Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Rocksmith 2014 Deals ** New DLC Day! - BachSmith - 5 songs for 5 bucks, what are you waiting for **

Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

• Please log in to reply
3633 replies to this topic

#31 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:36 AM

SmileyMcSmiles

You wouldnt know of any good sites to get recomendations on guitars?

I have been wanting to play for years. But i have mild cerebral paulsy so my hands dont listen to well. So i dont want to make a big investment and find out i wont be able to play. So this Game/teaching tool looks perfect for me.

I dont know a single thing about guitars. So would just getting the boxed set be good enough. Should i instead go to a store and get the game and pick up a used guitar at a music store/pawn shop?

Always been a dream of mine to play guitar and just got a new job with way better pay do do this with.

I can give you some pointers, my dad is addicted to guitar and stuff like pedals so I am in the know :lol:.

First off ultimateguitar.com is a very good resource for guitar reviews and such. They have forums I think as well. I do not recommending getting any rocksmith bundles because the guitar they give you will be absolute crap.

Your best bet is first go to a music store. Browse what they have, see prices and try a guitar or two that you like. Feeling is important. I can say oh 10 people love this guitar but you might not like how it feels/plays. You got to find something comfortable for you. Then what I would do is check reviews of the instrument when you find one you like, make sure other people like it for it's quality and stuff (ultimate guitar is good for that). Oh and also tell the people at the music store you have cerebral palsy. They will be able to answer questions about things and they might just tell you right there if you can/can't play guitar without spending a dime.

You might be spending a bit more for the guitar but trust me. If you were to spend $150-200 for a guitar, you would be getting something way better and something that will last a lot longer than that crap that comes with rocksmith.

Think of buying a guitar like buying a car. You have to do research on it to find one you like.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#32 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Sir_Fragalot

Thanks i was thinking seperatly was best. My fingers get confused just playing guitar hero on normal dificulty so i dont know if i would have a chance with the real thing.

But throwing down $200 to try to make a dream come true isnt that much especially since my new job pays twice the money as my old one. Plus getting it used would hopefully mean its already setup right so i wont have to fumble threw it myself.

Almost got powergig a ways back untill i found out it doesnt try to teach you anything. I was so happy when i started seeing good review for this game.

#33 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

hey Smiley, any recommendations on a slightly better guitar? ive never played, been wanting to for a while now. id rather buy something pretty decent that i wont wanna replace in a year if i get good. maybe around $300 range... give or take

Here's 7 pages of various axes in your price range.

http://www.musicians...c&catId=site1AA

Also keep in mind what guitar model you will feel comfortable with. Strat style bodies are typically best suited for beginners for many reasons. One, they are perfectly shaped to play sitting down on your lap that provides the ideal angle of the neck/fretboard for proper hand positioning...providing less hand strain.

Les Paul style bodies are a little heavier than strats (causing some neck strain after prolonged periods of playing while standing using a strap for beginners) and also feel a little less comfortable while playing sitting down...but nothing too bad. You just get used to it after a while. They're heavier due to the style of body and the wood used for both the body and neck (usually mahogany). But you get fuller and fatter tones from these.

IMO...It's best for beginners to use a strat style model. They are comfortable as well as versatile for no matter what genre of music floats your boat. IMO, at this price range, check out Ibanez guitars, especially the RGG321. It has a fixed bridge (no tremolo) but that's a plus, especially for beginners.

Tremolos, especially licensed Floyd Rose variants (non-official Floyd Rose tremolo systems) can be a pain in the ass for newcomers to setup after any string changes. You want to focus on a solid guitar that will stay in tune after initial setup and intonation tweaks. The less technical issues you need to worry about, the better. At least for now.

I also highly recommend ESP's and Deans...

SmileyMcSmiles

You wouldnt know of any good sites to get recomendations on guitars?

I have been wanting to play for years. But i have mild cerebral paulsy so my hands dont listen to well. So i dont want to make a big investment and find out i wont be able to play. So this Game/teaching tool looks perfect for me.

I dont know a single thing about guitars. So would just getting the boxed set be good enough. Should i instead go to a store and get the game and pick up a used guitar at a music store/pawn shop?

Always been a dream of mine to play guitar and just got a new job with way better pay do do this with.

