Dragon's Crown for Vita (39.99) and PS3 (49.99) - August 6, 2013

chimpmeister

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Dragon's Crown is being developed by Vanillaware (to be published by Atlus) and is due out for the Vita and PS3 August 6, 2013. It's a 2D arcade/action/rpg in the style of King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Shadows Over Mystara, and Princess Crown. It is art directed by one of the same people who worked on the fantastic Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn.

Official website: http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

PREORDER BONUS

Preorders for Dragon's Crown from many retailers will include a 64 page artbook titled "Dragon's Crown Artworks". Official retailers listed on the Atlus website include Amazon, Newegg, FRYS, VGP, Gamestop, EB Games, Target, Wal Mart, and Best Buy. Here is information from the Atlus website about this preorder bonus:

Available for a limited time and only for preorders, "Dragon's Crown Artworks," the soft-cover art book, will be 64 pages of full-color drawings from Dragon's Crown. These include intricate drawings of characters in the game, lush environment backgrounds, and descriptions from George Kamitani, the creative mind behind Dragon's Crown. Also included in the art book will be commissioned illustrations of the Dragon's Crown universe from three prominent Japanese video game artists, Akira Yasuda (Akiriman), Kinu Nishimura, and Gouda Cheese (BENGUS). Sure to become a collectible, "Dragon's Crown Artworks" is available only while supplies last.
6zlkcl.jpg

Very positive preview article on IGN dated 5/7/13:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/dragons-crown-the-game-vita-and-ps3-deserves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv_dlY97RkA

Here's a youtube vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_g7lUliQU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9AEA78172414CEDB

And the Wiki article about it:

Dragon's Crown Wiki

Preorder links:

Amazon (artbook is listed as a preorder bonus on website):

PS3 (49.96)
Vita (39.96)

Newegg:

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

Best Buy:

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

Gamestop (artbook is listed as a preorder bonus on website):

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

Wal Mart (artbook is listed as a preorder bonus on website):

PS3 (49.96)
Vita (39.96)

Target:

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

If you've played games like King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, and Shadows of Mystara (all Capcom arcade titles), and liked any of those, you might like Dragon's Crown.

Credit for original Dragon's Crown threads, please check these for other information and discussions! See links for these threads below:

8bitArtist: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...agon%27s+crown

Kenshindono: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...agon%27s+Crown

TheGreatWang: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...agon%27s+Crown

Last edited by a moderator:
Only $29.99 and on PS3? I'll definitely be getting this. Huuuge fan of Muramasa on Wii, though this doesn't look quite as slick in terms of combat.

[quote name='handsomepete']New trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMKiimtmaI

Also, sadly Amazon bumped their price up to 49.99 for the PS3 version and 39.99 for the Vita version. Anyone that was sharp enough to jump on it early should be quite pleased indeed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update! Sadly jumping in early didn't help, Amazon cancelled both of my preorders!

I'll still buy both versions, but not until they're discounted. At least the game is still coming out!

[quote name='Yanksfan']Definitely will pick this up on the Vita. $30 is a good entry price point.[/QUOTE]

It's $40 for Vita and $50 for PS3, sorry I just edited the thread title and original post to reflect this. When it was first announced in late 2011 Amazon had links up for $30 for both versions, but they later took those down and cancelled my two preorders. You might be able to get these cheaper with a Newegg preorder discount though.

Animation seems a bit stilted compared to Muramasa Rebirth ... is that part of the charm? I like the exaggerated character design, though. I hope you can somehow pause or slowdown the action because the screen seems really chaotic with 4 players.

Will surely get this for both but the issue with PS3 exclusives now is that they drop to $40 MSRP fast as hell unlike before when it took months to see a $10 price drop. I'll get it once it's $30 & just do a b2g1 or wait for the vita to hit clearance at my goto clearance BB. Usually nicje titels are on clearance in less than 3 months.

