XBLA Sales 2011 - Closed!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4421 replies to this topic

#3931 Newl

Newl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

not everyone has fun playing open world sandbox style games...
it's like if you're playing skyrim and only doing the main quests.
it's what you find in between that makes it so great.

to me rdr was more than a game, it was an experience. better than any gta or faux art game ahem*limbo*ahem. Riding up on a chasm, realizing the sunset on the rio, a man and his horse, yeah, this is the west.

my only complaint is that there was too much talking during the missions, jesus christ this is a western, yappityy yap yap, eastwood would roll his eyes..
pswii60 pwner - aka Too Many Games, Too Little Time
Posted Image

#3932 Daemonocracy

Daemonocracy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

not everyone has fun playing open world sandbox style games...
it's like if you're playing skyrim and only doing the main quests.
it's what you find in between that makes it so great.

to me rdr was more than a game, it was an experience. better than any gta or faux art game ahem*limbo*ahem. Riding up on a chasm, realizing the sunset on the rio, a man and his horse, yeah, this is the west.

my only complaint is that there was too much talking during the missions, jesus christ this is a western, yappityy yap yap, eastwood would roll his eyes..

Yeah I'm not big on Sandbox games myself, but I loved Elder Scrolls before Oblivion went overboard with the level scaling. I haven't tried Skyrim yet.

I could not get into the GTA games or Just Cause 2 either even though I recognize they are very well made sandbox games. I like an open ended experience, but not full sandbox; Dark Souls is more my style and I enjoyed DA:O.

I just can't shake the feeling that I should be playing an MMO when I'm in a single player sandbox game.

#3933 The Linguist

The Linguist

.5 man + .5 bear + .5 pig

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Not exactly XBLA but I got an email from Xbox offering 3-month gold membership for $9.99. It said cards were available from participating retailers, but none were listed and clicking on the message took me directly to the sign-up page at xbox.com.

Does anyone know who's selling the cards for $9.99? I don't want to sign up yet but I would grab a couple of cards for later.

#3934 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

RDR is a truly uniqe gaming experience that MUST be played. Even if you don't like westerns, shooters, or whatever, please give it a chance, eventually, as it is a very rewarding experience. I don't think anyone would regret it. Every gamer OWES it to him/her self to play RDR's story missions, imho.

You sound like IGN's drooling review of RDR.

Don't get me wrong; I love RDR. A lot. It's tremendous fun but the plot tries to be too much Apocalypse Now for my tastes, only with R*'s endlessly cutely neurotic characters and casual boutique iconoclasm. It felt like a great atmospheric piece of being a cowboy going through an old west area but a lousy western.

Again, though, love the game. Fun as hell. Even when you're doing stupid plant collecting. Well, almost when you're doing that crap.

#3935 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

yeah it kinda plays a somewhat scenario after you get reunited with your family. I apologize for spoilers but really that game has been out for a year, who really hasn't played/beaten it yet?

<<<

#3936 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

I haven't finished RDR. It was fun for as much as I played it, but I did get tired of it. It's a bit repetitive. Still, I keep meaning to go back to it, but other stuff to play keeps popping up, so it hasn't happened. I have a copy of Nightmare sealed and am not sure when (or if) I'll ever get to it.

Crunchewy.png

#3937 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

I haven't finished RDR. It was fun for as much as I played it, but I did get tired of it. It's a bit repetitive. Still, I keep meaning to go back to it, but other stuff to play keeps popping up, so it hasn't happened. I have a copy of Nightmare sealed and am not sure when (or if) I'll ever get to it.

Nightmare is a blast if only for horde mode that I've played lol.

#3938 yantelope

yantelope

F.A.C.S Alumnus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

I loved RDR but don't much care for any of Bethesda's RPGS (Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim). RDR has much more charm and personality than the lifeless characters in the Bethesda games.

#3939 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

I realize this is off topic, but Please share your methods! :)

Changing your theme? Like someone else said, go to the Social tab. From there you select your avatar, and the rest should be apparent. Tada.

