Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

• Please log in to reply
2446 replies to this topic

#31 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

^Do what makes you happy. I'm an adult, with a wife, office job, a mortgage and all the other boring bits and pieces. I also happen to have a weakness for accessory driven novelty games.
Spoiler

#32 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Thats the problem. Me Too!!! ;D
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#33 deantjeep

deantjeep

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Don't worry about being an older guy and wanting this game and collecting the figures. Playing these games with our kids keeps us young. I have been having a ball playing this game with my 9 year old daughter. We both love Spyro and anything Spyro will get our attention. The game is simple yet as you progress it gets more challenging, that is where the co-op really helps. It's fun to level up your characters and buy new powers. We will end up collecting the entire set for sure.

As to the difference between the Wii and PS3. I understand that besides the lesser graphics on the Wii, the controls via the Wii mote are not as good as playing with a DS3. Both have wireless portals. I can say playing it on our PS3, the controls are very good and smooth.

Now go and enjoy some good old fun and have fun with your kids! I know I am having a blast!

#34 chronosnes

chronosnes

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

^Do what makes you happy. I'm an adult, with a wife, office job, a mortgage and all the other boring bits and pieces. I also happen to have a weakness for accessory driven novelty games.

+1

I'm sharing this all with my 8 year old son, he is just eating this up. We normally play Halo together (he's quite good, scary), he stated today that Skylanders is "way better than Halo Dad". Halo just got owned by Skylanders, pretty telling.

#35 mmackin

mmackin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

The volcanic vault is a battle arena though which is different from the adventure packs which include a full new level, one new character and two items. There are four confirmed adventure packs so I doubt we'll see volcanic vault in one of those. I'd love to be proven wrong though for my wallets sake.

I've seen this volcanic vault item.. and it's the size of a quarter. It's going to be packed into something.. Just like those adventure packs that have the character, the zone item, and the two extra pieces... the volcanic vault is the same size as those small extra items.. yeah I might be wrong.. but I'm pretty sure it's going to be in some adventure / battle pack.

#36 chronosnes

chronosnes

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

In the online game the volcanic vault translates into "Limited Edition Adventure Pack - The Burning Aqueduc Battle Arena". It lists one item which looks like the vault.

Just bought the PS3 version from BB to see what this "vault" is and how it shows up within the games plus picked up the 3DS version for my son as a present for Xmas. Good job Activision, you've gotten a ton of money outta me from this game already :/

Edited by Snap, 18 October 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#37 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

Note on the web game - You can swap figures on the portal anywhere to change who you are playing as. I thought you had to go to your lair ._. Makes leveling multiple at once easy. Run around, find plant, swap.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#38 Xalaga

Xalaga

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

It's as big as the other chapters, i think it's definately worth it. New character, 2 items that can be used once per level, and 2 levels if you own the 3DS and a console version, one on each.

Thank you! I went and picked both up and the set of figures i needed in order to have one of each elements. Haven't opened the adventure packs yet, but im really exited about it!

And I don't have any kids >_> lol

#39 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

Played the crypt stage tonight. It was longer than the first 3 levels I had played on the ps3, and a fair bit more involved.
Spoiler

#40 JSP

JSP

Return to my Roots

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

What the Fuck
Posted Image

where scoob

#41 chronosnes

chronosnes

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Amazon appears to have started to drop their prices on some of the Skylanders toys... could be something to compete with Toys R Us.

#42 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

Thank you! I went and picked both up and the set of figures i needed in order to have one of each elements. Haven't opened the adventure packs yet, but im really exited about it!

And I don't have any kids >_> lol

Hah... give in to temptation.. buy more! :O

I already had one of each element, grabbed the Legendary 3-pack, Stealth Elf, and Eruptor tonight at Toys R Us. Passed the $100 mark so should get a coupon eventually, and I passed $300 spent at Toys R Us in this rewards period with NO game purchases outside of Skylanders. My Star Wars and GI Joe collection are quite nice now..

