• Please log in to reply
2506 replies to this topic

#1771 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Yup yup.

Any of you got Eye-Brawl? If you do, what path do you think is better for him? I don't use the eye ball blaster move that much but it seems more interesting than the melee path that just upgrades his armor and attack power, plus gives you a new combo(I don't bother with the fancy combos, button smashing kinda works in this game just as well).

I think both of his paths are rather boring. I chose the Eyeball expansion, and it's just basically like having trigger happy, except the eye ball is quicker.
You should try both, and see which one you like better. I think a fully upgraded thumpback is a much better character, even with the speed reduction.

A quick way of earning funds is to just do the arena challenge before the very last one in the game. It nets you a quick 1100 for a minute or two of work...rinse and repeat. Boring, but better than most of the alternatives.

#1772 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

uncle Bob and def pally, let it die now. I don't one attempt from either of you to get the last word in. it's the internet, you had a discussion, points were made. now Stop.

or you win a one week silence.
gwensigol8.png

#1773 superoreo

superoreo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

WELP!!!

We are soo screwed. Skylanders Swap Force just announced for fall 2013 release. Two part swappable. 16 characters. Vicarious Visions (mostly mobile version devs) HD and Toys for Bob is "out". http://www.polygon.c...wo-part-figures

With this and Disney infinity, I am so broke.

#1774 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Vicarious Visions made the 3DS version of Spyro's Adventure and the Wii U port of Giants. Sad to see Toys For Bob go, but I'm not too worried.

n-Space is still on board for the 3DS version of Swap Force, so that's good. They made some awesome improvements for the 3DS version of Giants.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#1775 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'm happy to see them inovating the product, but I think i'm going to use this as my exit. I can't keep buying 30 of these things a year.
Spoiler

#1776 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Taking a quick look, the new figures are uglier than what's out now. Oh well.

Looks like a few scalpers made it to ToysRus today, as a few Ninjinis are up on Ebay. A big Fuck you to Activision for ending things this way. The last two Giants were and still are very limited in production, and this Ninjini PR stunt was garbage for fans of the game.

#1777 langdon_alger

langdon_alger

Phlebitis!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

i just wish they would have waited until all the figs were available for this game before announcing the next one.

#1778 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'm happy to see them inovating the product, but I think i'm going to use this as my exit. I can't keep buying 30 of these things a year.

I think im on the same page. Announcing 16 new figures was a plus, but saying they're going to release version 3's of 16 characters we've already bought twice (or more than twice depending on lightcore/legendary variants) puts a bad taste in my mouth.

My prediction for Toyfair 2014. Skylanders that come in blind boxes so you don't know what figure you're buying.

538822.png

#1779 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

The thing is, though - they can't just completely stop making the old characters. There's demand for them.

Take Boomer, for example. There were times, when looking for figures, he'd be the only one on the peg - and there'd be about a billion on him. Now, he's going for $30+ for OPEN figures.

People who missed out on the earlier games need the ability to get the older characters without resorting to eBay.

While I'm sure Activision knows there are some of us crazies who will buy three packages of "turd on a stick" if they put the Skylanders logo on it, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Activision doesn't expect everyone to buy every single repose of every single figure. Having a Series 1 Sonic Boom, Series 2 Sonic Boom and a "Special" Sonic Boom doesn't really give you anything extra in the game, beyond a higher number in your "Collections" menu.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#1780 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Actually, I believe "Turd on a Stick" is one of the characters in the next series

SI

#1781 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I really enjoy the hunt of collecting the figures, but I am beginning to be mildly ashamed of the giant bag of S1 figures that I have no use for anymore after S2 came out, and I know that it's going to get bigger if I continue to buy them year after year.

The real question is how are the "16 reposes" going to be handled? Based on a quick count- that could be every S1 figure that didn't get a repose, and every regular figure introduced in Giants. I doubt they will do that though- because that would mean that series favorites that were reposed last time won't be represented in the new game at all.

If they keep introducing characters, and only doing a 3rd of the characters as reposes, some of the figures are going to fall to the wayside due to level caps. I'm wondering if activision feels those characters didn't sell well enough to continue with the series, or if they are going to try to juggle them all somehow.

