Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6694 replies to this topic

#3901 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Is Chronicles of Mystara on the Eshop yet? I thought it was supposed to be today, would be nice to play on the Gamepad.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#3902 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Grabbing New Super Luigi U now since it's basically half off for me due to the DDP.

Is Chronicles of Mystara on the Eshop yet? I thought it was supposed to be today, would be nice to play on the Gamepad.

It's coming later.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#3903 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

I can tell that Nintendo's new to DLC, as the process of buying and playing New Super Luigi U was more complicated than it should've been. I had to update NSMBU before I could even buy NSLU and then it stopped me when I went to start the game after I had everything downloaded to install the DLC, which I thought it would've done on its own.

#3904 heatfan1121

heatfan1121

Pikmin 3 is Awesome!

• CAG Veteran

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

My local target had Game and Wario for sale today, a few days early. I picked it up and it's actually a pretty fun game.

#3905 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

According to the New Super Luigi trailer I saw today the game (in disc form) is only being released in 2013.

I might have to buy a game for a system I don't even own yet. I'm not going to pay Metroid Prime Trilogy prices.

#3906 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

Im calling a 3d world bundle at 300$.
3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#3907 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

Really enjoying Super Luigi U but that time limit is so frustrating...

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#3908 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have learned that as soon as a company starts to deny something that means they will be doing it shortly, this system still has almost no games on it and none of the big titles announced for it as was promised with Nintendo's claim they will have 3rd party support, especially if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff. I don't like Super Mario so that bundle would not hold much value for me but maybe a cheaper system so I could go and buy the Monster hunter game I want would. Just an example.Right now this is nothing more than a side console, something you use to play an exclusive that isn't on another console, and its only used when the next Nintendo or exclusive game comes out. If some of the big games were announced for it like KH3 like they should have been then I would probably go out and get one but right now I can get better games on the Wii and 3DS than this system. The 3DS specifically has the kinds of games I like.

The sad thing is, I don't want to play any of the games out on it. None of them interest me all. At least for now, the only reason I want it is to move over my virtual co sole games and upgrade them so they play on the gamepad (for the kids). I don't even want to play them. I got them for free from club Nintendo because I played them as a kid and k we they were good. I do t want to play them again.

So that's the main reason I want a Wii U. The second reason is because everything in my entertainment center is black except for the white Wii which sticks out like a sore thumb. That's clearly cosmetic and its not enough to get me to upgrade but it does annoy me.

I suppose after upgrading I can sell my Wii. Though I doubt a Wii is worth much these days - even ones with GameCube backwards compatability like mine.

#3909 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I really don't get why you are back here again when you made it clear you don't like Nintendo games anymore?

Just wait 5 years when the system is $200 or something.

Im sure you have an iPad or a tablet of some kind. Just get an emulator on that and download whatever games your kids want to play on that.

Selling Call of Duty: Ghosts Steel book for $10 and the GTA hat for $15

Deader2818.png

#3910 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Nevermind. I see now.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#3911 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Is the Luigi U disc still available to buy? 

I see it's $30 on Amazon. Is that the disc or the DLC.

It's the disc. If it was the e-shop version, it would say avaiable now. I wonder why it's taking two months to bring the game to disc over DLC.

Not that I care, but just curious.

Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#3912 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

It's the disc. If it was the e-shop version, it would say avaiable now. I wonder why it's taking two months to bring the game to disc over DLC.

IMO the delay +$10 price difference + double CN coins offer are to steer you to the DL version. Plus, this was always meant to be DLC anyway so the physical version is more of a perk than a major release, and it helps to keep the Wii U releases going between Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101.

uc.png

#3913 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I have learned that as soon as a company starts to deny something that means they will be doing it shortly, this system still has almost no games on it and none of the big titles announced for it as was promised with Nintendo's claim they will have 3rd party support, especially if you don't like Nintendo first party stuff. I don't like Super Mario so that bundle would not hold much value for me but maybe a cheaper system so I could go and buy the Monster hunter game I want would. Just an example.Right now this is nothing more than a side console, something you use to play an exclusive that isn't on another console, and its only used when the next Nintendo or exclusive game comes out. If some of the big games were announced for it like KH3 like they should have been then I would probably go out and get one but right now I can get better games on the Wii and 3DS than this system. The 3DS specifically has the kinds of games I like.

The sad thing is, I don't want to play any of the games out on it. None of them interest me all. At least for now, the only reason I want it is to move over my virtual co sole games and upgrade them so they play on the gamepad (for the kids). I don't even want to play them. I got them for free from club Nintendo because I played them as a kid and k we they were good. I do t want to play them again.

So that's the main reason I want a Wii U. The second reason is because everything in my entertainment center is black except for the white Wii which sticks out like a sore thumb. That's clearly cosmetic and its not enough to get me to upgrade but it does annoy me.

I suppose after upgrading I can sell my Wii. Though I doubt a Wii is worth much these days - even ones with GameCube backwards compatability like mine.

I have no more room in my entertainment center so if I got a Wii U something would have to go, probably the Wii. My Wii is hooked up with component cables and since my 2 HDMI ports are already full nothing else is getting put in until something goes, and I am not letting my Xbox 360 or PS3 go for a long time. This means I would have to hook up the Wii U with the current component cables assuming that can be done.

I have all the old systems and games so I am really not interested in buying them again only to create digital clutter that I will never use.

I am not interested in getting any Wii U games, if they released a good pokemon stadium game or a Good Pokemon RPG with modern graphics I would be all over it. I really like the idea of playing games on the tablet while I am watching stuff on TV but not every game apparently supports that. There just aren't any games I want to play right now, sure I am interested in Mario Kart for the Wii U but not $350 + cost of the game interested. The only games I am interested in playing right now are Turn Based RPG's which the 3DS has lots of. I have to say I am very satisfied with the 3DS and the selection of games is perfect for my tastes. Besides I just got Mario kart for the Wii so I have quite a bit to work through before thinking of getting something newer.

Now if the Wii U could play certain Wii games in tablet mode while I lay in bed and watch TV I would probably be all over it.

I also don't want to lose the ability to play Gamecube games over component cables, sometimes they look even better than certain Wii games, I have no idea how but they do.

#3914 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

The DLC version uses assets from NSMBU. It's just new levels and a new character. I'm not sure there's even a new world map.

The disc version needs to be rewritten to contain everything it needs from NSMBU, plus get rated, package design, promotion, shipped to stores,  etc.

3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#3915 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

The DLC version uses assets from NSMBU. It's just new levels and a new character. I'm not sure there's even a new world map.

The disc version needs to be rewritten to contain everything it needs from NSMBU, plus get rated, package design, promotion, shipped to stores,  etc.

Actually, it's a completely new campaign with the same world map whose levels are remixed versions of what was in the main campaign.

I've got a video that will be done uploading in about two hours that shows off how to access it and what the first world looks like.

#3916 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have no more room in my entertainment center so if I got a Wii U something would have to go, probably the Wii. My Wii is hooked up with component cables and since my 2 HDMI ports are already full nothing else is getting put in until something goes, and I am not letting my Xbox 360 or PS3 go for a long time. This means I would have to hook up the Wii U with the current component cables assuming that can be done.

I have all the old systems and games so I am really not interested in buying them again only to create digital clutter that I will never use.

I am not interested in getting any Wii U games, if they released a good pokemon stadium game or a Good Pokemon RPG with modern graphics I would be all over it. I really like the idea of playing games on the tablet while I am watching stuff on TV but not every game apparently supports that. There just aren't any games I want to play right now, sure I am interested in Mario Kart for the Wii U but not $350 + cost of the game interested. The only games I am interested in playing right now are Turn Based RPG's which the 3DS has lots of. I have to say I am very satisfied with the 3DS and the selection of games is perfect for my tastes. Besides I just got Mario kart for the Wii so I have quite a bit to work through before thinking of getting something newer.

Now if the Wii U could play certain Wii games in tablet mode while I lay in bed and watch TV I would probably be all over it.

I also don't want to lose the ability to play Gamecube games over component cables, sometimes they look even better than certain Wii games, I have no idea how but they do.

Speaking of turn based JRPG's, I was immensely disappointed that the Earthbound HD collection shown on Amazon UK wasn't announced at E3. 

If you only have 2 HDMI slots you need this.  I have this same model.  It's really good for a home theater in a box because nothing is proprietary and has a real receiver.  You can hook 4 HDMI into it then go HDMI from it to your TV and only use one of your TV slots.  There's also optical audio in so if you have stuff plugged into your TV, you can have the sound play in surround.  I'm using all 4 HDMI on mine (Blu Ray player, 360, PS3, and cable box) then I have my Wii plugged into my TV which has the digital audio out to the receiver.

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=onkyo

#3917 heatfan1121

heatfan1121

Pikmin 3 is Awesome!

• CAG Veteran

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

I can tell that Nintendo's new to DLC, as the process of buying and playing New Super Luigi U was more complicated than it should've been. I had to update NSMBU before I could even buy NSLU and then it stopped me when I went to start the game after I had everything downloaded to install the DLC, which I thought it would've done on its own.

How big is the game? I wanna download it, but I need to know if I should finally hook up my external hard drive. Also, how annoying is the time limit?

#3918 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

How big is the game? I wanna download it, but I need to know if I should finally hook up my external hard drive. Also, how annoying is the time limit?

The New Super Luigi U DLC? It's 720 MB.

I just noticed from the E3 notification that you can add Reggie's Mii to your Mii collection.

#3919 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

http://www.kickstart...24?ref=activity

I soo hope Armikrog makes it over to Wii U!

Although I suspect Nintendo is probably going to publish it if (or rather when) the Kickstarter fails,

Posted Image

#3920 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

I would really like to get a WiiU (Deluxe) now, especially as I got $150 for my birthday :) but I would really love to see some other bundle. I'm sure NintendoLand is fun, though. Have heard as much. There's also that pesky problem of the other $200 needed. LOL. I already have a copy of NSMBU waiting.

Crunchewy.png

#3921 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Woo! Armikrog is coming to Wii U! :whee:

Posted Image

#3922 io

io

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

I guess I missed the Kickstarter, but for sure I'll buy it if it gets any sort of decent reviews.  I like supporting both these smaller developers (Mike Nelson from MST3K being involved is icing on the cake) and "underdog" Nintendo that went courting them - that is an awesome little bit of news that I'm sure will be ignored by most gamers.  Hopefully it remains console exclusive to the Wii U.

#3923 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

monster hunter 3 is 35$ at amazon
3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#3924 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

I guess I missed the Kickstarter, but for sure I'll buy it if it gets any sort of decent reviews.  I like supporting both these smaller developers (Mike Nelson from MST3K being involved is icing on the cake) and "underdog" Nintendo that went courting them - that is an awesome little bit of news that I'm sure will be ignored by most gamers.  Hopefully it remains console exclusive to the Wii U.

It basically got 350k+ in the final 3 days, which is coincidentally when they announced they stretch goal for Wii U.  It was really crazy.  I hope A Hat in Time comes to Wii U as well, but since they need to license UE3 for consoles, they need a publisher to cover those costs.

Looking at the Game & Wario stuff makes me smile...makes me want to buy it.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#3925 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

There's a huge WIIU demo at the Mall of America right now.  Actually it's an overall Nintendo thing, they have reps walking around with 3DS units to demo as well.  I've been through it twice and played nearly everything WIIU related a few times over with family, especially Mario and Pikmin.  I don't know how I could give the console a more honest shot. 

What was interesting to me was watching people play who knew nothing about the WIIU and listening to their questions (and the reps' responses), I hung around the display quite a bit while the family shopped.  A particularly interesting case was a WarioWare-themed ski game (it had the disco guy on skis) where you used the tablet to steer the skier.  The impulse of every gamer was to use the perspective on the TV to steer with the tablet, however it was the perspective on the tablet (which differed from the TV) was the one to be used.  Again, it confused every single person, and they were all asking questions like "Why is it different?  Should I look at the TV?  Why is it backward?"  Nobody stuck it out to learn the game, everybody abandoned it (and reps stopped hanging out there unless called over by someone).

You might respond that Nintendo's shaking up control here, challenging the norm and whatnot, but that's missing the point.  Everyone who picked up a Wii controller on the Wii release knew exactly what to do with it for the launch title.  We're 9 months into the WIIU's existence, and N can't even pick a demo that features the tablet component (the supposed selling point) in an intuitive way.  There was a Need for Speed there that used it as a steering wheel.  Everything else either bypasses the tablet entirely or uses it in a secondary, non-essential way (e.g. platform buddy for Mario).

Which brings me to another point...  As I played the Pikmin game, I heard a couple people asking, "So is this for the Wii or the new one?" and I suspect it was because I was standing there holding a Wii controller.  Not that we didn't see this coming, but N has seriously confused those additional gamers they picked up during the Wii boost.  Mario Chase was especially confusing to people given the mix of controllers, and the reps were having a tough time answering questions, they were sticking to the official patter.  The bottom line is that with the WIIU, N's now milking a very exclusive subset of those Wii owners: those who are informed enough to follow the Wii to WIIU shift, or rather, those who aren't confused as hell by all of this.

I don't see how future iterations of consoles aren't going to progressively become harder and harder for Nintendo to sustain if they keep this up.  It's fair to N to say that we're now outside of the so-called Launch Window, and the WIIU looks to have a very challenging holiday ahead.  At the rate they're currently headed, not only is Nintendo going to officially lose the momentum they built from the Wii, they're going to lose ground in the home console market.  Not like a tiny bit, they're going to lose A LOT.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3926 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

So for morons to like your game system, you have to sell them a new set of $50 controllers that are incompatible with the previous version? I'll forward this over to nintendo.

3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#3927 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like a lot of morons in your area.

Selling Call of Duty: Ghosts Steel book for $10 and the GTA hat for $15

Deader2818.png

#3928 Chris in Cali

Chris in Cali

Mr. Negativity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

I sold my Wii U yesterday after being completely underwhelmed by the slate of releases coming all the way until Spring 2014.  I never have felt so indifferent about selling a console.  In past experiences, I would debate internally at great length before selling a console because I usually miss some games or features, but with the Wii U I was very glad to have a portion of my money recouped and feel like I'm missing nothing special.  I stopped trying to convince myself that the Wind Waker HD port, the only title I was really interested in, would be enough to own the system until the possibility of games I want get announced at E3 2014.

I really wanted to like this system, but Nintendo pretty much has showed me that they're not concerned with making new and exciting titles.  No new Zelda coming for at least a full year, our 3D Mario is an upgraded version of a 3DS game, I never have cared for Smash and if I did I can just get it on my 3DS.  It seems like the 3DS is getting, and already has, way more exciting titles than the Wii U has or will be getting for the foreseeable future. 

I bought my deluxe Wii U at launch, and still never saw a good use of the tablet.  I saw terrible battery life, and some very annoying camera controls.  I never understood the benefit of the Digital Deluxe promotion that us "deluxe" system owners were supposed to get.  Nintendo still has not figured out how to deliver a solid and exciting online ecosystem.  They still are making us wait for the 1-2 Virtual Console release a week when the Wii has an entire VC game library available right now.  It makes no sense.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, because these are just my feelings & experiences.  If you own and enjoy your Wii U, that's awesome and I'm very happy for you.  I just wanted to vent my own personal experience, because Nintendo has made some of my all-time favorite games in the past, and I still LOVE their handhelds.

#3929 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

I just don't see a game announced for the Wii U system that I want to play, lots for the 3DS though, and if I had more time to sit and play my 3DS I would purchase more games for it because it has an incredible library. I might pick it up in 2-3 years if it has any games I want to play on it, but by then they will hopefully have some kind of upgraded system with the larger battery they are releasing in Japan. The $350 price tag is way too much for a system with hardly any games and little support from 3rd parties.

#3930 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like a lot of morons in your area.

N likes the cut of your jib, sailor.  Same goes for the moo making similar comments. 

The customer's the moron in this case, not the braintrust who decided on the name or failed to illustrate the necessity of the tablet and further obfuscated the difference between generations by demoing a new title for the newest console using last gen controllers.

The customers are the morons.

Posted ImagePosted Image