• Please log in to reply
6639 replies to this topic

#31 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

For it to matter they have to:

1. Get the big third party games same date as the other consoles.

2. They have to look as good as they do on the other consoles, or at least very close.

3. Controls have to work as well as on the other machines.

I don't think those conditions are unreasonable. The fact that we've yet to hear *anything* on developer impressions of the Wii U, and we're instead hearing Reggie Gor-Blimey speaking in very general terms, makes #1 and #3 unlikely out of the gate.

The point isn't that the Wii U is doomed to fail. Nintendo might hammer out a concept that works in the next 6 months...

...however if the lack of news is any indication, they are doomed to repeat the cycle of the DS and Wii, where developers are waiting to see how it all shakes out. The 3DS experience is probably going to deprive them of early adopters. I think they'll survive the Wii U's first 12-18 months, but it ain't gonna be pretty.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

I think Wii U will get a lot of day-and-date ports once the system's out, maybe games on a 1-2 month delay when it inevitably launches (games released 1-2 months before on the system when it comes out; Madden, GOTY's). I don't know when it's coming out though.

I don't expect stuff like NG3 and Batman:AC to sell though, because those games will come very late and most gamers would have already played it/passed judgement. I think a good indicator will be if GTAV is on Wii U or not. I'm guessing it will, but who the hell knows. They didn't reveal platform specifics, so...yeah.

Like I said before, the only control issues I can see popping up with Wii U is clickable sticks, which is something Nintendo has never had on their system, even with the CC Pro. Otherwise, it's going to be a port machine. Since it runs on similar architecture to a 360, it will probably get every non-retail exclusive it gets for a while at least.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#33 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

There's also just the issue of how comfortable the controller from an ergonomics standpoint. Can they have that big touch screen controller just disappear in your hands like the 360 controller does (IMO).

I'm kind of picky on that stuff though. Controller preference is one reason I went 360 over PS3 as I've never liked the dual shocks.

That's all personal preference though of course.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#34 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:40 AM

The thing is, the fall of the Wii is all on Nintendo. After a pretty good 2010, there was absolutely nothing until Skyward Sword. That is something I couldn't understand, especially with the seeming refusal to release Xenoblade over here. I understand part of it was to push the 3DS, but you just don't completely forget your other platforms.

Problem is they've done this since the N64 era, heard of a game called Dinosaur Planet on N64, well that turned into Starfox Adventures on GC, a little title called LoZ: TP, was delayed in favor of releasing the Wii version before the GC version came out. Another GC title Super Paper Mario was pushed back and turned into a Wii title, and that Kirby game released recently, you got it, another GC--> Wii conversion.

This is old hat for Nintendo at this point, they abandon ship even before the boat starts to sink and then torpedo it themselves, how warped is that. [-(

1. Get the big third party games same date as the other consoles.

I have to say since the NES era they have NOT managed to get stellar 3rd party support, with the Wii Sega's US boss, EA, and Activision all made comments about their misgivings with the Wii publicly, and because of moves like I mentioned above is the main reason why they think that M$ burned devs when they abandoned the Xbox 1 in favor of a new system, Nintendo keeps releasing underpowered systems that don't sell software that isn't gimmick or made by Nintendo themselves and guarantee sales, only Sony has supported a system past the release of their successor. Nintendo is going to have to get with it or prepare for the eventuality that the WiiU will fall into the same trap of the Wii, good hardware sales for the first few years then flagging sales and support because it isn't on par with their competitors.

The comments I've been reading all point to people not wanting a new system for at least 2 years (or more) since they don't feel the current systems (PS3/X360) need upgrades yet, why go against what the general public wants, you're doing nothing but hurting yourself by selling them something they don't want yet, is Nintendo too blind to see this? I honestly don't know what to think about their strategy in the last decade.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#35 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:51 AM

I'd agree with that, but I'd say that it'd since the SNES era, not the NES era. SNES had a lot of great 3rd party games.

Screwing up their partnership with Sony for a disc-based console and going with carts for the N64 was the beginning of their down fall. From then on they've made decisions that make it harder for developers to port games over to their consoles.