[quote name='chimpmeister']It's $40 for Vita and $50 for PS3, sorry I just edited the thread title and original post to reflect this. When it was first announced in late 2011 Amazon had links up for $30 for both versions, but they later took those down and cancelled my two preorders. You might be able to get these cheaper with a Newegg preorder discount though.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that sucks. I would have bought on launch @ $30, but once I play the waiting game on a price, I wait for $20 or under.

Just got a press release from Atlus about the game:
Dragon's Crown, the long-awaited 2-D hack and slash, beat 'em up action game from Vanillaware and ATLUS will have players bludgeoning, cleaving, shooting and looting their way through intricate side-scrolling dungeons this summer. Dragon's Crown will be available for PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita systems, and feature up to four-person cooperative play for adventurers to band together and conquer monsters, titans, and dragons in search of the ultimate treasure. Available this summer from major retailers and PlayStation®Network, more details will be available on the game's official site at: http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

Vanillaware, the company behind Odin Sphere and Muramasa: The Demon Blade, employs a 2-D visual flair and character design in Dragon's Crown that has become the studio's signature style. In Dragon's Crown, six powerful adventurers and their unique abilities are available for players to explore the fantastical world of Hydeland with:
  • The Fighter, who uses his armor and quick-hitting attacks to tank and destroy enemies
  • The Dwarf, who specializes in getting up close and personal with grapple attacks
  • The Amazon, who moves quickly and wields a giant axe to unleash massive damage
  • The Wizard, who blasts fire at single targets or in pillars to incinerate foes
  • The Elf, who uses her bow and agility to launch devastating volleys and escape danger
  • The Sorceress, who uses ice magic and summoned skeletons to control the battlefield

"Dragon's Crown is one of the most perfect games I've ever played," said Naoto Hiraoka, president and chief executive officer, Index Digital Media, Inc. "The amazing game design and artwork are among the best in any console generation, and the cooperative gameplay is highly addictive."

Groups of adventurers will be challenged in the labyrinthine dungeons surrounding the medieval fantasy kingdom of Hydeland. As they explore deeper into the dungeons, non-player characters such as Samuel the Adventurer's Guild leader and Lucain, the wizard come in to play with quests and tasks, which slowly unravel the story behind the ultimate treasure, the Dragon's Crown.

Dragon's Crown gameplay features:
  • Safety in numbers - It's not safe in the world of Hydeland, so it's best not to go it alone. Up to four players or AI compatriots can delve into dungeons simultaneously by using either the drop-in multiplayer on PlayStation 3 or via adhoc network on PlayStation Vita. Cross-platform play is not supported.
  • If it's not nailed down...- Expert thief NPC Rannie will join players on their adventures to pick locks, open treasure chests, reveal hidden passageways, and collect loot.
  • The skills to succeed - Massive skill tree options in Dragon's Crown allows for plenty of custom-tailoring, whether it's beefing up health or magic abilities or tweaking the abilities of the individual characters.

Dragon's Crown will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita systems for $49.99 and $39.99 respectively and is available for pre-orders now from major retailers. The game is expected to receive a T rating from the ESRB, but is not yet rated. More details about the game will be revealed in the future, with updates on the official Dragon's Crown website at: http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

Don't blame Atlus for the shitty practices of the previous publisher, who announced prices that were completely unrealistic for them to release at. This PS Blog post about Atlus taking over publishing duties confirms that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Don't blame Atlus for the shitty practices of the previous publisher, who announced prices that were completely unrealistic for them to release at. This PS Blog post about Atlus taking over publishing duties confirms that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but it would've been nice.

either the drop-in multiplayer on PlayStation 3 or via adhoc network on PlayStation Vita. Cross-platform play is not supported.

Double ouch.

I'm all in the PS3 for its exclusives but 50 bucks for a 2d side scroller? Isn't xbox live selling those for 15-20 price range? Casstle crashers or any of its xbox live greatest hits have anything comparable to this?

