Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Rocksmith 2014 Deals ** New DLC Day! - various Yacht Rock (like the Pina Colada song) **

Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

• Please log in to reply
3591 replies to this topic

#1921 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

I want one of these Posted Image

:)

Yes please. Where did you see this?

#1922 beebs

beebs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yes please. Where did you see this?

it's just a custom made one off :(

http://supermeatboy....hp?topic=1749.0

#1923 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Apparently the Guitar+Bass version of the game is $29.99 in next week's Best Buy ad. Damn good price, especially since the bass DLC alone is $30 retail value.

#1924 InfiniteElement

InfiniteElement

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Can you trade in the original version @ Best Buy? I know GameStop doesn't take it, but just curious.

#1925 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Well I've stumbled in here due to BB having this on sale for cheap next week. Had a question before buying, though:

My wife bought me a cheap guitar off of Amazon years ago (like $130 and it came with a little amp and whatnot). When I went to go play it, it just never sounded right. Multiple tuners told it was in tune, but everything I played sounded "off". My buddy who is pretty knowledgeable about such things said the action was probably off and he tried to fix it, but he couldn't get anywhere with it. He just chocked it up to being a cheapy. My question is, will the sound still sound off when I play Rocksmith? I get the impression that it just sort of detects the notes that you are playing and outputs its own sound. If that's the case I will totally pick this up. But if it sounds funky, I'd rather not waste the money.

#1926 markere

markere

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Well I've stumbled in here due to BB having this on sale for cheap next week. Had a question before buying, though:

My wife bought me a cheap guitar off of Amazon years ago (like $130 and it came with a little amp and whatnot). When I went to go play it, it just never sounded right. Multiple tuners told it was in tune, but everything I played sounded "off". My buddy who is pretty knowledgeable about such things said the action was probably off and he tried to fix it, but he couldn't get anywhere with it. He just chocked it up to being a cheapy. My question is, will the sound still sound off when I play Rocksmith? I get the impression that it just sort of detects the notes that you are playing and outputs its own sound. If that's the case I will totally pick this up. But if it sounds funky, I'd rather not waste the money.

If your guitar sounds off, it could be the intonation. You may need to adjust the bridge saddles as well. However, if you've tried everything and it still doesn't sound "right", you're not going to enjoy playing Rocksmith. Rocksmith will output whatever your guitar "sounds like". So if a particular note on your guitar is too flat, Rocksmith will output it's own "sound" but the sound will also be flat and it will record it as incorrect hit. So unless you don't care about scores, etc. It's not going to be fun. You'll have a ton of missed notes and it won't be an enjoyable experience. If your guitar sounds good in real life, your Rocksmith experience will be much better.

#1927 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

The game outputs the sound of your guitar with the appropriate effect pedals for whichever song you're playing. So it should sound fine, unless the guitar is just giving off a bunch of screeches.

But, curious if you happen to have switched out the strings on the guitar. Even cheapy guitars will sound ok with a fresh set of strings. That is, if there's nothing messed up with the electronics of the guitar;).

Other thing that could be wrong is the Intonation. It'll sound wrong when playing fretted notes, even if it's in tune when playing open strings. Pretty straight-forward adjustment to make and plenty of vids you could google.

#1928 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

mpaullin

That might be a problem. The game tries to match the sound your guitar makes to a library of sound files to get an idea of what you are playing.

Not sure what you mean by funky. Intonation is off? If you check it with a tuner at with an open string and again at the 12th fret on the same string the notes need to match. That might be your problem but a tech would have picked up on that right away.

If you don't have a tuner here is a perfect one for the price you can't beat it.

www.amazon.com/Snark-13-JQCT-G3R2-SN-1-Tuner/dp/B003VWJ2K8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359662269&sr=8-1&keywords=snark+tuner

For a little more this one comes with a mic for tuning

www.amazon.com/Snark-Instrument-Clip-On-Chromatic-Tuner/dp/B003VWKPHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359662269&sr=8-2&keywords=snark+tuner

Both are great and have built in metronomes. Although its a flashing heart symbol so it doesn't make a sound to go by ear.

#1929 Roukiske

Roukiske

For Great Justice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hey CAG's, im pretty excited about getting this, but I'm wondering If I buy a PC version of the game that was before the bass expansion do I still get the bass expansion?

#1930 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hey CAG's, im pretty excited about getting this, but I'm wondering If I buy a PC version of the game that was before the bass expansion do I still get the bass expansion?