And they've just not kept up with the industry and kept focus on kids and families when shooters, WRPGs etc. have became the dominant selling genres as people like me who grew up on Nintendo grew up and moved on to those kind of genres.

Of course I'm not saying they should scrap their franchises etc., just that they failed to also make new franchises to compete with CoD, Halo etc. to keep adult gamers really interested in their platform, while also keeping Mario et al. around for the kids and for nostalgic purchases by older gamers like myself.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#36 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

Provided they're within a year or so of the 720/PS4 releases, I don't think there will be anywhere near the performance gap that there was for the Wii vs. 360/PS3. That was one of the only points from E3 that was intelligible, that they had every intention of meeting "hardcore gamer" expectations in terms of HD and performance.

It all comes down to how all three companies play their cards. If Nintendo continues to cheap out to profit on day one while the other two willingly take a loss to cram in fancy hardware(not to mention launch a 1+ later), then we most definitely will be seeing a big performance gap again.

My fear is that Nintendo is shooting for 360 and PS3 specs, or marginally better, which at this point are 6 years old.

3. Will online be more than an after thought this time around?

They've already said they won't have a unified service and are leaving it up to developers to build their own infrastructures, which is a terrible idea. So a company maximizes their game for XBL & PSN, platforms that already exist, but have to start from scratch to make them playable online for the WiiU, ala PS2? I see ports getting gimped because of this.

Of course I'm not saying they should scrap their franchises etc., just that they failed to also make new franchises to compete with CoD, Halo etc. to keep adult gamers really interested in their platform, while also keeping Mario et al. around for the kids and for nostalgic purchases by older gamers like myself.

Hell they don't even have to make new franchises in these genres, they merely have to make a comparable system with features that can run those games from third parties. Nintendo just doesn't get it when it comes to third party support and they haven't gotten it for 20 years. I don't expect that to change this time out either.

If they aren't going to offer a unified online experience, trophies, friend lists, chat, etc. then there is zero reason for a gamer to purchase the WiiU version of a popular franchise. Couple that in with a lack of a traditional ergonomic controller and you have a recipe for disaster for the core crowd. Like the last 3 consoles, it will remain a dedicated Nintendo franchise console from day one. It's amazing that the bigwigs at Nintendo can't see that after all these years.

#37 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

If they aren't going to offer a unified online experience, trophies, friend lists, chat, etc. then there is zero reason for a gamer to purchase the WiiU version of a popular franchise.

Exactly. Then 3 years after the Wii U releases, people will still be chanting the same things. "Games likes Legend of Zelda: New Game, Metroid Prime 4, and Mario Galaxy 3 are awesome and look great on the Wii U!"

Basically, we'll be boasting how awesome 3 games are, in say.. a 3 year period.

I want to want one of these so bad. I am a true fanboy at heart, but logic has taken over. :(

Online service should be a staple now in current gen consoles. Its tarted way back with the original Xbox, it was improved tremendously with the 360..and I can see it possibly getting better with the '720'. Same for PS4. Their online is OK, but at least they have a similar system like Xbox. There's just no reason for them to NOT have it, and it's sad that people will defend this.

720 and PS4 will get the newest and greatest games, and we'll all be talking about how throwing a frisbee feels "even more real" now with OMG ISLAND VACATION 7. It's just so darn silly. They make suuuuch quality games, along with suuuuch quality systems... why are they just, being silly with their WiiU?!

I demand more info on this. I've already got it pegged as "pretty lame" and am basing it off of the small info we have. HOPEFULLY, that changes.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#38 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

They've already said they won't have a unified service and are leaving it up to developers to build their own infrastructures, which is a terrible idea. So a company maximizes their game for XBL & PSN, platforms that already exist, but have to start from scratch to make them playable online for the WiiU, ala PS2? I see ports getting gimped because of this.

No, we don't know if they're going to have a unified account system or not. It's that simple. What has been implied is that they won't run online matchmaking/servers, I.E. it'll be the PSN approach, where developers front the cash for multiplayer servers.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#39 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Like the last 3 consoles, it will remain a dedicated Nintendo franchise console from day one. It's amazing that the bigwigs at Nintendo can't see that after all these years.

