Classic CRPG Compilation's Incoming

Eiridan

CAGiversary!
I am not sure if anyone else is aware or interested but apparently Atari will soon be releasing two anthologies of older but critically acclaimed Computer RPGs.

Dungeons and Dragons Classic Anthology - $ 19.99
Includes :
- Baldur's Gate + Baldur's Gate - Tales of the Sword Coast
- Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn + Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal
- Icewind Dale
- Icewind Dale II
- The Temple of Elemental Evil
- Planescape Torment

Dungeons and Dragons - Neverwinter Nights - Complete - $ 29.99
Includes :
- Neverwinter Nights
- Neverwinter Nights - Shadows of Undrentide
- Neverwinter Nights - Hordes of the Underdark
- Neverwinter Nights - Kingmaker
- Neverwinter Nights 2
- Neverwinter Nights 2 - Storm of Zehir
- Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
- Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mysteries of Westgate

Just thought I would post this on CAG considering how well received many of these games are and how I myself was considering purchasing them separately through GOG.com at one point.

I'd love to grab the first pack, even though I just bought those games on GOG recently. The description on the Amazon page says it comes with the Icewind Dale expansion as well, but the picture of the box seems to make no mention of it.

Wondering what the odds are that they have been tweaked to the point of great compatibility on modern systems, or if they are just packaged together on a DVD. Someone be the guinea pig!

[quote name='Eiridan']

Just thought I would post this on CAG considering how well received many of these games are and how I myself was considering purchasing them separately through GOG.com at one point.[/QUOTE]

Why not just get them from GOG.com and get all the bonuses -- plus no DRM?

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Wondering what the odds are that they have been tweaked to the point of great compatibility on modern systems, or if they are just packaged together on a DVD. Someone be the guinea pig![/QUOTE]

The GOG.com versions are tweaked to work with modern system, so I expect these may be the same versions, perhaps as part of a reciprocal part of allowing GOG to carry their games.

[quote name='nikkai']They are really milking those games for all their worth. Excellent games though.[/QUOTE]

They are actually great prices for the content IMO. For the first bundle, it would cost $46 buying them from GOG, for example. Even if GOG has a sale for half off, which they don't at the moment, it would still be cheaper. Not too shabby.

I didn't know Canada even made RPGs. What classic CRPGs are there?

CRPG can't mean Computer RPG because then every RPG released on PC would be a CRPG. OP thanks for confusing the heck out of me. Sorry if I come off a little harsh I was genuinely confused by the title until I peeked in the thread and saw what you meant. FWIW:

JRPG=Japanese RPG
KRPG=Korean RPG

I have no idea what the other country abbreviations are for their respective RPGs but I would guess that ours would be USRPGs? And European ones would be EURPGs? Thus I thought CRPG must have meant Canadian RPGs.

/end unecessary rant (please don't hate me for being anal)

EDIT: IIRC Computer RPGs are usually abbreviated PC RPGs...

You don't recall correctly. However, the C is usually designated in lower case but the abbreviation cRPG is fairly well established and has been for quite some time. So, yes, your rant was unnecessary... in more ways than one.

Just wikied it. Strange that I've never heard the term before but it's cited as having been around for a very long time. Seems very odd to have the term in existence along with others that have a different meaning. I swear I've always heard them referred to as PC RPGs. Maybe it's just a local thing.

Classic compilation is an excellent deal. I really couldn't stomach the low resolutions when I tried playing a few of these games after the last GoG sale though.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I didn't know Canada even made RPGs. What classic CRPGs are there?

CRPG can't mean Computer RPG because then every RPG released on PC would be a CRPG. OP thanks for confusing the heck out of me. Sorry if I come off a little harsh I was genuinely confused by the title until I peeked in the thread and saw what you meant. FWIW:

JRPG=Japanese RPG
KRPG=Korean RPG

I have no idea what the other country abbreviations are for their respective RPGs but I would guess that ours would be USRPGs? And European ones would be EURPGs? Thus I thought CRPG must have meant Canadian RPGs.

