Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Rocksmith 2014 Deals ** New DLC Day! - various Yacht Rock (like the Pina Colada song) **

Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

• Please log in to reply
3596 replies to this topic

#1951 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

If your guitar has a floating bridge make sure the knife edge/body is level with the top of the guitar. If its not all your strings will intonate sharp on the 12th fret. Just open the back plate and tighten down the claw screws a bit to counter the pull of the strings. Use small changes and retune to ballance the stronger spring pull.

Check you neck arch. Fret the first and last fret. There should be about enough to get a 10 guage string under the low e. To straighten the neck tighten the truss rod. Only use small movements and retune each time. Doesn't need to be perfectly in tune. Just to balance the string tension to the new neck position. This will give you a little more length to your strings. Also lowers the action so you will stretch the string a bit less when fretting.

Now if when you intonated you lost the / / pattern on the wrapped and unwrapped strings. Like how your saddles on the low e should be farther from the neck than you d. Same for g being farther from the neck than your high e. They should have a steady even pattern. Assuming you are using standard tuning that rocksmith uses.

#1952 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Wow, lots of feedback. Thanks guys.. let me elaborate:

Which "E" string we talkin' about. The High or Low e; aka the fatboy or the slimjim. The fatty may need to get stretched out a bit to stabilize tuning. It'll happen naturally over time but you can speed up the process. Grab it between your thumb and index fingers and tug on it some while you go up the full length of the string. No need to go he-man on it; just enough to give it more tension than normal

And since I don't remember, is "Go with the Flow" tuned down to drop "D"? If it is, then you might be fretting too hard, making the note go sharp. Pretty common error to make on the drop D songs.
I'd skip all the drop D songs if only I could bother to remember all of them. They just bug me more than the standard stuff. And, for whatever reason, the dropped tuning stuff on bass is more of P.I.T.A. (to me anyway)

I am talking about the "fat" E string (top). The string is new, so perhaps it does need to be pulled on a bit. Will give it a try. "Go with the Flow" is not tuned to drop D (it at least never prompted me to re-tune and it recognizes open E with no problems).

I still think your intonation is off. The problem now is that the adjustments for intonation should be small - like 1 turn of the screw... With you tightening it all the way, you may be so far off now that it'll be hard to get it back right on your own. You can probably do it, you just have to go back to the middle, probably, and then adjust slowly.

Like rbarb said, though, there is a chance that you're just fretting too hard.

Intonation seems like the problem here, but isn't it weird that the no amount of moving the bridge saddle changes the game from recognizing the 5th as the 4th?

Yeah, you can sharp and note by a fret in drop d easily. Make sure if you're changing your saddle for intonation that the string is tuned to its proper note (E for the largest string) and when adjusting, don't check at the fifth fret, you gotta check at the 12th. So you play an open E, then you play the octave at the 12th feet. If that E is sharp or flat, then you do your adjustment. The 5th fret will not give you as accurate as reading. Also, just to be sure that you're adjusting the right part of the saddle. If goes up and down for Action and forward and back for Intonation. You probably got it, but sometimes these things can be miscommunicated.

So yeah, tune to perfect E, check at 12th fret.

I don't have a very good ear for notes, so I was just trying to use the game for everything. So maybe I should check the 12th fret using my tuner.

If your guitar has a floating bridge make sure the knife edge/body is level with the top of the guitar. If its not all your strings will intonate sharp on the 12th fret. Just open the back plate and tighten down the claw screws a bit to counter the pull of the strings. Use small changes and retune to ballance the stronger spring pull.

Check you neck arch. Fret the first and last fret. There should be about enough to get a 10 guage string under the low e. To straighten the neck tighten the truss rod. Only use small movements and retune each time. Doesn't need to be perfectly in tune. Just to balance the string tension to the new neck position. This will give you a little more length to your strings. Also lowers the action so you will stretch the string a bit less when fretting.

Now if when you intonated you lost the / / pattern on the wrapped and unwrapped strings. Like how your saddles on the low e should be farther from the neck than you d. Same for g being farther from the neck than your high e. They should have a steady even pattern. Assuming you are using standard tuning that rocksmith uses.

Thanks for this. I'm at work now, but when I get home I will give it a run through and see what I can't figure out.

#1953 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

DEFINITELY use your tuner. The in game tuner is not anywhere near sensitive enough to pick up intonation.