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#43 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

Anyone else who needs one of the Volcanic Vault pieces - there's a guy on eBay with "10 available" (and has already sold 7, one to me) for a /decent/ price (assuming the pieces are going to remain exclusive and not as 1/4th of a $20 pack later on) - although a tad higher than I had wanted to go.

I'm not going to link to the auction, because I don't particularly want to promote someone else's auctions *and* I haven't received mine yet, so I can't really vouch for the seller... but if you're desperate and willing to take a risk (like I am), this might be worth looking at.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#44 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

is anyone playing the 3DS game? I put some guys from my PS3 on the 3DS portal, and they came into the game with the appropriate lvl and hats, etc, but I haven't tried to transfer them back to the PS3 yet. I'm wondering how that will work. The 3DS portal only stays on for about 15 seconds while the character is transfered, then it turns off. The system stores 2 characters in the game max so that you can take it on the go and not have to haul toys and portals around in the car. To me, that would indicate that any experience the character is earning is saved in the game, and not on the figure- I've been using Stealth Elf a lot in the 3DS and took her from 2 to 4 so far, and I don't want to transfer her back and lose that experience.
Spoiler

#45 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

I'm guessing Pokemon is so jealous right now.

#46 GCS

GCS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

If anyone is interested in the TRU exclusive 3 pack set lmk as I have an extra one.

Greg

#47 just joe

just joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

My son and I have been really enjoying the game, my daughter who is not much of a gamer even played a bit so I got her Stealth Elf as that seems to be the only female character.

I have the 360 version, has anyone else had problems with the portal? It works perfectly most of the time, however today with one character (sonic boom) it would sometimes not register, and with two players when the second would join it would completely remove the first players character and give the first player the newly added one. I don't know if this would be a sensitive figurine or if I should just exchange my copy of the game/portal.

#48 Mayday

Mayday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

I know Jeff Gertsman from Giantbomb has bought all the figures, I'm sure they'll have some funny videos about the game.

#49 crax

crax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

OK for people with kids, how old are they and can they play this game? My son is 5 and a half, really wants this. Would he actually be able to do anything in it?

#50 just joe

just joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

OK for people with kids, how old are they and can they play this game? My son is 5 and a half, really wants this. Would he actually be able to do anything in it?

My son is 7 and he is about to finish the game. It is pretty straight forward and makes a great first action rpg. I think your son at 5 could handle it and would really like it, I also think you would enjoy playing with him if he ever did need help.

#51 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

I purchased the Starter kit from Kmart (Game+3 figures) on 360, The first time I tried to use Spyro on the portal I get a white screen error (says their is something wrong with the toy), the other 2 figures work perfectly, how does one fix this? I heard reports about the Spyro error on the PC game but not 360 (then again I believe the Portal on PC/360 are same)
Posted Image

#52 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

does anyone know if the web game stats factor into the regular game at all? you can level up your character from 1-10 in that game as well, collect money, and whatnot. It shows up on your figure if you look at their stats in the 3DS or the PS3, but I don't know what it means.

Also- i'm not too far into the game, but I noticed that the store has some item that shows how much of a discount you will get on moves- looks like a little blue rock, or a butterfly or something. Whats that?
Spoiler

#53 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

does anyone know if the web game stats factor into the regular game at all? you can level up your character from 1-10 in that game as well, collect money, and whatnot. It shows up on your figure if you look at their stats in the 3DS or the PS3, but I don't know what it means.

Also- i'm not too far into the game, but I noticed that the store has some item that shows how much of a discount you will get on moves- looks like a little blue rock, or a butterfly or something. Whats that?

The first butterfly appears after you beat a certain chapter. After that you can find them on the safe island hidden in various places as you unlock more island.

If money you get on the PC play transfers to the console that's pretty awesome. Some of my characters are running low and I don't feel like rerunning stages too much.

ALSO the dodge 30 sharks trophy is much more of a bitch than I thought it would be.

