Photo
- - - - -

The OFFICIAL Target Clearance Thread XIX (NINETEEN!) WIKIFIED!!!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4741 replies to this topic

#3811 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Now we know why Blockbuster went out of business. Good job dude!

Except that Blockbuster rarely gives refunds on games, at least pre-owned titles, so that theory isn't exactly sound.:razz: If anything, the reason Blockbuster is failing is because they didn't adapt to changing times. If I remember correctly, they even had a chance to buy either RedBox or Netflix at one point. They turned down that idea.:lol:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#3812 karamsoul

karamsoul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Picked up two copies of :360: Split Second for $1.88 at Alpharetta, GA store, last ones there. Bought Blur when both games came out, guess I'll give this a go, especially for that price!

Dude, Alpharetta, GA is where I live as well! Are you talking about the Super Target on Holcomb Bridge Road? If so, was there anything else there worth grabbing? Let's work together, CAGmate!

I'm kind of a big deal...

#3813 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Except that Blockbuster rarely gives refunds on games, at least pre-owned titles, so that theory isn't exactly sound.:razz: If anything, the reason Blockbuster is failing is because they didn't adapt to changing times. If I remember correctly, they even had a chance to buy either RedBox or Netflix at one point. They turned down that idea.:lol:

Blockbuster is going out of business because of horrible management. I really don't want them to go belly up because I have a relative who works there, but last time I bought a video game from them it was a horrible experience. Disc was laser burned and wouldn't play, went in for an exchange and the manager refused. She said she had other copies but they were scratched worse than the copy I had. I tried to explain to her that scratches and laser burn were different and I would take a scratched copy so long as it was playable or even repairable, but she still refused and then just offered me an exchange for her choice of really awful games.

I asked her for her district manager's info and she started yelling at me and threatened to call the police if I didn't leave immediately. So yeah, not a good way to treat a guy who bought 6 used games from you the day before.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3814 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Blockbuster is going out of business because of horrible management. I really don't want them to go belly up because I have a relative who works there, but last time I bought a video game from them it was a horrible experience. Disc was laser burned and wouldn't play, went in for an exchange and the manager refused. She said she had other copies but they were scratched worse than the copy I had. I tried to explain to her that scratches and laser burn were different and I would take a scratched copy so long as it was playable or even repairable, but she still refused and then just offered me an exchange for her choice of really awful games.

I asked her for her district manager's info and she started yelling at me and threatened to call the police if I didn't leave immediately. So yeah, not a good way to treat a guy who bought 6 used games from you the day before.

My closest store was awesome this last time they did either their BOGO sale or that 3/$15 5/$30 on pre-owned games(and movies). I snapped up so many games last fall from that dealie and I even had the one manager do the one thing I used to bitch about others doing during the old Hollywood Video $5 game sales(hold stuff for me).

I had him holding about 20 games at my closest store for me.;) Luckily the employees at that store were all long time employees, so they got to know me from so many of the sales. Usually thanks to Hawaiiboy I would know when a sale was gonna start before they did.:lol:

But that experience you had was just wrong, plain and simple. Their own policy is to give an exchange if a game doesn't work. But maybe people had been abusing that policy for stuff they knew that they didn't have anymore of in stock to swap out for? Although I know some managers get a lil power crazy when they reach that level, so that coulda been it too. But I'm leaning towards them having had a bunch of abuse of the exchange policy for her attitude.

Posted Image

#3815 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

My closest store was awesome this last time they did either their BOGO sale or that 3/$15 5/$30 on pre-owned games(and movies). I snapped up so many games last fall from that dealie and I even had the one manager do the one thing I used to bitch about others doing during the old Hollywood Video $5 game sales(hold stuff for me).

I had him holding about 20 games at my closest store for me.;) Luckily the employees at that store were all long time employees, so they got to know me from so many of the sales. Usually thanks to Hawaiiboy I would know when a sale was gonna start before they did.:lol:

But that experience you had was just wrong, plain and simple. Their own policy is to give an exchange if a game doesn't work. But maybe people had been abusing that policy for stuff they knew that they didn't have anymore of in stock to swap out for? Although I know some managers get a lil power crazy when they reach that level, so that coulda been it too. But I'm leaning towards them having had a bunch of abuse of the exchange policy for her attitude.

