PINBALL ARCADE XBLA - Xbox One 11/26 Release

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Looks like the wait will be worth it :)

http://www.pinballarcade.com/

-In early 2012 FarSight Studios will bring their critically acclaimed pinball simulation to every major gaming platform. Tables will be coming as DLC "for years to come" from all different pinball manufacturers (Bally, Stern, Williams, Gottlieb).

-2 tables will be released each month as DLC

-Farsight will also be "adding features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play."

-First group of tables include RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THEATRE OF MAGIC, BLACK HOLE, and TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS (which had been released on some platforms previously in the Hall of Fame Collection).

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news, thanks for sharing this! Hopefully they follow through and release and support it unlike their Gottlieb XBLA title.

It's going to be really interesting to see how well this competes with Pinball FX 2. Will Pinball Arcade DLC tables be released individually? Will people be able to demo tables before buying them? Will the Pinball Arcade platform itself be free? Will FarSight actually be able to get the licences required to release tables such as The Addam's Family, Twilight Zone, and The Simpsons?

No matter what happens, I think we all can agree that the Pinball FX 2 team has been doing a great job with their product so far, and competition is a wonderful thing.

Just updated on their Twitter feed --

"We will be releasing two tables as DLC each month and adding new features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play."

Very, very excited for this. Like SpaceInsomniac said, Zen Studios has been doing a great job at handling pinball in the downloadable space. I trust Farsight with pinball since they did an excellent job with Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection but I do hope they follow in Zen's footsteps with table demos and such. Judging by their Twitter feed it looks like they've got a good idea on how to do this. Let's just hope they follow through with it.

[quote name='SpaceInsomniac']It's going to be really interesting to see how well this competes with Pinball FX 2. Will Pinball Arcade DLC tables be released individually? Will people be able to demo tables before buying them? Will the Pinball Arcade platform itself be free? Will FarSight actually be able to get the licences required to release tables such as The Addam's Family, Twilight Zone, and The Simpsons?

No matter what happens, I think we all can agree that the Pinball FX 2 team has been doing a great job with their product so far, and competition is a wonderful thing.[/QUOTE]

I like Pinball FX2 and I've supported most of Zen's DLC tables, but truthfully I do prefer the tables and physics of the Williams HOF game. Farsight seems to be behind this full blast and I can't wait to play more recreations of actual tables. It has been a long wait, but this trumps a mere HD re-creation of the Gottlieb game IMO.

In terms of licensing, I agree, it'll be interesting to see what they are able to come up with. If they're doing Ripley's, clearly there must be some licensing involved there so that's a good sign.

Overall pinball fanatics will have more to choose from so that's a very good thing. I'm sure there's room for both in the marketplace! :)

More Pinball? Sure, count me in. I like half the tables mentioned and if they promise to keep supporting the game and even listen to what the fans want i'm sure they will win a lot of people over. They should take polls and let people vote on which tables they'd like to see as there isn't a huge following for pinball arcade right now compared to a game like CoD. The people who do play these games are devoted though. I've supported Zen throughout and have every table on 360. Still looking forward to more..

That Williams HoF game is easily the best pinball game on the 360 so I'm pretty excited for this. Hopefully they can nail down a good amount of licensed stuff.

A friend of mine pointed out that some really wonky stuff is going on in Black Hole. The ball goes down the lower playfield exit, which is impossible in the real game. I hope they haven't royally screwed things up as bad as that in other games as well.

Looking forward to this release... Let's see how it stacks up versus FX2.

A little peeved about them including TotAN... we already HAVE that one!

Let's hope they get a few more of the movie and TV licensed tables... T2 anyone? ;) The Shadow would be a great addition as well.

The ball still looks like it moves in moonball fashion. That worries me a bit. Not that it will stop me from buying it. Maybe this time they'll let us adjust things like playfield angle and get rid of that problem.

I hope they offer some of the older tables. I know not a lot of people dig them but I do. If this is as good as their previous collections I can't see not buying every table released.

I loved the T2 table! How about Star Trek TNG while we're at it? Please please keep the great style of the Pinball Hall of Fame instruction tutorials! I get a lot of enjoyment out of FX2 but it the rule sheets are awful. I shouldn't have to scrounge around online just to figure out how to play a table.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I hope they offer some of the older tables. I know not a lot of people dig them but I do. If this is as good as their previous collections I can't see not buying every table released.[/QUOTE]

The older tables are lots of fun! Give us more EMs please! :lol:

[quote name='sp8001']Looking forward to this release... Let's see how it stacks up versus FX2.

A little peeved about them including TotAN... we already HAVE that one!

