Skylanders $50, Buy 1, Get 1 40% Off 3DS/DS Games, 20% Off New Releases - Amazon DotW

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]25866[/IMG-R]Amazon Deals of the Week:

iconamazon.gif
Skylanders Starter Pack $49.99
:3ds: Buy 1, Get 1 40% Select 3DS & DS Games
iconamazon.gif
20% Off Select New Releases (WWE 12 $47 + $10 credit)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vulcan2422']So tempting for me. The one thing that kills it for me is all the add ons you have to buy.[/QUOTE]

The game's entire existence it built around getting the player to purchase more figurines, so just be fully aware of this before getting it for yourself or--more importantly--a child.

Can the figures store multiple profiles? I have two kids. If they use the same figure, will it track two separate proressions or will it just have one that they both share?

I know a lot of people hate on Skylanders but theyre pretty cool if you have kids (I imagine).

Toys R Us has a sale on the single character packs today also. 2 for $10. They're normally $8 each so not bad. They also have the $50 deal on the starter packs. So basically for the normal price of $70 you can get 4 free characters. Not a bad deal.

And stryffe I dont know but I doubt it.

I think sky landers is an excellent gift idea. Make nice and easy to get more figures for stocking stuffers or cheap gift ideas for others.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I know a lot of people hate on Skylanders but theyre pretty cool if you have kids.[/QUOTE]

I've heard/read nothing but love for Skylanders; but it's also supposed to be expertly designed to intrigue players to buy more figurines, a venture that can add up very quickly. My reason for posting this was more to make parents aware that they'll need to be prepared for purchase requests.

[quote name='AwRy108']I've heard/read nothing but love for Skylanders; but it's also supposed to be expertly designed to intrigue players to buy more figurines, a venture that can add up very quickly. My reason for posting this was more to make parents aware that they'll need to be prepared for purchase requests.[/QUOTE]

The game is definitely kid friendly. It is also very predatory, when it comes to purchases.
Imagine a single level that has one main path, and 3 side quests. You can always complete the main objective, but diverting to any of the side quests will require you to go buy another figurine.

Had they kept the current pricing of $50.00, plus $5.00 figurines (at Toys Rus until Wed), I think it would've been easier to swallow. But at $70, and $8.00 figurines, it's clearly greed on part of the publisher. This is specially true for any and all side quests (including those $20.00 ones), since the areas that are locked do not require you to play with the unlocking skylander. As a matter of fact, you'll find yourself switching back to another skylander to complete these locked areas.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Can the figures store multiple profiles? I have two kids. If they use the same figure, will it track two separate proressions or will it just have one that they both share?[/QUOTE]
No, each character is tied to each player

[quote name='AwRy108']I've heard/read nothing but love for Skylanders; but it's also supposed to be expertly designed to intrigue players to buy more figurines, a venture that can add up very quickly. My reason for posting this was more to make parents aware that they'll need to be prepared for purchase requests.[/QUOTE]
The whole "oh you need them all" has been blown out of proportion

The game has 8 classes, 3 come with the starter set and that leaves 5 more, so if you want to do all the game has to offer (besides special stages you can buy later) all you need is 5 figures.

Considering the price of DLC these days you're only paying 2 or 3 bucks for the figure itself which a lot of people say is worth it because they're pretty cool looking

[quote name='Jaysonguy']
The game has 8 classes, 3 come with the starter set and that leaves 5 more, so if you want to do all the game has to offer (besides special stages you can buy later) all you need is 5 figures.[/QUOTE]

Oh, now this is interesting--I could swallow buying the game at the current sale price if I only need to buy 5 more characters to see everything the game disc has to offer. Thanks for the info., you've managed to get me interested in this game now... then again, maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. LOL.

[quote name='AwRy108']Oh, now this is interesting--I could swallow buying the game at the current sale price if I only need to buy 5 more characters to see everything the game disc has to offer. Thanks for the info., you've managed to get me interested in this game now... then again, maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Yes, their are 8 elements in the game (Fire, water, Magic, etc), you only need to buy 5 more figures so you have one of each element (3 elements come included with game). Levels have side paths/quest, that are restricted to a figure of that element. Best thing about the game is it literally takes 2 seconds to change a figure on the fly with the portal.

