse to believe they didn't have possible similar precautionary measures for the other buildings. Granted I'm never one to discount human stupidity or arrogance or greed and maybe this was possibly one, two or three but the official explanation doesn't wash for me. I could perfectly well believe three given the greedy, unredeemable fucks a lot of those in the Bush Administration were. Putting out all that bullshit about the Swine Flu to pimp that Tamiflu crap and we know where Rumsfeld was in this. That full body scanner crap that Chertov had a stake in.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#32 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'm actually watching it right now. Too bad this turned into a 9/11 conspiracy theory thread.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#33 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

I kinda of feel Sorry for Maddow, seems like she's always having to fight to be able to speak without anyone interrupting her.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#34 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

I kinda of feel Sorry for Maddow, seems like she's always having to fight to be able to speak without anyone interrupting her.

I partially blame Maher for it because he does a horrible job of moderating the panels.

#35 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah he really does, it's kind of a free for all. Mort Zukerman seemed so out of place. It was basically Maddow and Gillespie arguing across him. That seems to happen a lot, the quite panelist always seems to end up in the middle of the 3.

#36 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I partially blame Maher for it because he does a horrible job of moderating the panels.

Agreed though it is fair to say at least it's not as bad as other political shows where it was essentially monkeys flinging poo at each other.
If not that then some beltway crap where I'd just as soon hang myself. This is why I don't listen to "Meet The Press". Are they discussing valid political strategy that matters? Yes except it's dry as Fuck and dodging around the issues and it's almost as bad as actually NOT talking about politics around the dinner table. I swear some talk about it like it's Football. Ugh.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#37 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

What Bill really needs is a robot computer sidekick that can quickly grab the information and statistics he or his panelists need during these arguments. It's so annoying to see a conversation or debate halted because two people claim to have read factual analyses that completely contradict one another.
?

They could do a pop-up videoesque thing for the re-runs.
wahhhhh noone helped me so they must not help anyone. - knoell

#38 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Really? Back when I used to watch Real Time (and Politically Correct before that), one of the things I always liked was that Maher did a very good job moderating the panel and making sure everyone got a chance to speak. I preferred it over similar shows since it wasn't just a group of 3 or 4 people all trying to see who can yell their opinion the loudest. Sort of a shame if things have gone in that direction.

#39 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

It basically has. Before this last episode they showed an old clip featuring Maddow having to fight, finally standing up, just to speak. Think that was from last year.

#40 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

Really? Back when I used to watch Real Time (and Politically Correct before that), one of the things I always liked was that Maher did a very good job moderating the panel and making sure everyone got a chance to speak. I preferred it over similar shows since it wasn't just a group of 3 or 4 people all trying to see who can yell their opinion the loudest. Sort of a shame if things have gone in that direction.

Yeah, Maher is pretty hands off nowadays.

#41 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Anybody watch this week? Good episode, notable for the segment where Maher takes a big ol' shit on Dinesh D'Souza. Check it out if you can, the link below has part of the interview.

http://dailycaller.c...ublimated-rage/

By the end, it seemed like the whole thing was an ambush, with Bill chastising Dinesh for not defending him after Politically Incorrect was pulled off the air.

#42 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

The latest episode was pretty good. Jason Alexander played this week's mediator between Bill and the token Republican/Conservative. The Mormon discussion was kind of boring, though, since I can't see Mitt Romney being all that attached to his religion and its specifics. Bill himself really did seem more prepared or focused than usual, as well as more irritable. I was definitely not around for that Dinesh kerfuffle, so I had no idea what was coming.

They just couldn't resist giving Jason Alexander a dopey Seinfeld question in the Overtime segment. I wonder how sick of that he is.

Off-topic edit: Does Seinfeld hold up well? I've seen maybe one episode and never watched the rest. I'm hoping Netflix or someone will get the streaming rights so I don't have to buy/rent the discs.

#43 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Anybody watch this week? Good episode, notable for the segment where Maher takes a big ol' shit on Dinesh D'Souza. Check it out if you can, the link below has part of the interview.

http://dailycaller.c...ublimated-rage/

By the end, it seemed like the whole thing was an ambush, with Bill chastising Dinesh for not defending him after Politically Incorrect was pulled off the air.