PC version was released with the bass expansion. So you'll be good

The old version (guitar only) was originally a 360/ps3 joint. But you can still buy the bass expansion as DLC this version

#1931 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. I will try those suggestions and see what I can't figure out. My buddy just plays guitar a lot, so I wouldn't call him a tech. I'm sure if I was at all knowledgeable about music I could describe what was "off" about the sound. Nothing electrical or anything like that... just like the notes aren't correct... so yeah, it might be intonation. Never tried using the tuner on anything but open notes, though (I have an electric one that I find to be pretty intuitive, so I should be good to go there).

This seems to be the best price I am likely to find this game for, so I will probably just go for it. I also have an acoustic that works wonderfully. If worse comes to worse I could get a pickup for it, but I'd prefer to save the extra $40 or whatever.

#1932 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

mpaullin

Sorry got you post mixed up with another one i was reading. Its probably your intonation then. If its off your fretted notes all the way across that string will sound out sharp or flat. So it would sound what I would call off. That shouldn't be a problem for a cheapie guitar. The main things you would have problems outside of bad solder joints would be poorly dressed frets and loose tuners. So if your not getting a bunch of fret buzz with a reasonable amount of relief in the neck and she stays in tune well you should be good to go.

To setup you intonation

1 pluck you open e and tune it to perfect pitch
2 pluck again at the 12 fret
3a if it comes out sharp move your bridge saddle away from the neck and go back to step one
3b if it comes out flat move the saddle towards the neck and go back to step one

If your intonation is off enough to pick it up by ear the game will probally not pick up you notes very well. I have this problem with songs played in drop d. The game says I am in tune. Once the song starts I have to drop the tuning down and restart the song a few times to make sure it is right. To much of a hassle for me so I mostly ignore those songs.

Edited by drastion, 01 February 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#1933 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

mpaullin

Sorry got you post mixed up with another one i was reading. Its probably your intonation then. If its off your fretted notes all the way across that string will sound out sharp or flat. So it would sound what I would call off. That shouldn't be a problem for a cheapie guitar. The main things you would have problems outside of bad solder joints would be poorly dressed frets and loose tuners. So if your not getting a bunch of fret buzz with a reasonable amount of relief in the neck and she stays in tune well you should be good to go.

To setup you intonation

3a if it comes out sharp move your bridge saddle away from the neck and go back to step one
3b if it comes out flat move the saddle towards the neck and go back to step one

If your intonation is off enough to pick it up by ear the game will probally not pick up you notes very well. I have this problem with songs played in drop d. The game says I am in tune. Once the song starts I have to drop the tuning down and restart the song a few times to make sure it is right. To much of a hassle for me so I mostly ignore those songs.

Thanks again for the tips. First and foremost I ordered myself a new set of strings since they haven't been changed in years. Will go from there. Gonna pick up the game either way, though. Too good a deal to pass up.

#1934 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Here is my newest addition

Posted Image

Love the 25" scale. Got smaller hands so it is not such a stretch on the lower frets. Hopefully some 10s on there will give me some string tension back. Split coil on it is nice. Not a strat but got to save something to pick up this christmass. Doubt I will get a ps4 so hopefully rocksmith 2 will get announced soon.

#1935 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

mpaullin

To setup you intonation

Okay, here's an update on my progress. I put new strings on my guitar, got it tuned, and bought the game. I played for a few hours yesterday and everything seems to be okay except for my E string. When I play, the game says the string is in tune and recognizes open notes. When I go to play a fretted note, however, it tells me that I am not playing the right one. I've been mostly testing "Go with the Flow". It tells me to play the fifth fret, I do, but it says I am playing the sixth. If I play the fourth, it is recognized as the fifth and accepts it.

Based on the feedback on here, it looks like my intonation is off on that string, right? Specifically, my notes are sharp, so I should be moving the bridge saddle away from the neck, right? Well I went through several iterations of moving it a little bit, retuning, and still getting the same problem. Finally, I tightened it to the point where it doesn't look like it will go anymore. But I'm still having the same problem (fifth fret recognized as sixth). Anyone have any tips for me fixing this? Thanks in advance!

#1936 Keegs

Keegs

Owl + Bungee Cord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

It might be worth it to take it to shop to get set up at this point. It usually costs around $20.

#1937 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B008SC53ZE
Reads like a 20 pack of patch cables to me for 15 bucks

#1938 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B008SC53ZE
Reads like a 20 pack of patch cables to me for 15 bucks

They're a fairly newer seller, only active a few months. I'd be very surprised if it was a 20/pack for $14.99, when other sellers have them listed for $10/ea in a different product listing:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=099-0820-044

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1939 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Well... One RB Squier gone, 1 to go. Why is it SO hard for me to actually get motivated to get rid of this last one? I so want to get the MIDI adapter and try out Pro Mode... Especially since I know this is the last RB Squier in 3 states :) Maybe. I really am trying to keep it sealed until Bandfuse comes out, just to see if I like it (and the promised DLC) better than Rocksmith or what's available in Rock band. It helps that my Fender buying frenzy seems to be over due to lack of available options ;)

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

#1940 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Also... New DLC today!