[quote name='AwRy108']Oh, now this is interesting--I could swallow buying the game at the current sale price if I only need to buy 5 more characters to see everything the game disc has to offer. Thanks for the info., you've managed to get me interested in this game now... then again, maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. LOL.[/QUOTE]
No problem.

The classes/elements are broken down into 8 parts, fire, water, magic, tech, darkness, something else something else ........
The reason there's so many characters is because for each class you have different combat styles, one will be a defensive fire guy while one will be a melee fire guy while one will be a ranged fire guy.

I think the figures are cool and want to play but it's hard to find the specific Skylanders in my area. You can also bring the Skylander online to a website and play mini games to help your character, kinda like Pub Games for Fable.

You can ALLLMOST get all the figures for around $70 this coming week. There are 8 elemental classes of Skylanders. The starter pack comes with:

Magic
Tech
Water

The legendary 3-pack comes with Earth, Undead, (and another Magic). Another 3 pack comes with the Life, Fire, and (another Tech). So now youre at 9 figures total but 7/8 total elemental classes. This is where I stand, I need an Air Skylander. I'll be picking it up along with another that looks cool for $10 today at Toys R Us.

Hope that makes some sense. Just be warned, buying the figures is addicting..and they're releasing them in waves so not every one is out yet!

[quote name='thegame85']You can ALLLMOST get all the figures for around $70 this coming week. There are 9 elemental classes of Skylanders. The starter pack comes with:

Magic
Tech
Water

The legendary 3-pack comes with Earth, Undead, (and another Magic). Another 3 pack comes with the Life, Fire, and (another Tech). So now youre at 9 figures total but 7/8 total elemental classes. This is where I stand, I need an Air Skylander. I'll be picking it up along with another that looks cool for $10 today at Toys R Us.

Hope that makes some sense. Just be warned, buying the figures is addicting..and they're releasing them in waves so not every one is out yet![/QUOTE]

Well there's no deal until BF on the 3-packs; buying the single packs at 2/$10 will cost you $10 more to get the same amount of guys but a) you can pick and choose and get all the types and b) NO CROWDS ON BF. I'm heavily leaning toward that right now.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the starter set at amazon and my wife went to TRU and picked up 2 more for $10. My son is going to be stoked come Christmas morning. :)

Not bad for the Skylanders deal...

Toys R' Us had a slightly better deal just 2 weeks ago.

Basically it was buy a Starter Set get a Legendary Pack free with a $20 gift card, which you can use to buy an Adventure Pack which comes with a free Character Pack.

In other words, for just $69.99 you get:

+ Skylanders Starter Set ($70)
+ Legendary Pack ($20)
+ Adventure Pack ($20)
+ Character Pack ($8)

I price-matched the Target ad at Best Buy to get the exclusive volcanic vault piece.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Well there's no deal until BF on the 3-packs; buying the single packs at 2/$10 will cost you $10 more to get the same amount of guys but a) you can pick and choose and get all the types and b) NO CROWDS ON BF. I'm heavily leaning toward that right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to get the pirate and crypt packs online and skip the madness.

[quote name='salty tbone']I price-matched the Target ad at Best Buy to get the exclusive volcanic vault piece. [/QUOTE]

I price matched Target too but I picked this up day one, good thing I have silver status or it would have been a pain.

I also went to Target and pmed the TRU sale going on right now to get the new figures. I'm debating if I should get the 3DS pack, its a good price but I don't know if its going to drop further.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']You guys sound like super Pokemon nerds. lol[/QUOTE]

I was buying a couple figures at TRU today and a kid came up and said "Cool, Pokemon." A few seconds later he realized they were something else.

[quote name='skiizim']I also went to Target and pmed the TRU sale going on right now to get the new figures. I'm debating if I should get the 3DS pack, its a good price but I don't know if its going to drop further.[/QUOTE]

I'd bet they will get cheaper eventually. And since I bought the 3DS pack today, I'll actually guarantee it now. ;)

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Not bad for the Skylanders deal...

Toys R' Us had a slightly better deal just 2 weeks ago.

Basically it was buy a Starter Set get a Legendary Pack free with a $20 gift card, which you can use to buy an Adventure Pack which comes with a free Character Pack.

In other words, for just $69.99 you get:

+ Skylanders Starter Set ($70)
+ Legendary Pack ($20)
+ Adventure Pack ($20)
+ Character Pack ($8)[/QUOTE]
The only problem there is that the legendary pack doubled characters and classes and only one character is in an adventure pack so getting the Amazon deal plus 2 for 10 characters is the better deal if you want to maximize the ability to unlock all of the game.

