• Please log in to reply
6703 replies to this topic

#4681 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Pikmin 3 is really good.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is really good, but it takes some amount of commitment to get into.

NSMBU is pretty good, but you might be hesitant to play it if you played NSMB2 recently, despite NSMBU being vastly superior.

NSLU is definitely better than NSLU, but it is quite a bit harder.

Wind Waker HD is...well, Wind Waker in HD.  It's definitely better paced due to the Quick Sail, and looks better than it does in screenshots/videos, but it is ultimately just a remake.

I've heard that AC4, Batman: AO, Splinter Cell, Deus Ex and Rayman Legends also run really well on Wii U, at least compared to their PS3/360 counterparts, having less glitches, particular game-breaking ones.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4682 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

I am on the fence about getting a Wii U and could use some input. The new Mario/Luigi Bundle has me tempted to make the plunge but the bleak outlook for Wii U has me a bit hesitant (600,000 global sales in a 6 month period is terrible). I have all the other major systems and have the PS4 and Xbone preordered. In general, I only ever play first party titles on Nintendo consoles.

For those who own the Wii U and current gen consoles, how often do you find yourself playing the Wii U? Are you happy with the flow of games for the system (especially first party)? Do you find the multiplatform games to be any better on the Wii U over the other consoles? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

No offense, but why do global sales have any impact on how much fun you'd have with a system?

I use my Wii U almost every day since it has the best versions of Hulu+/Netflix, and ever since Pikmin 3 in August there has been a great game released every 2-3 weeks, mostly first party.  I'm anticipating a dry spell after SM3DW but it should pick up in February with Donkey Kong and then the real hot shit exclusives (SSB, Mario Kart, X) will start coming out.

uc.png

#4683 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

No offense, but why do global sales have any impact on how much fun you'd have with a system?

Not 'fun' but sales absolutely impact third party development.  Not much fun to be had during droughts between first party releases.

#4684 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Not 'fun' but sales absolutely impact third party development.  Not much fun to be had during droughts between first party releases.

Not just that, no one wants to feel like they overpaid and Iwata as said that if this holiday season isn't successful for the Wii U that it will likely be discontinued.  That means that if you pay $300 for that now, you'll be buying into a system with no future games.  It also means that you might be able to find it for 100 or 150 in a few months. 

#4685 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Since when has Nintendo had great third party support?  SNES?

Not just that, no one wants to feel like they overpaid and Iwata as said that if this holiday season isn't successful for the Wii U that it will likely be discontinued.  That means that if you pay $300 for that now, you'll be buying into a system with no future games.  It also means that you might be able to find it for 100 or 150 in a few months. 

Do you honestly believe that will happen?

uc.png

#4686 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'd also add Wonderful 101 to  the list of awesome Wii U titles, I'm having a blast with it.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#4687 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Do you honestly believe that will happen?

Do I believe what?  Do I honestly believe that sales will be bad?  I don't have an opinion on this because I have no idea what sales will be like.  Do I honestly believe that they'll discontinue the product if sales are poor?  Yes, they've said as much.

#4688 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Do I believe what?  Do I honestly believe that sales will be bad?  I don't have an opinion on this because I have no idea what sales will be like.  Do I honestly believe that they'll discontinue the product if sales are poor?  Yes, they've said as much.

Do you honestly believe that the Wii U will be discontinued, marked down to $150 and shuffled off in the next few months when games like SSB, Mario Kart and X are coming out next year?

Or, to put it more succintly:

http://youtu.be/Kk36AY6rDO4?t=24s

uc.png

#4689 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Do you honestly believe that the Wii U will be discontinued, marked down to $150 and shuffled off in the next few months when games like SSB, Mario Kart and X are coming out next year?

Or, to put it more succintly:

http://youtu.be/Kk36AY6rDO4?t=24s

Yes, they've said as much.  There's no reason they have to put those games out on that console.  For all you know they could plan to port to Xbox/PS3 if the console is discontinued.  OR they might be launching another console and plan on having a strong launch lineup.  We don't know what the plan with the games is, all we know is what they said about the future if the sales are poor.

http://mynintendonew...isnt-necessary/

President Satoru Iwata said that the success of Nintendo’s newest console and the future direction of the firm were riding on the performance of a slate of new games during the upcoming holiday sales season. Once those results were in, Nintendo executives would review them to decide “what the company needs to do, over the long-term, about its platform,” Mr. Iwata said.