At this point I honestly think they don't care. They must do just fine profit-wise with selling their systems and about a game or 2 per year over the life of the system to the diehards. Anything on top of that (3rd party) is just icing on the cake.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#40 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

At the heart of the console is an 45-nm IBM processor based on the same technology as IBM’s super-computer, Watson, the Jeopardy champion.

I, for one, welcome our new... Wii-U overlords?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#41 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

If they aren't going to offer a unified online experience, trophies, friend lists, chat, etc. then there is zero reason for a gamer to purchase the WiiU version of a popular franchise. Couple that in with a lack of a traditional ergonomic controller and you have a recipe for disaster for the core crowd. Like the last 3 consoles, it will remain a dedicated Nintendo franchise console from day one. It's amazing that the bigwigs at Nintendo can't see that after all these years.

It certainly looks like that is the case.

At this point I'll be shocked if it's not a repeat of the Wii and GC. A handful of great Nintendo Franchise games and another handful of good third party games outside of main genre's like FPS/WRPG.

And I suppose that's fine. We'll still have MS and Sony putting out machines that cater to hardcore gamers who want to play those kind of games. So Nintendo's stuff makes a nice complement to that--just not one worth buying near launch at full price. With the Wii since launch the only games I've really loved are the two Zeldas, Mario Galaxy (still need to play the 2nd), Metroid Prime 3, and NSMB. A few others that were just ok like Paper Mario, and a few more I still need to play like Donkey Kong Country. Just not enough games that interest me on Nintendo consoles to bother with paying launch prices anymore. But enough there, and enough differences from the other consoles, justify a purchase after price drops I guess.

Just a shame as a former die hard Nintendo fan to have lost so much interest in their console and really have had no use for their machines for the past 3 generations beyond nostalgic experiences with their big franchises. When back in the day the NES and SNES were where the majority of the great games were. :(

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#42 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

At this point I honestly think they don't care. They must do just fine profit-wise with selling their systems and about a game or 2 per year over the life of the system to the diehards. Anything on top of that (3rd party) is just icing on the cake.

That and all the money they make selling multiple pricey controllers since the machines are big on local multiplayer. And pricey peripherals like Wii Fit balance boards etc.

The problem is I'm not sure they'll get those soccer mom type purchases anymore. That was likely a one time fad, and all those houses where wii fit boards are gathering dust are unlikely to buy another Wii Fit type game. So sales may go back to being more driven by kids and gamers.

So it would be a logical time to try to appeal more to hardcore gamers, adults who grew up playing Nintendo games etc., but from the little that's been released so far I just don't see much being done to move in that direction.

At most they'll shift back toward the N64/GC model of focusing mainly on the kid/family market and away from the casual gamer/soccer mom market.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#43 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

That and all the money they make selling multiple pricey controllers since the machines are big on local multiplayer. And pricey peripherals like Wii Fit balance boards etc.

The problem is I'm not sure they'll get those soccer mom type purchases anymore. That was likely a one time fad, and all those houses where wii fit boards are gathering dust are unlikely to buy another Wii Fit type game. So sales may go back to being more driven by kids and gamers.

So it would be a logical time to try to appeal more to hardcore gamers, adults who grew up playing Nintendo games etc., but from the little that's been released so far I just don't see much being done to move in that direction.

At most they'll shift back toward the N64/GC model of focusing mainly on the kid/family market and away from the casual gamer/soccer mom market.

Wasn't it kinda the point with that E3 presentation that they were going to work on being more friendly to the core gamer?

Thing is, what Nintendo's core strength has been is kid/family gaming, and I don't see any reason why they should move away from that. They do that better than anyone else. There is a reason why kids own a ton of DSs.

So, accepting that they are going to be that, what you should be hoping for is that at least the features are on par with the other guys so that you can play cross-platform games without feeling like you are missing out on something. Anything beyond that, well, you might as well go with Sony or Microsoft.