#1954 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

crazedracerguy is right. Don't ever use the ingame tuner if you have a seperate tuner.

If you don't have a tuner handy. Go into precision tuner. Tune the low e and a ie red and yellow. Then when you are at the d/blue string fret your low e at the 12 and pluck. It should give you +20 or +21.

That should tell you if your low e is intonated properly. Again use a tuner first then the precision ingame to keep her in tune.

#1955 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

crazedracerguy

Forgot to mention this a while ago. You said you didn't play scale runner since you mostly play in the first position. If you go into one of the scales and scroll down. You can play any of the scales from the first position all the way down to the 12th.

#1956 E-Z-B

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Any recommendations for a good rock band / guitar hero guitar with the buttons for the Wii? Seem hard to find now.

Anyone have any thoughts or preferences? Thanks!
Posted Image

#1957 Keegs

Keegs

Owl + Bungee Cord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

crazedracerguy

Forgot to mention this a while ago. You said you didn't play scale runner since you mostly play in the first position. If you go into one of the scales and scroll down. You can play any of the scales from the first position all the way down to the 12th.

Yea you can move it but you can't do open scales like E minor pentatonic. I love scale runner anyways. I wish there was more to it but it makes it less boring to learn for sure.

#1958 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

FYI: today's the last day to get the new version of Rocksmith for $30. Best Buy's sale ends today.

And if you don't mind roses, there's a Perris Leather strap for $5.08 on amazon
http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846
But if you want something more conventional, there's this one for $8.04
http://www.amazon.co...d_sim_sbs_MI_27

#1959 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Anyone have any thoughts or preferences? Thanks!

Just saw the Band Hero thread. Maybe the store will have some Wii versions
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=337919
Not too bad for $30. Otherwise you gotta go aftermarket and don't know how well those hold up.

#1960 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I don't know if it's been mentioned, or if it's just a fluke with my account, but in my Reward Zone "Offers and Promotions" section, there's an offer that states:

"Thank you for your musical instrument purchase of $299 or more. Now save 20% on every accessory purchase for the next 12 months. Offer expires: 8/31/2013"

The thing is, I've never purchased a musical instrument from Best Buy. So, this has to be some sort of fluke. Check your Reward Zone accounts, just in case!

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1961 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

The offer is there in my reward zone as well. However, when you click to claim the offer it still reads like you need to make the instrument purchase
"Accessories markdowns taken from regular prices." Qualifying purchase must be single item or qualifying drum kit in Best Buy Music Gear totaling $299 or over, not including tax. Must be a Reward Zone member prior to time of purchase. Member will receive an email to activate account. Members may also visit MYRZ.com to activate. Twelve-month discount period begins on date of purchase, not activation of offer. Member must identify Reward Zone membership when making accessory purchases throughout the year. All music gear accessories are included (class 289). Offer cannot be used in conjunction with another accessory offer. Valid only at Best Buy® stores in the U.S.A. Not valid at BestBuy.com®, including store pickup. No dealers. No copies. No cash back. No cash value. Reward Zone member card number or claim coupon must be presented at time of purchase, coupon not transferable. Offer valid 9/1/12–8/31/13.

#1962 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Yea you can move it but you can't do open scales like E minor pentatonic. I love scale runner anyways. I wish there was more to it but it makes it less boring to learn for sure.

I agree its fun but limiting at the same time. Just wish I could get the game to display the number above the note in songs like they dovin scale runner. Takes me a bit to recognize what it is when its panning way out getting ready for a long position change. Then I scramble to get in place it gets fristrating. I can see why they didn't though. The screen would be pretty cluttered if they did. If they did it like repeating cords and just labeled the first it would simplify it.

Really curious how bandfuse will handel drills in its game. Tableture would be easier for experiance player. To a fresh beginner I think a bunch of scrolling numbers would be a bit confusing.

#1963 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

I am going to buy a guitar in the next week: i am done researching and waiting. I'm just going to get something, anything, now and do the research later and the playing now. I already own rocksmith on pc.

This one looks pretty good and it has amazon prime: Dean Vendetta XM Solid Body Electric Guitar, Mahogany Finish
http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_MI_0

Does anyone have a better amazon sold preferably quick suggestion?

#1964 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

You can't go wrong with that guitar. Especially if you want something to start out with. Its good that you stayed away from floating bridge guitars. Nothing in rocksmith uses them and they are a pain to setup and cheap ones don't work to well.

