Photo
- - - - -

OnLive 5 Day Sale - $1 Games, Free To Play Games, & 75% Off

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 ijustw1n

ijustw1n

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Guys, he had good intentions. Ease the Fuck up and be nicer.

#32 mikon

mikon

北斗百裂拳

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

Sounds like it would be good for running on a netbook or some other underpowered machines. Does anyone have some live (non-promo) screenshots? I imagine it would be like playing a game over a pixelated Real Video stream.

Also, how big is the client (MB) or does it just run in a browser?

#33 emnmnme

emnmnme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Sounds like it would be good for running on a netbook or some other underpowered machines. Does anyone have some live (non-promo) screenshots? I imagine it would be like playing a game over a pixelated Real Video stream.

Also, how big is the client (MB) or does it just run in a browser?

I bought Arkham City. The textures are muddy but keeping the resolution at 1024x768 helped things. It looks like you're playing on a standard-def television - no pixelated, not blurry, but not impressive, either. There was no lag in the controls, game loads up in ten seconds.

Client is something small like 8MB.

#34 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:55 AM

can you play local multiplayer? i have 2 laptops and would like to play a friend, also do you have to create multiple accountd and buy the same game twice?
Posted Image

#35 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

Just got an email from Onlive (streaming game service for those that don't know). They're having a sale for people NOT currently subscribing to their play-pass thing, as well as having never purchased a game thru them.

From now until the 28th, you can get ANY game in their catalog for $1! This includes a BUNCH of new release games, as well as some older titles. Highlights include:

Batman: Arkham City
Deus Ex: Augmented Edition (they also have regular version, but get this!)
LA Noire Complete
Borderlands GOTY (unsure if online works with Steam users)
Just Cause 2
Metro 2033
RAGE
Saints Row 3

Didn't see this posted, hope someone enjoys this.

Here's a link showing what I mean.

*Edit*

I guess there was already a thread, and someone moved my post to it! Thanks :D

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Hearthstone, Sam & Max S1E04; Spec Ops The Line

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#36 mikon

mikon

北斗百裂拳

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I bought Arkham City. The textures are muddy but keeping the resolution at 1024x768 helped things. It looks like you're playing on a standard-def television - no pixelated, not blurry, but not impressive, either. There was no lag in the controls, game loads up in ten seconds.

Client is something small like 8MB.

Thanks for the mini-review. I might give the free games a try to see what it looks like.

Found some unofficial screenshots:

http://i42.photobuck...scompressed.jpg

http://www.yannalet....s/2010/12/5.png

Edited by mikon, 24 November 2011 - 06:30 AM.

#37 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for this! Got Saints Row 3. ^^

#38 Grave_Addiction

Grave_Addiction

The Sega Nerd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

OnLive has been a great service for me. I probably have more than 20 games and have spent less than $150 since I became a member. I have a pretty decent internet connection, and I experience no lag whatsoever. It's true that the games don't look as good as they do if you're playing them locally, but after a couple minutes of playing, it's completely unnoticeable, in my opinion.

If you guys are joining the service for the $1 promotion, I think you should really consider also subscribing to the PlayPack. It's about $10 a month, and you get access to a ton of good games, but the other incentive is you also get 30% off of EVERY purchase you make, including new games or consoles. So that means you can get a newly released game for only $35, which saves you $15 from the get go. It actually pays for itself if you only make one new purchase a month.

OnLive has some really awesome new features upcoming, too. They're going to add a feature where you can have someone spectate your game, and if you're having some trouble with a particular level, you can give that person control of your game and let them beat it for you. That's such a fantastic idea and only one example of how OnLive is pushing innovation in the video game industry.

Follow me on Twitter @airforcewriter

Listen to The Bit Loaders Show here!

#39 SScorpio

SScorpio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

OnLive has some really awesome new features upcoming, too. They're going to add a feature where you can have someone spectate your game, and if you're having some trouble with a particular level, you can give that person control of your game and let them beat it for you. That's such a fantastic idea and only one example of how OnLive is pushing innovation in the video game industry.

They already have the spectate any game feature, but the giving control to someone is definitely new and cool. Another cool feature is that you can quit a game anywhere and pick up right where you stopped not worrying about a save point. This works when moving from a laptop to a microconsole or where ever you are playing the game from.

My only complaint with them is that the video looks bad. It is supposedly 720p, but I've seen let's play videos on YouTube that look better. Owning all of the console, and a high end PC I'm not really the target market. But the quality really hurts.