It is why I shake my head when someone says that "Nintendo needs their answer to Halo or CoD." No, because that isn't what Nintendo does or is about. Not to mention that there are enough of those type of games out there that Nintendo would look like an also-ran. I would like to see more unique content from Nintendo, rather than mostly leaning on past franchises, but I'm not looking for them to ape what the other guys do.
Posted Image

#44 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

That's definitely all true. My point was just that while they have talked about wanting to do more for the core gamer, I haven't seen anything that indicates they're doing that really. Still have a wonky, non standard controller. Nothing about having an online system comparable to XBL or PSN etc.

As I said above, it's really more just the case that Nintendo isn't really for me any more other than still enjoying their franchise games. As you note, their are two other consoles out that fit my gaming tastes better, so I really have nothing to complain about. Though I don't see why Nintendo can't keep putting out all the kid friendly stuff and also have their answer to Halo or CoD. I'd love to see what some of the Nintendo development teams could do with an FPS game or WRPG type game.....

Anyway, I've just been rambing a bit due to some mild buyer's remorse over picking up a Wii again as I'm sure it will gather dust once I get my hacked Xbox Live account back and move on to playing things like Skyrim and Batman and MW3 etc.

But I'm getting redundant, so I'll bow out of this thread, and these types of discussions here, since this is the Nintendo forum and I'm just not a Nintendo fan anymore. I'll limit myself to discussing the few games on their platform that I do enjoy rather than the merits of the platform.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#45 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

That's definitely all true. My point was just that while they have talked about wanting to do more for the core gamer, I haven't seen anything that indicates they're doing that really. Still have a wonky, non standard controller. Nothing about having an online system comparable to XBL or PSN etc.

The problem right now is that Nintendo hasn't said much about the console itself, which has created a lot of FUD. My theory on that is that things are in flux and until things are nailed down, you aren't going to hear anything. The main thing Nintendo wanted to focus on was the controller and the potentially interesting things that it could do. Everything else is pretty much unknown and can change at a moment's notice.

As I said above, it's really more just the case that Nintendo isn't really for me any more other than still enjoying their franchise games. As you note, their are two other consoles out that fit my gaming tastes better, so I really have nothing to complain about. Though I don't see why Nintendo can't keep putting out all the kid friendly stuff and also have their answer to Halo or CoD. I'd love to see what some of the Nintendo development teams could do with an FPS game or WRPG type game.....

Metroid Prime?

Anyway, I've just been rambing a bit due to some mild buyer's remorse over picking up a Wii again as I'm sure it will gather dust once I get my hacked Xbox Live account back and move on to playing things like Skyrim and Batman and MW3 etc.

But I'm getting redundant, so I'll bow out of this thread, and these types of discussions here, since this is the Nintendo forum and I'm just not a Nintendo fan anymore. I'll limit myself to discussing the few games on their platform that I do enjoy rather than the merits of the platform.

Which is fair enough. To be honest, tho, most should take a wait-and-see approach to what they are going to be doing, because right now it is hard to draw any conclusions based on what we know right now, which is very little. Considering people aren't exactly beating down doors for a new console and Nintendo's competitors aren't likely to release anything new, the silence is fine for the time being.

I just wish while we were waiting that Nintendo would do more for the console that they do have out there.
Posted Image

#46 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Seemed pretty cool to me. If I could put NES emulators on it and watch netflix I could halve the number of crap in my living room. Fingers crossed for upscaled Wii games but I don't see it happening.

The easier to use Wii Fit and SSD seems like a good deal. I use the Wii Fit app all the time and rarely put in the disc.

#47 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

Metroid Prime?

Those games were great and part of what makes me curious about what some of Nintendo's first and 2nd party teams could do with a pure FPS game with no lock on mode, full online MP etc.

But again, no big deal as there are more shooters than I can keep up with on the 360 anyway. Just a case of always being curious about what great developers could do with my favorite genres.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#48 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Problem is they've done this since the N64 era, heard of a game called Dinosaur Planet on N64, well that turned into Starfox Adventures on GC, a little title called LoZ: TP, was delayed in favor of releasing the Wii version before the GC version came out. Another GC title Super Paper Mario was pushed back and turned into a Wii title, and that Kirby game released recently, you got it, another GC--> Wii conversion.

