My Girl - The Temptations
(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay  -  Otis Redding
What's Going On -  Marvin Gaye

#2342 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

Anybody ever try any CastleRock pedals? Zzounds has super chorus effects pedal for 19.99 +2.99 shipping. I was going to buy it but couldn't seem to add it to my cart on my phone. Maybe somebody will have some input by the time I get home to my pc.

#2343 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Anybody ever try any CastleRock pedals? Zzounds has super chorus effects pedal for 19.99 +2.99 shipping. I was going to buy it but couldn't seem to add it to my cart on my phone. Maybe somebody will have some input by the time I get home to my pc.

Never heard of them. Filled out the Chorus pedal on my board with a Boss CH-1 that I got from my BB lady for $28 or so...

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

#2344 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

So those chorus pedals went fast. They were supposed to be on sale for a week and lasted less than a day. Yesterday they said in-stock but every time I'd hit add to cart, it'd take me to a page that said my cart was empty. I thought it was an issue with my phone but they must have just sold out so fast that their site didn't update properly. I'm bummed. But Zzounds seems to have CastleRock pedal in their weekly sales pretty frequently. I know the super chorus has been this price at least once. Next time ill be faster

#2345 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

How much will a better guitar than the Dean XM help me learn? I've been playing for almost half a year quite regularly. I supplement with ideas with music theory std and for guitar, hal leonard book 1, youtube series, bar techniques, etc. I like Rocksmith because its fun to play along with songs. The scale exercises make me a bit mad as the notes aren't shown. The dawn of the chordead is frustrating too as it always starts at the same exact place up on the neck. For some reason I wish it would throw in different starting places.

Rocksmith needs some serious technique supplements. I am finding youtube tutorials on hand positioning and tips on what to do and not do to be helpful. 

The action towards the bottom of my Dean XM seems quite high. I was thinking about adjusting it. Do I really need to be that concerned with what I am practicing with when learning like this?

I was eyeing a Fender Jaguar HH Special. But am torn if I really need to pay 700$-800$ on amazon for a new guitar when I still am really just a newb. I went to the guitar store and held/examined/strummed some chords with a 2000$ Stratocaster and a used Jaguar HH Special. They are nice, but it didn't seem like anything that would help me learn or get better. Amp?

#2346 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

I think you need a teacher of some sort more than anything else.

#2347 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

The XM should be fine for learning. The main reason to get a new guitar is if a. You want to play a specific style of music that is more suited to another style of guitar OR b. you feel like you'd practice more if you had a new toy.

I mean, you should be able to pick up a lot through Rocksmith. You sound like you're supplementing with videos and such. Do you feel like you're missing something specific? A teacher might be able to fill in the gaps a bit.

Remember that learning guitar is a slooooow process. After 6 months, unless you're playing 2-3 hours a day AND have a natural musical ability, you should be pretty happy if you can play a few songs straight through. You should be able to play barre chords, switch cleanly, maybe even have some knowledge of notes on the neck and know some scales (if you're looking at some theory)... It's rare to just play regularly and in 6 months be Eddie Van Halen or something...

If you give me some idea of what you're able to do ad what you think you should be able to do and how much you play, I might be able Togo e you a little more insight. Maybe not, though - just because everyone is different.

Currently Playing:

#2348 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

[quote name="crazedracerguy" post="11036687" timestamp="1378329249"]

The XM should be fine for learning. The main reason to get a new guitar is if a. You want to play a specific style of music that is more suited to another style of guitar OR b. you feel like you'd practice more if you had a new toy.

I mean, you should be able to pick up a lot through Rocksmith. You sound like you're supplementing with videos and such. Do you feel like you're missing something specific? A teacher might be able to fill in the gaps a bit.

/quote]
You can learn everything on any guitar (except tremolo techniques on a guitar without one of course). But I 100% agree with crazedracerguy that a new guitar can be a motivating factor. Both for the novelty of its newness and out of guilt to get your money's worth out of it. Plus the feel of the guitar can impact your desire to play. The more comfortable it is, the more likely you are to pick it up and the longer you're likely to hold it. But as far as just learning, any guitar that's intonated will work.