The comments section on that video rivals most of the tripe I've seen on yahoo.

#44 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

The latest episode was pretty good. Jason Alexander played this week's mediator between Bill and the token Republican/Conservative. The Mormon discussion was kind of boring, though, since I can't see Mitt Romney being all that attached to his religion and its specifics. Bill himself really did seem more prepared or focused than usual, as well as more irritable. I was definitely not around for that Dinesh kerfuffle, so I had no idea what was coming.

I'd have to disagree with Romney and his religion. If anything I'd say that he's balls deep in it judging from some of his overcompensation of things. It's like trying to LARP Plainsville or Leave it to Beaver. Kirn was pretty much alluding to that.

edit: It's kinda why people say he's robotic because there's no genuiness to any of his actions and it's as if he's just going through the motions to give a pretense that he cares.

They just couldn't resist giving Jason Alexander a dopey Seinfeld question in the Overtime segment. I wonder how sick of that he is.

Off-topic edit: Does Seinfeld hold up well? I've seen maybe one episode and never watched the rest. I'm hoping Netflix or someone will get the streaming rights so I don't have to buy/rent the discs.

Seinfeld holds up ok if you can get past the fashion and haircuts. I was never a fan of the show, but there are some really good episodes in there.

#45 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'd have to disagree with Romney and his religion. If anything I'd say that he's balls deep in it judging from some of his overcompensation of things. It's like trying to LARP Plainsville or Leave it to Beaver. Kirn was pretty much alluding to that.

edit: It's kinda why people say he's robotic because there's no genuiness to any of his actions and it's as if he's just going through the motions to give a pretense that he cares.

I was thinking of it as someone who didn't shun their faith to get ahead by acting like it isn't there. He doesn't seem all that kind and giving. But, yeah, as with many religious people, he probably has his own version in his mind that might still include the stranger stuff they spoke about on Bill Maher.

To be fair, I can't say I know all the tenets of Mormonism. I thought following Jesus' teachings was in there somewhere, but maybe it does encourage the cutthroat lifestyle he's lived.

#46 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Don't forget the magic underoos. Still have to watch this episode.

#47 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:50 AM

So I finished watching and had to look this planet kolob shit up.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

I wonder if xenu lives there too?

#48 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:47 AM

So I finished watching and had to look this planet kolob shit up.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

I wonder if xenu lives there too?

Yeah...I was going to say that Scientology is actually very similar to Mormonism, but I did't want to spoil it for anyone...I hate spoilers.:lol:

#49 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

Christine O'donnell was Bill's first guest tonight. I am pretty sure not one word she spoke was 100% true. Same old tired lies and twisting of facts. She was trying to say that for every 1 job we have been gaining we "actually" have been losing 4 jobs because those people are just going on welfare. So according to her logic last month 400,000 people went on welfare? I am also getting tired of the whole under Obama the debt has increased more than from George Washington to Reagan combined. Then she takes no blame for Bush creating Medicare Part D and the 2 wars. The standard answer of you can't keep blaming Bush basically is saying he should end both wars and pay for Medicare Part D by raising taxes which almost every conservative would shit a brick about. I am so glad she lost.

#50 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Christine O'donnell was Bill's first guest tonight. I am pretty sure not one word she spoke was 100% true. Same old tired lies and twisting of facts. She was trying to say that for every 1 job we have been gaining we "actually" have been losing 4 jobs because those people are just going on welfare. So according to her logic last month 400,000 people went on welfare? I am also getting tired of the whole under Obama the debt has increased more than from George Washington to Reagan combined. Then she takes no blame for Bush creating Medicare Part D and the 2 wars. The standard answer of you can't keep blaming Bush basically is saying he should end both wars and pay for Medicare Part D by raising taxes which almost every conservative would shit a brick about. I am so glad she lost.