If you want to see what it looks like you can make an account for free. Then download the client which is 6MB or so and watch a few brag clips (another cool feature of 10secs of game play you can post for your friends or anyone to see), or just spectate someone. The video you are seeing is exactly what the service looks like for anyone playing. If you can put up with the graphics try out a game for 30mins and see if your connection has the lag issues some people report.

Overall it's a interesting service and where I see gaming move to. It will be hard to convince people to buy a Xbox 5XX or Playstation 5 if they can just subscribe to a service an play all the newest games right on their TVs. Onlive partnered with Vizio already, and I wouldn't be surprised to see other manufactures follow suit.

#40 mikon

mikon

北斗百裂拳

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Well, I just installed it to look at the video quality. It's pretty much what I thought. It looks like a medium quality youtube video. Definitely lower quality than a good hi-res capture. It really doesn't compare to running locally on a decent GPU.

I can see the potential though. If they can get the quality up it could be a serious alternative for a lot of people. For now, I probably wouldn't spend more than $5 on buying to "own" one of their games at the current quality of the service.

It's cool to be able to browse random gameplay with spectator mode and check out all the different titles.

#41 danh920

danh920

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

So I'm clear, there is no $1 game for existing customers? As in, no adding to my $1 Arkham asylum and .80 ac brotherhood?

#42 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Well, I just installed it to look at the video quality. It's pretty much what I thought. It looks like a medium quality youtube video. Definitely lower quality than a good hi-res capture. It really doesn't compare to running locally on a decent GPU.

I can see the potential though. If they can get the quality up it could be a serious alternative for a lot of people. For now, I probably wouldn't spend more than $5 on buying to "own" one of their games at the current quality of the service.

It's cool to be able to browse random gameplay with spectator mode and check out all the different titles.

This is 100% exactly how I feel about onlive, if they could improve the graphics quality it'd be a great service, but all it has going for it right now is potential and I wouldn't pay more than $5 for anything on the service, like you said. The spectator mode is really cool, and the new features they're adding are great, but they need to start focusing on the video/graphic quality too.

#43 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

I find it funny that people are complaining about a FREE service where you can demo any game for 30 minutes and that has frequent deals where you can score AAA games for a few bucks as well as grabbing old school PC games for dirt cheap.

So yea it has more then "potential." BTW the console is very good. I got it in a deal for free when I preordered war of the north.

Sure its not a high end PC but for those of us who don't have a high end pc its a pretty nice service especially if you want to play PC games.

Currently Amnesia is 7 bucks. Ghostbusters is 1.75. MLB 2k11 is 3.50. etc etc..

Tons of good deals. If you aren't a graphics junkie and can have fun with almost hd quality then go for it. I sure wouldn't pay 50 bucks for a game on there but seriously can you complain about a game for under 10 bucks?

PRO TIP: The bigger your TV the faster the connection you need. Also for the price of a new game you could grab the system on Ebay and just demo games all day.

Cool system and HOPEFULLY will only get better.
So anyways its got a lot going for it and signing up for the service doesn't even require a credit card I don't believe.

I'm a big steam fan but all I have these days is a netbook and even old school games don't run on it. So this is nice.

BTW Fallout (and 2 more fallout games in the future) just came out in the 9.99 a month playpack which, to me, at least seems to be a great deal considering the amount of games on there.

Anyways rant over get the console if you like the service its totally worth it.

Late edit. Wireless Mice and Keyboard (USB) work on this console as well and since all games have a PC equivalent its pretty nice to be able to use the M+K

#44 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

onlive really needs to make it possible to buy games on their website. whenever they have some sort of sale, I am away from my desktop and fast internet for a few days and so I cant even log into the client. I dont really care too much since I dont see myself even using the service. Still, they could easily make that one dollar from me if they had that feature.
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#45 Grave_Addiction

Grave_Addiction

The Sega Nerd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

onlive really needs to make it possible to buy games on their website. whenever they have some sort of sale, I am away from my desktop and fast internet for a few days and so I cant even log into the client. I dont really care too much since I dont see myself even using the service. Still, they could easily make that one dollar from me if they had that feature.

They actually just recently implemented the ability to purchase games from their website. You can also gift games to other people, too.

Follow me on Twitter @airforcewriter

Listen to The Bit Loaders Show here!

#46 jasonpaul

jasonpaul

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

Yes, but you can't gift games for $1.

#47 Jotamide

Jotamide

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yes, but you can't gift games for $1.