One thing I did years ago, before Rocksmith even came out, was take an intro to guitar class at the community college. It cost me about $100 for maybe 8-10 classes. It was a small group setting and was a fun experience and a cheap alternative to private lessons. I did not learn guitar from this. I also didn't practice as much as I was supposed to. But what it did was give me a cheap source of instruction and feedback. It was nice to get pointers from an expert on fingering positions, picking technique, small tricks like tuning up to a note rather than down so it stays in tune longer, etc. I took a ton of what I learned but never mastered and used it in conjunction with Rocksmith to really start progressing for the first time in my life. I had always thought there was a lot that Rocksmith was missing. But luckily I had some guidance coming in so I was able to get by. I've always made the statement that Rocksmith's greatest strength is its ability to motivate to play (practice).

I hear Rocksmith 2014 is supposed to improve in many ways, including tutorials and mini games. Lets hope so.

#2349 E-Z-B

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm hoping some retailer steps up with more preorder exclusives other than the Cherub Rock DLC.  However, it's getting late for that now...

Posted Image

#2350 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

I'm hoping some retailer steps up with more preorder exclusives other than the Cherub Rock DLC.  However, it's getting late for that now...

I think Australia gets some Tame Impala song... Looks like Cherub Rock is it for us.

Honestly, the improvements I've seen to the new version, I'm buying it full price, first day, anyway. It looks absolutely AMAZING.

Currently Playing:

#2351 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

I keep hinting around for someone to get (preorder) it for me for my birthday, which is on the 25 of Sept. After that I'll see if I have a decision to make. It's killing me that I don't know if Cherub Rock will be available as a dlc later or not. That will be a big deciding factor for me. Oh why couldn't it have been something else? Or even if it was a Smashing Pumpkins track pack. That would sweeten it enough that I would just go ahead and jump in it without debate

#2352 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I keep hinting around for someone to get (preorder) it for me for my birthday, which is on the 25 of Sept. After that I'll see if I have a decision to make. It's killing me that I don't know if Cherub Rock will be available as a dlc later or not. That will be a big deciding factor for me. Oh why couldn't it have been something else? Or even if it was a Smashing Pumpkins track pack. That would sweeten it enough that I would just go ahead and jump in it without debate

It probably will be available later... but you're already getting 2 Smashing Pumpkins songs if you preorder - The Chimera is already confirmed on disc.

Just for those of you who may not keep up on it closely, here are the confirmed 2014 tracks so far:

• Aerosmith – Walk This Way
  • Alice Cooper – No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • Alice in Chains – Stone
  • Arctic Monkeys – R U Mine?
  • Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country
  • B’z – Ultra Soul
  • Bob Dylan – Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
  • The Dear Hunter – Stuck On a Wire Out On a Fence
  • EarlyRise – Wasteland
  • Fang Island – Chompers
  • Iron Maiden – The Trooper
  • Jack White – Sixteen Saltines
  • The Kinks – You Really Got Me
  • KISS – Rock and Roll All Nite
  • La Sera – Love That’s Gone
  • Magic Wands – Black Magic
  • Mastodon – Blood and Thunder
  • Muse – Knights of Cydonia
  • Nirvana – Heart Shaped Box
  • Oasis – Don’t Look Back in Anger
  • Pantera – Cemetery Gates
  • Paramore – Now
  • PAWS – Sore Tummy
  • R.E.M. – Losing My Religion
  • Radiohead – Paranoid Android
  • Red Fang – Wires
  • Rise Against – Savior
  • The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black
  • Screaming Females – Rotten Apple
  • The Shins – For a Fool
  • Slayer – War Ensemble
  • The Smashing Pumpkins – The Chimera
  • Splashh – All I Wanna Do
  • Tak Matsumoto – Go Further
  • Weezer – Say It Ain’t So
  • White Zombie – Thunder Kiss ’65
  • The Who – My Generation

Currently Playing:

#2353 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

Of those songs, I'd say I'm extremely excited about 5 of them.
Iron Maiden – The Trooper
Jack White – Sixteen Saltines
Mastodon – Blood and Thunder
Pantera – Cemetery Gates
Slayer – War Ensemble
There are other songs I like on the list, but none that get me all that excited. Then there are a few I don't like and quite a few I don't recognize. I'm glad there will be a song import feature and future dlc.