That is a possibility, but she shouldn't be taking it out on random customers who have nothing to do with it. I actually had to go to another blockbuster and explained the situation and they were nice enough to offer me an exchange for the same game even though they weren't required to. (At least I was told the policy was you could only exchange at the store you bought it from).

I was actually the most offended by being threatened with the police for asking a question. I could understand if I was being inappropriate or even raising my voice, but I wasn't. At least let me do something unruly if you are going to threaten the police. Corporate was completely useless when I called them to complain too. They wouldn't even promise to relay the complaint to her supervisor for me.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3816 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Picked up two copies of :360: Split Second for $1.88 at Alpharetta, GA store, last ones there. Bought Blur when both games came out, guess I'll give this a go, especially for that price!

#3817 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Most of the Blockbuster locations here were really good, I only know of one location left after the closings though. They were pretty impressive when I looked at their games, ALL of their games were complete, they held manuals behind the counter and their prices were lower than gamestop on almost every single game. They would also have killer accessory clearances from time to time.

#3818 MochaRaf

MochaRaf

I Come Here Often...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Now we know why Blockbuster went out of business. Good job dude!

I actually rarely buy per-owned games, I was simply relaying the message that the GameStop rep told me. I even asked him if that was good for business, and he told me that GameStop encourages people to so call "rent" the games for free in order to try them out.

#3819 derrtaysouth95

derrtaysouth95

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

Went by the local tonight. Nothing new. Had less than when I was there a few days ago.

I've noticed they have started to put the "as is" and "online item" stickers directly over the barcode on the games and they are not being 'double stacked'. This is so when you scan the game only that price comes up not the most recent price. And by double stack I mean they aren't placing multiple stickers on them.

#3820 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

I don't think that the Online Item and As-Is items EVER drop in price like the normal clearance items do. Although I have noticed that the online items are usually very cheap as it is. I was tempted to buy a couple online only items from Target.com, return them in store and then hope like hell they dropped them 50-70% like I've seen with other online items there.:D

Posted Image

#3821 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

Somebody bought the huge stack of Homefront guides in my local target when I checked today during lunch.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#3822 ratandjmt

ratandjmt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

The Grand Forks ND Target had nothing again yesterday.

The store recently remodeled the movie and game section with the low shelf's. When they did the update they completely got rid of their end cap of clearance. :cry:
PSN: ratandjmt

#3823 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Stoppage Time GOOOOAAALL!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

I can't remember the exact date on the sign but it's on Temporary Price Cut, which usually last more than a week. I think it had started at the end of April and it may go till May 26ish (pretty sure it ended in May and it would be at the end of the week). I've been debating grabbing it because my fiance is a huge Jurassic Park fan. Anyone have any input on the game?

My friend on XBL said it is pretty good if you like the normal telltale game formula. Since it is pretty cheap, might as well give it a shot.

Thanks for the limited sale heads up:applause:

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#3824 Link927

Link927

Work In Progress

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

I don't think that the Online Item and As-Is items EVER drop in price like the normal clearance items do. Although I have noticed that the online items are usually very cheap as it is. I was tempted to buy a couple online only items from Target.com, return them in store and then hope like hell they dropped them 50-70% like I've seen with other online items there.:D

My Target is never very generous with online items, never more than 50%, usually around 20-30. Too bad since I've found some very nice items here and there.

Nothing to see here, move along!

#3825 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

I actually rarely buy per-owned games, I was simply relaying the message that the GameStop rep told me. I even asked him if that was good for business, and he told me that GameStop encourages people to so call "rent" the games for free in order to try them out.

Thats absurd. They may acknowledge it, but I doubt the big wigs at corporate would" encourage this practice.:roll:

If there is any amount of truth behind this employees' statement, you just gave me one more reason to NOT shop there. Yea, I want to buy a game that people just "rent" all the time for the exhorbitant prices on what their "used" games cost. Thats almost as bad as selling an unsealed game as "New".

#3826 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

I was just out that way last night, but I hit the one on 1960 near 249. Found absolutely nothing. The only video game was Titanic Mystery for Wii. If you make it by the Cypresswood location anytime soon, pick up Skate 3 and I'll be glad to meet you somewhere and take it off your hands.