Yo Drastion! Aside from what I mentioned up above to Psychobuck, I'll recap and hopefully add a few helpful points for you particularly. If you are experiencing any joint contractures in your fingers, hands, wrists, and even neck...I highly recommend a strat model. Something light and one with really low action on the fretboard to make fingering as effortless as possible.

If you buy your guitar from a retail shop, they will usually have a guitar tech on hand to setup your new guitar. You can let them know of your situation and see if their tech can lower the action for you as much as possible. Most places do this for free when you buy a new instrument from them. If you buy online, and then bring it in, then you have to pay for the job, but it isn't something too expensive at all.

The lowest action I've seen was 1/16 of an inch on the 22 fret...for all 6 strings! Not fret buzzing at all to boot! lol I think it was a Schecter from a local ma & pa guitar shop (my favorite shops).

As for which brand, again, there are many that are great. But for beginners I suggest to buy from a physical store at first. Try out the guitars. Don't worry about not knowing how to play or anything. It's about comfort. Put it on your lap and strum a simple power chord position using the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings up and down the fretboard. This is all to get a feel for the guitar. It's all about comfort. You will know what I mean when you do this.

If you decide to buy online...at least check out a store in person to do the above to get a feel of what I'm talking about. It's one thing to read someone talking about it, it's another when you actually get hands-on. Trust me on this. Because what feels good for one guitar player, doesn't feel good for another. Everyone has their tastes, even if the differences are small.

I would also stay away from boxed sets. Those are made for parents/soccer moms who want to buy an all-in-one package who don't have the time or will to do some research. They just want something for their kids who seem interested in the guitar...at least for the moment. That, ans the quality for those, for the most part, aren't great. ;)

Used guitars are fine, but until you personally have more experience, or at least have someone you know that does have some experiences with guitar hardware knowledge, I'd stay away from used. It's better to get something new...and there are many good/great guitars for beginners at very reasonable prices. For you, the Dean Vendetta XMT would be perfect, because it's a great guitar for a beginner...it's cheap (on sale for $99 w/ free shipping)...and is known to have low action. I wouldn't worry about an amp for now. See if you can play without pain or discomfort first. Start slow exercises, but don't over do them. Slow and steady is key. If everything goes well...then invest in a simple practice amp later.

Here's the link for the Dean Vendetta: http://www.musicians...ar-with-tremolo

Or even a Squire Bullet Series Strat: http://www.musicians...at-with-tremolo

The Squire is a side brand of Fender. It's not their best product, but good. Another solid entry-level guitar for a great price. It's currently at $119...but they usually can be bought for $99 or even less during Holiday sales, etc.

Let me know if you guys need more help are more specific questions answered. I'll be glad to help further.

Edited by SmileyMcSmiles, 07 November 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#34 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

As for guitar review sites, they can easily be googled by searching for "guitar reviews". ;)

As mentioned above, ultimate-guitar.com is one...there's also...

http://www.guitarworld.com/?page=

and...

http://www.premierguitar.com/

But for more in-depth specifics about particular guitars, it's always best to go to the official forums. ESP for example...

http://bbs.espguitars.com/index.php

Ibanez forums...

http://forum.ibanez.com/

...and Dean.

http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/

#35 psychobuck

psychobuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

Hey Smiley, thanks for all the info. Very much appreciated! I'll let you know if and when I make a decision!

#36 teknomedic

teknomedic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

Great info in this thread, thanks to everyone. I wasn't looking too much at this game, but I am now... also gonna have to find myself a good guitar.

#37 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

I think I might just get that $99 one Smiley linked.

+ $60 for the game ($20 coupon in @gamer) and I should be about the same.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#38 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

I think I might just get that $99 one Smiley linked.

+ $60 for the game ($20 coupon in @gamer) and I should be about the same.