Exactly
Posted Image

#48 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

Just bought Saints Row 3 after playing the demo, and I have ZERO complaints. Those saying the video quality is equal to youtube vids on medium...I have no idea what videos you are referring to, because this looks phenomenal. At least as good as GTA4 running on PS3 (in HD).

Maybe darker games suffer more due to black crush / video compression, but the colorful graphics of SR3 look fine. That said, I was not impressed with how Amnesia or Metro 2033 looked when I tried them out earlier this year, and those are VERY shadow-heavy games.

Finally, my room-mate was playing the 15 minute demo of SR3 while I was driving around in my copy. Neither of us had ANY issue with video quality dropping, with two separate machines streaming the game.

Onlive has finally made me a believer, I will definitely be snagging more if anything I'm interested goes on sale.

*edit*

Also trying out the Homefront 5-day trial...seeing a bit more pixelation, but it really does not hinder the performance. Gunplay is nice & tight, minimal lag in the controls. A fine CoD-clone.

Edited by NuclearPorkchop, 27 November 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Hearthstone, Sam & Max S1E04; Spec Ops The Line

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#49 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Just bought Saints Row 3 after playing the demo, and I have ZERO complaints. Those saying the video quality is equal to youtube vids on medium...I have no idea what videos you are referring to, because this looks phenomenal. At least as good as GTA4 running on PS3 (in HD).

Ditto. I'm sure the video quality may be that bad in areas with poor internet speeds, but I've traveled with my unit to two different states and both areas looked much better than a Youtube video.

Even if the quality was that bad (and for me it hasn't been), I couldn't bring myself to complain about it since I'm playing on a FREE console and the games have generally cost $1-$5.

#50 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

Ditto. I'm sure the video quality may be that bad in areas with poor internet speeds, but I've traveled with my unit to two different states and both areas looked much better than a Youtube video.

YouTube streams in 720p and 1080p. OnLive looks like a 480p YouTube video when full screened. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing considering it's all in real-time, but let's face the fact that there is a lot of artifacts going on when playing. It tends to go to complete shit when there is a lot of action going on.

#51 deletion

deletion

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

great deals, but never did play the last dollar game i got
-----
Hey CAGs, Swagbucks is your friend!
I get at least 5 Bucks in Amazon giftcards a week.
Doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up!

Posted Image

#52 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

YouTube streams in 720p and 1080p. OnLive looks like a 480p YouTube video when full screened. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing considering it's all in real-time, but let's face the fact that there is a lot of artifacts going on when playing. It tends to go to complete shit when there is a lot of action going on.

That's your connection, not OnLive. I have the same issue when playing at home on my 6 Mbps DSL line that has latency problems. Right now I'm visiting my sister who has 12+ Mbps cable. I played through the demos of two games and didn't see one single artifact in that entire time. Unlike with my connection, there wasn't any change when there was a lot of quick action. I'm also 800 miles from home so it's possible that I'm closer to one of their data centers. It looks great when you have the proper setup for it.

#53 mikon

mikon

北斗百裂拳

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

That's your connection, not OnLive. I have the same issue when playing at home on my 6 Mbps DSL line that has latency problems. Right now I'm visiting my sister who has 12+ Mbps cable. I played through the demos of two games and didn't see one single artifact in that entire time. Unlike with my connection, there wasn't any change when there was a lot of quick action. I'm also 800 miles from home so it's possible that I'm closer to one of their data centers. It looks great when you have the proper setup for it.

There are two issues. The artifacting due to bandwidth issues is a lesser issue. The main problem is low-res textures and compression resulting in a significant loss of detail and image quality. It also depends on your display setup and viewing distance. Plenty of people can't tell DVD from HD and enjoy the movies either way. If it doesn't bother you and you're enjoying the game then that's great. For graphics performance enthusiasts it's very noticable and a constant annoyance which detracts from the enjoyment of the service.

(not my screenshots)

onlive: http://postimage.org...pcg5urdyt/full/
pc: http://postimage.org...blu2biikf/full/

onlive: http://postimage.org...nvhrr0z4h/full/
pc: http://postimage.org...goko8wdld/full/

onlive: http://postimage.org...j350l7zfb/full/
pc: http://postimage.org...ns75lde2x/full/

#54 77Pat

77Pat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

Might try this. Trying to decide between L.A. Noire and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Will be buying Batman Arkham City for PS3, which is why I am not considering it for this promotion.

#55 SiMMENS

SiMMENS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

So I'm clear, there is no $1 game for existing customers? As in, no adding to my $1 Arkham asylum and .80 ac brotherhood?

Set up another account, that's what I did for SR3