Real Time with Bill Maher: Weekly discussion and pot session

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I just want a pic where that...thing... is blowing back and his bald head is exposed. Because frankly, Trump strikes me as someone who is incredibly vain and even with all the money he has, nature is winning the battle for his scalp. I just want to see the battlefield.

HAHAHA...it already won. A person like him would've gotten implants years ago and while it's a much better job than Biden's, he probably didn't elect to have a natural hairline so it's all fucked up. There are hint's of it in the Seacreat interview. Honestly, if he slicked it back like Maher, it'd look much better because Maher's hair is pretty thinned out too.

I still haven't watched this week's episode, but I heard that it sucked balls. Maybe I'll watch it during the blizzard.:lol:

#122 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

You heard correctly. It was a pretty terrible episode.

Posted Image

#123 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Did anybody else see that Julian Assange is gonna be a guest this week?

#124 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Did anybody else see that Julian Assange is gonna be a guest this week?

Just checked...pretty cool! I wonder if the Feds are going to detain him...haha. Chances are that it's going to be one of those live video feed segments since it doesn't seem like he's on the panel.

#125 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

I just want a pic where that...thing... is blowing back and his bald head is exposed. Because frankly, Trump strikes me as someone who is incredibly vain and even with all the money he has, nature is winning the battle for his scalp. I just want to see the battlefield.

Ironically, I've always felt that "hairstyle" is perhaps the most real thing about Trump. He likes to come across as this cocky know-it-all that has it altogether and who we should look up to, but that hair just shows how self-conscious he must be, considering the extreme lengths he does to hide the fact that he's aging. Once you realize that, it really gives insight into who he really is and chips away at the facade to which he so desperately clings.

#126 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

HAHAHA...it already won. A person like him would've gotten implants years ago and while it's a much better job than Biden's, he probably didn't elect to have a natural hairline so it's all fucked up. There are hint's of it in the Seacreat interview. Honestly, if he slicked it back like Maher, it'd look much better because Maher's hair is pretty thinned out too.

I still haven't watched this week's episode, but I heard that it sucked balls. Maybe I'll watch it during the blizzard.:lol:

Yeah it kinda did, Booker was ok though. Hopefully next week's episode is better, should be.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#127 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I haven't watched the extended Julian Assange interview yet, but very good episode this week IMO. Maher just destroys Donald Trump at the end and I couldn't stop laughing.

#128 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, the episode was decent. Funny thing is that I always thought Bashir was a conservative...guess I was wrong. Krauss got interesting when he was talking about the politics of large scientific projects, which I enjoyed, but I think that Barro could've gone into more detail about how zoning laws were shaped by NIMBY sentiment. After watching Overtime, I'm not so sure Barro knows as much as he thinks he does about domestic politics. I'll watch the Assange interview later too.

One thing that's been bugging me about Maher this season is his suits and shirts. They used to be extremely well tailored and form fitting, but now, it just looks like he's wearing burlap sacks with collars 2 sizes too big for his neck. It doesn't make sense to me because his suits don't look cheap. Functional button holes on jacket sleeves isn't something you get off the rack from Macy's or Nordstrom or even half the suits at Saks and Neiman's.

edit: Oh and George Zimmerman's brother is going to be on next week...LOLOLOL

Edited by dohdough, 10 February 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#129 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Welp, the Zimmerman thing was...interesting. He was Very well prepared by the lawyers and obviously much more better spoken than George. I loved how he said that all of the issues brought up are "important to have a discussion about," but has absolutely nothing to do with the case, and then go on to talk about how it's related to the case. It's like someone running a red light, be asked why they ran a red light only to reply with some epistemological convoluted answer about what "red" is, and then point to the traffic signal to say that another car just ran a red light too. It was really bizarre.

Panel was actually ok despite the twirp, Weinstein, from Dally Caller. Nice to see that the Vice Chairman of the DNC, Brazile, knew her shit unlike other DNC shills that Maher has had on, and Meacham(I'd hardly call him liberal) was pretty good talking down Weinstein's talking points.

Overall an ok episode. They'll be on break next week so I can spend that time playing Revengeance. How serendipitous.

#130 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Welp, the Zimmerman thing was...interesting. He was Very well prepared by the lawyers and obviously much more better spoken than George. I loved how he said that all of the issues brought up are "important to have a discussion about," but has absolutely nothing to do with the case, and then go on to talk about how it's related to the case. It's like someone running a red light, be asked why they ran a red light only to reply with some epistemological convoluted answer about what "red" is, and then point to the traffic signal to say that another car just ran a red light too. It was really bizarre.