Let's hope they get a few more of the movie and TV licensed tables... T2 anyone? ;) The Shadow would be a great addition as well.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath on the licensed tables... It's a legal headache and great expense from what I've heard.. I'm surprised they were able to pull off Ripleys!
Right on about TotAN and Black hole.. We already saw those in other collections. They can't bitch how they have no money so they're re-using things, because these sold pretty good I understand..

[quote name='gubmccargen']I loved the T2 table! How about Star Trek TNG while we're at it? Please please keep the great style of the Pinball Hall of Fame instruction tutorials! I get a lot of enjoyment out of FX2 but it the rule sheets are awful. I shouldn't have to scrounge around online just to figure out how to play a table.[/QUOTE]

My first real pinball table will probably be T2, so I'm not worried if that's not included. I'd love to see those tutorials too! Those are friggin' awesome!

After Pinball FX2 these guys have a lot to match up to. I thought Williams Collection was alright. I just don't have the nostalgia factor. To me they're just games that want your quarters.

FX2 is excellent from a technical standpoint, but the games themselves are pretty universally poorly designed. Pinball Arcade inherently doesn't have that problem. Yes they need to improve on the features and physics fronts, but I can't wait for it regardless.

This is great! Arcades may be dead, but games like this and Pinball FX2 are keeping the spirit alive! Personally, I'm pumped to play Ripley's Believe it or Not in my own home!

[quote name='kburns10']This is great! Arcades may be dead, but games like this and Pinball FX2 are keeping the spirit alive! Personally, I'm pumped to play Ripley's Believe it or Not in my own home![/QUOTE]
Not so fast, some arcades are alive and well! Granted I live 2 miles away from it, but Pinballz Arcade in Austin has totally kept me from completing my collection of FX2 machines. Also, nice avatar.

[quote name='bsmiff']Not so fast, some arcades are alive and well! Granted I live 2 miles away from it, but Pinballz Arcade in Austin has totally kept me from completing my collection of FX2 machines. Also, nice avatar.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I'm making a trip to Austin sometime! The closest thing we have to this out in AZ is Castles and Coasters and tbh, they have a pretty nice selection of arcade games (one of the last ones left). But I don't even think they host pinball leagues like at your location.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of DOOM :)

I don't know if people have been watching their Facebook page but a good amount of new info and some great videos up on youtube. I'm REALLY hopping this is out in January.

From their FB page:

As of today, we are still projecting a launch on iOS and Android later this month and confident that we’ll hit it. We are doing our best to be a launch title for PS Vita in February, and the Mac version will also release then. The 360, PS3, and PC versions will be released at the end of March. We’ll use this extra time to improve the game and address as many of the comments that you’ve given us as we can. Please help spread the word about the game if you like what you’ve seen. For The Pinball Arcade to be successful and continue delivering tables for years to come, we’re going to need a lot of help getting people to notice us. In the meantime, we’ll be looking into limited beta releases soon on mobile devices, so check back on our Facebook page for details!"

Good news, if they follow through with a quality product and meet their promises. I was looking to invest into some FX2 tables sometime soon, so I may wait and see how well this is received when it releases.

Still eagerly awaiting this release :D!

Here are the announced future DLC tables...

Medieval Madness
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Circus Voltaire

And just announced last night...

Monster Bash
Attack from Mars!

Looks like we are in for a treat ;)

The iOS version comes out tonight. Android sometime soonish. The iOS version has this list of upcoming DLC (in addition to the day 1 ones):

Monster Bash®, Medieval Madness®, Creature from the Black Lagoon®, Funhouse®, Attack from Mars®, Black Knight®, Space Shuttle®, Pin•Bot®, Circus Voltaire®, Big Shot®, (and many others for years to come!)

From the sounds of it, all platforms will get all of the DLC, so this should be good for XBLA as well. The release games are Tales of the Arabian Nights, Theatre of Magic (yes!), Ripley's Believe it or Not and Black Hole.

I can't imagine Creature being a good digital pin, it's just too busy and the forced perspectives will just be a complete pain. I'm in for Monster Bash though. Between that and MM it's pretty easy to call that the high water mark for pinball.

I really, really wish they would integrate Kinect head tracking into it. Then you could lean to either side to look from a side perspective to make side shots and such, or crouch down to get a lower view, or up to see rollovers at the top. It would be an awesome use of Kinect. Alas I've heard nothing of that.

AFM is a better game than MM, but that's a matter of opinion. MM is a great game too, though. I'm also really looking forward to Cirqus Voltaire (and Monster Bash) and really all of them. Heck I'll even buy a digital version of Popeye! ;) It's a museum of sorts to me. Better record that incredible bit of awfulness for posterity. LOL.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That Williams HoF game is easily the best pinball game on the 360 so I'm pretty excited for this. Hopefully they can nail down a good amount of licensed stuff.[/QUOTE]

me too!

I love Pinball FX2 because it has the snazzy tables and cool licenses. But it doesn't match up to Pinball Hall of Fame in terms of physics and just feeling like pinball...