The release date has been announced:
Dragon's Crown, the 2-D action multiplayer beat 'em up from Vanillaware and ATLUS will officially arrive in North America on Aug. 6, 2013 as exclusives for the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita systems. The game's official website is also now live. New screenshots from the game are available to download here.

Dragon's Crown will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita systems for $49.99 and $39.99 respectively and is available for pre-orders now from major retailers. The game is expected to receive a T rating from the ESRB, but is not yet rated. More details about the game will be revealed in the future, with updates on the official Dragon's Crown website at: http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

Current pricing has killed my enthusiasm for this game. I get that they have to make a profit, and that's fine, but I have my own budget to consider and I can't justify dropping this much on this game (especially since ideally I'd like to have both versions). So I'll be waiting for a price drop on this one.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Great new article (preview) of Dragon's Crown on IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/dragons-crown-the-game-vita-and-ps3-deserves

Looks like I'll be getting both the PS3 and Vita versions when they release, this game is shaping up to be excellent! Now I just need to wait for Newegg to offer $10 off preorder promo codes so I can get these ordered.[/QUOTE]
You might want to update the title of the PS3 version of this thread since its title is ancient.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You might want to update the title of the PS3 version of this thread since its title is ancient.[/QUOTE]

Ugh! Thanks for the tip, I fixed it up a bit. Sorry I forgot to update that thread! :cry:

[quote name='handsomepete']Hello, Amazon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=08lUlDH_j6k[/QUOTE]

Did not notice the link was for Youtube and clicked in a hurry thinking there was some crazy sale price on Amazon :D

Growing up I had one friend that had a Saturn and we always use to play Guardian Heroes when I went over. Really glad that the RPG Hack N' Slash genre seems to be coming back as of late, brings me back to my childhood days of playing Guardian Heroes all night.

Incidentally, I just got my first Saturn a couple weeks ago and am now on the prowl for Guardian Heroes (and trying to resist the urge to open and play the Panzer Dragoon Saga I bought back in 1998)

I'm planning on getting a 3 pack of Dragon's Crown Vita with my b2g1 gcu coupon and some rz certs (to negate the tax).  If anyone wants to go in on one of the extra 2 send me a PM, should be 28.50 shipped.  First come first served, preferably have some cag feedback. 

So this is essentially a beat 'em up - is that right? Or is there more to it than that? Also the outfits on the female characters are ludicrous. LOL.

I'm planning on getting a 3 pack of Dragon's Crown Vita with my b2g1 gcu coupon and some rz certs (to negate the tax). If anyone wants to go in on one of the extra 2 send me a PM, should be 28.50 shipped. First come first served, preferably have some cag feedback.
That's a very generous offer handsomepete! Are your BB copies coming with the artbook? I read that BB would be getting it, but they never updated their product page to show that.

If it comes with the artbook, and if no one else wants one, I'm in for one. I don't want to take one away from another CAG who might not have ordered one yet, but I could handle an extra Vita copy. Just PM me if you need to move one!

Hadn't really thought much about this game until recently. Watched some gameplay vids and it looks pretty fun, just pre-ordered it for the Vita. Better late than never I suppose.

I see that. There is however ship to store options, for some stores, so you can probably have CS do it for you and still use the coupon as you originally intended.

The downside is the wait time.

New Patch Will Allow PS3 and PS Vita Cross Platform Multiplayer

One of the few flaws of Vanillaware’s Dragon’s Crown is that it didn’t allow cross platform gameplay between players using the PS3 and PS Vita version. Luckily, that’s going to change with the patch released today in Japan, and that will probably follow soon on the North American version. At long last we’ll be able to play with our friends regardless of the platform they’re using.

Here are the full patch notes.