#4690 moopher

moopher

Electric Pizza

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Lol, I didn't read any quote about how it will be discontinued, only that they will make a decision on what to do...which could be just about anything.

#4691 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Lol, I didn't read any quote about how it will be discontinued, only that they will make a decision on what to do...which could be just about anything.

Okay....you need a lesson in corporate speak.

#4692 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Its the same ol song and dance, how much do you care about Nintendo 1st party is all you need to answer your question.

Yup.  I'm buying the new bundle at some point before Christmas.  Probably this week if I see it in stores.  I love Nintendo first party IP and I always feel a Nintendo system is worth owning with 5+ AAA games available.  Right now on my list are NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Zelda HD (despite it being a remake) and SMB3DW is coming in a couple of weeks.  That's 4. 

I could count NSLU plus there are other games in development that are definitely coming so I'm comfortable buying the console now.  Sometimes I get surprised with how awesome the console is (Gamecube) or really disappointed (Wii) but the core Nintendo games always make it seem like money well spent.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#4693 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

But this is Nintendo corporate speak.  They'll probably offer the Wii U in a variety of colors as the next step.  People love bright shiny colors.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#4694 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Blaster is reading what he wants to read. Doesn't say "of sales are bad we will cancel the wii u"

Selling Call of Duty: Ghosts Steel book for $10 and the GTA hat for $15

Deader2818.png

#4695 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Blaster is reading what he wants to read. Doesn't say "of sales are bad we will cancel the wii u"

What exactly do you think they mean then?

You know what I think it means.  If sales are really bad then they'll discontinue the platform.  Hell, they're already so bad in Europe that they've got negative quarterly sales (20,000 more consoles returned to Nintendo than shipped to stores in the last 3 months).  I don't think that's ever happened to a game platform before.

#4696 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

What exactly do you think they mean then?

It means that if sales aren't good they will think about the future direction of the console.  Like they are doing all day every day whether or not they ever released this statement just like every company in the history of the world does with respect to their products.  That's why "corporate-speak" never really says anything about anything. 

#4697 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

It means that if sales aren't good they will think about the future direction of the console.  Like they are doing all day every day whether or not they ever released this statement just like every company in the history of the world does with respect to their products.  That's why "corporate-speak" never really says anything about anything. 

If you re-read it, they're not doing what they do every day.  They're literally using the coming holiday season's sales to determine "what we need to do about the future of our platform".  No matter how you want to read that, it's really bad news for people buying prior to the decision if the sales turn out bad.  If they don't discontinue the platform then some other drastic move will happen such as another big price cut or a SKU without a Gamepad.  If the former happens then a lot of people will be mad (just like they were about the measly $50 cut) if the latter happens then people with a Gamepad will probably find limited functionality with games going forward.  My opinion is that they'll discontinue it but there are definitely alternatives.

#4698 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Anyway . . .

Anyone else playing Batman: AO on the Wii U? It's pretty fun so far, but I expected the gamepad to be more useful in-game. Gadget-swapping is still mapped to the d-pad. I never played the AC: Armored Edition, but I thought I read they mapped that to the touchscreen? Anyway, it seems like some of the touchpad's potential uses are limited in order to accomodate off-screen play, if that makes sense.

Scanning in detective mode is pretty neat though and is exactly what I look forward to in the next Metroid.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

RE: XBox ONE

at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4

#4699 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Since when has Nintendo had great third party support?  SNES?

Who said anything about great?  But if one would want to examine that perspective (just on the Wii) you'd find all of EAs sports titles, racing games, Rayman, Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox, Okami, Resident Evil 4, Madworld, No More Heroes, Goldeneye, etc.

Support isn't what it used to be but it's hardly the barren wasteland people make it out to be.  Problem is what third party support they do have left seems to be hanging on by a thread.  They can't afford to lose more support.

#4700 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

I dunno if the public will really latch on to it or see it as "just another Mario title" but pretty much every single podcast I listen to has Mario 3D World pegged as a GOTY contender and are WAY more excited about it than anything the Xbox One or PS4 has at launch so hopefully that along with some awesome bundles will really drive some sales.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#4701 moopher

moopher

Electric Pizza

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

You're reading what you want to read. And until you're on the board at Nintendo, you're clueless of what their plan is. Boom.