Solid choice my man! :D

Here's ultimate-guitar.com's review of the Dean Vendetta XMT for those looking and pondering...

http://www.ultimate-..._xmt/index.html

EDIT: Helping you guys out now has me very curious about the Dean Vendetta XMT...I'm about to convince myself to add to my collection in the Satin Natural finish with black hardware. :lol:

#39 poker360

poker360

The AWD Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

Solid choice my man! :D

Here's ultimate-guitar.com's review of the Dean Vendetta XMT for those looking and pondering...

http://www.ultimate-..._xmt/index.html

EDIT: Helping you guys out now has me very curious about the Dean Vendetta XMT...I'm about to convince myself to add to my collection in the Satin Natural finish with black hardware. :lol:

Is the one that is included in the $200 bundle (les paul) really not that good?

splintercelll.jpg
Check out the Amazon Warehouse Deals Thread!
fss.png

#40 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

whats the difference between the XM and the XMT? (besides $20)

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#41 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Is the one that is included in the $200 bundle (les paul) really not that good?

It's a decent/OK guitar, but one could definitely do a lot better with a bit more leg-work. Out of the box, I can can with relative confidence that one will need to have good amount of setup work done to it. There will be fret buzzing and as a result the neck will have to be adjusted, bridge lowered, properly intonated, etc.

But at the same time, this can happen to any guitar out of the box. But this guitar is pretty bare-bones. It only has one pup, a bridge humbucker....which means, through an amp, your tonal ranges will be limited. It's not bad per say...just limited. It's fine as part of this bundle with the game.

But as I pointed out...if you are looking for a guitar with a bit more features, better quality, durability, and longer term usage, it's better to get that Dean Vendetta XMT for $99...and the standalone game for $60 after BB @gamer coupon.

#42 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

Smiley - is this the same thing: http://www.amazon.co...dp/B0025VLQVO/r

Tremelo is the T? (No idea what a tremelo is except.. Wide Swing Tremeloooooooooo)

Ees7Y.jpg

#43 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

whats the difference between the XM and the XMT? (besides $20)

No differences other than the bridge styles.

The XMT (T is for tremolo) has a vibrato standard/vintage tremolo bridge with tremolo arm.

The XM was their original Vedetta model with a fixed tune-o-matic bridge and string-thru body design. This bridge model will stay in tune much more efficiently than a tremolo model. But you lose the tremolo vibrato arm functionality for dive bombs....

What are dive bombs? Let the master of the "Dime Bomb", Dimebag Darrell show you. *RIP DIME*

#44 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

Smiley - is this the same thing: http://www.amazon.co...dp/B0025VLQVO/r

Tremelo is the T? (No idea what a tremelo is except.. Wide Swing Tremeloooooooooo)

Aside from their funny labeling of the model...yes...it appears to be the same XMT model. Good find! Now I[m really tempted to get this as Amazon also has it for $99 w/ free shipping. And I have Amazon credit which would render this thing almost free for me! lol :D

Only thing is that the color is limited to trans black, no satin natural finish option. Oh well...can never go wrong with translucent black with black hardware. It's a nice finish.

#45 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

Aside from their funny labeling of the model...yes...it appears to be the same XMT model. Good find! Now I[m really tempted to get this as Amazon also has it for $99 w/ free shipping. And I have Amazon credit which would render this thing almost free for me! lol :D

Only thing is that the color is limited to trans black, no satin natural finish option. Oh well...can never go wrong with translucent black with black hardware. It's a nice finish.

yeah, i figured amazon credit is easier to spend than cash.

Ees7Y.jpg

#46 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hey Smiley, thanks for all the info.

+1

Appreciate that you mentioned the xmt. It helps all us noobs. At the very least it provides an alternative way to get into Rocksmith without doing the giftcard promo. If I'm not mistaken, BESTBUY has the same model for 99 online. Try comparing the two instore

http://www.bestbuy.c...1342124&st=dean guitar&cp=1&lp=9

For me though, I'll probably stick with the purchase I already made for two main reasons. Aside from appearance, i doubt I could tell the difference between the two and I just want to start playing. Never did get a chance to play it today. And if I ever get to the point that I CAN tell the difference, then I'll consider that a good thing and a good excuse to upgrade;)

Edited by rbarba4, 07 November 2011 - 10:50 AM.
typo

#47 poker360

poker360

The AWD Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Do i need to buy a strap and guitar pick separate? (Sorry if incorrect terminology, i know nothing about guitars)

If so, could you possibly link me with a good (and cheap) choices that would go with that dean vendetta from amazon.

splintercelll.jpg
fss.png

#48 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Do i need to buy a strap and guitar pick separate? (Sorry if incorrect terminology, i know nothing about guitars)

If so, could you possibly link me with a good (and cheap) choices that would go with that dean vendetta from amazon.