Next time someone says that, let them know that the same thing happened under Reagan and 43's presidencies.
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#51 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have to disagree with Maher about something, that Eastwood killed it at the RNC. The truth of that matter is that they were going to hang on his every word anyway, they weren't going to boo Eastwood at the RNC. If he'd done that same thing at a comedy club there would have been nothing.

#52 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:50 AM

It was an ok episode, but I thought it was a great gesture of Maher to apologize for trying to bully O'Donnell into being a panelist. David Simon was great though.

#53 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Next time someone says that, let them know that the same thing happened under Reagan and 43's presidencies.

Then it might help to point out that since Reagan we've had 20 years worth of Republican presidents (Reagan=8, Bush 1=4, Bush 2=8) and only 12 years worth of Democrat Presidents (Clinton=8, Obama=4), one of which actually had the budget balanced briefly...

So which party was it that's all about fiscal responsibility again?

#54 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

The idea that republicans are fiscally responsible is an example of taking a misnomer and running like hell with it.

#55 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah she's a doofus but I think Christine O'Donell is at least well meaning and genuine. Plus, really hot shoes...

David Simon pointed out that our "news media" has really been dumbed down in the last 25 years or so. This is wholly true. Sadly no one bothered to come up with ideas of how to fix that.

Steve Schmidt also came off very well as a good natured fella who is only on the GOP side for the paycheck. Either that or he's completely bored with the GOP platform and will knock them until someone else hires him.
What's funny is that when Bill has "decent" GOPers come on, they're actually nice people. Hell, Grover Norquist was borderline likeable when he was on a while ago. Then you get that tall, bald guy that was on a few weeks back (tan jacket and pink shirt, can't remember his name and I'll racistly say that it sounded Indian) that was a complete dick and just spoke over everyone...
Contact Friend Code - 1675-8841-8262
Tetris DS - 152435-004214
XBL - Nasum2

#56 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

I know David Simon was basically only on because the new season of treme is about to start (or has) but he was actually really good.

#57 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yeah she's a doofus but I think Christine O'Donell is at least well meaning and genuine. Plus, really hot shoes...

David Simon pointed out that our "news media" has really been dumbed down in the last 25 years or so. This is wholly true. Sadly no one bothered to come up with ideas of how to fix that.

Steve Schmidt also came off very well as a good natured fella who is only on the GOP side for the paycheck. Either that or he's completely bored with the GOP platform and will knock them until someone else hires him.
What's funny is that when Bill has "decent" GOPers come on, they're actually nice people. Hell, Grover Norquist was borderline likeable when he was on a while ago. Then you get that tall, bald guy that was on a few weeks back (tan jacket and pink shirt, can't remember his name and I'll racistly say that it sounded Indian) that was a complete dick and just spoke over everyone...

reiham salem? He always acts like that. Ron Christie is one of the bigger dicks that comes on his show. The funny thing is that he's probably the most calm too, he comes off as a smug prick.

one of my favorite moments.

#58 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Pretty good episode last night. Jarecki was great and did an awesome job of simplifying the racial component of the Drug War without dumbing it down. Chris Matthews was completely owning Roger Hedgecock the entire time. I'm actually really surprised about Matthews on race considering his statement about forgetting Obama was black. Salman Rushdie started losing me when he was talking about Islamic fundamentalism and anti-Islamic bigotry, but won me back a tiny bit when he started talking about the politicalization of Islam and how it's a tool of those in power. He even talked about how modern the Middle East was when he was growing up. Too bad that he neglected to mention how US involvement was one of the main reasons for that fundamentalism though.

#59 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

I agree. The iPhone and Romni parts were funny, and the panel kept things interesting, too. I definitely felt pieces of the puzzle missing when some of them were talking about how Islam is legitimately worse as a religion because it breeds a violent reactionary mindset. They really needed to hone in on the repressive cultural and political influences, internal and external, that keep it that way. Oh right, and the 'undecided voter' monologue at the end was fun.

#60 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Watching this week's episode was the first time I've listened to Ann Coulter. *shudder*

"Thanks to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, racism is dead! There are now more child molesters than racists of any form. In fact, there are no more racists!"

"No, wait! I've got a better one. You liberals are the racists. I win!"