Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

• Please log in to reply
2446 replies to this topic

#331 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

So true, so true. I suspect that Skylanders will have pretty good legs though, and drive some slow burn sales beyond what is predicted. I think this will be helped along by an extended console lifecycle this gen. Keep in mind the number of Wii's Nintendo sold last Xmas season, and you can get sort of a longer view of how many still don't own a console, and how they may approach such a purchase.

If Activision plays their cards right, they could really stretch this out. It was super smart of them to attach this to an existing IP, pick-up some the same wireless tech from their Guitar Hero franchise, and direct the visual design and gameplay to be as accessible as possible, across the board.

This toy is new territory, so it should be fun to watch what happens either way.

Yea i think the cool thing is its a toy and a video game in one also wonder what these giant skylanders are

#332 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

another crazy thing is this:

http://www.ebay.com/...d=p3286.c0.m301

http://www.ebay.com/...&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

bear in mind noone knows the exact release date nor have major stores taken pre orders yet.

#333 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

another crazy thing is this:

http://www.ebay.com/...d=p3286.c0.m301

http://www.ebay.com/...&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

bear in mind noone knows the exact release date nor have major stores taken pre orders yet.

That is just sick! Wonder who these people who actual pays at these outrageous price and not just wait when these are actually sold in stores. I would think by the time CAMO comes out, the supply has already caught up with the demand and will see these overflowing at stores.

#334 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

That is just sick! Wonder who these people who actual pays at these outrageous price and not just wait when these are actually sold in stores. I would think by the time CAMO comes out, the supply has already caught up with the demand and will see these overflowing at stores.

excatly plus u would think walmart.com would do the preorder like they did with cynder and some got it that way but to not at least try to find this one online or in a store and pay 90 dollars a month before its released that is insane. Plus who is to say this guy gets them theres no pic of the actual figure just a stock one.

#335 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

If Activision plays their cards right, they could really stretch this out.

Activision? The company that rode Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk into oblivion and is trying to do the same with Call of Duty? That Activision? :lol: Skylanders will be dead in 3 years, tops. In the hands of another company, like Nintendo, it would be a permanent franchise, with a slow burn, for 20+ years.

#336 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

fry's increased their price for some skylander figures.... they're now $8.99! Hope best buy, target, and walmart don't follow suit to the prices of gamestop, toysrus and now frys.

#337 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Activision? The company that rode Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk into oblivion and is trying to do the same with Call of Duty? That Activision? :lol: Skylanders will be dead in 3 years, tops. In the hands of another company, like Nintendo, it would be a permanent franchise, with a slow burn, for 20+ years.

Don't forget Spider-man and Bond as well...

#338 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

so true. the problem here is that nintendo thinks long term (and with execs to match) while Activision execs are all about getting their bonuses NOW.

Oh well, as long as someone is making good games, I don't care who it is.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#339 SteveGo

SteveGo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

fry's increased their price for some skylander figures.... they're now $8.99! Hope best buy, target, and walmart don't follow suit to the prices of gamestop, toysrus and now frys.

Too late, at least for Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.c...=2914864&loc=01

#340 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

Too late, at least for Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.c...=2914864&loc=01

Ouch. So i guess it was effective today for both frys and best buy! sheesh! oh well! glad the 3 pack is still 19.99...

now to find the one with prism break, boomer and voodood. hehe! hope my walmart restock them tomorrow. they were completely dry the last 3 days.

#341 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Damn. Glad I have all of them thus far, prior to this price hike. That only leaves the handful yet to be released.

#342 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

anyone know what the skylanders 3ds game trades in for at amazon, gamestop, or anywhere? Does it require the whole package. I see Best buy has the package for 39.99 but just wondering if the game trades in for anything decent cause i figure if i can get like 10 for the game and whatever for the portal it come down to basically the 8 a figure + taxes anyway going that route.

#343 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

anyone know what the skylanders 3ds game trades in for at amazon, gamestop, or anywhere? Does it require the whole package. I see Best buy has the package for 39.99 but just wondering if the game trades in for anything decent cause i figure if i can get like 10 for the game and whatever for the portal it come down to basically the 8 a figure + taxes anyway going that route.

Gamestop doesn't take them. Amazon gives you $9.95 with everything included.

#344 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

Gamestop doesn't take them. Amazon gives you $13-15.

Sorry, that's wrong. Amazon currently gives $9.95 but that's not the point. Without the extra stuff, Amazon will reject the item.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#345 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

Sorry, that's wrong. Amazon currently gives $9.95 but that's not the point. Without the extra stuff, Amazon will reject the item.

ok well that sucks 40 is ok but if it was around 30 i would def bit without question and i looked on ebay the 3ds version is barely selling but might be able to scratch 16 for that and the portal to get back down to the magic 24 dollars i was trying for.

#346 io

io

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

I think these price hikes are coming at exactly the wrong time - sales of these will start to tail off and only the new ones will sell for that much. If they had done it the day after Christmas they would have done well.