If you are interested in Skylanders in even the slightest sense, I really wouldn't stress over the "need a full set to see the whole game" idea. The starter set has a good range of figures, and the game has a lot of content to see.

The areas that are locked out due to element type are small, they are more like bonus areas. Yes, it is nice to have 1 of each type to open these areas as you progress through the adventure, but it is NOT necessary. Also, you will most likely be replaying these zones so you can always add more Skylanders later to access them.

The game is really a lot of fun and makes for a solid coop experience. The fact that you can buy a new guy who plays completely differently for $8 is awesome, and adds a lot of replay value.

Lastly, I wouldn't stress over owning all the different guys atm. There are still figures that are unreleased, and some of those look much cooler. If you start slow, I think you will feel you get a lot of value out of an individual figure purchase each week or so.

Thanks to the (GS $2 Kinect Adventure---->BBV 5/29.99---->GS) deal on Saturday I spent around $15 bucks turned it into $170 and immediately bought a Skylanders starter pack, all three of the 3 packs of figures, the Pirates set, and grabbed Sonic Boom so I'd have one of all the elements. Total was $168 after tax. In total ended up with 14 figures and the PS3 game. I think my deal was way better then this one.

Seriously though, it's addicting, even after all this on Sunday I ended up at Target, to get Whirlwind, Walmart, to get Drill Sergeant, and TRU to get the Lengendaries, Darklight Crypt and single pack stragglers (Zap, Hex, Dino-Rang, and Wrecking Ball). That all cost me $76. Now I'm considering Amazon for the 3DS set but may just try the GS->BBV->GS chain again if it's still alive tomorrow. I've spent $100 after tax and gas, and I'm fine with that as I have 24 figures but without my flipping, if I paid for all of it out of pocket, it'd have cost $250 and another $50 to get the 3DS ones. $300 bucks with 10 more figures, around $100 more, to go. I can't imagine ever paying $400 on a single game but I bet when all is said and done I'll be out around $200 so no worse then an overpriced Collector's Edition and some DLC (Skyrim Anyone?)

I wouldn't say amazing, but there is something about the collectible aspect as well as it having decent hack and slash action. It's the Pokemon syndrome, I gotta collect em all. Soooo I snagged the 3ds version for ignitor

[quote name='bigant262']So how is Skylanders? I keep hearing its amazing, but haven't heard about gameplay. It looks something like Gauntlet to me.[/QUOTE]

It's very much like Gauntlet in that each stages are linear. There's only one way to finish the stage. Unlocking the bonus areas (with the correct Skylander element) usually only hold treasure boxes or hats (+stats to your Skylander).

But they do make each Skylander feel unique. Each Skylanders have two starting attacks/abilities, which keep things nice and simple. Throughout the game, as you level up your Skylander and collect coins on it, you can use the in-game coins to unlock new abilities.

But the highlight of the game might be the fact that the Skylander's progress is not saved on the console but rather the action figures themselves. Perhaps this is why the target audience for Skylanders is more towards kids (and adults who enjoy a simple co-op experience, like myself). Say your kid has an Xbox 360 version of Skylanders, and plays it at home. He can then also bring his own Skylanders over to his friend's house, who owns a PS3 version, and still use and level his own Skylanders.

Although Skylanders doesn't try anything exceptionally innovative in-game, but they did manage to bring together video gaming and action figure collecting (along with a bit of cross-platforming) very well. Overall, it's just a fun little game.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']You guys sound like super Pokemon nerds. lol[/QUOTE]

Skylanders is great because it's like playing real life pokemon, only the tall grass is really Toys R Us and you catch them by throwing money at them.

[quote name='soliddragon']I gotta collect em all. Soooo I snagged the 3ds version for ignitor[/QUOTE]

Ignitor isn't exclusive to the 3DS, only Dark Spyro. He should be out around 12/2 or so with a few others. I also caught a whisper of 2 more adventure packs (like the pirate ship) for an ice world and fire world.