Improved stability under certain circumstances.
Cross-play is now possible for co-op gameplay, matching players with the PS3 and PS vita versions.
It’s now possible to set a on/off toggle to protect items so that they’re not accidentally sold or discarded.
In the “Game Setting 2″ screen is now possible to toggle NPC joining on and off.
The behavior and effects of the skills of each class has been adjusted.
Conditions for matching in the Labyrinth of Chaos has been relaxed. Now it’s possible to join regardless of the number of rounds.
Other tweaks have been implemented in order to improve the system across the board and comfort of operation.

src

New Patch Will Allow PS3 and PS Vita Cross Platform Multiplayer

One of the few flaws of Vanillaware’s Dragon’s Crown is that it didn’t allow cross platform gameplay between players using the PS3 and PS Vita version. Luckily, that’s going to change with the patch released today in Japan, and that will probably follow soon on the North American version. At long last we’ll be able to play with our friends regardless of the platform they’re using.

Here are the full patch notes.

Improved stability under certain circumstances.
Cross-play is now possible for co-op gameplay, matching players with the PS3 and PS vita versions.
It’s now possible to set a on/off toggle to protect items so that they’re not accidentally sold or discarded.
In the “Game Setting 2″ screen is now possible to toggle NPC joining on and off.
The behavior and effects of the skills of each class has been adjusted.
Conditions for matching in the Labyrinth of Chaos has been relaxed. Now it’s possible to join regardless of the number of rounds.
Other tweaks have been implemented in order to improve the system across the board and comfort of operation.

src
Well that's some splendid ass news. Also, item protection toggle! Looks like I'll be jumping back in to try and get up to the labyrinth.

hoping for a sale on the Vita version soon. $30-40 is still too much for me when so many good games can be had for $20 or less.

Just picked this up during the sale. Anyone looknig to group up and play?
add me kilik123

Still havent really played this too much.

Oh and in case you didnt already know, you have to play for 3-5 hours before you unlock online play.

You can add me too, MildObstruction.  Just threw it back in the ol vita tonight.  I'll have to relearn what I'm doing but shouldn't take long.

man I need to play this more, forgot about it. Been playing origins and just got some sonic racing game.

Will put it back in the vita so ill play it since im pretty lazy about switching games out. 

Started up my second character last night trying to plow through the intro levels to get in to online play.  Man, it drags the second time around.  It really is amazing how different the characters play though - I went from a tankish dwarf to a squishy early level wizard so I guess it should feel different, but still.  

It's a good game.  I think I might be ready to be done with it, but at the very least I'm going to grind levels to get my dwarf to the end game - I'd like to see it.  29 levels until 99 feels like it's going to take a while...

"Dragon’s Crown Gets New Patch, “Ultimate” Difficulty, Raises Cap to Level 255, Opens New Dungeon"

Atlus just released a new patch of the PS3/PS Vita side scrolling JRPG Dragon’s Crown, bringing quite a few interesting new elements to the game. Here are the full patch notes:

[Bug Fix]
Improved operational stability under certain circumstances.

[Added Features]
If you clear the ninth level of the Labyrinth of Chaos you can now select the “ultimate”  level of difficulty at the temple.
When you’re playing on “ultimate” you can access the new automatically generated dungeon “Sky Road of Dreams.”
On “ultimate” difficulty the level cap has been raised from level 99 to level 255.
Both the up arrows and the L button can now be individually used as item shortcuts.
Damage can now be displayed as a total number.
Silhouettes can now be displayed on the foreground to improve visibility.
On a save game with a cleared game it’s possible to skip the initial phase of the story with new characters and start with the search for the talismans.
It’s possible to skip quests that have already been completed once.

[Operational Improvements]
Adjusted skill effects and actions for each class.
Adjusted behavior of NPCs.
Adjusted effects and rules of equipment and items in the Arena.
Made all round improvements to the system in order to enhance operability and ease of use.
That’s definitely a big patch, and those that loved the game like me will now have two and a half as many levels worth of progression. We’ll have to see just how nightmarish the new level of difficulty will be.

It’s worth mentioning that for the moment the patch has been released only in Japan, but Atlus USA is normally quite quick at localizing them.

Src

bread's done
Back