As for Royal High Knight... I haven't even started RDR so glancing your post did not make me happy.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

#3940 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

I loved RDR but don't much care for any of Bethesda's RPGS (Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim). RDR has much more charm and personality than the lifeless characters in the Bethesda games.

I think this has less to do with how Bethesda writes its characters and more about how they are presented. If RDR used nothing but the in game Engine to present their characters they would feel a bit lifeless also. On the flip side if Bethesda used more in game cut scenes to set up story and characters they would feel more fleshed out.

#3941 Gabrius

Gabrius

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

I tend to put fun ahead of charming characters when I make a decision on what to play.

#3942 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

I tend to put fun ahead of charming characters when I make a decision on what to play.

Other games not so much, but for RPGs I just can't get into the game if the characters are either obnoxious or dull. Can't do it at all. This is why Bethesda games are at the very bottom of my chart of interest.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

#3943 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

I think this has less to do with how Bethesda writes its characters and more about how they are presented. If RDR used nothing but the in game Engine to present their characters they would feel a bit lifeless also. On the flip side if Bethesda used more in game cut scenes to set up story and characters they would feel more fleshed out.

Agreed, I also might care more about the story if it was. I always find myself more interested in exploring and finding new stuff than I am about finding out anything with regards to the story, or trying to follow it.

#3944 zubalove

zubalove

Old and In the Way

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

The EA Sale following this one has got my attention. Dragon Age 2 DLC has yet to see a sale, right? Mass Effect 2 DLC should be a no-brainer with ME3 right around the corner.

What I'd like to know is are we going to see a discount on Crysis from them? Knocking that game down from 1600 to 1200 puts it in my library on the 360 instead of holding out for a PC rig that can play it.

#3945 JiveT

JiveT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I guess MS is conditioning us to not expect anything but the same stuff on sale over and over so we don't wait years for Game X to go on sale HA! I WILL STILL WAIT!!

#3946 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me SeƱor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Changing your theme? Like someone else said, go to the Social tab. From there you select your avatar, and the rest should be apparent. Tada.

As for Royal High Knight... I haven't even started RDR so glancing your post did not make me happy.

my bad, but really the game has been out more for a year and a half and has been on sale numerous of times. I assumed everyone has played this. If it makes you feel better, gears of war 3 ending was spoiled to me an hour after I received the game. :cry:

#3947 Crono-00

Crono-00

Backlog 4 Lyfe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

some asshole talking about his 400 game backlog will chime in

Ouch, I'm sorry, but I am trying to work it down. Darn Rome table (from old FX2 sale) refuses to be nice to me. I do try my best to stay on topic with the deals.

Opposed to I where I tend to put charming characters ahead of fun. 'Cus the cute anime chixxors are mah waifu.

The EA Sale following this one has got my attention. Dragon Age 2 DLC has yet to see a sale, right? Mass Effect 2 DLC should be a no-brainer with ME3 right around the corner.

What I'd like to know is are we going to see a discount on Crysis from them? Knocking that game down from 1600 to 1200 puts it in my library on the 360 instead of holding out for a PC rig that can play it.

I too hope the EA sale involves Dragon Age 2 DLC, all of it. Since I do have the game from Best Buy's $10 offer the other day, but it is still in the shrinkwrap in case the sale doesn't involve the DLC or if the pricing is not right for me. It was a game I was holding out for a complete edition, like the first Dragon Age. Mass Effect 2 is another as well, but all this time and a complete edition hasn't showed up yet, so I hope for a 2&3 complete. I am holding out hope the EA sale saves me. It is a balance to figure if I'd save more from a sale on a complete edition, or just getting the core game with the DLC on sale. For now, my backlog helps.

I did bite on the Sonic 4-1, it feels different from my memories of rose colored nostalgia, but I can deal with it. Has there been any mention if Sonic 4-2 the end or will it continue to episode 3 or beyond?

Ah well, I got so much backlog to work down.

Edited by Crono-00, 29 December 2011 - 06:50 PM.
Mah laifu

#3948 wirechild

wirechild

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

I guess MS is conditioning us to not expect anything but the same stuff on sale over and over so we don't wait years for Game X to go on sale HA! I WILL STILL WAIT!!