I'll try, but I won't be heading out there again until next week. If I do drop by there and see it, I'll nab it and send you a PM.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#3827 derrtaysouth95

derrtaysouth95

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Thats absurd. They may acknowledge it, but I doubt the big wigs at corporate would" encourage this practice.:roll:

If there is any amount of truth behind this employees' statement, you just gave me one more reason to NOT shop there. Yea, I want to buy a game that people just "rent" all the time for the exhorbitant prices on what their "used" games cost. Thats almost as bad as selling an unsealed game as "New".

If true....very troubling.

I've never had a major issue with Gamestop.....but I've heard a lot of stuff about their business practices some of which I would deem questionable.

They have a bit of a lock on the market though. I don't want to say a monopoly because BB is making moves in the used game department. And the secondary market on Amazon and eBay is going good. Also, other stores are doing more as far as sales go taking further business from Gamestop.

I do know people who will only shop at Gamestop though. I'm not one of those....I want the lowest price.

#3828 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

If true....very troubling.

I've never had a major issue with Gamestop.....but I've heard a lot of stuff about their business practices some of which I would deem questionable.

They have a bit of a lock on the market though. I don't want to say a monopoly because BB is making moves in the used game department. And the secondary market on Amazon and eBay is going good. Also, other stores are doing more as far as sales go taking further business from Gamestop.

I do know people who will only shop at Gamestop though. I'm not one of those....I want the lowest price.

I have had many a problems there. One being that employees act like they know what I want when I go in. Don't mind trying to help a person out, but for the love of godzilla I don't want to pre order anything! But my biggest complaint is when I am buying a game and an employee tells me the game sucks. I didn't come in for an opinion about my purchase. There are so many issues with that company that I can't honestly think they would get another cent out of me again.

Those people who exclusively shop there are killing the industry. Its one thing for casual gamers to do that, but anyone who is old enough to remember the industry before gamestop should understand where I am coming from on that. And one could certainly point a finger at them concerning the rise of the online pass, just look at their used profits in the quarterly/yearly reports. I would say it is about as damn close to a monopoly as you can get in the states, with stores a mile or less away from each other and there domination in the market.

I know not everywhere might have stores like Half Price Books, Buybacks, or my favorite The Record Exchange. Supporting these stores gets you games cheaper 90% of the time. I honestly can't believe on a website called Cheap Ass Gamer that people would stand up and applaud for Gamestops Prices:roll:

#3829 sylveranking

sylveranking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Only times their prices are justifiably are during B2G1. Or on the occasional odd game (found that Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm was cheapest at GS). I mostly use GS now for flipping fodder, especially during the BBY sales (such as Batman: AC).

#3830 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

Decided to get Carnival Island after seeing it 800,000 times. 1 and only PS3 clearance game there!:hot: Wouldn't ring up, woman walked over, said it's salvage, would not look up the last price it sold for...but agreed to sell it for the $11.98

Carnival Island PS3 $11.98 207-24-0065

Panasonic Full HD 3D Ultimate Pack w/Avatar Blu-ray $174.97(was $349.95) 008-00-1479

Samsung Ultra Slim Wall-Mount $49.98(50% off) 008-00-1469

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#3831 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

The only thing with people who 'rent' from GS is that if they abuse it too much it'll lead to either a change in policy or at the least them being told they have to keep the current game they have and cannot return it(even if it is within the 7 day return period).

Posted Image

#3832 AllFrankedUp

AllFrankedUp

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

I'll try, but I won't be heading out there again until next week. If I do drop by there and see it, I'll nab it and send you a PM.

Appreciate it. I'll let you know if I pick it up first.

#3833 MochaRaf

MochaRaf

I Come Here Often...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

The only thing with people who 'rent' from GS is that if they abuse it too much it'll lead to either a change in policy or at the least them being told they have to keep the current game they have and cannot return it(even if it is within the 7 day return period).

That is if Corporate steps in. The store I went to, they really were trying to push me to buy the pre-owned version. I tried to explain to them that I really don't like buying used games, and usually just wait until I find a decent price drop for the game. Not exactly the best CAG mentality, but it is just a personal preference that I like buying games new and not used. The game I was looking at only had a $5 difference between new and used, which I even said that the price difference doesn't bother me that much. At that point they started telling me the benefits of buying it pre-owned, so if I didn't like it I would only get back 1/4 of my purchase price. However, if I bought pre-owned I would get 100% back of my purchase price. I was also told they have had a steady customer for the last 6 months that had never bought a single game, all he does is buy a pre-owned game and then return it. I was even told that for the longer games such as skyrim, he would return it and re-buy it so he can play for another 7 days.

