Real Time with Bill Maher: Weekly discussion and pot session

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#61 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

That woman is like a walking concentration of evil and hatred. I'd imagine that standing next to her would make most people feel dirty.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#62 EdRyder

EdRyder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

^ You forgot stupid.
I just love the way she scoffs at everything like machine-gun fire. Her reactions are comical.
I want to buy her a monocle to fall in her champagne flute every time she's asked a question.
Seriously that whole Snagglepuss "Heavens to Mergatroid" act is tiresome

Did Bill say ACA was Bob Doles idea, or did he whip it out?

#63 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

I feel bad agreeing with the "there are some people we think shouldn't be able to vote" bit. For me, it's anyone on either side of the political spectrum that actually thinks there's such a thing as free cell phones from Obama.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#64 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

Watching this week's episode was the first time I've listened to Ann Coulter. *shudder*

"Thanks to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, racism is dead! There are now more child molesters than racists of any form. In fact, there are no more racists!"

"No, wait! I've got a better one. You liberals are the racists. I win!"

LOLZ...I thought this was a joke.

Gotta admit, she has a GREAT plastic surgeon.

#65 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

Yeah, you can barely see the horns or tail....
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#66 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

makeup helps too. Her arms and back are very pale and freckled yet her face is tan and spot free. Concealer is only skin deep...
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#67 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

makeup helps too. Her arms and back are very pale and freckled yet her face is tan and spot free. Concealer is only skin deep...

Botox and collagen helps too.:lol:

#68 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

exactly. She's floating so far away from the reality of the program that she doesn't even understand it. Same thing for any goon on the far right who is mad that this lady got a free phone from Obama. You can not like her for being so misinformed, but you can't be mad that the president gave her a free phone because that's simply untrue.
XBL - Nasum2

#69 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Interesting. Someone during the show or Overtime (can't remember) said she wouldn't do this. Looks like they were wrong.

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-19958739

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says she takes responsibility for the security failure at the Benghazi consulate that led to the killing of four Americans in Libya last month.

#70 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Terrible episode, bunch of shouting with little to no information.
XBL - Nasum2

#71 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Terrible episode, bunch of shouting with little to no information.

I mostly blame it on the two honey-smoked hams in the three-piece suits who showed up this week.

#72 EdRyder

EdRyder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I agree. I did like Matt Taibbi and the Gary Hirshberg segment.
My favorite part was when they we're discussing Voter Id Laws. Did I hear John Fund right"A White kid (James O'Keefe) with an earing that couldn't dance" Attempted to be Eric Holder?
Not racist at all.

#73 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

I don't know, I actually thought it was pretty good from an entertainment standpoint at least. We saw two blustering idiots, one looking like a mob captain, completely refuting factual information. I thought it was the best example of the conservative mind I've seen in a while.

#74 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. The cons were smarmy as hell while trying to dominate the entire show, the msnbc correspondent wasn't as prepared with her facts as she should've been, and Taibbi was kinda worthless, but at least he finally cut his comb-over off. I also found it odd that Maher plugged Taibbi's book as being new when it was published in 2010. I have a copy of it on my bookshelf and I still haven't cracked it open yet...lolz

I mostly blame it on the two honey-smoked hams in the three-piece suits who showed up this week.

I'm not going to lie, the Russian dude's suit was very tailored and looked great on him. Still a smarmy motherfucker though.:D

#75 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

He's the one i thought looked like a capo. He even acted like it, like he'd walked off the set of Sopranos.

#76 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Was thinking the same things. It was probably the worst episode I've seen yet. Bill faded into the background while everyone else decided to talk at the same time, and Goldie definitely seemed over zealous and lacking in actual facts. The other two decided to play "Hold the Line" when discussing the Libyan incident and voter fraud, even over something as stupid as the meaning of what Candy said after the debate.

Even the jokes weren't so great. :-#

#77 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. The cons were smarmy as hell while trying to dominate the entire show, the msnbc correspondent wasn't as prepared with her facts as she should've been, and Taibbi was kinda worthless, but at least he finally cut his comb-over off. I also found it odd that Maher plugged Taibbi's book as being new when it was published in 2010. I have a copy of it on my bookshelf and I still haven't cracked it open yet...lolz

I'm not going to lie, the Russian dude's suit was very tailored and looked great on him. Still a smarmy motherfucker though.:D

I read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. His other book on culture was fairly interesting as well.

That said, I agree with you guys. I turned it off like 15 minutes in. The MSNBC lady was terrible and should never be invited back.

Posted Image

#78 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

It really bothered me when they were talking about voter registration fraud and comparing to ACORN when the two incidents are absolutely nothing alike in intent, execution, or purpose. On one hand, you have a guy that threw a bunch of legitimate registrations in the trash which disenfranchises all those voters and on the other, you have a few people that are padding their registration numbers for more pay by registering Mickey Mouse a couple hundred times which disenfranchises no one.

