Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6693 replies to this topic

#3601 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

There is NO WAY Smash Bros. is coming out this Fall. That is a couple years off I think (at least next Fall). They might show it at E3 but I really doubt it will be out so soon, especially if they do have a new Mario. I think it would be more than enough for them to get the 3D Mario and Mario Kart out - but not sure they can even get that done and have them be their usual high quality.

Yeah, I'm not saying they will have Smash Brothers out this fall, I'm just saying if they did happen to be able to make that happen it would move a ton of consoles.

#3602 io

io

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

Super Mario 64 was just hub worlds, right? Same as Super Mario Galaxy? I forget what Super Mario Sunshine was like. They should just do an actual open world like Jak and Daxter, where you move seamlessly from area/world to area/world like they're physically located next to one another.

Sunshine was a little more open just in that the "hub world" was pretty extensive. But you still went into portals to go to the "levels". Those were more like 64, though, in that you had many objectives in each one. They do that a little in the Mario Galaxy games (with 2 or 3 stars and other challenges in some of them). But also in both of those games most of the levels themselves were more open. Much of Mario Galaxy is linear - there wasn't a great deal of exploration within each level. I think that's what we are talking about when we say return to that style.

But yeah, a completely open world with tons of collectibles and secrets to find would be awesome. That kind of game takes a while to put together, though, especially with it being a departure from what they are used to. I wouldn't want them rushing something like that out for this Fall just to have a 3D Mario on the market. That almost makes me thing that if they really are going to push something out it will probably just be another Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll find out soon!

#3603 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

Yeah I agree, I think Smash will come in 2014 and this year we'll get Mario 3D and Mario Kart. At the very least we'll get another 3D Mario game this year.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#3604 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Sunshine was a little more open just in that the "hub world" was pretty extensive. But you still went into portals to go to the "levels". Those were more like 64, though, in that you had many objectives in each one. They do that a little in the Mario Galaxy games (with 2 or 3 stars and other challenges in some of them). But also in both of those games most of the levels themselves were more open. Much of Mario Galaxy is linear - there wasn't a great deal of exploration within each level. I think that's what we are talking about when we say return to that style.

But yeah, a completely open world with tons of collectibles and secrets to find would be awesome. That kind of game takes a while to put together, though, especially with it being a departure from what they are used to. I wouldn't want them rushing something like that out for this Fall just to have a 3D Mario on the market. That almost makes me thing that if they really are going to push something out it will probably just be another Mario Galaxy. Hopefully we'll find out soon!

I don't think it would take that long if the team is good enough. Jak and Daxter was out the fall after the PS2's launch and Super Mario Galaxy was also out in the same timeframe.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#3605 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yeah I never finished Sunshine, It's been awhile but I think there was a boss I could never beat thanks to the unwieldy camera in that game.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#3606 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

I love Sunshine. I rank 64 higher because of nostalgia, but Sunshine is almost just as good.

#3607 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

I probably should give it another go, we have a gamecube around here somewhere. Or maybe they'll start releasing GC games on VC at some point.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#3608 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

If you were running Nintendo marketing for the fall, would you highlight Wii backwards compatibility at all as a way to differentiate the Wii U from the PS4 and Xbox One?

I don't know that I would run a print or tv ad campaign with this feature, but it might be effective for in-store marketing at places like Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target.

Just curious what everyone thinks. And, for the record, I think high quality, new Wii U releases are of course far more important!
\\:D/

#3609 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'd highlight the fact you are in control of your gaming while the other guys aren't (assuming PS4 does something similar).
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#3610 io

io

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

BC was a pretty big factor in getting me to go with the Wii U. I knew I could ditch the old Wii and just have one new Nintendo device. With the other guys, I'm going to have to keep 4 systems around now which is just getting out of hand. I guess I'll retire the PS2 since I never use it. But I'll definitely still have a lot of PS3 stuff to play for a while (just my PS+ backlog is tremendous).

I don't care so much that they don't play the old discs (though maybe ps4 will with their cloud service thing) but it is the XBL/PSN stuff that is a real bummer. It seems like there should have been a way to play those on the new systems. After all, brand new high-end PC's can still play "old" games designed for much slower systems.

#3611 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Nintendo should absolutely take advantage of the way things are heading with 360 & PS4. They should create an all out marketing blitz showing all the cons of the other two. They won't though. It's not in their nature to do a little mudslinging.

#3612 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I don't care so much that they don't play the old discs (though maybe ps4 will with their cloud service thing) but it is the XBL/PSN stuff that is a real bummer. It seems like there should have been a way to play those on the new systems. After all, brand new high-end PC's can still play "old" games designed for much slower systems.

Oh, I'm sure they will port the old XBLA games over to the One, you're just going to have to buy them again.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#3613 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Nintendo should absolutely take advantage of the way things are heading with 360 & PS4. They should create an all out marketing blitz showing all the cons of the other two. They won't though. It's not in their nature to do a little mudslinging.

All they need to do is spam commercials showing the Xbox Kinect is required for use and show some hackers someplace listening to your private conversations and posting pictures of your family on the Internet. Game over.

Even if MS, the government, or any other large entity that will be capable of using the Kinect always on features are benevolent, you can't tell me that's the ONE SINGLE NETWORK that 3rd party asshats won't be able to hack into. I realize that I'm starting to come across as paranoid but in truth I'm worried. The Kinect is required to the Xbox One to function, it's always on - listening and watching, and your Xbox One is always connected to the Internet transmitting data back and forth.

#3614 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Oh, I'm sure they will port the old XBLA games over to the One, you're just going to have to buy them again.

Good luck with that. First, you lose your saves this way. Second, if none of my old content carried over, why would I bother buying new content on the shiny new box if it likely won't carry over?