I realized that they released Giants quickly after SA, but I thought that being attributed to the fact that SA could have been a huge failure. After seeing how the audience took to the product, they went to make one with a higher budget and whatever. It hadn't really occured to me that it was going to be annualized (i guess i wasn't thinking logically).
Spoiler

#1782 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

With everything, Activision has to run an IP into the ground, Call of Duty is there only real profitable game that hasn't lost steam yet right? I'll give the third series a big though, it's getting expensive with Giants and I have that pokemon mentality of "gotta have them all," excluding the rare variants.

I think I'll jump ship after this one and start on Disney Infinity, I think my kids will like that one more, I guess we will see.

#1783 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Actually, I believe "Turd on a Stick" is one of the characters in the next series

They already gave us a flaming turd in a bag with Hot Dog's special ability. And according to the announcement video, pungent farting will be featured on at least one of the Swap Force. Gotta love toilet humor.

Did anyone else find Kaos hilarious in that video? Me and my sons were rolling at the "my diaper is full of EVILLLL!!!" at the end.

I'm personally more excited about Swap Force than Skylanders, and so are my boys - we watched the videos for both of them together. They love Disney, but the game is just a bit of an unknown at this point. They were like "that's cool" for Infinity, but wanted to watch the Swap Force one three times. Sandboxy games can be fun, they love Minecraft for example, but it is hard to tell exactly what you are trying to accomplish other than play around with "fish out of water" characters in other worlds. It seems like a novelty. And the announced pricing is a bit high (not that Skylanders are cheap). I do see how many find Infinity very intriguing, so we may be in the minority on this.

Given the gaming budget I set, I think one collectible game series will be enough in my household. Skylanders has the advantage because we are already invested in that game - and the ones we have will work in Swap Force. It isn't a lock though, I'll have to see how they both turn out. Competition is good, it will challenge them both to be better!

#1784 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I really enjoy the hunt of collecting the figures, but I am beginning to be mildly ashamed of the giant bag of S1 figures that I have no use for anymore after S2 came out, and I know that it's going to get bigger if I continue to buy them year after year.

The real question is how are the "16 reposes" going to be handled? Based on a quick count- that could be every S1 figure that didn't get a repose, and every regular figure introduced in Giants. I doubt they will do that though- because that would mean that series favorites that were reposed last time won't be represented in the new game at all.

If they keep introducing characters, and only doing a 3rd of the characters as reposes, some of the figures are going to fall to the wayside due to level caps. I'm wondering if activision feels those characters didn't sell well enough to continue with the series, or if they are going to try to juggle them all somehow.

I realized that they released Giants quickly after SA, but I thought that being attributed to the fact that SA could have been a huge failure. After seeing how the audience took to the product, they went to make one with a higher budget and whatever. It hadn't really occured to me that it was going to be annualized (i guess i wasn't thinking logically).

We know Stealth Elf is getting a Swap Force repose, so having a Giants repose won't prevent it from popping up again.

And here's a link that shows off the new Tech and Undead skylanders http://www.blogcdn.c...02/dsc06096.jpg

#1785 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Woo boy you guys seeing the Ninjini prices since that giveaway yesterday? As predicted, they're selling high. I just hope more kids got them that day than scalpers.

#1786 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Wow, one sold for $300!?! That's insane

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pok√©mon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#1787 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Wow, one sold for $300!?! That's insane

I bet you that was Uncle Bob, he just couldn't wait.

#1788 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

lol. Do want, but not at that price.

I'm patient enough to wait until I grab one in a store for $15. :D

#1789 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I was at TRU and they had $5 off the triple packs and battle packs. Not the best price but at least it makes it the old MSRP.

#1790 io

io

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I think I'm out too. My kids have barely played Giants. They still want the new characters, though, and I will still be getitng the last 3 Giants (have yet to find Eye Brawl or Thumpback). But I've really scaled back my searching. Last year for Wham-Shell, etc, I was calling all around trying to find it. This time they'll either show up in stores as commons or I'll just pass. In fact, I may wait until there is some sort of sale to get them. This buying them at retail+ (ie, TRU) stuff is just killing my CAG sensibillities.