This is old hat for Nintendo at this point, they abandon ship even before the boat starts to sink and then torpedo it themselves, how warped is that. [-(

I don't get why they're so quick to jump ship. I can somewhat understand it if the console was a failure but with the success of the Wii, why bail so soon?

Also, is it just me or has this not been a problem on the handheld side? It seems to me like the DS has gotten good support through the release of the 3DS and while I didn't own a GBA it seemed like it had solid support through the release of the DS.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Mass Effect 3, Super Mario World, FIFA 13

#49 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

The handhelds have pretty good third party support which helped on that front. Those companies are happy to keep making money off huge installed bases.

Nintendo didn't put out much for the GBA after the DS was out, and it's been a good while since they put out a major DS game.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#50 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

I just wish while we were waiting that Nintendo would do more for the console that they do have out there.

They shouldn't have held Pikmin 3 for the WiiU. It would be a great late generation Wii title, but not a great WiiU launch title. It's just a genre of game that is not going to draw people in.

Edited by Corvin, 02 December 2011 - 02:36 AM.

#51 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

No, we don't know if they're going to have a unified account system or not. It's that simple. What has been implied is that they won't run online matchmaking/servers, I.E. it'll be the PSN approach, where developers front the cash for multiplayer servers.

It sounds like they will be even less involved than that from this interview. Of course, you're right, there's a lot of reading between the lines here, but when asked about online plans Reggie answers with "we need to do more online, starting with the launch of our eShop on Nintendo 3DS" it doesn't give me hope for much. That says to me that online to them is only a way to distribute more product, not services. On the flipside, 18 months out, they could have zero online plans at the time and he was just dodging the question.

#52 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

I'd agree with that, but I'd say that it'd since the SNES era, not the NES era. SNES had a lot of great 3rd party games.

Screwing up their partnership with Sony for a disc-based console and going with carts for the N64 was the beginning of their down fall. From then on they've made decisions that make it harder for developers to port games over to their consoles.

And they've just not kept up with the industry and kept focus on kids and families when shooters, WRPGs etc. have became the dominant selling genres as people like me who grew up on Nintendo grew up and moved on to those kind of genres.

The main reason I said that is because NES games were still coming out hot and heavy AFTER the SNES was released, and the SNES swan song was Yoshi's Island in 1996 (the SNES had some really great 1st party titles released in the last few years, but few and far between) but at that point 3rd party development all but froze up as everyone was looking at the Sega CD, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar, and that new fangled PS1 from Sony, while Nintendo said no CD's and dragged their feet to get their new platform released. Which is why ardent supporters of theirs (like Squaresoft, abandoned Nintendo and didn't look back).

I'd say only slightly more developers supported the SNES over the Genesis based on what I remember, but also that 3rd party support was strong for the SNES int he initial years then tapered off (sound familiar) as time when on.

It certainly looks like that is the case.

At this point I'll be shocked if it's not a repeat of the Wii and GC. A handful of great Nintendo Franchise games and another handful of good third party games outside of main genre's like FPS/WRPG.

Just a shame as a former die hard Nintendo fan to have lost so much interest in their console and really have had no use for their machines for the past 3 generations beyond nostalgic experiences with their big franchises. When back in the day the NES and SNES were where the majority of the great games were. :(

But you know the thing is during the GC era they tried, they really did, they had a system on equal footing as the competitors (it was almost as powerful as the Xbox 1) and had considerable multiplatform support from developers only problem is very few 3rd party exclusives and no one seemed to care since if they could play the same game on their PS2 or Xbox (with a nicer controller) why buy it on the GC?

I think their learning they can't live off of casuals alone (which is where they flourished in the first few years until everyone owned a Wii, then system and software sales started to suffer and they wondered why), but their response to this stinks mostly clambering for an answer and a quick fix instead of doing what needs to be done which is a complete overhaul of everything from the system, online infrastructure, and give people what they want, period.

Thing is they aren't doing that now, and I don't see it happening 12 months from now either...