Here you go...

For a strap, this Jim Dunlop is a great buy. It's inexpensive, and is strong and durable.

http://www.amazon.co...20679330&sr=8-1

For picks, here's the link for all sold on Amazon. There's no right or wrong as it's all personal preferences. As for sizes/thickness...I'd suggest medium. Thin picks might be too floppy for you and heavy might not have enough give. At least to start out...just go with mediums.

http://www.amazon.co...r picks&x=0&y=0

I've personally been using Clayton Acetal picks for over 15 years exclusively. I love the texture and they last. Not to mention the texture of these picks provide a non-slip surface so you don't fumble the damn pick in the middle of a riff. ;)

http://www.amazon.co...:clayton acetal

Then come strings. Have at least 1 -2 extra packs. Why? Because strings tend to break, usually at the most inopportune time, and for no apparent reason. Again, I've been using GHS Boomers 10, 11, and 12 gauges for over 15 years. They have a great tone and they are durable as hell...tough as nails. I usually break the strings on other peoples guitars...why? Maybe because they aren't using Boomers. ;)

But seriously...stick with 9 gauge string sets. They'll go easier on your fingers until you build up your callouses. After the hazing period, if 9's feel too loose and not manly enough and you're ready to shed some blood, go ahead and bump up to 10's. And for some serious lacerations...11's and 12's.

WARNING: All new guitars come pre-setup for 9 gauge strings. This means the truss rod in the neck, the bridge, saddles, and bridge springs (only for guitars with a tremolo bridge) are all setup and tweaked for 9 gauge string tension. You'd be OK putting on 10's...but anything higher will produce enough tension to warp the neck of your instrument. Do be stupid like I was 22 years ago and find out the hard way.

Here are some from Ernie Ball:

http://www.amazon.co...20680157&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co...20680187&sr=1-3

...and my beloved GHS Boomers in 9's.

http://www.amazon.co...0680203&sr=1-18

...and 10's.

http://www.amazon.co...20680203&sr=1-3

I think that should cover it.

Oh yeah, gig bag...you need to protect your guitar like a man protects his manhood.

http://www.amazon.co...gig bag&x=0&y=0

Let me know if anyone needs more advice/help.

#49 poker360

poker360

The AWD Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

Here you go...

For a strap, this Jim Dunlop is a great buy. It's inexpensive, and is strong and durable.

http://www.amazon.co...20679330&sr=8-1

For picks, here's the link for all sold on Amazon. There's no right or wrong as it's all personal preferences. As for sizes/thickness...I'd suggest medium. Thin picks might be too floppy for you and heavy might not have enough give. At least to start out...just go with mediums.

http://www.amazon.co...r picks&x=0&y=0

I've personally been using Clayton Acetal picks for over 15 years exclusively. I love the texture and they last. Not to mention the texture of these picks provide a non-slip surface so you don't fumble the damn pick in the middle of a riff. ;)

http://www.amazon.co...:clayton acetal

Then come strings. Have at least 1 -2 extra packs. Why? Because strings tend to break, usually at the most inopportune time, and for no apparent reason. Again, I've been using GHS Boomers 10, 11, and 12 gauges for over 15 years. They have a great tone and they are durable as hell...tough as nails. I usually break the strings on other peoples guitars...why? Maybe because they aren't using Boomers. ;)

But seriously...stick with 9 gauge string sets. They'll go easier on your fingers until you build up your callouses. After the hazing period, if 9's feel too loose and not manly enough and you're ready to shed some blood, go ahead and bump up to 10's. And for some serious lacerations...11's and 12's.

WARNING: All new guitars come pre-setup for 9 gauge strings. This means the truss rod in the neck, the bridge, saddles, and bridge springs (only for guitars with a tremolo bridge) are all setup and tweaked for 9 gauge string tension. You'd be OK putting on 10's...but anything higher will produce enough tension to warp the neck of your instrument. Do be stupid like I was 22 years ago and find out the hard way.