#54 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I don't think the web money transfers over to the console version- but there is a tab on your character stats that shows what your SSU rank is for that character.

I think the money is used to buy stuff for your home base- such as a larger island, different types of trees, etc.

It appears to be just for decoration, but i'd imagine that a larger island would contain more plants and activies to earn experience.
Spoiler

#55 draven1089

draven1089

Why So Serious ?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thinking this and some figures will be a santa gift to the boys.

Posted Image

Many Fall, Few Rise

#56 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:54 AM

My boys are 6 and 4... they love it. They were/are Pokemaniacs and now all the want/play/talk about is Skylanders. Hell I imagine just putting the guys on the portal is a kick ass feeling for the kids, seeing them explode into the game.

#57 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

I mainly bought this game to flip since I got it from the Kmart Glitch ($50 off any game automatically), but then I read about it and sounded interesting, opened it up and wow its a pretty fun game even for adults. I like it because its essently a modern day Gauntlet legends/RPG. The concept is very well done. Only thing my figure that came with Starter Kit (Spyro) does not work at all. I think it would be a hasstle exchanging it at Kmart because I only paid $19.99 instead of $70, and they might ask about the glitched coupon.
Posted Image

#58 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

So any more impressions of the game? I'm thinking about getting this for my son for Christmas. He couldn't get enough of it at the Kiosk at TRU. He's 4 but he is pretty awesome at games.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#59 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

Well, Santa brought Skylanders and 4 extra figures for my son for Christmas. This game is awesome for him. It is really fun and when he isn't playing the game he is playing with the figures. I think Santa screwed up picking out the extra guys though because he has 2 tech guys and two magic guys and there are some groups where he has none. I may need to remedy that this week. This game definitely won Christmas in my house.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#60 io

io

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Well, Santa brought Skylanders and 4 extra figures for my son for Christmas. This game is awesome for him. It is really fun and when he isn't playing the game he is playing with the figures. I think Santa screwed up picking out the extra guys though because he has 2 tech guys and two magic guys and there are some groups where he has none. I may need to remedy that this week. This game definitely won Christmas in my house.

Heh - good luck finding figures. They are tough to find now. I think a lot of people went out after Christmas to pick up the ones they needed and/or wanted. Fortunately Santa had brought my son one of each element because he did his homework on what was needed for the game. I don't know what the hell he was thinking when he went to your house ;).

Still, though, my son decided he had to have Stump Smash (in addition to the Stealth Elf he already got). Fortunately, the 3-pack with that and 2 others he didn't have was available at GS, though it took some calling around to get one held. When we got there the other 3-packs were being held for other customers so it was a good thing we did that in advance.

So he's got quite the collection now. I know those questions are from a while back, but as for age, my son is 9 and he can get through most of the game easily enough. Too much younger than that, though, and they might have some trouble with the boss fights in any case. I had to help him with the Undead world boss fight tonight. His 4 year old brother loves swapping the characters out and pushing the attack button to see what they do (his favorite: Dino-Rang). But he doesn't even get the concept of moving the character with the left stick, so he doesn't really play. So my 9 year-old can't really do anything when his younger brother is around. It is really an odd thing, because both of my older boys could play Mario Sunshine and the like when they were 4. And if anything, the youngest is far more athletic and coordinated in general. He just doesn't get video games.

As for the game, another problem we keep having is the game freezing up. My 9 year-old was trying to get through that Undead section and it froze 5 or 6 times including once when he was nearly done with the boss. And when you start it back up you have to do the entire level over again. This is the PS3 version.

I also got him the 3DS version (cheap via B2G1 at Best Buy so I figured why the hell not - I sold Dark Spyro and Ignitor on eBay for about $60 to more than pay it off) but we haven't played that yet. Is it exactly the same game?

At some point I'll have to play for the trophies. But that final where you have to beat the end boss without swapping out any characters I think may be pretty hard. We had to use about 10 chars just to get through the Undead level.