Logitech PlayGear PSP Case - Reviews, discussion and..."tale of the tape"

blackcracker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Check out the case skin thread here.

Quicky Review and Tale of the Tape
by CheapyD

Hey, I just got my Logitech PlayGear PSP Case today from EBgames.com and I am very impressed. Not only is the case cool looking, but I actually prefer playing the PSP with it inside the case. If you have larger hands like myself, you would probably feel the same way. EDIT: I now see the trouble with the latch as mentioned in the review from PSPWorld. It can be easily recitfied by opening the case from the side. This may be a design feature to prevent accidental opening.

I measured both the Logitech case and the Value Pack case to illustrate the similarities in size. I have attached below a scan of both cases.

Logitech PlayGear - Width: 7 1/4 inches & Height: 3 3/4 inches
Value Pack Case - Width : 7 3/8 inches & Height: 3 5/8 inches

As you can see, the size differences are negligible, with the Logitech case having the advantage in width but not height. The Logitech case is also heavier and more voluminous, yet remains pocket-sized for me. Your milage may vary (I have big pockets ;)).

For someone who has used the PSP for quite a bit music playback, the Logitech case is a life saver. To prevent accidental presses I no longer need to use rely on the somewhat tricky "Hold" switch or the evil white snake known as the Value Pack Remote. The case does just fine protecting against unwanted button presses, yet allows one to change tracks with the shoulder buttons, even with the case closed. If I do need to access the full controls, its no problem to quickly open the case, make my selections and slide it back into my pocket.

The Logitech PlayGear Case is highly recommended.

GameStop: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801992
Use coupon code FREESHIPALL for free shipping

EBgames: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256290.asp

Additional Review from PSPWorld

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Is this case out already? Didnt see it at any local game shops. Looks like the best bet out there.[/QUOTE]

Not till the 14th of this month.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']Does that Screen Protector come with the Logitech package?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Are you refering to the cover of the logitech case? Or like a thin film screen protector like brando or hori? If you are refering to the later the answere is no.

I read the review and it did not give a good answer to this question, do you have to take the case off every time you change a UMD disc?

[quote name='ajh2298']I read the review and it did not give a good answer to this question, do you have to take the case off every time you change a UMD disc?[/QUOTE]

I think it said that you can't reach the UMD drive, the MagicGate slot, or the battery with the case on. What disappoints me is that the stupid latch apparently is too tight.

[quote name='ajh2298']I read the review and it did not give a good answer to this question, do you have to take the case off every time you change a UMD disc?[/QUOTE]

This is from the review :

"Your PSP is totally playable while inside the case with the lid up. The above-mentioned openings allow for complete access to all controls and ports except the USB and UMD door."

I would take it that you couldn't change games while in the case or have the usb cord hooked up while in that case.

I have the Aero Case and am quite pleased by it. Would recommend to anyone out there looking for a case.

notoriousxbox: Where did you get your aero? As much as I love the look and idea of the hard case logitech I have a hard time justifying it since it doesn't hold any extra UMD's or allow you to change discs without taking it out. I'm constantly changing discs.
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']notoriousxbox: Where did you get your aero? As much as I love the look and idea of the hard case logitech I have a hard time justifying it since it doesn't hold any extra UMD's or allow you to change discs without taking it out. I'm constantly changing discs.
-G[/QUOTE]

I got my aerocase off of ebay.

Here's some pics of the case. It comes in Blue and Black.

http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=306&products_id=6382&img=psp-airo-case-blue

You can go to ebay and grab one. Lik-sang.com also has them available. I dont know this site but its supposed to be a local as in NA seller of the aero case :

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/P-1005.html?mv_pc=1275

Now just as a warning the case has 2 slots open to put games, look at this pic the bottom part :

http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=306&products_id=6382&img=psp-airo-case-blue&show=3

You can slide the UMD in there by itself and it fits. I'm not satisified with the protection cause of the open hole on the back of the umd. Any dust or debris gets in the case imo it can be easily transfered to the umd, then transfered into the psp disc drive itself and that worries me. What I put in that flap is the cleaning cloth and my memory stick.

The top half is what i put my games in. I purchased the UMD game cases that snap close. Again there are umd cases that u can slide the umd in and out of but I didnt feel good using those. You can fit 4 games in the cases in the top mesh part.

I'll be picking it up too, but I really wish it had a pouch to carry UMD games. Aero Case looks good for that function, but I need a really hard and protective case.

Definately picking this bad boy up--I'll be hounding my EB the day of to see if they got them in.

$20 for a case...haha, no way in hell I'm forking over a jackson. If I was in grade school though, it would be cool to get as protection in my backpack with my sack lunch from my mommy. Or if you like shiny accessories and want to geek it out. Pencil protector gadgets have evolved, I'll give you that.

Point being, I'm old enough not to fuck it up. $5 screen protectors ok. not $20 turtle shell.

And if you do have $20 to spend on a case, might as well chip in another $10 for a crapusa protection plan. Wouldn't that be more prudent when you drop your PSP?

[quote name='CheapyD']Lame...I was really hoping to swing by EB on Friday and pick up this case and possibly Spy vs Spy for $15.

GameStop still has it listed for the 14th...dare to dream.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801992[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I swore ebgames had a release date of 4/20 a couple days ago, and now it says it's coming out this Thursday/Friday. Pretty strange...hopefully this is the right date

[quote name='Wario64']Hmm, I swore ebgames had a release date of 4/20 a couple days ago, and now it says it's coming out this Thursday/Friday. Pretty strange...hopefully this is the right date[/QUOTE]
You are not crazy... I checked EBgames.com yesterday after you posted and indeed, the date was 4/20 and it was originally 4/14.
Now its 4/15.

[quote name='CheapyD']You are not crazy... I checked EBgames.com yesterday after you posted and indeed, the date was 4/20 and it was originally 4/14.
Now its 4/15.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered from ebgames.com First it said it would be released 4/14. A few days ago I got an e-mail saying it would be released 4/20, then today I got an e-mail saying 4/15. So, hopefully the date does'nt change again.

I ordered this case from EB on 3/25. Expected Ship Date: 04/15/05. It did change from 20 though. WhoHoo. Can't wait.

[quote name='sononkyo']$20 for a case...haha, no way in hell I'm forking over a jackson. If I was in grade school though, it would be cool to get as protection in my backpack with my sack lunch from my mommy. Or if you like shiny accessories and want to geek it out. Pencil protector gadgets have evolved, I'll give you that.

Point being, I'm old enough not to fuck it up. $5 screen protectors ok. not $20 turtle shell.

And if you do have $20 to spend on a case, might as well chip in another $10 for a crapusa protection plan. Wouldn't that be more prudent when you drop your PSP?[/QUOTE]

...But it's also a STAND!....

[quote name='sononkyo']Point being, I'm old enough not to fuck it up. $5 screen protectors ok. not $20 turtle shell. [/QUOTE]

You mean you're old enough to not carry it around? Because the case's primary function is to prevent your PSP from being damaged when you carry it with you, whether that be in a backpack like you mentioned, in a pocket, or in a briefcase. I know I wouldn't want to carry my PSP around in my pocket unprotected. Some of the other cases are good options, though I just don't like the Aero case, and a simple screen film isn't enough some times.

I will have to see this case in person before I buy it.

I know I might get flamed but with a hori screen protector, I have yet to have a problem just using the provided case that comes with the PSP.

But i would not mind having a hard case for protection as well.

I own this and love it :

b118340.jpg

[quote name='doctorfaustus']what is that? Looks neato, but have you noticed any scratches, light or otherwise?[/QUOTE]

Nope...I also lay the cleaning cloth across the screen sometimes to give it extra protection and so I can have it on hand.

WhipSmartBanky linked me to a mini review on GameFAQS...the guy seemed to like it, but said it made the PSP quite a bit larger than the when its in the inclcuded case.

I called my local EB yesterday and the guy said "That's coming out in May".

Honestly, if not for stuff like the 3 for 1 psp game deal--I'd avoid that place like the plague.

I'm going to call again today and inquire about why it shows 4/15 on the website.

Edit-- Wow, now it says shipping 4/18...what the hell is up with this thing.

AND the plot thickens yet again.

Apparently there is two versions--the Playgear Pocket, and the Playgear Street, as seen here on Ecost.com

Playgear Pocket-- (14.99)
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=536040
Mfr Part # : 970160-0403

Playgear Street-- (19.49)
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=536041
Mfr Part # : 970161-0403

From the Playgear Street description...

"Wear your PSP, carry your games and listen to music. Made of virtually indestructible polycarbonate material, the Logitech PlayGear street™ lets you keep your PSP, game discs and memory sticks organized, and you can transport it all hands-free. PlayGear street™ comes with an adjustable shoulder strap allowing you to wear it messenger style - comfortably across your chest. Easy-access to the headphone jack and built-in cord management means you can enjoy music on the go without any cord tangling. Perfect for biking, skateboarding, commuting, or just walking around town. Protection, style, and convenience.

Features and Benefits
VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE
POLYCARBONATE ARMOR - PROTECTS PSP, UMD’s and Memory Sticks
HANDS-FREE MESSENGER DESIGN - SAFETY (when biking etc),

CONVENIENCE (for jogging etc)
STYLISH DESIGN - MAINTAINS ICONIC PSP IDENTITY & STYLE
MEDIA STORAGE - HOLDS UP TO 4 UMD Discs and 4 Memory Sticks
PRECISION HEADPHONE JACK ACCESS - ALLOWS WEARER TO LISTEN TO MUSIC ON THE GO
CORD MANAGEMENT FEATURE - AVOIDS CORD TANGLING
ADJUSTABLE STRAP - ENSURES A COMFORTABLE FIT "

This is the first time i've ever heard of the "Street" edition...if anyone has additional info to offer on either of these things, it'd be much appreciated!

Hmmm..also confirmed here--

http://www.datadrive4all.com/mfg_prod/LOGITECH.html

ITEM# Product Name
178372 LOGITECH PLAYGEAR POCKET PSP POLYCARBONATE CASE (970160-0403)
178375 LOGITECH PLAYGEAR STREET PSP POLYCARBONATE CASE (970161-0403)

Same MFG part #s that differ by only 1 digit.

Looks your right JDMxB. Amazon and buy.com have posted similar items up too.
No Pic.
Amazon:
"Product Description
The hands-free way to carry your PSP. Adjustable shoulder strap with headphone cord management system. Hands free messenger design. Store your PSP and accessories. Hard polycarbonate case protects your PSP from everyday bumps and scratches"

Buy.com:
"Product Description
Wear your psp, carry your games and listen to music. Made ofvirtually indestructible polycarbonate material, the logitechplaygear street lets you keep your psp, game discs and memory sticks organized, and you can transport it all hands-free.Playgear street comes with an adjustable shoulder strap"

Sounds like a purse "Shoulder Strap"

I just saw someone out on the street here in NYC with the case. Looked pretty sturdy. The guys at my local EB claim that it'll arrive on the 19th. Here's hoping...

i have been to two gamestops and have called several EB's in washington state and have yet to find one. EB's site changed the date on it from 4/15 to 4/18, and my local EB said they should get it several days from now. She also said I could pre-order it. I have never pre-ordered an accessory, perhaps i should

I bought mine last Thursday from a local video games store. I have no idea why they got them in early, since I haven't seen a single one elsewhere.

i've just been reading that most gamestops have them in. anyone know if best buy or circuit city will be carrying these cases? i'd like to use the ggc to knock down the price.

bread's done
Back