Fall Out Boy Pack - 960 MSP / $11.99

Currently Playing:

#1941 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ibanez 25th Anniversary Flourescent guitar in Yellow:

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=rg2xxv

You could match it at M123 for ~$250... Or get it from MF and get a $100 GC and the same price...

Currently Playing:

#1942 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Patch cable order was cancelled as price mistake, oh well

#1943 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Okay, here's an update on my progress. I put new strings on my guitar, got it tuned, and bought the game. I played for a few hours yesterday and everything seems to be okay except for my E string. When I play, the game says the string is in tune and recognizes open notes. When I go to play a fretted note, however, it tells me that I am not playing the right one. I've been mostly testing "Go with the Flow". It tells me to play the fifth fret, I do, but it says I am playing the sixth. If I play the fourth, it is recognized as the fifth and accepts it.

Based on the feedback on here, it looks like my intonation is off on that string, right? Specifically, my notes are sharp, so I should be moving the bridge saddle away from the neck, right? Well I went through several iterations of moving it a little bit, retuning, and still getting the same problem. Finally, I tightened it to the point where it doesn't look like it will go anymore. But I'm still having the same problem (fifth fret recognized as sixth). Anyone have any tips for me fixing this? Thanks in advance!

Gonna bump this in hope of tips. I'm a little too cheap/lazy to take my guitar to a music shop without trying all other options first.

#1944 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Gonna bump this in hope of tips. I'm a little too cheap/lazy to take my guitar to a music shop without trying all other options first.

Which "E" string we talkin' about. The High or Low e; aka the fatboy or the slimjim. The fatty may need to get stretched out a bit to stabilize tuning. It'll happen naturally over time but you can speed up the process. Grab it between your thumb and index fingers and tug on it some while you go up the full length of the string. No need to go he-man on it; just enough to give it more tension than normal

And since I don't remember, is "Go with the Flow" tuned down to drop "D"? If it is, then you might be fretting too hard, making the note go sharp. Pretty common error to make on the drop D songs.
I'd skip all the drop D songs if only I could bother to remember all of them. They just bug me more than the standard stuff. And, for whatever reason, the dropped tuning stuff on bass is more of P.I.T.A. (to me anyway)

#1945 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Also... New DLC today!

Fall Out Boy Pack - 960 MSP / $11.99

Time to track down one of those special FB bass guitars from bestbuy;)

#1946 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I still think your intonation is off. The problem now is that the adjustments for intonation should be small - like 1 turn of the screw... With you tightening it all the way, you may be so far off now that it'll be hard to get it back right on your own. You can probably do it, you just have to go back to the middle, probably, and then adjust slowly.

Like rbarb said, though, there is a chance that you're just fretting too hard.

Currently Playing:

#1947 blucadet3

blucadet3

You know who has a good title...MY MOM!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

I had a similar problem with notes not registering right in drop tuning and it was because I was pressing too hard. Happened a lot on the top fret in the MUSE song.

#1948 unopepito06

unopepito06

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

Yeah, you can sharp and note by a fret in drop d easily. Make sure if you're changing your saddle for intonation that the string is tuned to its proper note (E for the largest string) and when adjusting, don't check at the fifth fret, you gotta check at the 12th. So you play an open E, then you play the octave at the 12th feet. If that E is sharp or flat, then you do your adjustment. The 5th fret will not give you as accurate as reading. Also, just to be sure that you're adjusting the right part of the saddle. If goes up and down for Action and forward and back for Intonation. You probably got it, but sometimes these things can be miscommunicated.

So yeah, tune to perfect E, check at 12th fret.

Apparently your comment was so full of rage and anger that you immediately fell asleep. That's a new level of rage.

#1949 E-Z-B

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

Any recommendations for a good rock band / guitar hero guitar with the buttons for the Wii? Seem hard to find now.

Edited by E-Z-B, 07 February 2013 - 03:35 AM.

Posted Image

#1950 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Funny I am having the same exact problem as you are with my new guitar. Just hope yours is caused by something other than what my guitars problem is.

If you have it pulled back that far I doubt its your intonation. If I had the guitar in my hands I could get it figured out. Just more info would help on what type of bridge you have.

I will give a bit of a write up on what you can do when I get off of work. Hopefully I will be able to help you out. Its just simply better to be able to do it yourself. You never know how good of a job a place will do setting up your guitars anyways.