#4702 io

io

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, Blasterman, I have to say you are reaching there.

First of all, is that a translation of an original Japanese quote? There could be some subtlety there that we are missing. Maybe if an American company said that (as a direct quote) it might have some hidden corporate-speak meaning. But I think with the different language, culture, and the fact that this is stubborn old Nintendo, that is the last interpretation I would have.

It could mean any number of things will be considered:

1) A further price cut
2) Different bundles (other/more games or as Sp00ge suggested different colors)
3) Moving up some big game release dates (which I hope not - don't want Smash or even Kart rushed out)
4) Or simply adjusting expectations that the console will limp along without ever making a ton of money (but still being profitable in the long run).

The last things I would think would happen are discontinuing the system or even producing a Gamepad-less version. As others have said, maybe it means they get to work on the next system just a little earlier and have it ready 5 years after the Wii U launched instead of 6 or 7.

#4703 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

I dunno if the public will really latch on to it or see it as "just another Mario title" but pretty much every single podcast I listen to has Mario 3D World pegged as a GOTY contender and are WAY more excited about it than anything the Xbox One or PS4 has at launch so hopefully that along with some awesome bundles will really drive some sales.

Yeah! It's like 3D without the glasses!:D

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#4704 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Is there a setting I'm missing that's causing the Youtube to just go dark if I don't touch the GamePad screen every few minutes? I don't see it in the app itself, but I don't recall the Netflix app having any sort of screensaver thing that popped up while watching my shows on there. It's really annoying on the YT app since it doesn't do that on the PS3 when a video is playing.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#4705 rocky435

rocky435

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

Its a neat little console but no internet and the fact the wii u needs money put towards buying it's software seems kind of like a waste of time to put it out. Even the author questions who is going to buy it a game collector or the person who just wants to play games on the cheap. 

http://www.forbes.co...-the-us-for-99/

I would get one for 50 bucks but it would just be a collectors item at the end of the day. I do like the red and black color scheme, I would get a wii u in that color. If the wind waker console had been gold and black like the xl I would have gotten it if there was a way to transfer software over to it. 

#4706 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think the Wii U has much better holiday releases this year than the PS4 and XB1.  Granted the Wii U has been out for a year so it should have a better lineup, but I'd rather have a Wii U than a PS4 or XB1 this holiday.  Won't be picking up either next gen console until next spring/summer at the earliest, most likely will wait until this time next year for a few games I'm actually interested in to be released. 

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#4707 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

So has anyone seen the new Mario/Luigi bundle out in the wild?  The press release said November 1 but I haven't seen it yet.

#4708 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Best Buy didn't even have out the M & L Wii remotes yet until I asked them... and then he just brought out 2 for me, but told me they have alot more in the back (because I told him that was odd). I wonder if they're going to have a big ad push for the NSMB Wii U bundle and wii-motes and so they're not putting stock out.

#4709 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Who said anything about great?  But if one would want to examine that perspective (just on the Wii) you'd find all of EAs sports titles, racing games, Rayman, Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox, Okami, Resident Evil 4, Madworld, No More Heroes, Goldeneye, etc.

Support isn't what it used to be but it's hardly the barren wasteland people make it out to be.  Problem is what third party support they do have left seems to be hanging on by a thread.  They can't afford to lose more support.

Apart from Rayman Origins/EA Sports (which are on every system imaginable) and Goldeneye (2010), every game you listed is 2009 or prior.  From summer/fall of 09 to the beginning of 11 there was jack shit for third party Wii games, both on physical media and Wii Ware.  There have been a few bright spots since then but for the most part Nintendo home consoles are first party machines now.  Hopefully things will turn around this holiday season with SMB3DW and all of the bundles being pushed but who knows.

I've only encountered one pair of the Mario & Luigi Wiimotes at a Kmart.  Haven't seen any bundles other than the launch Deluxe and the Wind Waker one.

Also, apparently you can visit select Pottery Barn Teen locations and play SM3DW from now until the end of the month...really not understanding why Nintendo chose to partner with the "teen" version of a chain gift shop not aimed at gamers whatsoever, but yeah, here you go: http://www.pbteen.com/pages/wiiu/

uc.png

#4710 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

for the most part Nintendo home consoles are first party machines now. 

I think I've made peace with this...  if you go in expecting to only play great first party games then most likely the system will be worth it.