In this day and age of digital content you shouldn't need two VCR size boxes to access your content. Do I need to keep my iPhone 3Gs and 4s to access all my old games/apps when I upgrade to a 5? Of course not because that's ridiculous. I know the architecture is different but to think something as powerful as the X1 can't run my old Pac-Man game is laughable.

#3615 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Good luck with that. First, you lose your saves this way. Second, if none of my old content carried over, why would I bother buying new content on the shiny new box if it likely won't carry over?

In this day and age of digital content you shouldn't need two VCR size boxes to access your content. Do I need to keep my iPhone 3Gs and 4s to access all my old games/apps when I upgrade to a 5? Of course not because that's ridiculous. I know the architecture is different but to think something as powerful as the X1 can't run my old Pac-Man game is laughable.

They definitely won't just "give" you your XBLA games on the new console. Look at what Nintendo does. They're charging upgrade fees. If you're lucky MS will do that.

#3616 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

If they could get PSN/XBLA games to work, then retail games would also work.

#3617 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

MS said its not backwards compatible, and since the system has to connect online once a day there is basically no hope for seeing your XBLA stuff on the new system. As a consumer I full expected XBLA to be integrated into the next system and that I could download my profile and all my games to the new box. As I said before suddenly what Nintendo is doing doesn't seem bad at all. By a long shot if I did get the XB1 then I wouldn't want to buy any digital stuff because I know it would not transfer over next gen and all games retail or digital on that system would be temporary as it will become a paperweight when they pull support for in 10 years. I will not buy any more digital stuff on the 360 or PS3 that is for sure right now since neither will transfer, not that I went crazy with digital games because I had a feeling this would happen. I might have $20 worth of XBLA stuff which is a drop in the hat excluding what I got for free, and I have one digital game for PSP/PS3 again excluding the free ones. This means no collecting or anything, you won't be able to play anything at all once the system is dead and it cannot connect online. It's going to be an expensive, disposable box.

I can play my 360 now forever offline and it will still work as long as the console doesn't malfunction, same with the WiiU. If I was Nintendo I would definitely market the heck out of backwards compatibility and the user friendliness of the console.

The 1.50 upgrade fee seems super minimal now, and you are getting extra features, if you want another family member to play a XB1 game on a different account you have to pay for the whole game again!

I have definitely learned a valuable lesson about digital content through all of this.... Don't buy it!

Apple is the only one with a good system, one account and any device that connects to it can have access to your apps and music, though it took them a long time to remove the DRM from the music I have to admit.

#3618 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

They definitely won't just "give" you your XBLA games on the new console. Look at what Nintendo does. They're charging upgrade fees. If you're lucky MS will do that.

You don't have to pay any fees for Wii > Wii U transfers though. That's the key factor here. For Xbox One, if they somehow got transfers in place (which it doesn't sound like) developers would most likely charge on a per game basis since those games would have to be reworked from the ground up.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#3619 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

E3 Nintendo Direct Announced

June 11 is going to be a busy day.

by Luke Karmali
May 23, 2013

Nintendo has announced it will be holding a global edition of Nintendo Direct on June 11 at 7am Pacific / 10am Eastern / 3pm GMT.
The Direct, which Nintendo is holding instead of a press conference this year, is set to provide updates about future Wii U games.
Already confirmed to be shown are a new 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart and the next Smash Bros., though it's possible that titles in other franchises (especially Zelda) may also be detailed.

#3620 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Nintendo holding Pokemon presentation at E3, is 1.5 hours long

May 23rd, 2013 Posted in General Nintendo, News, Posted by Valay | No Comments ยป Nintendo won’t be holding a typical press conference at this year’s E3, but the company has scheduled a number of different events for the show.
One happening appears to be a special Pokemon presentation. This will take place during the first night of E3 and will be 1.5 hours long, according to media reports.
Also during E3 are two different hands-on events: one for the media and one for analysts/other business folks. A Nintendo Direct broadcast will be live-streamed on June 11 as well.

-90 minutes just on Pokemon? I hope that means they announce a full-blown Wii U title.

#3621 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

-90 minutes just on Pokemon? I hope that means they announce a full-blown Wii U title.

I won't get my hopes up, but it'd be nice if they finally got around to that.

#3622 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Pokemon just isn't my thing, so I'm glad they're not putting it into the regular presentation.

#3623 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

There's nothing saying that there won't be anything about Pokemon on the Nintendo Direct.

#3624 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

This could mean they are bringing Pokemon Rumble / Scramble U stateside, not that parents need yet another toy collection game to buy for.

#3625 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

I may be in the minority, but while I liked Super Mario Sunshine, my least favorite part about it was the wandering around trying to figure out where to go. I just get too disoriented in games like that. :)

Crunchewy.png

#3626 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

If you were running Nintendo marketing for the fall, would you highlight Wii backwards compatibility at all as a way to differentiate the Wii U from the PS4 and Xbox One?

I don't know that I would run a print or tv ad campaign with this feature, but it might be effective for in-store marketing at places like Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target.

Just curious what everyone thinks. And, for the record, I think high quality, new Wii U releases are of course far more important!

They did that already and the morons at kotaku shit all over them. Now the morons are mad because there's no BC on xbox or ps3.
3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#3627 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

There's nothing saying that there won't be anything about Pokemon on the Nintendo Direct.

But it does mean there won't be 90 minutes of it. ;)

#3628 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Nintendo holding Pokemon presentation at E3, is 1.5 hours long

Pokemon MMO finally?

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#3629 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

If they make a Pokemon MMO or some more RPG Pokemon games I will buy this console instantly.

#3630 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

I may be in the minority, but while I liked Super Mario Sunshine, my least favorite part about it was the wandering around trying to figure out where to go. I just get too disoriented in games like that. :)

I didnt like it either.