#2354 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm feelin' BASS-y

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

So...are the new dlc drops ps3 only? I'm not seeing the discounts on xbox live.

Sorry for the late response.

They do hit xbox (so far anyway).

The website may not update on time, but I usually see it hit the shop, thru the console, around 11:30pm PST.

Did you try AmericanMusicalSupply or SameDayMusic?  They're sister sites to ZZounds and that's where I first remember seeing that brand.

But never tried'em.  Couldn't ever find info on who made'em or what they were comparable to.  Besides, got more recognizable stuff thru those PM deals to not bother.

How much will a better guitar than the Dean XM help me learn? I've been playing for almost half a year quite regularly. I supplement with ideas with music theory std and for guitar, hal leonard book 1, youtube series, bar techniques, etc. I like Rocksmith because its fun to play along with songs. The scale exercises make me a bit mad as the notes aren't shown. The dawn of the chordead is frustrating too as it always starts at the same exact place up on the neck. For some reason I wish it would throw in different starting places.

Others have more or less touched on it, but a better guitar is more likely going to motivate you since you just spent a whole lot more $$$ and then there's the rush of having a new toy (which reminds me I gotta post a pic of something I got last night ;) ).  But it's not automatically gonna make you better.

If you're happy with the XM, as in the only real complaint is the setup, then spend a bit a money on a professional setup.  Should make it more enjoyable and easier to play..But if you want to experience something different, get a new guitar.

You've been at it long enough that you should have a feel for what you want in a guitar even if you can't quite express it yet. 

Good Luck!

There are other songs I like on the list, but none that get me all that excited. Then there are a few I don't like and quite a few I don't recognize. I'm glad there will be a song import feature and future dlc.

Yeah, It's really huge that all the OG songs and current DLC will be upgraded to work with RS2014 features.

Now if they would just come out and say exactly how the OG on-disc songs will transfer :bomb:

#2355 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

It probably will be available later... but you're already getting 2 Smashing Pumpkins songs if you preorder - The Chimera is already confirmed on disc.

Just for those of you who may not keep up on it closely, here are the confirmed 2014 tracks so far:

• Aerosmith – Walk This Way
  • Alice Cooper – No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • Alice in Chains – Stone
  • Arctic Monkeys – R U Mine?
  • Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country
  • B’z – Ultra Soul
  • Bob Dylan – Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
  • The Dear Hunter – Stuck On a Wire Out On a Fence
  • EarlyRise – Wasteland
  • Fang Island – Chompers
  • Iron Maiden – The Trooper
  • Jack White – Sixteen Saltines
  • The Kinks – You Really Got Me
  • KISS – Rock and Roll All Nite
  • La Sera – Love That’s Gone
  • Magic Wands – Black Magic
  • Mastodon – Blood and Thunder
  • Muse – Knights of Cydonia
  • Nirvana – Heart Shaped Box
  • Oasis – Don’t Look Back in Anger
  • Pantera – Cemetery Gates
  • Paramore – Now
  • PAWS – Sore Tummy
  • R.E.M. – Losing My Religion
  • Radiohead – Paranoid Android
  • Red Fang – Wires
  • Rise Against – Savior
  • The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black
  • Screaming Females – Rotten Apple
  • The Shins – For a Fool
  • Slayer – War Ensemble
  • The Smashing Pumpkins – The Chimera
  • Splashh – All I Wanna Do
  • Tak Matsumoto – Go Further
  • Weezer – Say It Ain’t So
  • White Zombie – Thunder Kiss ’65
  • The Who – My Generation

It's missing the Pixies from last time which is one of my absolute all time favorite bands, but overall this looks like a better lineup compared to the first edition. 

#2356 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm feelin' BASS-y

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

It's missing the Pixies from last time which is one of my absolute all time favorite bands, but overall this looks like a better lineup compared to the first edition. 

Agreed  :D

#2357 mars009

mars009

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Agreed  :D

I second that!