Panel was actually ok despite the twirp, Weinstein, from Dally Caller. Nice to see that the Vice Chairman of the DNC, Brazile, knew her shit unlike other DNC shills that Maher has had on, and Meacham(I'd hardly call him liberal) was pretty good talking down Weinstein's talking points. In defending his brother he also managed to do what pretty much every person defending him has failed to do. He came across humble instead of angry and entitled

Overall an ok episode. They'll be on break next week so I can spend that time playing Revengeance. How serendipitous.

His brother is honestly the best thing that ever happened to him. He spoke very elegantly and intelligently about race and made a lot of great points about the media.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#131 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

...Panel was actually ok despite the twirp, Weinstein, from Dally Caller. Nice to see that the Vice Chairman of the DNC, Brazile, knew her shit unlike other DNC shills that Maher has had on, and Meacham(I'd hardly call him liberal) was pretty good talking down Weinstein's talking points...

Just curious — what do you mean about the bolded text? All I know about him is that he wrote a book about Jefferson (which I was considering reading.)

Also, agreed about the panel overall, although the final guest was practically not even there after his introduction. Maher was pretty funny this time around, too.

#132 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

His brother is honestly the best thing that ever happened to him. He spoke very elegantly and intelligently about race and made a lot of great points about the media.

I was in no way complementing him about what he said or how he said it. He gave canned answers that might sound good, but were fairly evasive and strawmanning Maher a bit. Maher also went easy on the guy because he isn't a fulltime paid shill, although, when Maher tried to break through some bullshit with some soft balls, Zimmerman was lost. Repeating "it's complicated" doesn't mean that he has a deep understanding of it or really address what Maher was asking. Zimmerman Jr doesn't get a pass from me because this isn't his first rodeo. He's been on different shows doing the same schtick for months as well as being a bit of an asshole.

Just curious — what do you mean about the bolded text? All I know about him is that he wrote a book about Jefferson (which I was considering reading.)

Also, agreed about the panel overall, although the final guest was practically not even there after his introduction. Maher was pretty funny this time around, too.

Unless I'm mistaking him for someone else, and I might be, I was under the impression that he's more of center-right neoliberal.

I like it when he has other comedians cause he tends to be more funny. McHale was humourous too IMO.

#133 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

I liked his ragging on religion again, especially the bit about if nobody practices what they preach anymore, why not give it up?

#134 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I actually liked what he said to Zimmerman's brother, that had the gun not been there it basically would have just been two people in a fight, neither probably would have died. Instead, you had some suburban commando acting like the neighborhood sheriff, and someone ended up dead simply because Martin looked suspicious. If anything is taken away from that whole episode, it's to call the police if you see something you think is suspicious, don't try to handle it yourself.

Although if you call them about a suspicious vehicle, they may end up shooting at every vehicle which meets the description. ;)
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#135 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

I actually liked what he said to Zimmerman's brother, that had the gun not been there it basically would have just been two people in a fight, neither probably would have died. Instead, you had some suburban commando acting like the neighborhood sheriff, and someone ended up dead simply because Martin looked suspicious. If anything is taken away from that whole episode, it's to call the police if you see something you think is suspicious, don't try to handle it yourself.

There two moments of the interview that really popped out at me. One was when Zimmerman was talking about how the media was exaggerating things and then a second later, he went on to say that Martin broke his brother's nose and was smashing his head into the ground while motioning with his hands. NO exaggeration there, right?:roll:

The next one was when Maher made the comment about wearing a hoodie being reasonable in the rain and Zimmerman gave a slight chuckle and nodded his head in agreement. That one went completely over his head and actually made me a little angry.

Although if you call them about a suspicious vehicle, they may end up shooting at every vehicle which meets the description. ;)

Nice one.:lol:

#136 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I think Maher was wrong about him being a good spokesman, the guy didn't have a clue. Seemed like he'd been prepped, probably by lawyers. When Maher made that hoodie comment and it went over his head, I knew right then that he wasn't even paying attention during the interview, he was just waiting to hear the right questions and give his canned response. I honestly wish Maher had hammered him, but I guess he didn't want to be too hard on the guy.