My 9 year old has been into the game pretty heavily but even he is starting to lose interest as nothing new comes out and the newest ones (Cynder in particular) are impossible to find. He still wants it, but isn't asking me about it every day and wanting to go to stores to check any more. I've also lost my interest in hunting them down. It was fun for a while but always seeing empty pegs (or 20 of the same "common" figure) got tiring after a while. The price hikes may be the nail in the coffin. My 4 year old still talks about it all the time but he mostly talks about Skylanders he's made up (his current favorite: "Icebert"). He is all into saying they are not out yet and will come out at Easter (since I told him one of the 3-packs is coming then). I think he fully expects his own creations to be on sale then - we'll see how that plays out ;).

#347 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

Wait, are you saying Icebert isn't coming out? Cause I was really looking forward to that one. Very powerful in the water and icecream sectors.

Ees7Y.jpg

#348 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:45 AM

I think these price hikes are coming at exactly the wrong time - sales of these will start to tail off and only the new ones will sell for that much. If they had done it the day after Christmas they would have done well.

Yep. Could kill any momentum they have going.

#349 io

io

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

Wait, are you saying Icebert isn't coming out? Cause I was really looking forward to that one. Very powerful in the water and icecream sectors.

Personally, I'm waiting on the Legendary Icebert Special Edition, which I've heard will be exclusive to Kay Bee Toys.

Wait - breaking news, I'm getting more info on Icebert from the creator. He says it is actually called Prism Break Icebert, and he comes out "on Summer", and his power is that he "freezes Skylanders and fights nice Skylanders, actually". "He can fight a bad guy all by hisself and he won't die". "Actually, he trapped bad guys in his magic hard ice". "'Fireburn' is coming out when there's a fire in ours house". "Fireburn makes fire in the ground and they stick up and they burn bad guys and then run into it - you don't push any buttons it doos that all by itself". "And he makes starfishes". Oh, man, I can't keep up with this kid - the ideas are flowing a mile a minute!

#350 gunstar808

gunstar808

Capitalism, Ho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

I got an extra Drill Sergeant from the new 3-pack if anyone is interested.

#351 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Walmart has skylander singles priced at $8.96 now. Target will probably have their price increased as well within the week!! oh well. time to hunt for 3-packs now!!! (unless they start pricing them above $20 in the next couple of days when shipments to stores have arrived!)

#352 jcmeadows

jcmeadows

Even I'm embarrassed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

OK, all i have to say is this is dumb:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfe0fde57

and this:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfe0fdc03

another one:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfe0fdaa5

and one last one:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfe148d3d

People who bid on these things are so dumb. The guy has 0 feedback, been on ebay for 4 days. Think he is going to rip these people off? I also like how he says it is a preorder and they will be out in june....or september. I really think these people need banned.

Check out our site! The Gamers Lounge

#353 io

io

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Note If character comes in a 3-pack, it will be shipped signally out of box

Signally? Does that mean he's just going to ship a sign of it ;).

#354 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

Posted Image TRU is finally getting their supply. Too bad I already have all 3 adventure packs! Hopefully next week they finally get 3packs

#355 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

I was wondering if I could get some opinions. I have all three of the store exclusive releases sealed (legendary 3, whirlwind, drill sgt), but today I picked up the whirlwind/drill sgt/dbl trouble 3 pack. Should I keep the 3 pack, or is it more of a waste of $25 since I already have the individual ones?

On a side note, I had to laugh picking it up. I went to TRU around 10:30 today and there was one guy there in front of the display, standing in a way to try and block everything. He's frantically looking through the hooks of singles (all common w1 figs) and checking eBay on his smart phone. On the shelf directly in front of him was the one w/dt/ds 3pk and a handful of w1 3pks. I walked up, reached around him to grab the 3pk, then stepped back. He craned his head to see what I grabbed, typed on his phone, and then went through the rest of them. After awhile he made a disgruntled noise and walked away. :lol:

#356 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

If your thinking of using them, il suggest just keep the 3 pack and return the 2 exclusives since there not really exclusives anymore. Plus I don't think it has any difference from the normal ones available at the other stores. Also you don't have to search for single double trouble anymore since its already in the pack. I usually just buy 3 packs since its the cheapest cost per character and you only have to search for 9 types of character packs and 4 adventure packs and 1 single.

#357 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Idk, in my area these are still selling out everywhere within days. I've been to a TRU(this store had an especially MASSIVE amount), WM, BestBuy and Target pretty much the day they stocked them(the day before they had nothing)... Two days later I went out again, and all those stores are completely wiped out. I don't think the price hike will hurt anything, unfortunately, especially when people are willing to spend $40-100 per figure on ebay.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#358 Link927

Link927

Work In Progress

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Picked up a single Hex today at Best Buy while I was there pricematching another game. It looked like they had a small restock, 2 other Wrecking Balls, a Bash and a Boomer. I'd like to have at least one of each element, still looking for a single Stealth Elf.

Nothing to see here, move along!

#359 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm sure everyone has seen it- but they announced the sequel today - Skylanders Giants. 16 new toys, 8 regular and 8 "Giant" toys. The Giants are both bigger irl and in the game.

They confirmed all existing figures will be usable in the new release and stats will carry over.

They also mentioned that there was going to be a more detailed announcement later in the day.
Spoiler

#360 DonWii

DonWii

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

JIC, trailer link and some info.
http://www.vooks.net...ed-Sequel-.html

My biggest hope is that they increase the level cap on the older figures and maybe add one new power through a Soul Gem. Or open up the secondary branching path.

Hope the Giant figures don't cost twice as much.