Forgive me CAG, I'm not sure how it happened, but I just got bitten by the Skylanders bug. I know virtually nothing about the game itself, but today seems to be the day to get everything at Black Friday prices:

Amazon Starter pack $49.99 (or TRU.com)
TRU.com: single packs 2/$10

Only one discount per order. They seem to be confusing all of these discounts on their website and giving free shipping on the single packs. (showing the discount as "free starter pack shipping")

The only better deal will be TRU on BF B1G1free all packs, but that's really only saving $1 per figure on the singles. I personally didn't like any of the 3 packs, so I bought 4 singles (2x2 orders @ $5 each)

The two things that attracted me to this today was the 2-player co-op and, oddly enough, the fact that the base lights up the color of the element that you're currently playing as (so it seems).

So, to everyone complaining about a COLLECTIBLE game requiring you to buy more figures.... do you also complain that when you buy a game system it doesn't come with all the games, even though it can play all of them? Do you complain that if you want Star Wars or Transformers figures you don't get ALL of them for $7? Give me a break people.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']So, to everyone complaining about a COLLECTIBLE game requiring you to buy more figures.... do you also complain that when you buy a game system it doesn't come with all the games, even though it can play all of them? Do you complain that if you want Star Wars or Transformers figures you don't get ALL of them for $7? Give me a break people.[/QUOTE]

Your argument is so ridiculous that I'm getting a headache just thinking about how to reply.

If you like the game, play it. The original prices are insane. If you're interested, buy it now with all the discounts going around.

If you want to, buy them all...otherwise, as others have mentioned you really only need about 8 to see the entire game.

any difference between the versions? Particularly the ps3 or xbox version? I was thinking of snagging this for my Niece (shes turning 6 nxt month) and was wondering what version to get. I'll probably play it a bit too... it doesn't seem to graphically intensive, but i was wondering if there are any. Also if there are any content or gameplay differences between the versions.

If there are no differences at all then im not sure.. maybe the 360 controller would be easier for her tiny hands?

I also have a wii but im assuming the PS3 or 360 one is better than that version

[quote name='Kenshindono']any difference between the versions? Particularly the ps3 or xbox version? I was thinking of snagging this for my Niece (shes turning 6 nxt month) and was wondering what version to get. I'll probably play it a bit too... it doesn't seem to graphically intensive, but i was wondering if there are any. Also if there are any content or gameplay differences between the versions.

If there are no differences at all then im not sure.. maybe the 360 controller would be easier for her tiny hands?

I also have a wii but im assuming the PS3 or 360 one is better than that version[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, all console versions of Skylanders plays out the same in all versions; no console exclusives (thank god or else people who owns multiple consoles would be collecting starter sets, too!).

When you're comparing the Wii version to the 360/PS3, you can see some obvious visual differences. I'm speaking from personal experience as I've seen a stage played out on the 360, and then comparing it with my Wii. But when it's PS3/360, I'm sure it's about the same (or very little differences in terms of graphics). So, you really can't go wrong with either version.

can you use the pad and figures cross platform? or do you have to use the 360 one with 360 and ps3 with ps3 only?

thanks for the info immanewb. Sounds like theres no visual differences, and no figure or gameplay difference. SO i guess its down to which controller would work best

[quote name='Kenshindono']can you use the pad and figures cross platform? or do you have to use the 360 one with 360 and ps3 with ps3 only?
[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9087692&postcount=34 --- The figures definitely work across versions. I mean, you don't see them selling figures with console branding, do you? But as Immanewb below points out, each version of the game comes with its own portal to connect to the figures.

And you can check some reviews.

The pads? You mean the "Portal of Power?" :lol: But in all seriousness, I don't think so. Under my portal, it says "Portal of Power for the Wii." But each starter set for each console has its own game and Portal of Power, so I see no issues here.

The figures themselves are not tied to any console. So, yes.. you can say they're "cross-platforming". That's perhaps their greatest selling point: being able to carry one Skylander's from one to another console.

Since you're purchasing for your six-year old niece, I suggest you get her a few more Skylanders (maybe as stocking stuffers?). While you are able to beat the game with the three in the starter pack, but if any happened to die during a stage, they won't be able to be used again until a new stage or a stage restart. Once the stages get harder (ie: enemies hit harder), it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few as backups.

Mario has been added to the sale.

Anyone think I could get it and Ace Combat cheaper if I wait? They're both almost brand new releases though so maybe this is as low as they'll get.

i would get the x-box version just because the Portal is wired so you dont need to have batteries.

while the ps3 version is wireless, so you will need to replace batteries every 15 hours or so.

bread's done
Back