Infamous Festival of Blood-Fastest-selling PSN game of all-time

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
looks like Sony has another winner :applause::applause::applause:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212317p1.html

Hopefully we'll see the complete edition by March & they continue to add more DLC too.

The question is can this become a true AAA franchise like GOW & Uncharted which means is can move 3-4 million? What does it need to make it a AAA franchise multiplayer, additional story elements?
http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals...sole=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total
Infamous has sold just over 2 million LTD(est.) in about 2 & 1/2 yrs w/275,000 sold in the 1st week
Infamous 2 has 918,000 LTD(est.) in 5 months w/352,000 sold in the 1st week

A "comparable title" Prototype has moved a similar amount of units 2.3 million LTD(est.) on PS3/X360 combined
http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals...sole=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played it yet, but do have it. Pretty impressive. I think they set it up well, by having it be a standalone, making it Move compatible and pricing it well with a great $10 pricepoint out of the shoot (and a Plus discount as well).

[quote name='Enuf']looks like Sony has another winner :applause::applause::applause:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212317p1.html

Hopefully we'll see the complete edition by March & they continue to add more DLC too.

The question is can this become a true AAA franchise like GOW & Uncharted which means is can move 3-4 million?
http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals...sole=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total[/QUOTE]

I'd say no.

It hasn't take off as much as those two series has, Sony hasn't actively pushed the game as much as it has those two series. Plus it doesn't have as wide an appeal as God of War and Uncharted. It is Sucker Punch's PS3 version of Sly Cooper, a good game but always overlooked and (the bridesmaid never the bride) as Sly was in the PS2 era behind Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter.

Doesn't mean its not good, but it will get acclaim and have sales, just don't expect massive things from the IP is all, including a run for sequel city, the demand just isn't there, people respect it and like it, but aren't falling over themselves to get it ala Uncharted and it's 3.8 million in sales this month.

And just by looking at your sales numbers for both games it doesn't have that uptick you'd expect to see from fast moving, very popular sequel.

Uncle5555 is 100% on the mark here. Infamous is a great series, but will never have the mass appeal of Uncharted, God of War, or Ratchet and Clank.

I think that a Vampire action game needs to be made. The question is if the infamous series doesn't have mass appeal, then what made Festival of Blood do so well?

[quote name='Thomas96']I think that a Vampire action game needs to be made. The question is if the infamous series doesn't have mass appeal, then what made Festival of Blood do so well?[/QUOTE]

It had enough appeal to make a $10 PSN title a top-seller. I think it's mostly the price that sold it, added in with the fact that it's a full game (although extremely short) that doesn't require Infamous 1 or 2 to play.

I wasn't impressed with it though, it seemed more like fan-service or filler than anything else. Most of the powers were rehashed and forcing us to play UGC for some of the story missions was lame. Basically, I think anyone that hasn't played Infamous 1 or 2 yet would enjoy it the most, because it doesn't really add much to the experience of the previous games.

[quote name='Thomas96']I think that a Vampire action game needs to be made. The question is if the infamous series doesn't have mass appeal, then what made Festival of Blood do so well?[/QUOTE]

i think what made this popular was first instead of it being dlc its a full game in and of itself so those people who didnt want to pay for in2 can get a taste of it for a cheap price.

also they did something more games should try doing which is add another element to an established game series to change things up drastically. like how people always wanted to have a zombie story in a gta game. theres been alot of games that people have wanted to add zombies to it only makes sense that other supernatural elements could be added and be successful you just need to make sure it jives with the established game.

cant think of anything werewolves would be good in.....

[quote name='uncle5555']IDoesn't mean its not good, but it will get acclaim and have sales, just don't expect massive things from the IP is all, including a run for sequel city, the demand just isn't there, people respect it and like it, but aren't falling over themselves to get it ala Uncharted and it's 3.8 million in sales this month.

And just by looking at your sales numbers for both games it doesn't have that uptick you'd expect to see from fast moving, very popular sequel. [/QUOTE]have to disagree
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-27-will-sucker-punch-create-infamous-3
the OP has been updated to reflect the sales jump from Infamous 1 to Infamous 2
the 2nd one has sold about 50% the total of the 1st in just 5 months and there's several sales jump pricing scenarios left in the 2 yr window for them to be equal
1-This is it's 1st holiday season
2-$40 MSRP
3-$50 complete edition w/this very popular DLC & maybe even more added)
3A-Complete edition sale prices
3B-$30 Complete edition GH price drop
4-$30 MSRP vanilla version(greastest hits promos)
5-$20 MSRP vanilla version
6-$10 GH vanilla version BF/daily deal sales
7-package deals of 1/2 to build excitement for Infamous3
With these factors left I see Infamous 2 moving 3 million lifetime

I can see Infamous 2 having an above average shelf life, with a large reason being the first one being given away for free to a lot of consumers. It expanded its reach and people that may not have given the series a shot will want to eventually continue it with the 2nd part.

