Yakuza 5: First details

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

"More hardly surprising Yakuza 5 revelations have surfaced from Weekly Famitsu. In addition to the game's platform (PS3) and location (Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka), the magazine reveals that Kazuma Kiryu will be the main character.

Series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi hinted as much in interviews following the game's announcement, so this isn't too surprising.

The big question, of course, is if Kazuma will be alone. The past couple of console Yakuza games have had multiple playable main characters. In an interview with Famitsu this week, Nagoshi would not say if the game will have multiple main characters.

Here are some of the other bits from Famitsu's first look at the sequel:

• The game will have massive volume.
  • Nagoshi says that if likening the series to a house, 5 would be like building a new house rather than adding an extension to an existing house.
  • The five cities will be of scale at or beyond the previous Osaka (Dotonbori) and Okinawa (Ryukyu) locations.
  • Rather than seeking out hostesses to appear in the game, Sega will be traveling to the five cities to seek out girls who will serve as a cheering squad for the game. The girls will appear in commercials as well.
  • The game will have presentation improvements, including shortened load times, improved camerawork and better character expressions. The team is using some of the knowhow they gained from working on Binary Domain.
  • The game will also have improved technology to allow for seamless conversations and battles. Nagoshi says that you will be surprised with the result.
  • The story will connect directly with Yakuza 4. It will not carry over from the zombie-themed Yakuza Of the End.
  • Masayoshi Yokoyama is now a producer. On past Yakuza games, he worked on such areas as script and scenario.
  • Development is currently in an early phase. Famitsu lists the game as date TBA."
Andriasang.com

#2 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

Sounds good, especially the part about the new technology. Playing through Yakuza 4 now and the series has always felt archaic in regards to presentation (stiff/slow menus, slow character actions/interactivity outside of combat, battle load times).

And I hope we don't have to play as multiple characters in the next game. None of these characters are as fun as Kazuma.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#3 Dahk

Dahk

You Know Nothing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

I just started playing Yakuza 4 the other day. This is a great series and I will definitely purchase this when it comes out

Currently Playing
:ps3: Tales of Symphonia

DahkX.png

#4 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

I dunno if I'm going to take the plunge on 5 yet or not. I own 1-4 and am going to get Dead Souls next year, but I've never played any of them save for periods of about an hour or so because I haven't had enough time to give to one of them properly.

The last one I played for decent amount of time was Of the End JPN demo at my nephews. I mean I know what the series is like I just haven't explored enough knowledge to have a good feeling of what a complete Yakuza experience is like. I know I hang my head in shame for not playing any of them yet.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#5 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

The 5 main characters will be Kiryu, Saejima, Akiyama, Haruka, and newcomer Tatsuo Shinada. Currently the game is 70% complete and planned for release this December in Japan. No word yet on localization to US/EU.

Kiryu Taxi Driver Missions

Spoiler

Something happens between now and December 2012, leaving Yakuza series tough guy a taxi driver down in Fukuoka. We still don't know what puts Kazuma behind the wheel, but today Sega did provide screens and details showing how the taxi component figures into the game.

As we detailed a few weeks back, you'll be able to take on "missions" where you transport customers to their destination. Passengers will give you instructions, like drive safely, or drive as fast as possible, or follow that car!, and you'll have to do as told.

You'll also have to converse with passengers, counseling them in their problems. It also looks like Kazuma will encounter some tough clients, including drunks and criminals who try to rob him.

Kazuma will also get into race battles with a street gang called Devil Killer -- sometimes even during a transport mission! Your goal here is to outpace your rival, making use of drifts for fast cornering. As one would expect of a Yakuza game, you'll be able to make use of Heat Action moves to pull ahead of your rival.

The game also has a car customization component. You can set your car's body color stickers, tires, and even the music that plays during races.

More Screenshots/Source

#6 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

I love this series. It really is my favorite franchise on the Playastation. What I am really hoping for is a beefed up coliseum and a more in depth fighter trainer mode like we got in Yaluza 4. I love all that tournament stuff.
Follow me, @Calinks3 Twitter to talk Games, MMA, TV

#7 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

December for Japan, so that means if we do get a localization it will be in 2013. Guessing in the late summer at the earliest, so about a year from now.

Can't wait, still have to play through Yakuza 4. Also, have to get and play Dead Souls.

#8 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

For those that want to import like me, Yakuza 5 releases in Japan on December 6 for 8,800 yen. Until they announce a localization date, here are two new trailers that features the new engine, characters, modes/activities, and storyline (2nd video).

#9 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Sega CCO: No current plans for Yakuza 5 in the West

Sega Sammy CCO Toshihiro Nagoshi recently told Edge that the Yakuza development team is focusing on their Japan-exclusive PS3 and PS4 launch title, Yakuza Ishin, rather than localizing 2012's Yakuza 5 for Western audiences. Ishin is a spin-off set in the late Edo period in Japan and will feature some form of Vita Cross-Play.

Nagoshi explained that due to the Yakuza team's size, they decided to pass up working on a port of Y5 to focus solely on Ishin. Nagoshi feels that he and his team "owe it to PlayStation fans" for Ishin to be a PS4 launch title, "even if it means a bit of pressure."

Nagoshi expressed interest in localizing Ishin for other territories, provided the Yakuza team finds the manpower and money to do so. Yazuka: Dead Souls was the last game in the series to be launched outside of Japan.

Interview Source: Edge

#10 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm so glad Sega bought Atlus...wait no I'm not!

#11 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Still don't know what all they have to do other than translation. This was one of my favorite series this gen really sucks that we aren't getting it.

Kamagii.png

#12 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

This is disappointing, but I can wait for a port of Yakuza 5.  I would prefer it be on PS3 as I don't have any plans, on getting a Wii U (Japan got a port of Yakuza 1 and 2 HD) or a PS4 right at this moment.  My backlog will compensate for the wait.

#13 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

I'm so glad Sega bought Atlus...wait no I'm not!

Maybe Atlus will want to do the translation?

default.png2.png

#14 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Maybe Atlus will want to do the translation?

That's one of my hopes, that Atlus will convince or ask to take over some Sega titles for importing. But everyone is saying that Atlus USA is redundant to Sega of America, so Sega would likely shut down Atlus USA. It's all speculation but as far as officially known, only Atlus JPN is safe with the "Nothing will change here" comments.

Oh, and to pile on some bad news: Sega of America layoffs confirmed just today

http://www.joystiq.c...ber-of-layoffs/