If you intend to replace it anyways you can always try used.

used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

Here is a nicely priced package to get the other stuf you will need.

www.amazon.com/GO-DPS-EG-VPK2-Electric-Guitar-Accessory/dp/B009LL312S/ref=sr_1_12?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360488167&sr=1-12

At that price is not the greatest stuff but its name brand. Pluss when you upgrade you can throw all that in to make a quicker sell of your first guitar.

#1965 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Other guitars you might want to look at

Squire Bullet Stratocaster

www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-BulletStrat-Trem-Daphne/dp/B001L8IICM/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360488851&sr=1-2&keywords=squire+bullet+strat

Epiphone PL Special II

www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZUUG/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360489122&sr=1-8&keywords=epiphone

Though I think the dean is the better choice. More of your money goes to what's in the guitar rather thsn the name on the guitar.

#1966 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm rather confused by the first post...
where exactly is the best deal know for the PC/PS3 Rocksmith Guitar + Bass with the Realtone Cable?

(kinda thinking to get a Realtone Cable first.. and wait for Steam to drop the price on the PC)

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#1967 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

You can't go wrong with that guitar. Especially if you want something to start out with. Its good that you stayed away from floating bridge guitars. Nothing in rocksmith uses them and they are a pain to setup and cheap ones don't work to well.

If you intend to replace it anyways you can always try used.

used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

Here is a nicely priced package to get the other stuf you will need.

www.amazon.com/GO-DPS-EG-VPK2-Electric-Guitar-Accessory/dp/B009LL312S/ref=sr_1_12?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360488167&sr=1-12

At that price is not the greatest stuff but its name brand. Pluss when you upgrade you can throw all that in to make a quicker sell of your first guitar.

Other guitars you might want to look at

Squire Bullet Stratocaster

www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-BulletStrat-Trem-Daphne/dp/B001L8IICM/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360488851&sr=1-2&keywords=squire+bullet+strat

Epiphone PL Special II

www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZUUG/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1360489122&sr=1-8&keywords=epiphone

Though I think the dean is the better choice. More of your money goes to what's in the guitar rather thsn the name on the guitar.

Thanks guy. I'm just gonna go with the Dean for now. I have years of newbdom to figure out what to get next. All the reviews here are positive and the amazon ones are pretty dang positive too.

#1968 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm rather confused by the first post...
where exactly is the best deal know for the PC/PS3 Rocksmith Guitar + Bass with the Realtone Cable?

(kinda thinking to get a Realtone Cable first.. and wait for Steam to drop the price on the PC)

That's referring to the game+cable bundle, which is the most common version you can find. PC version is also available as software only, so you'd hafta already have a cable or buy it separately.

Don't think I've ever seen the "cable ONLY" on sale. The cable works across all platforms, so probably easier and cheaper to find the old version for 360/ps3.

Thanks guy. I'm just gonna go with the Dean for now. I have years of newbdom to figure out what to get next. All the reviews here are positive and the amazon ones are pretty dang positive too.

Yeah should be good to go with that model. And as you get into it, you'll start to figure out what you like and don't like about it. Everyone needs a starting point. Congrats.

But gonna mess with ya a little bit;)
Here's an hss strat from Washburn for $110
http://www.worldmusi...allic-Grey.html
And a dual humbucker LP from Washburn for $150
http://www.worldmusi...ric-Guitar.html

#1969 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yeah should be good to go with that model. And as you get into it, you'll start to figure out what you like and don't like about it. Everyone needs a starting point. Congrats.

But gonna mess with ya a little bit;)
Here's an hss strat from Washburn for $110
http://www.worldmusi...allic-Grey.html
And a dual humbucker LP from Washburn for $150
http://www.worldmusi...ric-Guitar.html

I bit the bullet. Amazon and all. Its kinda like anything else. It takes jumping in to figure out how'd you'd do it differently next time. I'm a 100% newb, I've never played guitar in my life even though I like piano and composition alot. Anyways! VERY! excited to try out rocksmith. Thanks everyone for the votes of confidence on the Dean.

#1970 jsivley

jsivley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Don't think I've ever seen the "cable ONLY" on sale. The cable works across all platforms, so probably easier and cheaper to find the old version for 360/ps3.