#137 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Although if you call them about a suspicious vehicle, they may end up shooting at every vehicle which they think meets the description. ;)

Fixed ;)
http://t3.gstatic.co...4wtuy3FpqqoZSRA

Originally Posted by the4thnobleman Posted Image
I need power to come back on! I still need to spend $10 or so to get my $20. Stupid hurricane Sandy Vagina!

Posted Image

#138 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Touché

#139 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

I can't remember the entire panel of tonight's show but I remember seeing David Cross would be on so it should be a good one.

#140 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Last week's episode was kinda shitty, but this week's was pretty good.

Michael Steele gets a lot of shit for looking like that muppet on Sesame Street, but the second he stopped being head of the RNC, I hope he's changed a lot of minds about how liberals perceive him and I can understand why the Republicans booted him after seeing his appearances. The GOP will simply become less relevant as long as it insists on playing to white racial resentment, homophobia, sexism, and patriarchy amongst other things. Steele could've been a very dangerous man to the Democrats(as a political power broker;not it's members) if his own organization didn't cripple him. This becomes more clear to me as I learn more about his strategies. I don't know if liberals dodged a bullet or if we're now worse of because of it, but I can't imagine what the political landscape would be if conservatives became more inclusive.

Charlie LeDuff was an interesting character too. I'm almost tempted to get his book, but I have a huge back log. Avik Roy is as reprehensible as ever and I'm starting to find Ariana Huffington kind of a bore.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#141 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Trayvon was shot just because he looked suspicious... nothing else came into play.

Rewriting history in your own mind I see.

#142 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Trayvon was shot just because he looked suspicious... nothing else came into play.

Rewriting history in your own mind I see.

It took you 3 weeks to come up with that?

edit: for the lulz...
Posted Image
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#143 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Last week's episode was kinda shitty, but this week's was pretty good.

Michael Steele gets a lot of shit for looking like that muppet on Sesame Street, but the second he stopped being head of the RNC, I hope he's changed a lot of minds about how liberals perceive him and I can understand why the Republicans booted him after seeing his appearances. The GOP will simply become less relevant as long as it insists on playing to white racial resentment, homophobia, sexism, and patriarchy amongst other things. Steele could've been a very dangerous man to the Democrats(as a political power broker;not it's members) if his own organization didn't cripple him. This becomes more clear to me as I learn more about his strategies. I don't know if liberals dodged a bullet or if we're now worse of because of it, but I can't imagine what the political landscape would be if conservatives became more inclusive.

Charlie LeDuff was an interesting character too. I'm almost tempted to get his book, but I have a huge back log. Avik Roy is as reprehensible as ever and I'm starting to find Ariana Huffington kind of a bore.

Huffington often times seems irrelevant when she's on. She doesn't really add much most of the time.

But the GOP is definitely shooting itself in the foot with the way they refuse to embrace certain groups. Steele was a pretty good flag bearer, but having a mind of his own was just too much for the GOP.

#144 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

So, on last Friday's show they showed interviews with folks, all staunch anti government types insisting on spending cuts. Anyone else think it was really telling that despite all of these people screaming "cut spending" most of them couldn't think of a single thing to cut? All I heard was cut the pay of congress and foreign aid. That isn't going to balance the budget of course, but none of them wanted to touch health care, or the military, or education etc.

So yeah, herp de derp derp.

#145 granturismo

granturismo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

um welfare?

#146 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

So, on last Friday's show they showed interviews with folks, all staunch anti government types insisting on spending cuts. Anyone else think it was really telling that despite all of these people screaming "cut spending" most of them couldn't think of a single thing to cut? All I heard was cut the pay of congress and foreign aid. That isn't going to balance the budget of course, but none of them wanted to touch health care, or the military, or education etc.

So yeah, herp de derp derp.

I'd cut a huge portion out of everything you mentioned. Crooked ass career politicians know that they can never get elected and re-elected talking like that though.

#147 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

ego how much (as a percent) is spent on non military foreign aid?
wahhhhh noone helped me so they must not help anyone. - knoell

#148 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

I've realized long ago that it's just principal, no real understating of the budget. Like the bit about cutting the pay of congress, it won't help the national debt any, but it's just a thing of principal. Congress sucks, cut their pay. I get it, I also get that it won't really do any good.

#149 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

I've realized long ago that it's just principal, no real understating of the budget. [...] I also get that it won't really do any good.
Posted Image
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#150 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Actually found a clip of that from last week's episode.

What should we cut?