But PHoF just felt better. It just felt more like real pinball. And it was based on tables I actually played when I was a kid. and if The Pinball Arcade can top the physics of PHoF... man, I'm getting excited!!!

If The Pinball Arcade can snag licenses for some of the awesome pinball games I played as a kid like Terminator 2, Addams Family, The Simpsons, etc., I'll buy every table.

looking at some of the upcoming tables, there's a lot of rehashing from the Gottlieb and Williams collections...

I'm willing to pick up Gottlieb tables (maybe) since I didn't get The Gottlieb Collection.

but for The Williams Collection, I'm more than happy with the tables in that version. I'd be hard-pressed to buy them again unless the physics and authenticity is off the charts.

So if I was Farsight, I would make sure their business model first focused on new tables to make sure they make money and stay solvent. Then add the tables from the other games later on. Otherwise, people who have been buying these other collections may hold off and then Farsight won't have money to get to the good tables.

I saw this video in another forum. it's full of pure awesome!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOgudjhHaw8&feature=player_embedded

too bad that Youtube doesn't allow 60 fps videos (one of the major issues I have with Youtube).

Its literately worth it owning the Xbox 360 for JUST Pinball FX2, at least for me, I play a ton! I definitely don't mind investing money and MS points into these games, they are very good and its not like you are paying for content that is already on the disc. Besides I think the prices are pretty reasonable, around $3 a table, I could blow that on a real pinball machine that doesn't work in a few min.

Also pinball here is pretty much dead, but I love the game, any machine found these days is usually in very poor condition and very unplayable.

I would like please;

Bride of Pinbot
Twilight Zone
High Speed
Harlem Globetrotters
Buck Rogers
Indiana Jones (yea not getting that one I'm sure)

[quote name='nasum']I can't imagine Creature being a good digital pin, it's just too busy and the forced perspectives will just be a complete pain. I'm in for Monster Bash though. Between that and MM it's pretty easy to call that the high water mark for pinball.[/QUOTE]

There was a decent Creature conversion on an old Williams Pinball PC CD-ROM I had way back when. They didn't license the original music but I still got a lot of mileage out of it.

[quote name='SaraAB']Also pinball here is pretty much dead, but I love the game, any machine found these days is usually in very poor condition and very unplayable.[/QUOTE]

It's largely become a hobbyists game, with people owning machines, but some of us are lucky enough to be in a pinball league and have a place to play where the games are well maintained. Or have a game or two (I have one). :)

FYI, the game on iOS is fantastic (except for the use of Facebook for leader boards but I imagine that won't be the case on Xbox anyway). The physics are way better than Pinball FX2, and also better than Pinball Hall of Fame, and of course these are real games. Like PHoF you've got the excellent game tours as well to help you learn the rules. I can't wait to get it for XBLA as well.

I loved the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame (Pinball FX2 sucks in comparison). I just wish we didn't have to wait until March for this on XBLA. I'm not much of a mobile gamer, however I did buy this on android to support FarSight Studios. Those guys are geniuses.

Edit: Whatever happened to the Gottlieb Hall of Fame being released on XBLA?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='raistlin']Edit: Whatever happened to the Gottlieb Hall of Fame being released on XBLA?[/QUOTE]

You mean Games on Demand or whatever they call it (since it was an XBox game)? I don't remember seeing it announced but I'll take your word for it. That said, I briefly owned the Gottlieb game it was pretty underwhelmed, the Williams game was much better.

[quote name='KaneRobot']You mean Games on Demand or whatever they call it (since it was an XBox game)?[/QUOTE]

Actually Bsmiff mentioned it on page 1 of this thread, I should have quoted it in my last post. On a side note I had the disc version at one point, but the tables were just too old for my liking. However, I'd probably buy it anyway just to show my support. I'm also kind of a pinball junky in general.

[quote name='bsmiff']Awesome news, thanks for sharing this! Hopefully they follow through and release and support it unlike their Gottlieb XBLA title. [/QUOTE]

I'm anxious to hear exactly when this is going to be released on XBLA. Also I hope they'll have some more games in it than the iOS version, and for more tables to be released for iOS.

There are some bugs in the iOS version which may be in the engine itself. For example it's possible to lose a ball (mean going missing) in Ripley's Believe it or Not and then have no way to continue your game. There is a "Call Attendant" option, but it doesn't help because the game is confused and puts the ball in the plunger lane but doesn't let you plunge it! Etc. Hopefully they get those straightened out before the console release.

My bet is if it launches at $10 it will be the same 4 as the iOS launch. That would price it roughly the same. No way is an XBLA game gonna be cheaper than the iOS version. I just hope we can get as many pins as possible as quickly as possible.

bread's done
Back