Photo
- - - - -

CAG League Sports: Madden 12 "JV League" - We Finished 3 Seasons! Thanks Everybody!!!

• Please log in to reply
4457 replies to this topic

#121 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

So we will have all starters from week one with static random injuries during the season. Sweet! I'm stoked! Interface seems easy to.

#122 hostyl1

hostyl1

Rejoice commoners!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

1. Play fair and make decisions like a real NFL coach. This isn't to say never go for it on 4th down, but make sure that the situation calls for it. Yes, some coaches will chance it deep in an opponent's territory and try to punch it in rather than taking a field goal. That's a judgment call. Going for a 4th and 2 at your own 25 yd line is not.

I have no problem with this rule as I'd love for people to punt to Devin Hester. But honestly, I dont know why people have such a problem with this. Maybe I'm biased from years of playing Madden in college where you'd practically get beat down if you called a punt (figuratively). If someone want to give up field position, so be it.

That being said, nowadays, I punt because it's the smart way to play. But I'm curious as to why people are so up in arms against it. Is it just because you want the games to be as "sim"-like as possible, or is there another reason.

BTW: If there is something non-real-NFL-like that I'd like to see eliminated it's the 20-step QB drop. ;)
Posted Image

#123 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

I guess no one is going to pick their secondary team lol.

#124 TheSportsGamer23

TheSportsGamer23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

I guess no one is going to pick their secondary team lol.

Can we just pick our second team?..or are we going backwards in draft order??

#125 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

we are going backwards apparently but doesn't seem to be working as nobody has chosen a team :applause:

#126 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

I have no problem with this rule as I'd love for people to punt to Devin Hester. But honestly, I dont know why people have such a problem with this. Maybe I'm biased from years of playing Madden in college where you'd practically get beat down if you called a punt (figuratively). If someone want to give up field position, so be it.

That being said, nowadays, I punt because it's the smart way to play. But I'm curious as to why people are so up in arms against it. Is it just because you want the games to be as "sim"-like as possible, or is there another reason.

BTW: If there is something non-real-NFL-like that I'd like to see eliminated it's the 20-step QB drop. ;)

Well, it's partially to make the games as "sim"-like as possible. But also, it forces people to play "the right way". As you said, it can be stopped, and thus give the opponent great field position. However, the type of person who is going to go for it on 4th down constantly is most likely also the type of person who is going to get mad and quit when their poor decisions backfire. OR, they're going to be the type of person to convert that 4th down by any means necessary (5 Wide "QB Draw", hurry up to get an easy conversion, or other jerk behavior).

Taking it one step further, they'd probably also be the type of person to go for onside kicks the entire game (I actually played a guy like this last night in ranked...and while I beat him easily, it wasn't a fun game because I had to constantly worry about him being a douchebag). That's just not the kind of mentality we want for this league. The basic thought is, if it's not something a professional would do, there's no reason anybody in a video game league needs to be doing it.

I had this same thought. Unless anyone is vehemently opposed, I'd be fine with just picking secondary teams in any order (or straight up assigning them for that matter). You can't trade with them anyway, and you'll likely only be playing half their games. Who you get isn't really that crucial.

Also, like many, I'll be in and out all weekend. My family just got into town today, and will be here till Saturday. I'm sure it's going to be a slow holiday weekend in this thread, but if we can piece together these secondary teams and get as many people into the league as possible (only 3 teams have accepted their invites so far), hopefully we can be ready to start playing games by Monday.
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#127 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

Maybe you should check with UMX to see if he still wants in as the Browns.

#128 TheSportsGamer23

TheSportsGamer23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:24 AM

I had this same thought. Unless anyone is vehemently opposed, I'd be fine with just picking secondary teams in any order (or straight up assigning them for that matter). You can't trade with them anyway, and you'll likely only be playing half their games. Who you get isn't really that crucial.

Also, like many, I'll be in and out all weekend. My family just got into town today, and will be here till Saturday. I'm sure it's going to be a slow holiday weekend in this thread, but if we can piece together these secondary teams and get as many people into the league as possible (only 3 teams have accepted their invites so far), hopefully we can be ready to start playing games by Monday.

Doesn't matter to me how the secondary teams are picked..I am for whatever is decided

Also, I do not have a mic for Xbox Live right now nor do I planning on buying one here soon. I hope this isnt a problem. I just don't prefer playing with a headset on.

#129 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

I guess I'll take the Vikings as my second team, assuming we're just going for it.

#130 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

Maybe you should check with UMX to see if he still wants in as the Browns.

I messaged him yesterday. Haven't gotten a response.

And I really don't care about secondary teams. I'll take whoever is left.

#131 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

Did anyone take the Jets yet? If not, I'll take them.

#132 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

Oh, I forgot to address the "QB taking a 20 step drop" issue, I think in the general Madden community, a distinction is made between "dropping back" and "sprinting back". The latter is generally considered to be garbage. Other than simply buying more time for receivers to get open, I'm not sure why this one is frowned upon. Because to me, it seems similar to rolling out in that way. But maybe somebody else could shed some more light on it.

Some things are going to have to be handled on a case by case basis because just posting a list of "don't do this, don't do this, don't do this" becomes tedious. One more thing that IS not allowed though is quick subbing players. For those unfamiliar with this, it's handled from the playcall screen, and gives the defense no heads up that personnel changes are being made. It was abused in the Official Madden League to interchange "Passing QBs" and "Running QBs" on a play to play basis. I'm hoping not much explanation needs to be given for why this is a cheap strategy.

If anybody is confused about anything or has any questions, please feel free to post them. As I said, I figure this weekend will be a bit slow in here, so any discussion we can keep going will just get us all that much more ready to start playing! :)

#133 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

Also, I do not have a mic for Xbox Live right now nor do I planning on buying one here soon. I hope this isnt a problem. I just don't prefer playing with a headset on.

Not a problem at all. I know several people in this league don't really enjoy talking while playing competitive games. There is absolutely no expectation to do so, and nobody should get offended if people don't want to talk.

Did anyone take the Jets yet? If not, I'll take them.

Jets are yours. Hope nobody gets too upset about doing secondary teams this way. But really, anyone that upset about a team being gone should have picked them as their main team.

Edited by CAGLeagueSports, 24 November 2011 - 02:34 AM.

#134 TheSportsGamer23

TheSportsGamer23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

I will take the Browns for my secondary team if they are available

Thought awhile back about someone joining the league and using them

#135 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

I will take the Browns for my secondary team if they are available

Thought awhile back about someone joining the league and using them

Yeah, a message was sent to him to let him know that they were still available, but he hasn't responded. As with all the secondary teams, if anybody wants to join the league, they're free to take any of those teams. I don't know if I'd say there's a "higher chance" of the Browns being claimed, but if you're cool knowing that, you can have them as your secondary team.

#136 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

I'll take the Panthers as my secondary if no one wants them. Just let me know.

#137 KasterDB

KasterDB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:14 AM

I'll go ahead and grab Tampa for my secondary.

#138 TheSportsGamer23

TheSportsGamer23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, a message was sent to him to let him know that they were still available, but he hasn't responded. As with all the secondary teams, if anybody wants to join the league, they're free to take any of those teams. I don't know if I'd say there's a "higher chance" of the Browns being claimed, but if you're cool knowing that, you can have them as your secondary team.

That's fine...If he ends up taking them..I will just choose from the remaining pool

EDIT: Waiting for Madden to go Live for 29.99 at BestBuy.com Rather buy it Online Then Deal with the Crowds..So I am hoping shipping isn't delayed

Edited by TheSportsGamer23, 24 November 2011 - 07:24 AM.

#139 DarkTower80

DarkTower80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

For secondary teams, I guess I will take the Cowboys.

#140 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

miami

#141 G33

G33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'll pass on having a secondary team since there should be enough other people to take them. If there happens to be one left over, I'll take it.

#142 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

That's fine...If he ends up taking them..I will just choose from the remaining pool

EDIT: Waiting for Madden to go Live for 29.99 at BestBuy.com Rather buy it Online Then Deal with the Crowds..So I am hoping shipping isn't delayed

Hope you've grabbed it by now (it's live on Bestbuy.com). But you should have several options. Amazon will have it later, Wal-Mart has it, and I think GameStop has it (I think their price was higher though).

#143 TheSportsGamer23

TheSportsGamer23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hope you've grabbed it by now (it's live on Bestbuy.com). But you should have several options. Amazon will have it later, Wal-Mart has it, and I think GameStop has it (I think their price was higher though).

Of course they are sold out online..I stayed up til 5 this morning to see when it would go live and then decided to go to bed...

Will try Amazon later tonight..If not I will have to battle the crowds

#144 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Of course they are sold out online..I stayed up til 5 this morning to see when it would go live and then decided to go to bed...

Will try Amazon later tonight..If not I will have to battle the crowds

Yeah, this BF has been a little odd. It doesn't help that it's not actually BF yet, and deals have been starting at all kinds of random times. It seems like most of them started at a "normal" time this morning. I got up at 9 AM CST and saw most deals were live (Best Buy, Newegg, etc.) At least you still have Amazon and Wal-Mart to take a crack at.

#145 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

I got the 24" TV from Best Buy I had to stay up till 5am CST, at least I don't have to go to the store now. I am going to pick up Madden at Walmart.

#146 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

Just posting this for everyone who hasn't gotten the game yet. It will be in Amazon's Lightning Deals at 10:15 PM PST (ie. 1:15 AM EST) tonight. Have your F5 finger ready!

#147 hostyl1

hostyl1

Rejoice commoners!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

I'm all for the general "Dont be a dick" rule. We dont really have to define it, but we'll all know what it is when (if) we see it.

As a second team, I'll claim the Tennessee Titans.
Posted Image

#148 seen

seen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

I'm all for the general "Dont be a dick" rule. We dont really have to define it, but we'll all know what it is when (if) we see it.

What's wrong with setting rules before-hand? They ensure the game is played fairly and that people who know the glitches do not exploit them.

#149 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

Basically, yeah. If anything comes up during games, people can report it then. But at the same time, you'd be surprised how many people in the other league didn't know that certain things were dick moves. Actually, as I type this, I remembered another: taking your kick returner and running him into the endzone and then back up, so he'll already be at full speed when he catches the ball.

Some people are willing to do anything to gain an advantage, and somehow can't process why it might not be a fair one. The general line of thinking of "if you don't see it in an NFL game, don't do it" SHOULD cover everything. But people can still surprise you sometimes.

What's wrong with setting rules before-hand? They ensure the game is played fairly and that people who know the glitches do not exploit them.

It's more just to cover the "I didn't know we couldn't do that" defense. Some things are glaringly obvious that you shouldn't do them. Others are more subtle. And others still are even completely debatable. Even with these rules, it still probably won't cover everything. But at least it defines the big things.

#150 TheSportsGamer23

TheSportsGamer23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

Getting Madden was a Success at Best Buy....Waited it Out in the Cold for Over an Hour!