I've seen the cable only on "sale" before and posted it here a couple of times. But even thought its been on sale, it's never been a very good "deal". I've seen it for $25 & $22 before, but there is generally more value in buying the game + cable bundle

#1971 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Sleeping lights on:
Dean vendetta 1.0 is on sale for 110 at Amazon which is an upgrade over the xm for just a few bucks more, if you can cancel and get that I'd recommend you do.

#1972 deathb10w

deathb10w

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Snagged a Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX with a leather ernie ball strap($45 model) for a total of $119.01 from ebay. Guitar looks to be in perfect condition and is described that way. Should have it tomorrow since it's shipping from 25 minutes away.

#1973 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

sleeping_lights_on

Psybuster has a good point there. Mahogany body and neck will give you warmer tone. Although I am sure you saw it already if you searched dean vendetta on amazon. The 1.0 is by far a better guitar I think the one you picked is a lot nicer looking. You definetly have the right idea though. Doubt anyone gets the perfect guitar for them first time around especially off the net.

http://www.amazon.co...&tag=slickdeals

I got the trem version of that first. It came missing the trem arm. I sent it back and got a schecter instead. Liked it 10x more than the dean when I got it. Now I realize it just came with a better factory setup. Now my schecter doesn't get much play at all.

#1974 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Got the President's Day mailer from GuitarCenter and there are a couple of nice deals. Sale starts 2/14/12
-Ibanez grg120bdx in white or black for $119.99
http://www.guitarcen...022-i2521943.gc
-3 pack of d'addario strings for $6
http://www.guitarcen...108-i1765266.gc
-3 Musicians Gear instrument cables for $19.99
http://www.guitarcen...810-i1563828.gc
-Alesis desktop monitors $49/pair
http://www.guitarcen...431-i2368768.gc
**prices aren't updated online

Oh and there's a little something called
New DLC Day!!!
*London Calling - The Clash
*Should I Stay or Should I go - The Clash
*The Guns of Brixton - The Clash

#1975 beebs

beebs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Oh and there's a little something called
New DLC Day!!!
*London Calling - The Clash
*Should I Stay or Should I go - The Clash
*The Guns of Brixton - The Clash

awww... would have killed for Rudie Can't Fail

#1976 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Fender Kinetic Tuner at Guitar Center for Presidents' Day Weekend... $10 - ~30 most other places:

http://www.guitarcen...465-i1548975.gc

No batteries, just crank it a few times and tune...

Rbarb4, did you ever sell your Squier or was it too hard to let it go??

Looks like next weeks RS DLC will be a mixed pack, probably. First song is Kansas - "Carry On My Wayward Son".

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

#1977 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

The Clash!!!! how much do the DLC packs cost?

#1978 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Gc strings club worked with the three pack, so I got them for a buck plus tax on full six dollar base price.

#1979 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

What is the Gc strings club?

#1980 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Got my Dean Vendetta XM. I love it. Its works. What was a blast was plugging in and tuning and starting to play in a half hour. A total blast.

On the guitar itself. I thought electric guitars didn't make any noise at all, but this one actually has quite a bit of play in the strings even after tuning up quite a bit tighter out of the box. I guess this is something you could probably change with different strings. I have a sinking suspicion the strings are gonna slide out tune. While tuning the pegs felt a tiny bit mushy. Yet. Construction is solid. It doesn't scream 3000$, but it doesn't scream cheap either. Totally functional. The important part is that I've started and its a whole! lot of fun. Really enjoying it. Need to get a pick, but my thumb is working for now. (Told you I was a total newb)

Now if they just made PianoSmith. I don't know why they don't. EVEN! easier as most keyboards have USB/MIDI and its straight up digital. Eh, playing along with adult method piano tunes is enough already to seriously get my rocks off. Achievements for tuning? lol! awesome.

sleeping_lights_on

Psybuster has a good point there. Mahogany body and neck will give you warmer tone. Although I am sure you saw it already if you searched dean vendetta on amazon. The 1.0 is by far a better guitar I think the one you picked is a lot nicer looking. You definetly have the right idea though. Doubt anyone gets the perfect guitar for them first time around especially off the net.

http://www.amazon.co...&tag=slickdeals

I got the trem version of that first. It came missing the trem arm. I sent it back and got a schecter instead. Liked it 10x more than the dean when I got it. Now I realize it just came with a better factory setup. Now my schecter doesn't get much play at all.

If I had bought the best right out of the shoot, what would my 2nd guitar be? ;) Thanks for trying to catch me. Good things to keep in mind for when I get better.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 15 February 2013 - 02:32 AM.