Another thing that I knew was bullshit was when the cons said that there was a case in which there was a literal conspiracy to get 100,000 people to fraudulently vote. Something that explosive would make ACORN look like a snap cap in comparison and it'd be all over the news. Not to mention the whole 2 million dead people on the registration rolls bullshit as if 2 million people could be mobilized to take advantage of that. I mean c'mon, they were using that canard from Kennedy. It's simply ridiculous and easily verifiable.

The thing that pissed me off the most was when they brought up that shitbag O'Keefe as if posing as Eric Holder in name only really proves anything muchless how "rampant" it is.

I read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. His other book on culture was fairly interesting as well.

That said, I agree with you guys. I turned it off like 15 minutes in. The MSNBC lady was terrible and should never be invited back.

I'm planning to read his earlier books/collected publications first. I like his biting style, so we'll see how that goes.

But yeah, she was terrible. I mean she obviously has the passion, but none of the knowledge to back it up or at least, not nearly enough of it. When she was muttering "that's your privilege talking" under her breath, she had a strong point, but not able to follow through. The cons knew it too and took advantage of that.

#79 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

What I've never understood is how showing and ID to vote will get dead people off the list of registered voters. Perhaps instead of new laws that would prohibit otherwise eligible voters, efforts could be made to keep currently registered voters accurate? Has the same outcome if you aren't lying about your intent with the ID law...
XBL - Nasum2

#80 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

[QUOTE=dohdough;10074459

I'm planning to read his earlier books/collected publications first. I like his biting style, so we'll see how that goes.

[/QUOTE]

The Great Derangement was a fun read and does a good job of showing off some of the odd elements of American culture. I haven't read his other works.

Posted Image

#81 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think he was plugging Taibbi's Bain column, which was very intriguing.

I did read Griftopia, which I highly recommend. Makes me want to read his other stuff if possible.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#82 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm planning on starting Spanking the Donkey tonight. It's about the 2004 election, so it should be interesting.

#83 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

Decent episode this week. Lazio was a talking point machine, Hoover rode the right of center line, and Reiner was a bit talky pointy as well, but Balog was good and Segal was on fucking fire, which redeemed the episode for me. Segal was shooting down bullshit like it was his sole reason for living. Not only that, but the level of nuance he brought into his arguments while keeping it simple was something that's been sorely lacking on the show lately. This kid is on point.

#84 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I believe in the episode they made a comparison of Obama to Reagan, saying something like Obama inherited this recession but Reagan dealt with inflation.

Can someone clarify what they meant by that? Was the inflation breaking the economy or something?

#85 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, I was sort of sleeping most of the time other than when the young guy was on.

The funny thing is that most republicans I know are like that lady where they've started walking upright on many social issues. Too bad it'll be nearly 25 years before any of those people will get elected...
XBL - Nasum2

#86 EdRyder

EdRyder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I believe in the episode they made a comparison of Obama to Reagan, saying something like Obama inherited this recession but Reagan dealt with inflation.

Can someone clarify what they meant by that? Was the inflation breaking the economy or something?

(Stagflation) In the seventies is the justification for all things Reaganomics. Under Carter OPEC spiked prices , the Carter administration declined to raise interest rates , the value of the dollar plummeted. Stagnant Economy + Inflation = Stagflation. Which then all leads to trickle-down / supply side Reaganomics. The "shock therapy" to an economy. Expand the economy,Increase spending, raise the debt, watch unemployment rise: see inflation decline

#87 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Only a couple minutes into the panel but jesus god I would Fuck that woman so hard her legs would break. A few minutes later I'd probably blow Sullivan because that guy rules.
XBL - Nasum2

#88 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Just wait until you get to the part where everyone is shouting over one another and Cupp goes into the bubble. She didn't always act so dumb though. Still thought it was a good episode...

Oh and Cupp always looks good on the show.

Edited by dohdough, 11 November 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#89 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

I like James Carville, and I like Samuel Jackson, but this episode was kind of boring. It felt like everyone was just fighting over cold leftovers and scraps from the election season – not much else to talk about I guess.

Also, S.E. Cupp was even more annoying than the last time, and Andrew Sullivan talks too much.

Edit: Cupp: "Obama makes Bush look like a Quaker." :drool:

Edited by ID2006, 11 November 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#90 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Just started watching but I thought it was crazy when Bill said Bush outperformed Romney in the Mormon vote. It was 80% to 78% so I will assume statically a tie, but to be the first Mormon to run for President and not pull 90-95% of the Mormon votes just shows how much of a douche that guy was.

Conservative source reporting the findings.

http://www.breitbart...n-George-W-Bush