Here are some from Ernie Ball:

http://www.amazon.co...20680157&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co...20680187&sr=1-3

...and my beloved GHS Boomers in 9's.

http://www.amazon.co...0680203&sr=1-18

...and 10's.

http://www.amazon.co...20680203&sr=1-3

I think that should cover it.

Oh yeah, gig bag...you need to protect your guitar like a man protects his manhood.

http://www.amazon.co...gig bag&x=0&y=0

Let me know if anyone needs more advice/help.

Thanks for the help.

Also, just to save money..(cheapassgamer..) could I use the strap from my guitar hero guitar? It looked really similar to the one you linked

splintercelll.jpg
fss.png

#50 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the help.

Also, just to save money..(cheapassgamer..) could I use the strap from my guitar hero guitar? It looked really similar to the one you linked

Only if you want a reason to buy a new guitar. Seriously. One guy on the RS FB page already had his strap come off and cracked the neck of his guitar. There ain't no fixin' that - at least not for a starter guitar.

Also, for the small cost, strap locks are your friend. They're cheap and will probably save your axe at some point.

Also, if you find you really like RS, Aurora strings has a set of strings now that are the same colors as the RS strings in the game. They're 18 bucks a set, but they should last a good while. Auroras are good strings.

As for picks, I use Dunlop Tortex picks in .96mm or .73mm. That's a good thickness for playing electric. Guys that shred like Dimebag use some heavy picks. They have never felt comfortable to me. A pack of a dozen run about 2 bucks.

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014

:xb1:

Titanfall, Forza 5

#51 SkylineChili4Me

SkylineChili4Me

CAG with Cheese, Please!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

I'd love to take advantage of this but I'm guessing that the "no substitutions" rule applies to a left-handed model, right? Same reason I've never picked up the guitar in the first place. Grr...

#52 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'd love to take advantage of this but I'm guessing that the "no substitutions" rule applies to a left-handed model, right? Same reason I've never picked up the guitar in the first place. Grr...

Don't know. Didn't think to ask about switching to a lefty model. I had asked about choosing an upgraded model. Try calling BB and ask.

But as an alternative, think about the XMT model. May require a bit more legwork but maybe you can get a left-handed model that way.

And to torpedo my own deal, I did a quick look on Guiter Center's site. Found the XMT on sale for the same 99.99 and they have a $20 off coupon(listed on front page of site) "JUMPSTART". But the coupon code expires today, so act fast for that offer. You could end up getting that guitar for $80 then go to BB for the game and use an @gamer coupon to get it for $60

Guitar center link for the XMT
http://www.guitarcen...051-i1452652.gc

#53 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Don't know. Didn't think to ask about switching to a lefty model. I had asked about choosing an upgraded model. Try calling BB and ask.

But as an alternative, think about the XMT model. May require a bit more legwork but maybe you can get a left-handed model that way.

And to torpedo my own deal, I did a quick look on Guiter Center's site. Found the XMT on sale for the same 99.99 and they have a $20 off coupon(listed on front page of site) "JUMPSTART". But the coupon code expires today, so act fast for that offer. You could end up getting that guitar for $80 then go to BB for the game and use an @gamer coupon to get it for $60

Guitar center link for the XMT
http://www.guitarcen...051-i1452652.gc

ORLY? Nice. I might have to jump on it today then. I have Amazon credit but $80 cash is better than $100 credit. My only hesitation is I gotta move soon and I don't want to lug this.

edit: shipping is $10 whether you ship to store or to your address. weird.

Ees7Y.jpg

#54 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

ORLY? Nice. I might have to jump on it today then. I have Amazon credit but $80 cash is better than $100 credit. My only hesitation is I gotta move soon and I don't want to lug this.

edit: shipping is $10 whether you ship to store or to your address. weird.

Free shipping though for orders over 99 so add some accessories. Coupon's also good instore so you could just make a trip if you were gonna do ship to store anyway

#55 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the help.

Yeah...you don't want to do that man. The strap for GH guitars are meant for that and only that due to being small and made out of lightweight plastic. The strap ends of that strap are extremely cheap and will not hold the weight of any real guitar...not for long at least. The strap buttons and weight of a real guitar will stretch out the slots and your new guitar will be on the floor with a chipped/cracked body....or worse...a cracked neck/headstock.