At this point I asked how they are making money then, since he isn't actually buying any product from them. Perhaps this is an extreme case in a single store, but from what I was told by the employees ANY GameStop will allow you to do this. Or perhaps they are disgruntled GS employees who are trying to have people take advantage of their return policy, who knows.

#3834 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

My Target had 3 of the Uncharted blue DS3 bundles for $30 yesterday. Was very temtped but nobody was working in electronics - they were still in the display case w/ the other bundles - so I left them. For $15 I would have found somebody though. Maybe next week.

And I know this sin't the thread but they had 3 Kindle Fires, NOT labled as clearance, locked up in the display case.

#3835 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

our local target pulled all sales items off the shelf and said they will no longer be doing discount items... time will tell if that is real or not
WOOOO I STINK

#3836 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

That is if Corporate steps in. The store I went to, they really were trying to push me to buy the pre-owned version. I tried to explain to them that I really don't like buying used games, and usually just wait until I find a decent price drop for the game. Not exactly the best CAG mentality, but it is just a personal preference that I like buying games new and not used. The game I was looking at only had a $5 difference between new and used, which I even said that the price difference doesn't bother me that much. At that point they started telling me the benefits of buying it pre-owned, so if I didn't like it I would only get back 1/4 of my purchase price. However, if I bought pre-owned I would get 100% back of my purchase price. I was also told they have had a steady customer for the last 6 months that had never bought a single game, all he does is buy a pre-owned game and then return it. I was even told that for the longer games such as skyrim, he would return it and re-buy it so he can play for another 7 days.

At this point I asked how they are making money then, since he isn't actually buying any product from them. Perhaps this is an extreme case in a single store, but from what I was told by the employees ANY GameStop will allow you to do this. Or perhaps they are disgruntled GS employees who are trying to have people take advantage of their return policy, who knows.

That last part just sounds like a "business tactic" to push an over priced used game on you, which is where they make more money. The individual that was discussed would in my mind constitute abuse of this method for return.
I wonder though, if you buy a "new game" that isn't sealed and brought it back for a refund (using the same tactics for "renting" that is), how that would be argued. I mean its already opened when you bought it so how can they prove you played it?

#3837 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

our local target pulled all sales items off the shelf and said they will no longer be doing discount items... time will tell if that is real or not

as the virgin mary said quietly "come again"?:-#

#3838 ChadThyJuggla

ChadThyJuggla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

what does this even mean ?

#3839 karkyco

karkyco

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

I wonder though, if you buy a "new game" that isn't sealed and brought it back for a refund (using the same tactics for "renting" that is), how that would be argued. I mean its already opened when you bought it so how can they prove you played it?

In this scenario (at least in my experience with GS/EBGames et al.), they will usually put a clear, circular sticker on the case of the "newsed" game as a "new seal". Of course, what is to prevent anyone from simply lifting this sticker off of one side of the case, then re closing it with additional clear glue if necessary prior to returning it?

Worst I have ever experienced was when they attempted to sell me a "new" copy of a game in one of the generic GS cases because someone "had stolen the original case that was on display". Simply ridiculous.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#3840 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

That last part just sounds like a "business tactic" to push an over priced used game on you, which is where they make more money. The individual that was discussed would in my mind constitute abuse of this method for return.

"new games" have a sticker put on them and even if it isn't... they will just assume you removed it completely.

However I would believe this is a shady business tactic. I am sure plenty of people let the dates slip and you end up "buying it" instead of returning it. I can also tell you that the one time I returned a used game they made a huge deal of it. Though this is 100% based off the store. One time I returned a new Wii and they checked EVERY SINGLE LAST ASPECT of it and I seriously stood there for 20 minutes as the girl looked it over. After she refused it as new (what a bitch btw =.=), I went to another store and the guy just asked if I played it. He also did not open the box or put forth any effort so it could have been a Wii or some rocks and im sure he would have just taken my word.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.