The Tea Drinkers Thread

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Wet Ninja

Wet Ninja

Cheaping from the shadows

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, one of the dumbest things you can do as a regular tea drinker is to let friends and family find out. You will receive a lot of shitty flavored teas around the holidays if you don't nip it in the bud. (Unintentional tea pun. BOOYAH.)

Nice!

Speaking of nipping it in the bud, I planted a tea bush two springs ago. I've been giving it a chance to settle in and grow out a bit, but I might try harvesting some this spring/summer. I'll probably try making green and black tea. My region (Virginia) isn't the ideal tea-growing climate, but the bush seems to be surviving, so maybe it'll work. I'm not expecting it to be stellar; I'm just shooting for decent.

#32 bkjohns1

bkjohns1

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

I am getting a free tea sample from http://buschtribe.bu...ibe/?idRef=2181 Busch Tea Tribe for signing up to their website. It is a loose leaf tea meant to go through a twelve cup coffee maker.

bkjohns1.pngsig.gif
My goal for 2012 was to fund my gaming habit through reward sites which still continues on into 2014. You can read about my "journey" here.

#33 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I forgot about this thread. To those who read, I'll say it again: if you at all dig tea beyond "arbitrary morning beverage," you owe it to yourself to use loose leaf and get the full experience.

Once you make the switch to loose leaf tea (and learn how to prepare it correctly), you will never taste bagged tea the same way and may possibly never return to drinking bagged tea. If you've got questions, post them here!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hmm, I am pretty content with bagged tea. I tried loose leaf tea for awhile, I tried different varieties and vendors. I even got raped by the tea salesmen at Teavana in the mall once - $60 for a bag of tea leaves? Weed is cheaper. A coworker gave me a tea steeper and it became incredibly tedious to make a cup of tea. There are so many bagged varieties and they're much simpler to make.

I also am a huge Sweet Tea fanatic.

#35 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

The best hot tea I ever had was masala tea. Damn that was good, I've never been able to make it right myself unfortunately. Think they used milk and sugar to some extent in it. I'm sure the stuff they used was better than the premixed bag of stuff I bought from World Market too.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#36 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I even got raped by the tea salesmen at Teavana in the mall once - $60 for a bag of tea leaves? Weed is cheaper. A coworker gave me a tea steeper and it became incredibly tedious to make a cup of tea.

A big issue in bold. Stay away from that shithole. Flavored tea is not tea, it's kool-aid. And all the stupid trinkets and bullshit...Teavana is bad bad bad.

It takes a little more time to make a cup with loose leaf, that's true. The flavor makes up for it.

I've spent $60 total on tea in the past 4-6 months. And I drink a lot of tea. I re-steep the teas that stand up to re-steeping (another advantage of loose over bagged -- no re-steeping with bagged), so that saves a little. I wouldn't argue that loose leaf is cheaper than bagged, but if you're drinking "good" bagged teas to begin with, the expense isn't so much extra that you'd notice. As with the extra time for preparation, the extra expense is easily overcome by the extra flavor.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

yeah tea!

i usually drink sencha (japanese green tea) in the morning. 2 or 3 cups, same leaves resteeped. sometimes i get really active and crave top quality shincha but usually i'm lazy and just get the stuff at the japanese store.

hojicha is great after meals.

i like white tea (silver needles) by itself but because it has a bit of sweetness i don't like drinking it with foods.

it's been a long time since i've had chinese greens. i want to try them again. like longjing.

to make looseleaf tea the greatest thing i ever bought was this:
http://www.amazon.co...37194785&sr=8-3

however i got a friend with an employee discount to buy it for me so it only cost me $40. it makes looseleaf tea practically instant.

as for filters and teapots just buy one with a filter built into the teapot.
http://www.tokoname....apot/teapot.htm

or you can use a coffee press.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#38 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Dothog I have to be honest and say I like a flavor or two of Rishi that is loose and flavored.
Oh and heads up, while loose is clearly cheaper Costco as of late has a 96 bag pack from Numi with two brands, Breakfast Blend and Earl Grey. Both are pretty basic. If you are just going somewhere and just want to have a packet or two on hand.
My preferred teas are Green and Oolong. Black isn't bad either.

I have to say I definitely like Matcha though I've heard a friend complain that it was too bitter for her. I've had it a few times in plane flight to Japan and quite liked it.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#39 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

as a beverage i drink (both hot and cold)
black
green
jasmine
chrysanthemum
oolong
jasmine green

and as a coffee replacement/ high caffeine substitute (i freelance overnight)

fast lane black tea by celestial seasonings
morning thunder black tea w/ mate by celestial seasonings

no sugar, no honey, just water/ice.
oh yeah, when i worked in a coffee shop there was this amazing rainforest tropical fruit tea but i forgot the brand. i <3 tea, its the only beverage i drink besides water.
my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#40 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

You want something to keep you up technical drink "Marakesh Express" by Celestial Seasonings. 5 Hour Energy is garbage to me and never worked well while "Marakesh Express" actually had a prolonged effect for me.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#41 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

cool thx for the tip. ill have to finish my cases of fast lane and morning thunder first but i'll give it a try. i am pretty in love with fast lane though.

You want something to keep you up technical drink "Marakesh Express" by Celestial Seasonings. 5 Hour Energy is garbage to me and never worked well while "Marakesh Express" actually had a prolonged effect for me.

my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#42 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

as for filters and teapots just buy one with a filter built into the teapot.
http://www.tokoname....apot/teapot.htm

or you can use a coffee press.

I used to use a french press, but one thing I didn't like about it was the cleanup. I use a teapot with a large (for the pot's size) mesh basket that usually lets the leaf expand adequately. However, I'd rather not risk restraining the steep at all, and in that sense I really like those pots in your link.

However, as with the french press, they seem like they might be messy to clean up. Scooping the used leaf out is one thing, but I'm mainly thinking of the wire mesh. I'm having a tough time finding them online to buy, too. Any tips?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Tea drinker here. I stick with Chai or Green Tea. I can't find any of the fancy teas anywhere. Does Trader joes sell any exotic tea? I usually stick with the tea bags they sell in the store, but I also got conned into buying raw ? tea that you use a scooper to make that looks like weed. :lol: Excuse me, but I'm pretty ignorant about tea.

Trader Joe tea is truly the worst.

I don't have the best taste in tea (I stick mostly to constant comment and Tazo Chai) but I was shocked at how bitter and tasteless the tea at TJ turned out to be. In particular, their green tea is really really bad, it's the worst I have ever had.

#44 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Trader Joe tea is truly the worst.

I don't have the best taste in tea (I stick mostly to constant comment and Tazo Chai) but I was shocked at how bitter and tasteless the tea at TJ turned out to be. In particular, their green tea is really really bad, it's the worst I have ever had.

I use their Black Mango Tea for summer iced tea. It's as good as or better than the other mango-flavored black teas I've used.

I'll grant that I'm not too picky, because it's iced tea and anything bagged and strong is good enough, but I wouldn't call it The Worst. Seems like this is a YMMV deal.
Posted ImagePosted Image