[quote name='Enuf']have to disagree
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-27-will-sucker-punch-create-infamous-3
the OP has been updated to reflect the sales jump from Infamous 1 to Infamous 2
the 2nd one has sold about 50% the total of the 1st in just 5 months and there's several sales jump pricing scenarios left in the 2 yr window for them to be equal
...[/QUOTE]

Fair enough (no pun intended ;)) I was using the information you provided in your original post and made my case using that.

But still unless the sales spiked you're not selling to many more folks that A ) bought the original title B ) the new folks who bought a PS3 since the first game came out and picked the sequel up. So of course it will have a higher sales rate in its over all lifespan since more users = more sales.

But my point still remains, the IP itself doesn't have the expanded sales a sequel of the caliber your making it out to be SHOULD HAVE, as compared to Uncharted and other big game franchises on PS3, that display massive sales spikes in subsequently released sequels.

Edit 2: Out of my own curiosity I looked at first week sales for both and In1 bore out 179k vs In2 at 244k. This directly shows what I'm trying to impress upon you, compared to other Sony franchises you mentioned the sales don't bare out the massive sales uptick I would expect to see from a AAA title that In2 should be.

Not arguing the popularity of the IP, just pointing out the what I see based on the facts presented to me on the data you showed.

Edit: Upon further scrutinization of the information you provided, an established IP will almost always have a faster sell through than a new IP (the only case being a game that is an utter disaster and word of mouth kills it) so that accounts for the quicker sales of In2 over In1. And as I mentioned lifetimes sales of In2 will probably top In1 for the reasons I mentioned, my point was I expected more sales as per what you mentioned and wanted comments on, and that I don't see as indicative based on the data provided.

You mention Prototype, however Prototype differed in two ways, one it was a multi platform title (versus In1 being PS3 exclusive) and two it was DIRECT competition to Infamous which hurt In1's sales (hence all of the Infamous vs. Prototype discussions when both games were released)

And for the sequel, its anyone's guess, the article you provided from Eurogamer is over a year old, its going to be up to Sucker Punch to decide if they want to move on, Sony to greenlight it, and the fans to be interested in a sequel, and while I think it would be accepted, the demand isn't as much as for say Uncharted 3 or other big name games. Sales are going to be a huge factor for Sony to give them a go ahead, that and if they can spice it up enough to make a game people really want to play, so we'll see how things work out. ;)

I'm glad In: FoB sold well, as someone else mentioned in this thread it gave Sucker Punch a chance to do something new that was impossible to do in a $60 title and allowed them to get the game out to more people who otherwise wouldn't have played it, if it wasn't priced at a must buy $10 price point.

Just breezed through this last night/this morning and it was pretty fun. Although it basically dissuaded me from picking up inFamous 2 because I felt this was a fulfilling enough iteration of the series for me for the time being.

It would be nice if more games made shortened versions of full games like this for the gamer with a lack of attention span (in my case, older) but without the assets being in place from a successful retail version, it's in no way a sustainable business model.

Sales of 2 million aren't anything to sneeze out. You can carve out a nice trilogy with that amount of sales. If the sales end up a little higher than the first, with a little promotion the third could conceivably take off.

[quote name='praxus07']So do you or don't you need infamous 2 to play this?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you do, which is something they didn't advertise very well on the PSN. I mean on the ads they had for the game in the PSN store. So I just though it was some Infamous 2 DLC so I didn't bother looking at it. If I knew it was a standalone DLC I might have bought it at the time, during Halloween which is also something that probably helped sales. A vampire type game during Halloween, yes please.

[quote name='Thongsy']I don't think you do, which is something they didn't advertise very well on the PSN. I mean on the ads they had for the game in the PSN store. So I just though it was some Infamous 2 DLC so I didn't bother looking at it. If I knew it was a standalone DLC I might have bought it at the time, during Halloween which is also something that probably helped sales. A vampire type game during Halloween, yes please.[/QUOTE]don't need Infamous2 to play this it is stand alone.

bread's done
Back