It is why I shake my head when someone says that "Nintendo needs their answer to Halo or CoD." No, because that isn't what Nintendo does or is about. Not to mention that there are enough of those type of games out there that Nintendo would look like an also-ran. I would like to see more unique content from Nintendo, rather than mostly leaning on past franchises, but I'm not looking for them to ape what the other guys do.

What I've always rallied is that they don't need their Halo or CoD, but they need to create some new franchises, Pikmin wasn't the instant hit they hoped for from Miyamoto (like most older creators he might be beyond his creative peak, see Sakaguchi and what he's done at Mistwalker) and what little creativity that the newer creators bring to the table they stymie (see Kirby's Epic Yarn) or use the same formula over and over without adding anything new to the table (the same Pokemon game year in and out instead of a motion controlled Pokemon that everyone would buy in droves) They just don't take risks with software anymore and that is the most damning thing to their longevity, without that innovation they are renowned for, we'll see super polished games like Skyward Sword that are at their core the same game we've seen since 1997 with OoT.

I don't get why they're so quick to jump ship. I can somewhat understand it if the console was a failure but with the success of the Wii, why bail so soon?

Also, is it just me or has this not been a problem on the handheld side? It seems to me like the DS has gotten good support through the release of the 3DS and while I didn't own a GBA it seemed like it had solid support through the release of the DS.

They are realizing they fucked up, plain and simple, problem is they're scrambling to make up for their errors, but that isn't the answer, and I don't honestly know if they know what the answer is, other than taking what they know and grasping at new ideas and hope they work or not (see Wii Fit balance board, heart rate meter, and other gimmicks they promoted during the Wii)

The handhelds haven't had any major competition from anyone, Sega's Gamegear was too expensive (ditto for NEC's Turbo Express) during the GB era, SNK challenged them during the GBA days, but had to bow out because of money issues, then Sony took up the cause, and other than in JPN with the PSP, didn't even dent the DS, with the 3DS lacking software Sony has a chance to strike a hard blow with the Vita, however if they over price it, then Nintendo will slowly pick up steam as their big guns get released and the 3DS might recover and place them back into a position of dominance in the handheld arena, they aren't easy to beat being the king of the hill for so many years.

And with no major competition the developers had no real choice but to develop for Nintendo since they were essentially the only real choice in town if you wanted a piece of the handheld pie. So they equaled unrivaled 3rd party support for their handheld systems.

Why do they bail, if I knew after all of these years, I'd tell you, I really don't know why they just walk away and hope people follow them to their next system, kind of silly way of doing things if you ask me...

They shouldn't have held Pikmin 3 for the WiiU. It would be a great late generation Wii title, but not a great WiiU launch title. It's just a genre of game that is going to draw people in.

They shouldn't have held many games from one system to another (as I've pointed out in this thread, yet they continue to do so again and again) to help support the new platform with ready to go software and leave the old system to die unloved. Otherwise we'd have saw Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Earth Seeker and other big name titles even NoE can see will sell large amounts being released and still supported all the way up to the WiiU's launch and through it.

What I don't understand, is NoA's unbridled emnity with the US market in the last 15 years. Both NCL and NoE treat their fans many times better than NoA does (look at software support and their Club Nintendo offerings if you don't believe me), but NoA doesn't seem to care it's like the US is a red headed step child that gets the left overs and only when they can be bothered, makes no sense really, which is really sad, ya know. :cry:
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#53 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Yeah there are as many games coming out for the DS as 3DS, at least here in the US. There were new kirby and layton DS games out this fall and the 3DS has been available a good 8 months.

#54 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

Okay so I have some real questions about the viability of the Wii U to run "hardcore" ports. My doubt about this ability is the same reason I would even consider buying this console. It will use the current generation Wii Motion Plus controller as it's main controller (as stated in last year's E3). Now that's a great thing for those of us that already own a Wii, who ever heard of a console using a previous generation's controllers/accessories. Consoles makes make a lot of money selling that shit and we spend a lot of cash. This means if they sell a really cheap Wii U that has nothing but the console and the "tablet" controller for less that a lot of us can pull the Wii out of it's spot in the entertainment center, replace it with the Wii U, synch our existing stuff with it and we're good to go. That's a great deal, as long as we can get the Wii upgrade console at a reasonable price. This is also the reason I question it's ability to port current generation games from the other two consoles. Those consoles have controller with buttons that are simply not present on the WiiMote. How will we do a proper shooter with only the nunchuck having an analogue stick and there would be a bunch of shoulder buttons missing that are needed to shoot....