Stick with the Dunlop strap. It my appear the same to you, but when you have it in your hands you will not only see, but feel the differences.

And as crazedracgerguy mentioned, strap locks are the best way to prevent accidental drops. I use the Dunlop dual design...

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0002CZW3G

I don't think you'll need them for now, but if you end up sticking with the guitar long-term and begin investing in more expensive high-end guitars in the future...they will become essential.

#56 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:39 AM

Free shipping though for orders over 99 so add some accessories. Coupon's also good instore so you could just make a trip if you were gonna do ship to store anyway

added a $15 strap and $6 of picks. thanks for the tip. The guitar isn't available in store so I just ordered it. Came out to about $107 after taxes.

@smiley - thanks for the tip on the Dean Vendetta. i better be playing like Jeff Beck within a year or I'm blaming you. :D

Ees7Y.jpg

#57 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

added a $15 strap and $6 of picks. thanks for the tip. The guitar isn't available in store so I just ordered it. Came out to about $107 after taxes.

@smiley - thanks for the tip on the Dean Vendetta. i better be playing like Jeff Beck within a year or I'm blaming you. :D

I just had a vision of you a year from now playing Nadia, putting some use to tremolo techniques! And this is what you'll sound like....

:D \m/

And if you aren't already, then your future also consists of mutating into a slim white dude with poor taste in curtains. :lol:

#58 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Went to 2 different Best Buys today and neither had the Guitar in stock nor a bundle with it, aside from the normal Rocksmith bundles. Both stores barely even carried guitars. I think I saw 3 at one, and couldnt see any at the other smaller store. Ended up just buying the game without guitar and used the $20 Gamer coupon. Ill look around for a cheap and decent guitar

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#59 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hey Smiley, I know you mentioned setup is pretty important with these guitars and was wondering if you knew whether Bestbuy or Guitar Center would do the setup free of charge with the new purchase.

Good to hear it worked out. The deal has me thinking of jumping in as well. Even did some test orders and could get the XMT, strap, strings & picks for a total of $110 after tax and free shipping.

Co-op mode alone is tempting me to pull the trigger, well that and a bunch of friends and family that want in as well.:lol: Motivation is always better when there's someone else there to push you.

Went to 2 different Best Buys today and neither had the Guitar in stock nor a bundle with it, aside from the normal Rocksmith bundles. Both stores barely even carried guitars. I think I saw 3 at one, and couldnt see any at the other smaller store. Ended up just buying the game without guitar and used the $20 Gamer coupon. Ill look around for a cheap and decent guitar

Did you ask someone in the music dept? Because the store I hit up didn't have a display model of the guitar. They didn't even have copies of the game out on the floor. The clerk brought the guitar out from the back and opened upthe box to show it to me. He then had to go look for the game in another backroom

Another PSA: need an alternative place to get Rocksmith game cheap, then look up the Toys R Us thread about the $20 giftcard with any game purchase of $59.99+

#60 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hey Smiley, I know you mentioned setup is pretty important with these guitars and was wondering if you knew whether Bestbuy or Guitar Center would do the setup free of charge with the new purchase.

I couldn't possibly imagine Best Buy having guitar techs on hand, so I'm going to confidently say no.

Guitar Center yes, but I'm not sure if all advertise it. Just ask the salesperson that will tend to you. Also, if you buy the stuff at the shop, you will be surprised at what you can sometimes get for free by just saying this...

"So...if I buy this guitar right now, is there something you could possibly do to sweeten the deal for a beginner?"

Those magic words can usually score you a few free things...like strings, picks, and even a strap. It's worked for me over the years and I should know...since 19, I was employed at almost every local guitar/music store in my area. I learned a lot (not just about guitar hardware/etc.)...but especially what we, as retailers, could give customers off the top (up to instant 10% off price and/or include free perks like a grab bag of free strings, picks, other accessories) if they only asked. It was a little secret amongst those in the know.

Then again, it's been a few years since then, and with the economy the way it is now, I can't guarantee any free extra perks.

But you should be good with at least a free setup at minimum to make sure the neck is straight and the guitar is intonated properly with little to no fret buzzing. Don't forget...just ask!