#2358 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm feelin' BASS-y

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

I don't care what people say. But I'm really hoping that Walk this Way come with the Run DMC version.
Either as an unlock or as another track. You know like Single Note, Combo, Rap etc... etc...

#2359 E-Z-B

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

Last call for this week's DLC.
Posted Image

#2360 kitlink

kitlink

I just like dancin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

I love B'z, but ultra soul is kind of a weird choice for this game.

Also, ZOMG SCREAMING FEMALES!!!

#2361 patsrule316

patsrule316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

personally, I am psyched for:

Walk This Way

No More Mr. Nice Guy

The Trooper

Rock and Roll All Nite

Cemetary Gates

Thunder Kiss '65

There are some other good songs in the list, but these are my favorites so far.  Combine all the DLC I've been picking up this summer on sale, and some of the songs from the original game, and I'll have a nice library.

Really hoping some of the individual Rush songs will be on sale this summer.

Definitely looking forward to the new version.

#2362 E-Z-B

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

Surprisingly, the DLC deals still haven't changed yet...

Posted Image

#2363 sladeums

sladeums

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

9/10 $1.99 PS3 DLC
Born on the Bayou by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Drift Away by Dobie Gray
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly
Mississippi Queen by Mountain
Whipping Post by The Allman Brothers Band

The Man Who Sold the World by David Bowie

#2364 angruss

angruss

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

I'm guessing that they wouldn't announce The Pixies until they announced almost everything else, particularly since they already announced Nirvana, and there's a lot of fan overlap between the two. I'm thinking it'll be Indie Cindy, Bagboy, Wave Of Mutilation, or Debaser, depending on if they go the new song promotion or classic hit. Personally, I want There Goes My Gun, but that isn't happening...

#2365 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

personally, I am psyched for:
Walk This Way
No More Mr. Nice Guy
The Trooper
Rock and Roll All Nite
Cemetary Gates
Thunder Kiss '65

There are some other good songs in the list, but these are my favorites so far. Combine all the DLC I've been picking up this summer on sale, and some of the songs from the original game, and I'll have a nice library.

Really hoping some of the individual Rush songs will be on sale this summer.

Definitely looking forward to the new version.

Why wait for individual Rush songs when the whole pack is so amazing?

#2366 Humphert

Humphert

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I just want some Phish tracks!

#2367 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Rocksmith Bass Expansion hass dropped from $30 to $10 on Xbla.  Apparently it dropped on PS3 as well and it's listed as a permanent price drop in the PS3 sales thread.

Posted Image
Waiting for: WRC 2010 and WRC 2 and WRC 3:cry:
Now playing:
:360: Forza Horizon, Halo Series
:wii: Collecting Dust
:ps3: Collecting Dust
:pc: Diablo 3, Walking Dead
When I'm not watching Grimm and Firefly on Hulu.

#2368 E-Z-B

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

9/10 $1.99 PS3 DLC
Born on the Bayou by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Drift Away by Dobie Gray
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly
Mississippi Queen by Mountain
Whipping Post by The Allman Brothers Band

One more: The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie
Posted Image

#2369 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I had wondered why there was no Uplay support in the original Rocksmith, but that's going to change with the 2014 edition. So far they only have one action and one reward, but I'm sure that'll change once the game releases. True performance-Achieve 100% mastery on any song for 30 pts. Single Player Bonus Arangements costs 40 pts and "download a Uplay exclusive Rocksmith 2014 Edition Single Player Bonus Arrangements that you can learn"

#2370 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm feelin' BASS-y

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

I had wondered why there was no Uplay support in the original Rocksmith, but that's going to change with the 2014 edition. So far they only have one action and one reward, but I'm sure that'll change once the game releases. True performance-Achieve 100% mastery on any song for 30 pts. Single Player Bonus Arangements costs 40 pts and "download a Uplay exclusive Rocksmith 2014 Edition Single Player Bonus Arrangements that you can learn"

Damn, forgot that uplay was suppose to be relevant.

Well, points for something I'm gonna buy anyway is fine by me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rocksmith, Rocksmith 2014, Guitar, Bass, real guitar, real bass