Target Black Wii w/New Super Mario Bros and Skyward Sword $150

[quote name='Asamiya']Is this the Wii line that wont have Gamecube/backwards compatibility?[/QUOTE]

Yep. If it was the console with BC, I'd have been doing some pre- Black Friday waiting outside of the store to get it today.

[quote name='Asamiya']Is this the Wii line that wont have Gamecube/backwards compatibility?[/QUOTE]Any of the bundle-packed Wii systems that have NSMB Wii + SMB soundtrack packed in are the non-GC-BC Wii systems.

[quote name='Goodfella2487']Still too expensive. $59 or bust for the bundle plz.[/QUOTE]

a true cheapass right there.

For me, I'm waiting for the Wii U

Posted this in the Sunday Ad post>

Just got back from Best Buy. Price matched the WII bundle w/ free Skyward Sword from Target and the $10 GC printed also for Skyward Sword. Excellent deal

As much as I want to play the new Zelda, I'm going to stick with my PS3 backlog (including Skyrim) for now in the hope that Skyward Sword HD will be part of the WiiU lineup next year. Great deal for those who haven't played Wii much yet.

How's this for ultimate cheapass gamer.

I saw that this sale was going on. I live in PA, right near the Delaware border. Crossed into Delware where there is no sales tax. Grabbed the last wii this morning @ 10am and Zelda. Used my 5% redcard and got the console and game for $142.50

For a brief second I actually considered buying a Wii. Then I remembered I'd never play it a la gamecube.

Nintendo is dead to me. :\

[quote name='stormrage360']How's this for ultimate cheapass gamer.

I saw that this sale was going on. I live in PA, right near the Delaware border. Crossed into Delware where there is no sales tax. Grabbed the last wii this morning @ 10am and Zelda. Used my 5% redcard and got the console and game for $142.50[/QUOTE]
An ultimate cheapass would hijack the truck =\

No way would I want a wii without gamecube support. I use my gamecube controllers for mario kart, brawl, and goldeneye and enjoy rumble something the classic controllers don't have. Oh, and played freedom fighters 3 player on my hdtv on wii really showed how good gamecube games look on wii and they load super fast. Dumb move nintendo and these type of moves is leading to your slow demise along with taking years to come out with AAA titles. If naughty dog can produce a game like uncharted 3 every couple of years then surely nintendo you can make a good mario game for wii every year even if it's 2d that's ok by me.

So which is the latest Wii package that IS bc? Traded mine a long time ago (it was one that was bc), so I'm in the market to buy one again.

[quote name='foreverjoe20']So which is the latest Wii package that IS bc? Traded mine a long time ago (it was one that was bc), so I'm in the market to buy one again.[/QUOTE]

I believe you want to look for mario kart bundles...I think that was the last bundle before the current non-backward compatible one was came out.

I just got this bundled deal which is pretty awesome. I'm looking at my receipt and it shows Zelda as being 49.99 but if I were to return it, the refund value shows 37.49. I'm actually thinking about taking it back and "upgrading" and paying the difference for the bundled controller version depending on if any stores in my area have it. Has anybody tried this or can any target employee on this board give a word of advice? Furthermore, since I'm thinking of exchanging it and not returning it, will I get the full value credit of the game or still get the $37 and change mentioned on the receipt? Just a thought guys. Thanks for your opinions.

I'd like to know as well. In need of a new Wii system, I already picked up the gold Zelda version already so dont need a second copy but if I could get the credit back as the other guy mentioned ($50 or even $37) that would be great.

I have a GameCube, and the lack of BC on this new Wii still makes it seem like a deal-breaker for me for some reason. I don't know why though; I don't think the BC Wii's actually do anything special for GC games (unless they actually run faster/smoother?). Do GC controllers work with BC Wii's and not these new ones?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I have a GameCube, and the lack of BC on this new Wii still makes it seem like a deal-breaker for me for some reason. I don't know why though; I don't think the BC Wii's actually do anything special for GC games (unless they actually run faster/smoother?). Do GC controllers work with BC Wii's and not these new ones?[/QUOTE]

The only benefit to playing GameCube games on the Wii is that you can buy component cables for the Wii and run certain GameCube games in 480p, instead of hunting down the super-expensive GameCube component cables.

Also, if I recall correctly, this new model of Wii got rid of the GameCube controller ports, too.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I have a GameCube, and the lack of BC on this new Wii still makes it seem like a deal-breaker for me for some reason. I don't know why though; I don't think the BC Wii's actually do anything special for GC games (unless they actually run faster/smoother?). Do GC controllers work with BC Wii's and not these new ones?[/QUOTE]

I still have my launch day gamecube as well hooked up in a seperate room from my wii. Big advantage to me for the BC wii is the fact that lots of wii games support the gamecube controllers with rumble. This is the only way to play games like mario kart wii and brawl with force feedback. Also played goldeneye on my wii other day with friends using gamecube controllers and it was awesome. I just can't believe people would even want to buy these new wii's without the gamecube controller ports because they will soon discover they will have to spend money for classic controllers which have no rumble. Also they are aggravating as heck to use to me because I have to lay the wiimote in my lap when using the classic controller and keep it from falling in the recliner. This is a crippled wii and like I read from someone else it's really not even a wii because the wii was suppose to be backwards compatible with all previous nintendo home consoles. It's a load of crap and I hope they sell terrible showing nintendo that they should not pull a stunt like this ever again.

