Photo
- - - - -

Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

• Please log in to reply
1904 replies to this topic

#31 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

Looking at that trade, what are the Rockets really getting out of this besides Gasol?

I don't really like K-Mart or Scola, but I also don't really like Gasol.

Now we know why Rondo's name was out there so much, the Hornets were putting it out there to drive up the price.

#32 ph33r m3

ph33r m3

C.A.G. Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

CP3 deal's off after owners flipped a bitch on Stern.

Hah suck a dick commish.
Posted Image

#33 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

CP3 deal's off after owners flipped a bitch on Stern.

Hah suck a dick commish.

Good. I absolutely hate the "Superteam" era of the NBA (even as a Celtics fan, a team that recently won a title under much the same principle).

Paul to the Lakers isn't good for the league, I'm glad they're stopping this.

33126.png

#34 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

I don't see the big deal. The Hornets would gain 4 decent to good players and a 2012 first round draft pick for the All-Star who will leave either way next year. Isn't the goal to save the Hornets from true mediocrity... Paul can leave next year and West (i.e. Hornets #2) is most likely walking this year so what is saving this team... Which starting lineup would the NBA like...

A)
PG - Jarret Jack
SG - Marco Belinelli
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - David Anderson
C - Emeka Okafor

or

B)
PG - Goran Dragic
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - Lamar Odom
C - Emeka Okafor

David Stern seems to be pointing to A and self-destruction of the team.

#35 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

I don't understand this trade. It was terrible for all sides except the Hornets. The Lakers gut their interior and lose a hell of a lot of scoring. The Rockets gut their team for a guy on the downside of their prime. The Hornets get some dimes and quarters that could be a solid group with David West resigned.

Posted Image

#36 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Good. I absolutely hate the "Superteam" era of the NBA (even as a Celtics fan, a team that recently won a title under much the same principle).

Paul to the Lakers isn't good for the league, I'm glad they're stopping this.

How is it a superteam... they are giving up so much to obtain him. Pau Gasol IMO is a way better asset than Paul is. And with him they also deal Odom, a guy that is a huge mismatch. If anything, the Lakers get weaker. Let's be for real... no way Howard gets dealt to LA for injury prone Bynum. Sorry it won't be happening, especially when teams like NJ offer way better guys like Brook Lopez.

#37 renique46

renique46

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

Gotta like how this whole lockout was to try to prevent shit like the heat from happening and now that its somewhat over we're right back to where we started. Its not the players fault there shitty teams time and time again fail to provide them with championship quality players. No one wants to be in a KG in Minnesota situation and i don't blame them one bit.

Season should have just stayed canceled, they should have tried to get the deal done when there was a chance to save a 72 game season but at this point 66 game season where there's multiple 3 game back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights situations for certain teams along with possible back to back playoff games gtfo with that bullshit, noone wants to see physically drained players or rested starters unless its the end of the season. Might as well put a asterisk on whoever gets the title.

#38 J7.

J7.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

Gotta like how this whole lockout was to try to prevent shit like the heat from happening and now that its somewhat over we're right back to where we started. Its not the players fault there shitty teams time and time again fail to provide them with championship quality players. No one wants to be in a KG in Minnesota situation and i don't blame them one bit.

Season should have just stayed canceled, they should have tried to get the deal done when there was a chance to save a 72 game season but at this point 66 game season where there's multiple 3 game back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights situations for certain teams along with possible back to back playoff games gtfo with that bullshit, noone wants to see physically drained players or rested starters unless its the end of the season. Might as well put a asterisk on whoever gets the title.

Why do they need 66 games? You would think 55-60 games would be enough. Are they lengthening the season so that the playoffs start later this year? Why not just add a 2-4 weeks to the end of the season before playoffs start and drop 5-10 games.

#39 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

So the Heat can have 3 super stars but the Lakers can't get CP3? wtf, it's not like the lakers are trading someone shitty, their trading pretty good players...
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#40 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

Yeah, I can't really see any reason for blocking the trade. Hornets were getting a decent return on Paul.

Maybe the league just plans to contract the hornets after this year? I'd think that would have been out by now if that was the case though.

Just weird all around.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#41 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

I didn't know that the owners can just complain and get a trade nullified. Where were they when Lakers got Gasol from Memphis?
Posted Image

#42 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

I didn't know that the owners can just complain and get a trade nullified. Where were they when Lakers got Gasol from Memphis?

The difference here is that the Hornets are currently owned by all the other NBA owners, so they have the say/vote on any moves the Hornets make until the league sells them to a new owner.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#43 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

The league owns the hornets so they can veto any proposed deal as long as the owners are against it. Potential owners are going to want a star so selling a team without CP3 on it means less money for the league. If CP3 goes the hornets are going to have to get a star in return.

