CAGcast #259: Buddhists Do It Cheaper

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

I thought embargoes let the enthusiast press enjoy the wining and dining knowing they have a few days to get sober before they have to describe how the game could be good.

#32 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Cheapy, as far as the iPhone 4s battery issue, I've read that it stems from restoring from a backup and that starting over fresh solves the problem. Of course you might want to do some more intense research on your own before wiping your phone.

#33 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

"The end game of every article is whether or not you’re going to buy something."

Not every article. I've read plenty of articles this year in magazines and online which aren't about that. Here are some of them.

http://www.next-gen....we-finish-games
http://www.gamasutra..._came_to_be.php
http://www.gamasutra...ll_in_game_.php
http://www.1up.com/f...tion-video-game
http://www.1up.com/f...d-games-forever
http://www.1up.com/f...-retail-pricing

#34 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

I thought embargoes let the enthusiast press enjoy the wining and dining knowing they have a few days to get sober before they have to describe how the game could be good.

This is what I've always heard too. It gives the press a chance to sit down and write a well thought out article. Not everyone at the event rushes to a computer and quickly gets up a crap story just so they can be first with a story online.

#35 Playgame38

Playgame38

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Where is the bullshit quarterly post?
Thx
Posted Image
Game Collection: CAG

#36 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

Ship made a good case for review embargos but not for news embargos- which I think is the problem. I am not sure why game "journalists" cannot operate under deadlines or time pressures that every other journalist does.

BTW- it's not just Jewish Mothers. My mother (Lutheran) wasn't exactly pleased when my daughter started Jewish preschool but then she told me she was glad my girl was at least getting some religion.

#37 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I was bored, so I stole zekeike's idea from last week's blog.

Posted Image

#38 LaserSanchez

LaserSanchez

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

Ship made a good case for review embargos but not for news embargos- which I think is the problem. I am not sure why game "journalists" cannot operate under deadlines or time pressures that every other journalist does.

I thought news embargoes were for the benefit of the publisher, as in they can control how the information trickles out to properly build hype according to how the marketing and management of the publisher sees fit. But hey, feel free to bash the profession of game journalist. Not enough out there fighting the good fight against enthusiast press.

#39 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

I thought news embargoes were for the benefit of the publisher, as in they can control how the information trickles out to properly build hype according to how the marketing and management of the publisher sees fit. But hey, feel free to bash the profession of game journalist. Not enough out there fighting the good fight against enthusiast press.

hold on there sparky. I was responding to this idea..

This is what I've always heard too. It [embargo] gives the press a chance to sit down and write a well thought out article. Not everyone at the event rushes to a computer and quickly gets up a crap story just so they can be first with a story online.

If they are a real "journalists", they should be used to working on a deadline or writing a story under time pressure. I happen to think there are some out there.

I think review embargo's help both and news embargo only help the publisher.

#40 thefordprefect

thefordprefect

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Any comics readers out there I have a question. Wakanda is near or bordering Ethiopa and Somalia, but was one of the richest nations in the world when it had all of its vibranium. So doesn't that make T'Challa a huge dick when considering the nature of just those two countries?

#41 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Was digging around and found this... sounds like wave 2 of the skylanders might be avail Nov 18th?

http://www.amazon.es/Figura-Skylanders-Spyros-adventures-Hex/dp/B005JDJXJ2

#42 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

Picked up Skylanders today at K-mart after listening to the CAGcast. It's a Christmas gift for the kiddos so I don't get to try it out anytime soon though.

#43 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

If there were no embargoes, it's not necessarily the best writer will succeed, the FASTEST writer will.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#44 Liveforlaughs76

Liveforlaughs76

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

Wombat, the word you were looking for was parochial, meaning of a parish. It only applies to Christian schools as far as I know.

#45 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

I had to skip over the second half of that " embargo" talk. How many times have they had this discussion but with slightly different ideas? We get it guys, embargo's are good for them, and shitty for us. Done. No more talking about that. Otherwise, good show as always.

#46 MikeFightNight

MikeFightNight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Entertaining show guys!

I fully agree with Wombat’s stance that “it’s the journey not the destination” when it comes to game endings. The first game that came to mind was Oblivion, I have no memory of the ending but what I do remember is all the awesome side stuff that gave the game character. I also agree with Shipwreck that embargoes do have a place in game journalism, especially when it comes to reviews. However I did have a good “Oh shit” moment when Wombat made the conclusion that the only reason embargoes exist is to draw attention to games through leaks, the crazy part was I wasn’t even high!

I also think that Shipwreck and Jeff Gerstmann should make their own Skylanders Anonymous group, if you heard the last bombcast you will know what I am talking about. Before attending the meeting please, leave your Drobot at home.

Edited by MikeFightNight, 29 October 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#47 LaserSanchez

LaserSanchez

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Ah, ok. I guess I was mostly thrown off by your use of quotations around the J-word.

I appreciate a save-it-for-the=next-day news embargo. Having a night to finely tweak a story instead of vomiting Tweets about a press show just seems a bit more civilized. People got some real good journalism done back in the days before the 24-hour news cycle. These days, I'd personally rather read an article about Ezio that comes along with some in game footage or screenshots than see a few sentences about how Ezio is in the game and seeing someone's blurry camera-phone shot.

During that part of the show, I think Wombat and Ship almost touched on whether or not the leaks could be manufactured. It's an interesting idea, but it seemed to backfire because it feels like no one is talking about Soul Calibur V. Oops!

#48 Tonezorz

Tonezorz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

Wombat, you have way too much confidence in the "educated gamer" and their ability to discern between a good and bad game review. A large number of perhaps even your favorite game-related sites want your clicks, not your opinion. You know as well as anyone that if you saw a link circulating for the very first "Batman Arkham World" review, you would click it. Giving them your click-worth of money, even if the resulting landing page was 1 sentence saying "Looks like an expansion to Arkham City, like, without a big wall around it."

While the embargo system sucks, it's a necessary evil for this field of journalism. It drives quality and equal competition. Some reviewers are still terrible regardless of the length of time they've had a game.

(This is the part where you say how bad just about everything Kotaku does is, and go off on that tangent for 10 mins)

#49 MikeFightNight

MikeFightNight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

After listening to this week's Bombcast and then today's CAG Cast I just had to make this. Anyone who listened to both podcasts should get it.

Posted Image

Edited by MikeFightNight, 29 October 2011 - 12:29 AM.

#50 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

I've gotten sucked into the collect-the-all aspect of Skylanders too, but they need to figure out a way to give achievements for the bonus levels on the store-bought stages. Then the obsession will be complete.
The Portal of Power technology is impressive; I expected a delay between changing figures and the reaction in-game, but there is none. It is disappointing that the characters aren't referred to with their names, only as "skylander". And I've not heard any of them talk, except the moment they're placed on the portal. Why voice one line, but nothing else?

I'm excited and afraid that there is no reason why Activision can't team up with Heroclix to use this technology for the next Marvel Ultimate Alliance game.

#51 bigdale

bigdale

Your friend and mine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

Wombat is correct in criticizing what passes for journalism in gaming. The reason that embargoes exist is because the game industry has the press scared into doing what they want, when they want. Somehow movie and music criticism is possible without embargoes, perhaps because the media wields the power by providing coverage at their discretion. Leaks happen all the time, sourced by the observant public and people who work in the industry. The same thing would happen in the games industry and publishers would be eager to try to woo games press outlets in order to get the spin they want. A lot of it comes down to the games press abandoning all their power in order to get early and/or free access to final products. It's a compromising position to accept freebies (games, travel, booze and food) and there is a reason why film and music critics who avail themselves of the junkets and swag bags are looked down upon by critics and consumers who value independence and credibility.

Edited by bigdale, 29 October 2011 - 02:28 PM.

:hot: :drool:

#52 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:23 AM

http://www.1up.com/f...-retail-pricing

This article was painful to read. Pulling together bits and pieces that make sense on their own and combining them with comments that clearly show you have no idea what you're talking about does not make you a journalist. It makes you a guy who suckered 1up into paying you for an incoherent and pointless article.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#53 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

Regarding the Battlefield discussion:

Cheapy mentioned that the PC visuals put the consoles to shame. Shipwreck replied, "Yeah, but you're really gonna want to play this on your TV."