There has been at least 7 or 8 XBLA games on sale for their first time in less than 2 weeks. When you add in the DLC and passes that are also on sale for the first time I think MS is actually doing really good, in my opinion.

I think the sales have been good through the holidays and I have only bought Bastion so far.

#3949 Barry Burton

Barry Burton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

i can't believe some of you haven't played red dead yet, how many games of the year awards does it have to win to peak peoples curiosity? it's been out since may 2010

undead nightmare is a steal at 400 points, heck it's a steal at it's original price of 800, the only dlc i thought was worth paying for since it's practically a new game totally unrelated to the original games plot, and it's longer and more fun than many $60 retail games

#3950 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

I have been able to partake in some of these sales so far so I am satisfied overall. I will say this though. If the XBLA model of sales is what MS would like to see in converting gaming to mostly digital content then I will never ever accept it. I will always want physical media. It has never made any sense to me that the digital content sees less sales, fewer permanent price drops, and longer time frames till a sale in comparison to their physical media counterpart. PC digital content seems to actually be cheaper yet for consoles it seems to be the opposite.

#3951 Abbadon74

Abbadon74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Can anyone weigh in on the two multiplayer add-ons for RDR (Liars & Cheats/Legends & Killers)? I picked up the Undead Nightmare in a Gamefly sale, but was wondering if these were "required" or at least highly recommended.

Thanks!

-B

#3952 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Can anyone weigh in on the two multiplayer add-ons for RDR (Liars & Cheats/Legends & Killers)? I picked up the Undead Nightmare in a Gamefly sale, but was wondering if these were "required" or at least highly recommended.

Thanks!

-B

If you have the UN disc, I am pretty sure that the other DLC is on the disc too.

#3953 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Thanks!

-B

I could have sworn that the two multiplayer add-ons are included in the Undead Nightmare disc. I'd double check.

Edit: Yep, according to the Amazon description: http://www.amazon.co...25186611&sr=8-1

Edited by Felder71, 29 December 2011 - 07:24 PM.
Link to Amazon

Posted Image

#3954 tmw214

tmw214

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

i can't believe some of you haven't played red dead yet, how many games of the year awards does it have to win to peak peoples curiosity? it's been out since may 2010

undead nightmare is a steal at 400 points, heck it's a steal at it's original price of 800, the only dlc i thought was worth paying for since it's practically a new game totally unrelated to the original games plot, and it's longer and more fun than many $60 retail games

Agreed

Undead is a full game disguised as an add-on.Yes the characters are the same but the atmosphere is completely different from RDR. A great deal at 800 and you won't find much better at 400

#3955 ShoeGamer19

ShoeGamer19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Are the other packs, strictly for multiplayer?

#3956 Abbadon74

Abbadon74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

I could have sworn that the two multiplayer add-ons are included in the Undead Nightmare disc. I'd double check.

Edit: Yep, according to the Amazon description: http://www.amazon.co...25186611&sr=8-1

Thank you You just saved me a load of points!

-B

#3957 tmw214

tmw214

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Are the other packs, strictly for multiplayer?

Yes. They add some weapons and hideouts you could use in private free roam, if you just want to play by yourself. But if you have no interest in multiplayer, they're probably not worth getting

#3958 Abbadon74

Abbadon74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

If you have the UN disc, I am pretty sure that the other DLC is on the disc too.

I really appreciate the heads-up!

-B

#3959 ShoeGamer19

ShoeGamer19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Yes. They add some weapons and hideouts you could use in private free roam, if you just want to play by yourself. But if you have no interest in multiplayer, they're probably not worth getting

Thanks so much man, Really at this point, just interested in getting the Undead Add-On.

#3960 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Ouch, I'm sorry, but I am trying to work it down. Darn Rome table (from old FX2 sale) refuses to be nice to me. I do try my best to stay on topic with the deals.

wasn't referring to one person jus sayin :bouncy:

how long until the GOW pass is leaked, oh em gee