#55 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Presumably the tablet controller will have a bunch of buttons and would be used for ports.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#56 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Presumably the tablet controller will have a bunch of buttons and would be used for ports.

It would be pretty thick if it has shoulder buttons. I would definitely have to wonder how comfortable it would be to hold a large tablet as your controller for extended periods.

#57 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

There is also the classic controller pro, which could get more love in the next generation with ports.
Posted Image

#58 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

I am more concerned with how long the tablet's battery will last, there better be a way to tether it to the console with a very long cord so you can plug it in when the battery is low and keep playing. Nintendo hasn't done very well with battery life on the 3DS. If battery life is low people will just plug the tablet into the console and use it as a wired controller all the time, defeating the purpose of being able to move it around.

I don't see the point of buying games that have already been released on other systems on the Wii U. Xbox 360 games are already down in price and the Wii U versions will be released at full price so why should I pay more for a game that is cheaper on another system? Moreover why should consumers buy the same game they have already played on the other system. The cost of games must also be considered, Xbox games drop very quickly in price, while Wii games take significantly longer to drop in price. I expect that to be the same with the Wii U. I can't imagine the Wii U version being so great that it would warrant another $60 purchase when the consumer has already played the same game on the Xbox 360.

I don't think they will be able to convince the moms and grandparents to buy the Wii U again, they already have the Wii and they are most likely satisfied with their purchase and probably don't want another one. If they weren't satisfied with their purchase then Nintendo will have no luck trying to get them to buy another one of their products. The casuals will buy whatever is hot in the electronics marketplace, so they have probably already moved on from the Wii and have moved onto something else. A lot of people bought the Wii just on the premise that it was hard to find and something hot to have. I don't think Nintendo will be able to repeat that again. The casuals are now satisfied with their smartphones that everyone has and facebook games for the amount of gaming that they do.

#59 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

That's the first time I've seen anyone bring up the subject of the battery life of the tablet. I'm guessing that it won't be an issue since the Wii U will be handling all of the processing and the tablet will just be handling displaying the image and sending the input back to the Wii U but it would be a definite issue if it doesn't have adequate battery life.

Do Wii games really drop in price lower than other systems? Or is it just 1st party games that drop in price a lot slower? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like most multi-platform games (the new Rayman game and Tiger Woods 12 come to mind as recent examples) drop as quickly on the Wii as other systems.

I agree about the casual market, I can't see them catching lightning in a bottle again and the tablet controller doesn't seem like the hook that motion controls were. For the core gamers, I have a feeling they're putting themselves in the Dreamcast situation by releasing so far ahead of the others that they're going to be underpowered and most gamers are going to wait and see what the new Microsoft and Sony consoles offer, especially if Wii U isn't that far head of the current consoles technologically.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Mass Effect 3, Super Mario World, FIFA 13

#60 Droogs

Droogs

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Okay so I have some real questions about the viability of the Wii U to run "hardcore" ports. My doubt about this ability is the same reason I would even consider buying this console. It will use the current generation Wii Motion Plus controller as it's main controller (as stated in last year's E3). Now that's a great thing for those of us that already own a Wii, who ever heard of a console using a previous generation's controllers/accessories. Consoles makes make a lot of money selling that shit and we spend a lot of cash. This means if they sell a really cheap Wii U that has nothing but the console and the "tablet" controller for less that a lot of us can pull the Wii out of it's spot in the entertainment center, replace it with the Wii U, synch our existing stuff with it and we're good to go. That's a great deal, as long as we can get the Wii upgrade console at a reasonable price. This is also the reason I question it's ability to port current generation games from the other two consoles. Those consoles have controller with buttons that are simply not present on the WiiMote. How will we do a proper shooter with only the nunchuck having an analogue stick and there would be a bunch of shoulder buttons missing that are needed to shoot....

We've been using the same Playstation controller since 1997.