Great deal but i wish it covered Mario Kart bundles.

I got one last month when it was $135+$20 GC and i was saving it for BF but I can safely open it now that i know there will be no deals on a BC unit.

[quote name='Hao']
Also, if I recall correctly, this new model of Wii got rid of the GameCube controller ports, too.[/QUOTE]

Yep, no GC controller ports.

[quote name='Hao']The only benefit to playing GameCube games on the Wii is that you can buy component cables for the Wii and run certain GameCube games in 480p, instead of hunting down the super-expensive GameCube component cables.

Also, if I recall correctly, this new model of Wii got rid of the GameCube controller ports, too.[/QUOTE]

I thought the Component Cables were the same for the Cube and the Wii?

Getting rid of the GC controller ports is the biggest issue to me. :whistle2:(

EDIT: Don't take that as me hating on motion controls, because I like them for the most part. But games like SSBB need that option!

Great deal for those who don't care about GC compatibility or using GC controllers. I'd probably jump on it if I were in the market for my first Wii, since I still own my original GC.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I thought the Component Cables were the same for the Cube and the Wii?[/QUOTE]
The GameCube had a proprietary component cable. You can use 3rd party component cables on the Wii, which makes it a cheaper option if you're looking to play both Gamecube and Wii games in 480p.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just picked this up in store. Good deal and don't care about playin GameCube games.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised more people aren't like you, I'm always surprised how many people are hung up on backwards compatibility, if you have the old games you probably still have the old system right ? My GC is still hooked up, its tiny and takes up no room on my table. Plus as far as the controllers are concerned, amazon regularly has classic controllers for wii for $15, sometimes less, so maybe its not as large a savings as you think to hang onto your GC controllers

[quote name='sneezebu']Great deal but i wish it covered Mario Kart bundles.

I got one last month when it was $135+$20 GC and i was saving it for BF but I can safely open it now that i know there will be no deals on a BC unit.[/QUOTE]

yea, im thinking i should swing by walmart and pick up the mario kart bundle before it gets impossible to find since it doesnt look like there will be deals on an older model this friday

[quote name='thedragon']I'm always surprised how many people are hung up on backwards compatibility. . .[/QUOTE]

I don't think that people are so much caught up by the backwards compatibility as they are upset that previous Wii systems supported Gamecube games, controllers, memory cards, etc., and current Will systems do no, for the same money.

Thus, anyone buying the new Wii system today will pay the same money as someone did six months ago but get a lot less functionality. It's sort of like a price increase in that the manufacturer gives you less product for the same price.

Grocery store products do this all the time by selling you less food in the same size packaging for the same price. The consumer gets less food for the same money but the manufacturer makes more money. It's a ripoff.

this is back in stock if you missed it the first time. just bought one. sells with 8 dollar shipping, 10 dollar tax.

[quote name='thedragon']I'm surprised more people aren't like you, I'm always surprised how many people are hung up on backwards compatibility, if you have the old games you probably still have the old system right ? My GC is still hooked up, its tiny and takes up no room on my table. Plus as far as the controllers are concerned, amazon regularly has classic controllers for wii for $15, sometimes less, so maybe its not as large a savings as you think to hang onto your GC controllers[/QUOTE]

Well the classic controllers don't compare to gamecube controllers because first of all you have to plug the classic controller into wiimote which in and of itself is a aggravating. Then you don't get rumble and are using up batteries as well where as if you use the gamecube controller you get it all. So nice having my jan 2007 wii sitting here with 4 gamecube controllers plugged in ready to go for a bout of mario kart wii, brawl, or goldeneye to mention a few.

[quote name='Bubbamel']Oos again.

Edit: Back in stock as of 2:51pm eastern.[/QUOTE]

This is valid in store as well. So it's never really out of stock technically.

For those that got this in-store, did you have to grab the console and Zelda separately and have them ring up together or are they physically attached some how?

I'm wondering if this deal works with the black BC Mario Kart bundle in-store. Target's website does show Zelda bundled with the white BC Mario Kart bundle.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Getting rid of the GC controller ports is the biggest issue to me. :whistle2:(

EDIT: Don't take that as me hating on motion controls, because I like them for the most part. But games like SSBB need that option![/QUOTE]

Most of them probably support the classic controller I'd think. I found a white classic controller pro on clearance for $12.99 at Best Buy.

I really only want to play Zelda, NSMB, Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn and maybe a couple more Wii games I missed out on after selling my launch Wii in 2008, so it's moot for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back