#44 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:24 AM

I see. In that case, it's going to be tough for the Hornets to trade Paul then. This may be the best they can get for Paul.
Posted Image

#45 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

At this point how can the Hornets resign Paul? If he walks they get nothing.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#46 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

Catching up on all the CP3/Lakers nixed deal news right now (I had finals tonight) and all I can say is: Wow. Not really surprising, but that's what makes it interesting.

Will be fun to see how this all breaks down.

#47 j.t

j.t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:07 AM

As a huge Laker fan, I glad their getting rid of Odom. Stupid Fuck go film your tv show elsewhere. I do think Gasol is a better player/better 2nd to Kobe than CP3.

#48 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

It's not like the Hornets are getting ripped off...
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#49 renique46

renique46

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

Just when i thought the Orlando Tragic organization couldn't fail any harder they might actually do that 1 to 1 trade giving up brooke lopez for fucking d12 when Lopez dropped off significantly the past year to the point his own twin brother looked better than him. I guess there getting desperate like Denver did with the Melo situation

#50 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

The difference here is that the Hornets are currently owned by all the other NBA owners, so they have the say/vote on any moves the Hornets make until the league sells them to a new owner.

Do you actually believe this? The NBA owns the Hornets not the owners. The owners have no say in how the league runs the team (hard to believe with what just happened). In any case, I don't think Gilbert and the other small-market owners had the Hornets' best interest in mind when they voiced their complaints. Shame on David Stern for bowing down to the vocal minority.

#51 renique46

renique46

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

Do you actually believe this? The NBA owns the Hornets not the owners. The owners have no say in how the league runs the team (hard to believe with what just happened). In any case, I don't think Gilbert and the other small-market owners had the Hornets' best interest in mind when they voiced their complaints. Shame on David Stern for bowing down to the vocal minority.

This quote i saw somewhere sums it up

"What makes this even more hilarious is that the league basically undercut the Hornets and left them high and dry. So basically, destroying the value of their own team that they've been trying to find a new owner for."

#52 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

Just when i thought the Orlando Tragic organization couldn't fail any harder they might actually do that 1 to 1 trade giving up brooke lopez for fucking d12 when Lopez dropped off significantly the past year to the point his own twin brother looked better than him. I guess there getting desperate like Denver did with the Melo situation

The deal is better than that... The rumor deal includes two first round draft picks and dumping Hedo (thank god). If Howard wants out, it is best to get something than to just see him walk like Shaq did years ago.

Lopez > Bynum.

#53 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

Yeah getting Lopez, two first round picks and dumping Hedo and his huge contract is probably about the best deal they're going to get.

I'd maybe see if Minnesota was willing part with Kevin Love and draft picks, but that's unlikely.

Tough to get solid return when you have a star who wants out as teams know the trading team doesn't want to just have them leave at the end of the year and get nothing in return. Especially when the star is demanding a trade to a particular team and saying he'll refuse to sign long term with any other team per this article: http://espn.go.com/n...ets-sources-say

It still sucks, but if Howard doesn't want to be in Orlando, they have to take the best they can get and try to rebuild. Lopez can at least help lessen to drop off on defense and rebound some, and put up some of the points. Will be up to the guards to make up the rest of the scoring difference. And I think they will--the offense has been way too focused on Howard in recent years with the talent they have had on the perimeter.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#54 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

It still sucks, but if Howard doesn't want to be in Orlando, they have to take the best they can get and try to rebuild. Lopez can at least help lessen to drop off on defense and rebound some, and put up some of the points. Will be up to the guards to make up the rest of the scoring difference. And I think they will--the offense has been way too focused on Howard in recent years with the talent they have had on the perimeter.

Lopez might be the worst rebounding big man in the league. With that said, the drop off on offense won't be too bad. Plus you can make up some of the rebounding loss if Kris Humphries is included in the trade.

#55 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

Brandon Roy is retiring due to his continued knee problems.

http://espn.go.com/n...ees-sources-say

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#56 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

smart guy to retire now rather than when his knees totally give out.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#57 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

Lopez might be the worst rebounding big man in the league. With that said, the drop off on offense won't be too bad. Plus you can make up some of the rebounding loss if Kris Humphries is included in the trade.

Trade would apparently just be Lopez and two first round picks.

Magic have some other guys who can help on the boards though. Brandon Bass at the 4 (and Ryan Anderson), young big men in Daniel Orton and Justin Harper.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#58 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

Trade would apparently just be Lopez and two first round picks.

Magic have some other guys who can help on the boards though. Brandon Bass at the 4 (and Ryan Anderson), young big men in Daniel Orton and Justin Harper.

Per Yahoo, Bass just got dealt to Celtics for Glen Davis.
Posted Image

#59 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

His lack of rebounding and defensive tenacity may have been related to his case of mono before the season.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#60 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

Per Yahoo, Bass just got dealt to Celtics for Glen Davis.

Well, that sucks.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection