* * * * * 4 votes

Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6693 replies to this topic

#4291 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

Yes, which was freaking awesome.

I just can't picture the room that's got 50 game console and 10,000 games in it...

#4292 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

Why does this even matter to you? lol. If you don't like to collect games thats fine. No one is forcing you. Some people do however and thats not a problem.

Selling GTA V and Ghosts Steel book for $10 and the GTA hat for $15

Deader2818.png

#4293 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

I just can't picture the room that's got 50 game console and 10,000 games in it...

That's because it's called Heaven...

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#4294 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Rayman Legends Sells Best on Wii U in Opening Week

by Tom Malina - September 2, 2013 - 2:22 P.M.
Total Comments: 3 Source: GFK Chart-Track http://www.chart-tra...p&ct=110032 and Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer...ent-in-uk-chart

The draw of Murfy's GamePad antics proves to be too much to resist.

1.jpg

Rayman Legends has sold more copies on Wii U than on any other platform since going on sale on August 30 in the UK, according to the latest Chart-Track figures.

The Wii U version reportedly accounted for about 45% of the retail sales of the limbless legend's latest platformer, which was formerly pegged as a Wii U exclusive until it was delayed earlier this year to enable multi-platform support.

By comparison, the Xbox 360 version made up 30% of the game's sales, whilst the PS3 edition took 24% and the PC version a meagre 1%. These statistics do not factor in the title's digital sales on any of the systems.

Overall, the opening week sales of Legends in the UK were around a 20% increase on the first-week sales of the previous entry in the series, Rayman Origins, which was released in late 2011.

Rayman Legends will launch across North America tomorrow, September 3.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#4295 io

io

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

That's nice but I finally canceled my Newegg $40 preorder for it a week or two ago.  I'll get it for Wii U when it is cheap - but they lost my day 1 purchase when they delayed it for multiplatform.  It wasn't even so much that they took an exclusive away from the Wii U but that they delayed it to do so.  I could have used a game on the Wii U in March/April when this was supposed to come out.  Now I have Pikmin 3 and games for other systems will start pouring forth soon so I'm on no hurry to play it now.

I played the Wii U Mario 3D at PAX and it is pretty fun.  Yeah, it is a "rush to the end" Mario and not a Mario 64/Sunshine exploration game (which I would have loved) but it is fun nonetheless.  The cat suits are really cool and the game is stunning in HD.  The animations on all the characters/abilities is great, but the cat suits are just amazing - especially when you climb walls and such.  Nintendo has made the transition to HD with no problem in all aspects.  It isn't just a Wii game with HD textures - there's so much more to the upgrade than that.

Oh yeah, I also played Wind Waker but only because it was part of the "deal" to get a Link T-shirt.  I had to wait 2 hours to watch my son play it for 10 minutes ;).  It looks nice but not too different from what I remember the Gamecube version looking like.  Of course it has no jaggies - but the simple textures/bright colors did a good job of masking the standard def in the GC version and it looks no different in HD (except with sharp edges).  And perhaps it runs a bit smoother?  I played the GC one so long ago but I seem to remember some slowdown.  They did add some sort of Mii Verse connectivity in the form of messages in a bottle.  You find those on the shore and at sea and they have notes from other players.  So that is kind of cool.  The guy explaining the demo said it was still early (?) and he wasn't sure what else would be changed/added.  But he did mention the streamlined triforce quest at the end and the faster sailing.  And apparently there is some way to always have the wind behind you no matter what direction you face.

Unfortunately Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I ever beat and I don't feel the need to replay it so I'll probably pass on this unless I get it cheap down the road.  I should really play the 3DS remake as I never even played the N64 games.  (FYI - I played the original at a friend's house in college one night and that was it till I got a Gamecube).

I did not get to play Bayonetta 2 since they were giving away a T-shirt for playing which meant waiting 2+ hours and my son had no interest in that (and yet I waited 2 hours to play Titanfall with him - go figure ;)).

The Nintendo booth was pretty busy all show long though - lots of interest in the games.  The Donkey Kong game always had long lines too so I didn't try that.  They also had Wonderful 101 and, for some reason, Pikmin 3.  They did have a cool Olimar (I think) with Pikmin statue there.  I'll post a picture later.  3DS was definitely deemphasized in favor of the Wii U as they had those down in a lower level hallway type place and not on the main floor at all.  The new 3DS Zelda was there and I totally forgot to check that out - oh well...

#4296 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

That will have the same effect as your dad giving you his Atari and Amiga collection.

Best dad EVER.

For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#4297 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

That's nice but I finally canceled my Newegg $40 preorder for it a week or two ago.  I'll get it for Wii U when it is cheap - but they lost my day 1 purchase when they delayed it for multiplatform.  It wasn't even so much that they took an exclusive away from the Wii U but that they delayed it to do so.  I could have used a game on the Wii U in March/April when this was supposed to come out.  Now I have Pikmin 3 and games for other systems will start pouring forth soon so I'm on no hurry to play it now.

I played the Wii U Mario 3D at PAX and it is pretty fun.  Yeah, it is a "rush to the end" Mario and not a Mario 64/Sunshine exploration game (which I would have loved) but it is fun nonetheless.  The cat suits are really cool and the game is stunning in HD.  The animations on all the characters/abilities is great, but the cat suits are just amazing - especially when you climb walls and such.  Nintendo has made the transition to HD with no problem in all aspects.  It isn't just a Wii game with HD textures - there's so much more to the upgrade than that.

Oh yeah, I also played Wind Waker but only because it was part of the "deal" to get a Link T-shirt.  I had to wait 2 hours to watch my son play it for 10 minutes ;).  It looks nice but not too different from what I remember the Gamecube version looking like.  Of course it has no jaggies - but the simple textures/bright colors did a good job of masking the standard def in the GC version and it looks no different in HD (except with sharp edges).  And perhaps it runs a bit smoother?  I played the GC one so long ago but I seem to remember some slowdown.  They did add some sort of Mii Verse connectivity in the form of messages in a bottle.  You find those on the shore and at sea and they have notes from other players.  So that is kind of cool.  The guy explaining the demo said it was still early (?) and he wasn't sure what else would be changed/added.  But he did mention the streamlined triforce quest at the end and the faster sailing.  And apparently there is some way to always have the wind behind you no matter what direction you face.

Unfortunately Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I ever beat and I don't feel the need to replay it so I'll probably pass on this unless I get it cheap down the road.  I should really play the 3DS remake as I never even played the N64 games.  (FYI - I played the original at a friend's house in college one night and that was it till I got a Gamecube).

I did not get to play Bayonetta 2 since they were giving away a T-shirt for playing which meant waiting 2+ hours and my son had no interest in that (and yet I waited 2 hours to play Titanfall with him - go figure ;)).

The Nintendo booth was pretty busy all show long though - lots of interest in the games.  The Donkey Kong game always had long lines too so I didn't try that.  They also had Wonderful 101 and, for some reason, Pikmin 3.  They did have a cool Olimar (I think) with Pikmin statue there.  I'll post a picture later.  3DS was definitely deemphasized in favor of the Wii U as they had those down in a lower level hallway type place and not on the main floor at all.  The new 3DS Zelda was there and I totally forgot to check that out - oh well...

cool insite on pax. im actually going to buy wwhd. just to be clear i have no desire to play through it again, but that special edition figure is to hard to pass on. its going to sit sealed for future trade fodder. i beat WW 4 times on GC so im good.  Mario 3dw & zelda 3ds will tide me over on the nintendo front untill mario kart 8 & smash u next year. nothing else interests me. ill get squeeze in my nintendo fix inbetween my next gen gaming.

#4298 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hey, IO... Did the Nintendo guy say anything about new dungeons in WW?  I know he said more may be added, but if he's not saying it now then I would say 'No'. (There were supposedly 2 dungeons left out of the original GC version... not sure how far along they were.)

#4299 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Unless Nintendo is trolling us, there are no new dungeons. I believe the cut Wind Waker dungeons were reused in Twilight Princess.

#4300 io

io

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

That will have the same effect as your dad giving you his Atari and Amiga collection.

You kids with your dads leaving Atari collections to you.  Sheesh...

Yes, which was freaking awesome.

My dad sold (or more likely gave away) my entire Atari/Colecovision collection without asking me about it first.  I think he really gave it away but he told me he sold it to make it seem like he got some sort of deal.  Though I think he said $50.  That was for the system (at that point I just had the Colecovision with the Atari game adapter) plus 50+ games.

As for WW, no he didn't say anything about dungeons.  But like I said, he did imply that nothing was final yet.

#4301 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

the producer confirmed a while ago there are no new dungeons.

http://kotaku.com/st...nd-wa-513413716

new features are hero mode (double damage no hearts), quick sail, tingle island folded into main quest, tingle bottles for miiverse & quicker triforce quest.

#4302 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...hird-party-devs

yikes another dev saying wii u is under powered 

#4303 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...hird-party-devs

yikes another dev saying wii u is under powered 

Who cares, I watched their interview... pointless as far as Nintendo is concern because you know how many games they have developed for Nintendo?

http://en.wikipedia....da_Game_Studios

Plus... have you seen modded Skyrim on PC? They didn't have a problem developing it for PS360 :)   

Anyway, they have not develop anything for Nintendo, they just don't do Nintendo which is perfectly OK.  I am in the mindset that developers should be able to develop for the platform they want, not have to do multiplat everything which the industry pretty much forced them to with the current big budget games often have and console makers moving to a more homogeneous hardware platform.

#4304 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

the producer confirmed a while ago there are no new dungeons.

http://kotaku.com/st...nd-wa-513413716

new features are hero mode (double damage no hearts), quick sail, tingle island folded into main quest, tingle bottles for miiverse & quicker triforce quest.

This for me makes it worth it alone (though quick sail is freaking sweet).  Quicker Triforce?  Meh, I actually liked exploring around hunting for them, even the ones you had to fish for.  But if the Tingle Island part implies not needing a billion Fuck ing rupees to pay tingle to translate the maps... :bouncy:

For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#4305 io

io

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

(Referring to the Bethesda dev link) Exactly, wasabi5858 - there's another dev that simply thinks it would have been convenient if Nintendo had "listened" to them and made the Wii U have the exact same architecture/specs as the X1 and PS4.  Well, duh, of course that would make porting games easier.  It would also have doomed Nintendo for sure because, think about it Timbo, would Sony and MS fanboys all of a sudden jump over to Nintendo if that happened?  Hell no - it would be pointless.  They'd still stick with what they are familiar with.  Nintendo went in a different direction (yet again) because it was really the only way for them to go to differentiate themselves.  If that means no (buggy half-assed) Skyrim port, well, then, so be it :roll:.

#4306 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

Nintendo did listen/get advice from third parties time around though.  Bethesda wasn't one of them, of course, because, publishing wise, Bethesda doesn't produce a lot of games, especially ones of merit (Note:  I'm talking about an overall # of games here, not just Elder Scrolls and Fallout).  It doesn't guarantee they'll get everyone aboard though, as EA has continued their insanity of F2P and multiplayer on every title they release.  Also, some third parties just want a paycheck from console manufacturers, nothing more.  It's easy to spot who those are, thankfully.

The Wii U update should be hitting sometime this month.  I know of one thing in it that got pushed back to a later date, but before Christmas.  The loading times and other things should be addressed this month though.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4307 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAPADOOOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

Picked up Rayman Legends today.  Either I was the only person who preordered it or everyone else already picked theirs up; my vote's on the former.  Ubisoft really shot themselves in the foot by delaying it so close to the holiday season.  Too bad...the game is amazing.

uc.png

#4308 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

(Referring to the Bethesda dev link) Exactly, wasabi5858 - there's another dev that simply thinks it would have been convenient if Nintendo had "listened" to them and made the Wii U have the exact same architecture/specs as the X1 and PS4.  Well, duh, of course that would make porting games easier.  It would also have doomed Nintendo for sure because, think about it Timbo, would Sony and MS fanboys all of a sudden jump over to Nintendo if that happened?  Hell no - it would be pointless.  They'd still stick with what they are familiar with.  Nintendo went in a different direction (yet again) because it was really the only way for them to go to differentiate themselves.  If that means no (buggy half-assed) Skyrim port, well, then, so be it :roll:.

fanboys don't sell systems casual gamers is what pushes out systems this day and age. Till this day i don't understand why nintendo don't put any money into marketing the wii u even at launch we seen very few ads for it. i would say in couple weeks we will be seeing x1/ps4 ads every other tv ad. im not a nintendo hater i have a 3ds that i play more then other systems with that said im very sad how the wii u has turned out after a year.

#4309 io

io

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

Right - and casuals that already play Madden or CoD on 360 would not have picked up a Nintendo system if it had the same specs.  They would have stuck with MS.   I meant "fanboy" for those types - the ones with all their friends playing CoD online every weekend and whatnot.  I've run into these types while travelling for work - guys even my age or older.  I guess they'd be "casual fanboys" and there would be nothing Nintendo could do spec-wise that would make them switch.

Bottom line - if Nintendo had pumped out a MS/Sony clone-box they would be in as bad if not worse shape than they are now (plus losing money on the hardware even more than with the Wii U).

#4310 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

Picked up Rayman Legends today.  Either I was the only person who preordered it or everyone else already picked theirs up; my vote's on the former.  Ubisoft really shot themselves in the foot by delaying it so close to the holiday season.  Too bad...the game is amazing.

The demo was amazing, but after Ubi delayed six months it so they can make it multi-platform, I cancelled my preorder.  Had it been delayed a month or two before it was to come out (much like the first time it was delayed), that's one thing, but to delay it two weeks beforehand when the game was reported as finished?  Screw that.  I'll wait for a price drop, no matter how bad I want to play it.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#4311 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Hell I just don't have time for much new right now period, I seem to mostly have time for Animal Crossing lately and that's because I get to work like 40 minutes early and get a session in before I start. Definitely waiting on a price/drop good sale for Rayman.

#4312 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I did pick up Rayman yesterday and... well, this is two games in a row where I've run into issues.

The Wii U isn't doing well, that's pretty clear. However, it shouldn't be this difficult to find games. For both Splinter Cell and Rayman, I had to go to THREE stores before I found one that was carrying either title, which sort of makes it seem like the 'third parties don't sell on Nintendo' a self-fulfilling prophecy. First party stuff like Pikmin and Luigi U... no problem. However, Wal-Mart and Best Buy were not stocking either Splinter Cell or Rayman. Toys R Us only gets about 2 copies of each new Wii U game now, and the guy working there always makes a point of letting me know I'm the only person that bought a specific title (You're welcome, one copy of Game & Wario!). Gamestop had no pre-orders for Rayman, and I bought the ONLY COPY they received for the Wii U.

This is all anecdotal, sure, but I fear that the bigger threat to the Wii U this fall isn't new systems, but the lack of shelf space. Stores seem to simply not be stocking new third party Wii U titles, which is an issue. It's tough to sell things when they're just... not there. I understand that businesses are still hurting from over-ordering launch titles (Hi, 50 copies of WipeOut!), but it amazes me that it's this difficult to locate new Wii U titles on release day... even if I do appear to be the entirety of the Wii U market in my town. :lol:

#4313 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Someone did mention that Rayman Legends' early figures showed the Wii U version selling better than others. Perhaps in addition to shortage of product, they actually also sold out?

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

RE: XBox ONE

at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4

#4314 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Someone did mention that Rayman Legends' early figures showed the Wii U version selling better than others. Perhaps in addition to shortage of product, they actually also sold out?

Those were EU sales figures since it launched there last week. Haven't read a breakdown of US sales yet.

uc.png

#4315 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Since the US vs. EU thing was already covered (and, really, it still didn't do impressive numbers regardless)... it's definitely just not being carried. Wal-Mart doesn't have a tag for Rayman (yesterday OR today) and they also have never put out Splinter Cell. Best Buy, if they have it, never put it on the floor. The Wii U section is so jam packed  with launch shit there (no joke, 15 copies of WipeOut! and probably the same for Assassin's Creed) that even Pikmin is only stocked in the special 'new release' section.

And GameStop flat out told me that they received one Wii U copy. One. Total.

I just... I mean, I get it. I do. I'm just floored that finding copies of relatively (for the timeframe, anyway) high-profile releases are this difficult to find on release day. I'm not joking when I say that if I wanted a copy of Splinter Cell Wii U *without* that damn GameStop branding, my option was the TWO copies that TRU got. Period. Brick and mortar, anyway. It's not like I live in the middle of nowhere, either. I want to support the Wii U and third party efforts on it, but I'm sensing that's going to become very difficult in the months to come unless I start ordering online (and there's, uh, third party efforts left to support. Sigh.).

#4316 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Ah ok, I missed that. Yeah, I haven't hit B&M for games in a while.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

#4317 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Wii U:        $299

PS4:          $399

Xbox One: $499

I'm eagerly awaiting the Black Friday sales to see what, if anything, retailers are going to offer to get people to buy one over the other.

This Wii U price was what I was waiting for since Day 1 although I'm a little sad that Wind Waker is part of the new bundle. I guess it makes sense since they included a Zelda collection on the Gamecube, but I was hoping for a new title entirely rather than a remake/remaster.

Since I don't own a Wii (my household didn't have DSL until years later) I will have no problems finding a game to play on Wii U. Between Wii/Wii U requests and my excessive backlog of PS2/GC/XBox/PS3 games, trade sites and lowball attendees are going to love me if I get a Wii U and plan on making shelf space.

BTW, has the Virtual Console been fully updated so every game works on the Wii U? If not, did they announce when it will be completed?

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#4318 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

BTW, has the Virtual Console been fully updated so every game works on the Wii U? If not, did they announce when it will be completed?

No and no. It's been a slow trickle. Slower than the original VC output, I think.

#4319 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Just to comment on Legends in stores... when I went to get my Vita copy I had the reverse experience, the guy working pulled out a Wii U copy and seemed unaware it was even on the Vita. Not sure how you can work at a game store and not be up to speed on stuff like that.
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#4320 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Just to comment on Legends in stores... when I went to get my Vita copy I had the reverse experience, the guy working pulled out a Wii U copy and seemed unaware it was even on the Vita. Not sure how you can work at a game store and not be up to speed on stuff like that.

MY BAD JUST GRABBED THE FIRST BLUE CASE I SAW LOLOLLLZ

WOULD YOU LIKE TO PREORDER ANYTHING ELSE THAT I WILL SCREW UP ON LAUNCH DAY

uc.png