/end unecessary rant (please don't hate me for being anal)

EDIT: IIRC Computer RPGs are usually abbreviated PC RPGs...[/QUOTE]

You must be younger than 30. CRPG = Computer Role Playing Game. As opposed to "RPG", which refers to tabletop, pen-and-paper RPGs.

I know tabletop RPGs are all but dead now, but once upon a time, playing D&D on your computer was a novel experience.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I didn't know Canada even made RPGs. What classic CRPGs are there? ...

JRPG=Japanese RPG
KRPG=Korean RPG

I have no idea what the other country abbreviations are for their respective RPGs but I would guess that ours would be USRPGs? And European ones would be EURPGs? Thus I thought CRPG must have meant Canadian RPGs.[/QUOTE]
So Final Fantasy XIV would be a JMMOCRPG?

[quote name='gcorlett']You must be younger than 30. CRPG = Computer Role Playing Game. As opposed to "RPG", which refers to tabletop, pen-and-paper RPGs.

I know tabletop RPGs are all but dead now, but once upon a time, playing D&D on your computer was a novel experience.[/QUOTE]

28. Also I play table-top D&D once a month with a group. I've been playing PC games since DOS too.:whistle2:k

I must have simply not heard the expression in soo long that I've completely forgotten it.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Wondering what the odds are that they have been tweaked to the point of great compatibility on modern systems, or if they are just packaged together on a DVD. Someone be the guinea pig![/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this as well.

I have so many different copies of all these games (including a Korean Collectors Edition of NWN1) it is crazy. I will get these as well.

[quote name='jayntampa']Why not just get them from GOG.com and get all the bonuses -- plus no DRM?

[/QUOTE]

unless you're getting the games in the first pack during a gog sale, $20 is a lot cheaper than what you'd pay for them altogether at gog ($55).

also gog doesn't have neverwinter nights 2.

I'm not saying people should buy this instead of from gog, I'm just saying I could see why they would

[quote name='Chrono Gear']28. Also I play table-top D&D once a month with a group. I've been playing PC games since DOS too.:whistle2:k

I must have simply not heard the expression in soo long that I've completely forgotten it.[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, me neither! :D

I'd like to have these, but I have original copies of all of them already. I would definitely replay them. I never played the expansions for Neverwinter Nights (1 or 2). I had the games finished long before their expansions were released and had trouble backtracking.

What came first cRPG or JRPG?

[quote name='Trebuken']What came first cRPG or JRPG?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK Wizardry was more or less the inspiration for the very first JRPGs.

Guys,

The Baldur's Gate games are hands down my fave RPG's ever and for those of you planning to pick that up I HIGHLY encourage you to check this link...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/baldurs-gate/1177710p1.html

It is a story Gamespy ran several months ago about the Big World Project creating what is truly the ultimate mod for these games. It includes widescreen compatibility and, believe it or not, it also adds TONS of new quests and tacks on MANY additional hours. You REALLY want to add this to the games but be sure to read up on everything.

You won't be disappointed.

GOG had a pretty good D&D sale a couple months back that got you everything for $40, minus NVW2 but plus Dragonshard and Demon Stone.

[quote name='wtsutton']Guys,

The Baldur's Gate games are hands down my fave RPG's ever and for those of you planning to pick that up I HIGHLY encourage you to check this link...

It is a story Gamespy ran several months ago about the Big World Project creating what is truly the ultimate mod for these games. It includes widescreen compatibility and, believe it or not, it also adds TONS of new quests and tacks on MANY additional hours. You REALLY want to add this to the games but be sure to read up on everything.

You won't be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, THANKS! An additional 50+ hrs of content for the greatest cRPG series of all time? Hell yeah!!!

Kick ass. I am going to check that out. Thanks!

Love these games. Baldurs Gate 2: shadow of amn - Hands down the best RPG ever. possibly a top 5 game of all time. Never Winter Night was also outrageously good.

Now the irony is, should i pick these up or play Skyrim.

Not bad deals at all for those who yet too play them. I jumped on them back when GoG had them. Wish they were this cheap back then.

Thanks for the tip.

Meh. Great deal, but when I read it was classic D&D games, I was expecting Eye of the Beholder or Menzoberanzan or something.

[quote name='Daring']Now the irony is, should i pick these up or play Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition so I can play all the extra content in one play through.

[quote name='Maskim']Meh. Great deal, but when I read it was classic D&D games, I was expecting Eye of the Beholder or Menzoberanzan or something.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I was especially looking forward to playing Dark Sun again. Since I was never able to beat it.

[quote name='Thrinn']AFAIK Wizardry was more or less the inspiration for the very first JRPGs.[/QUOTE]

Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic, The Bard's Tale, etc. All were great series in their time. I think that the Baldurs Gate games are the best that Bioware has ever made.

[quote name='Daring']Love these games. Baldurs Gate 2: shadow of amn - Hands down the best RPG ever. possibly a top 5 game of all time. Never Winter Night was also outrageously good.

Now the irony is, should i pick these up or play Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

The original Neverwinter's official campaign sucked beyond all belief. However the expansions that came out were pretty darn good and the user created stuff is AWESOME, mostly if you are an old school pencil and paper player. I loved playing through some of those really good downloadable adventures based off the old school modules like Tomb of the Lizard King.

I've always felt BG2: SoA was the greatest CRPG ever. I can't get enough of it and to this day I have the entire BG series on my computer at home as well as my laptop at work. The best thing about the BG games is the spellcasting. Nothing in any game comes close to the intensity and complexity of wizard battles with contingencies and spell sequencers and everything else.

Planescape: Torment was pretty darn good too however I'm not as high on it as a lot of other people. I give the nod to BG2 but that is just my opinion.

PS...I also still have all the Gold Box games on my comp and laptop too. Thank God for MoSlo.

[quote name='Daring']Love these games. Baldurs Gate 2: shadow of amn - Hands down the best RPG ever. possibly a top 5 game of all time. Never Winter Night was also outrageously good.

Now the irony is, should i pick these up or play Skyrim.[/QUOTE]
By the time you play through the games in Classic Anthology (especially Torment) Skyrim should be reaching a reasonable price either as the second-hand market gets tired of it or the GTOY edition will be dropping soon.

I'll definitely be picking up the Classic Anthology, maybe the NWN one later on. I've been dying to put more games on my netbook, and this is perfect. Sucks about the DRM, but I'm sure it'll be cracked or worked around eventually.

Oh god, this is gorgeous.

Ashame I've spent to much money this month on games :/
Oh well, I'm sure they aren't going anywhere.

Not a huge NWN fan but Planescape and the Baldurs gate series are hands down the best PC RPG's, brings back the nostalgia of playing these on my old AMD K6-2 333Mhz processor.

[quote name='Dragon138']Not a huge NWN fan but Planescape and the Baldurs gate series are hands down the best PC RPG's, brings back the nostalgia of playing these on my old AMD K6-2 333Mhz processor.[/QUOTE]

Old days?

Try Apple IIC and Space Quest for Old.

Then I got a Packard Bell 25 MHz comp, which originally came w/ 2MB of ram, but I bought 2MB because the Silo salesman (Silo???) said it would make my computer fly. I also bought a single speed external CD ROM the size of a VCR.

Kickin' it old school.

Planescape Torment had a lot of flaws (like bolts and arrows without a bow or crossbow in the game) but is hands down my favorite rpg story ever.

This isn't exactly on topic, but does anyone know if the Eye of the Beholder series or Black Crypt are available anywhere? Or updated to run on modern pcs? I looked on gog.com but couldn't find anything.

This is absolutely awesome. I'll probably buy these when they drop about 25%.

Like Star Wars, it's time to rebuy Baldur's Gate II for the 4th time. Even more excited about the NWN collection.

I just realized after NWN, I'd own about 80% of all Forgotten Realms CRPGs. They should just re-release all the early 90's SSI games in 1-2 additional packs and be done with it.

bread's done
Back