The new game can go jump in a lake - I'm not even going to look at that trailer. WAY too much WAY too soon. I'm not even going to tell my kids about it. The older one probably doesn't care any more anyway, and the younger ones will eventually find out when they start running ads for it and I'll deal with it then.

#1791 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Found a 3DS Starter pack at Wal-Mart on clearance for $38, Wal-Mart clearance is extreme ymmv, prices and the item actually being on clearance will vary. Not pertaining to this thread but I also found a Wii Fit Plus bundle for $55.

EDIT: This was for the Wal-Mart exclusive pack with the glow in the dark Cynder.

#1792 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

B1G1 40% all Skylanders figures and accessories next week at TRU. Hot Dog battle packs are shipping to stores now too.

#1793 GamerChris

GamerChris

It's a Funny Name.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

The triple packs are currently 30% off this week at TRU. That'll make 3 weeks in a row they've been on sale.

#1794 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

The triple packs are currently 30% off this week at TRU. That'll make 3 weeks in a row they've been on sale.

lol...with their ToysRus 'tax' that just means they're msrp around here.

#1795 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

Well, the Skylanders Coliseum display at Toys R Us has finally dropped (like I had hoped it would). It's on clearance for $14.99 and is Buy One, Get One FREE this week. Regular price is $20.

Posted Image

I picked up one of these when they first came out and rated it pretty crappy, as it doesn't technically hold the Giants (the round spots on the top aren't big enough for their bases) and they don't even hold some of the taller regular characters (regular S2 Cynder and Ignitor are kinda slipped in just right so that her wings and his sword are a little "bent") - at $20, I wouldn't suggest these to virtually anyone. At $7.50, they're a pretty decent price.

#1796 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

Well, the Skylanders Coliseum display at Toys R Us has finally dropped (like I had hoped it would). It's on clearance for $14.99 and is Buy One, Get One FREE this week. Regular price is $20.

Posted Image

I picked up one of these when they first came out and rated it pretty crappy, as it doesn't technically hold the Giants (the round spots on the top aren't big enough for their bases) and they don't even hold some of the taller regular characters (regular S2 Cynder and Ignitor are kinda slipped in just right so that her wings and his sword are a little "bent") - at $20, I wouldn't suggest these to virtually anyone. At $7.50, they're a pretty decent price.

As a guy that only has series one skylanders and only the giants from this series do you think I'd be able to fit all of mine with two sets? How many "shelves" do you get for $15?
Posted Image

#1797 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I saw Hot Dog at multiple retailers this weekend. And picked up a Glitter Sonic Boom.

#1798 megax11

megax11

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

As a guy that only has series one skylanders and only the giants from this series do you think I'd be able to fit all of mine with two sets? How many "shelves" do you get for $15?

They are buy 1 get 1 free. So 16.24 (what it costed me after tax in Oklahoma City) got me 2 of them.

If you only wanted to fit Series 1 figures inside of the displays, and stack the displays, it would take 8 with 4 Skylanders inside of each. You could stack 4 high and 2 rows of 4 side-by-side to get all 32 on display. That leaves 6 of the circular pods on top.

Others on other websites have seen my collection, but here is my collection of Skylanders. You can see the types of shelves I built for my collection.

http://i15.photobuck...01/DSCN0077.jpg
http://i15.photobuck...01/DSCN0090.jpg
http://i15.photobuck...zps87bd0249.jpg
http://i15.photobuck...zpsea31980a.jpg
http://i15.photobuck...zpse890e1e3.jpg

There's more, but I won't post a ton of links here. Anyone interested can see the rest of my collection here -

http://s15.photobuck...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

The best way to display Series 2, Newlanders, and Giants, is to build your own shelf, or on a bookshelf already set up in a room.

#1799 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

I stopped by a couple of gamestops today plus a Best Buy and both had Eye-Brawls and Thumpbacks in-stock.

Picked up one of each at a local BB too over the weekend.

#1800 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

I'm sorry if I offend you but I'm going to assume you payed a lot of money for the variants and if that were the case couldn't you buy some proper shelves instead of having the shitty ones you made. Great collection, a little overkill for me but great to see there is a completsionist.