I just want to point out: PCs have HDMI ports. Yeah, I agree, sitting at a desk to play a game doesn't sound like fun. Good thing I don't do that, even though my preferences lean towards PC. The experience of playing Batman on PC paired with a TV and a 360 controller is indistinguishable from playing it on an actual 360 (aside from additional visual effects, higher frame rate, and faster load times).

Yes, I realize that Shipwreck was referring specifically to Cheapy's situation, which doesn't involve a computer hooked up to his TV. I'm just tired of hearing the "Yeah, but you want your COUCH" / "Yeahhh, you're right." conversation when some hot new game didn't just port the console textures to PC. I don't mean that you guys do it all the time, it's not just the CAGcast.

#54 BobTheGamer

BobTheGamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:35 AM

I love the podcasts, but I tried Audible and the program won't even recognize iTunes so I could put it on my phone. So I go to cancel, and you have to call to cancel. That's BS.

#55 just-joe

just-joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

What turned me off about Battlefield 3 was that it's trying too hard to be like Modern Warfare. It looks as if they scrapped the humor and laid back feel that in was Bad Company and are taking it way too seriously. One of the reason I liked Battlefield is because it wasn't Modern Warfare and after playing the beta, I lost what little interest I had in the title.

fs.png

#56 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

I love the podcasts, but I tried Audible and the program won't even recognize iTunes so I could put it on my phone. So I go to cancel, and you have to call to cancel. That's BS.

I was able to listen on my ipod, it should appear in the books section of your itunes. You can just drag file into your iTunes from your desktop as well. Also I was able to cancel my trial from the website without an issue. I am not sure why you had these issues.

#57 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

This article was painful to read. Pulling together bits and pieces that make sense on their own and combining them with comments that clearly show you have no idea what you're talking about does not make you a journalist. It makes you a guy who suckered 1up into paying you for an incoherent and pointless article.

Since you're obviously an expert in both economic theory and journalism, please give some specific examples to back up your claims.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#58 Guest_VonWolfman_*

Guest_VonWolfman_*

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Your discussion on Buddhism infuriated me to the point I actually had to switch the show of. I've been studying eastern religion and practising Zen Buddhism for about ten years and not only has it changed my life, it's transformed me into a better person. It gave me a better perception on life and the people around me. After my two year retreat in Sōtō I returned to the UK a new person. If you're going to ridicule something, do it with reason not just because it's different and foreign to you.

Wow, dude relax, meditate or something. I listened, and didn't hear them ridicule anything except themselves. Learn to laugh at things a little more.

It is what it is.

Also on BF3, I play it on PC and haven't had a problem on any server since release. I think all the talk is over blown. Haven't touched the single player, will sometime when i'm completely bored or my internet connection is fried.
Good show guys, keep them coming.

#59 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Wow, dude relax, meditate or something. I listened, and didn't hear them ridicule anything except themselves. Learn to laugh at things a little more.

It is what it is.

Also on BF3, I play it on PC and haven't had a problem on any server since release. I think all the talk is over blown. Haven't touched the single player, will sometime when i'm completely bored or my internet connection is fried.
Good show guys, keep them coming.

I wasn't offended by the discussion, but to play devil's advocate, I could see why Cheapy's comment about Buddhism being a "waste of time" for Tai would make some people uncomfortable. He's made similar comments about Judaism, though, so yeah.

Anyway, I hope next week's CAGcast doesn't upset people. In the words of Cole Phelps, "friends who want to stay friends don't discuss politics or religion."

#60 mrangrypants

mrangrypants

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

I think rather than saying humor is subjective a better analogy of Wombat's jokes are if you throw enough shit at a wall some of of it is going to stick. But I'm with Cheapy, I just ignore Wombat's bad jokes and listen to the ones that stick.

As far as the Wii U bombing, I remember everyone (and by everyone I mean at least me) saying the Wii would fail...
Gordon's alive?!?!?