Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6634 replies to this topic

#871 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

I hope newegg has another pre-order deal soon so I can pick up some Wii-U games for sub $50.

I need a new signature.

#872 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'm kind of surprised by how good this launch line-up is, too... Including NintendoLand, I'll be getting three games, but there are at least 9 more that I would really like to play. Best console launch ever? Quite possibly.

Rock solid for sure, but I think I gotta give best launch to the US launch of Dreamcast.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#873 io

io

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I've got Pikmin 3 preordered thanks to the $42 trade-in value of the Dual Shock 3. ($30 base + $3 for PUR and $9 for the 30% promo on certain game preorders). I'll probably go do another tomorrow for NSMB U. I really wasn't planning on getting that right away, but I think my 4 year-old is the perfect fit for using the pad to draw blocks, etc. Or maybe I should get Rayman instead?? Not sure...

Funny how old, worn out PS3 controllers are turning into Wii U games for me though ;).

#874 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm not pre-ordering Pikmin 3 til there's a solid release date, I'm pretty sure it's not out this year.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#875 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm playing Rayman Origins now with my kids and it is indeed great, especially coop. So Legends is definitely on my list. It looks awesome.

#876 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Went ahead and pre-ordered Mario and ZombiU at GameStop, mainly so I can make it a one-stop shopping kind of day. If Rayman or Pikmin gets an official Nov. 18th date, I'll jump on those in a heartbeat.

Also, this may not be hugely relevant, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for the Pro controller. I put an order in for black, if only because I remember even remotes being a bitch to find when the Wii launched. I don't think it's going to be the same with the Pro, but it's a nice 'better safe than sorry' option with no money down and an easy return policy.

So, uh, provided GameStop actually comes through with a system, I think I'm set.

Fingers crossed, right?

#877 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm playing Rayman Origins now with my kids and it is indeed great, especially coop. So Legends is definitely on my list. It looks awesome.

I just started Rayman Origins and it is amazing. One of the best games this gen.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#878 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Welp, looks like I am gonna grab Darksiders 2 at launch. So looks like gaming plan is this. Borderlands 2 then Dishonored then beat Darksiders for D2 then Rayman Origins if I have enough time for Rayman Legends.

I know I can get Darksiders 2 for PC for cheaper but might as well get it for Wii-U, what the hell.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#879 Scobie

Scobie

CAG City Rocker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Also, this may not be hugely relevant, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for the Pro controller. I put an order in for black, if only because I remember even remotes being a bitch to find when the Wii launched. I don't think it's going to be the same with the Pro, but it's a nice 'better safe than sorry' option with no money down and an easy return policy.

GameStop is also taking preorders for the pro controller. Given how many controllers I wore out on the GameCube and 360, and the price of a new Wii U gamepad, I think getting a pro controller is pretty prudent for use with games that don't necessarily require the gamepad to help prolong its life.
Posted Image

#880 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

I hope they have any easy/fast way to switch players, because everyone's going to want a turn on the tablet controller in local coop. Of course I'm presuming it has accounts and not just one account per WiiU. I certainly hope it does.

#881 Josh5890

Josh5890

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Rayman Lengends has release date of Dec. 4th on amazon and gamestop.com, which is a tuesday. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I need a new signature.

#882 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

I hope my connection at a local game store pays off.... Otherwise I'Ll be waiting in line on launch night...

#883 Josh5890

Josh5890

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

http://mynintendonew..._medium=twitter

Platinum Games wants to make a Star Fox game. Make it happen!

I need a new signature.

#884 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

We've known that for a couple of years now. It will probably happen. At least we'll have a Star Fox themed stage in Bayonetta 2. Probably.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#885 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

http://mynintendonew..._medium=twitter

Platinum Games wants to make a Star Fox game. Make it happen!

I am all for this. At least it's not Tecmo :lol:.
Posted Image

#886 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

I know we're way too far out for both consoles, but does anyone think that I might be able to share an external HDD with my Ouya and Wii U? It would be much nicer if I could get away with having one external hard drive instead of two for the consoles, but I'm not really sure how that would work.
Posted Image

#887 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

I know we're way too far out for both consoles, but does anyone think that I might be able to share an external HDD with my Ouya and Wii U? It would be much nicer if I could get away with having one external hard drive instead of two for the consoles, but I'm not really sure how that would work.

It might if both use the same format. Like if both are formatted Fat 32 or NTFS then maybe. Depends if both need you to format the drive too. It's a possibility that they well, then again there is a possibility that they wont. Although with the Ouya, you can probably just work like a 16gb flash drive and be fine. Android games are not too big.
Posted Image

#888 io

io

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Completely anecdotal and just a sample of one, but I was talking to some relatively tech-savvy parents of one of my kids friends and they were pretty clueless about the Wii U. The father thought it was a portable add-on for the Wii and the mother had never heard of it at all. And this conversation was going on in their living room while their daughter was surfing Netflix on their Wii (and they own a 360 too) so they are familiar with current consoles. And these are also people that wait in line to get new iPhones...

So, yeah, not a good sign there for Nintendo - people who bought a Wii early on (after playing it at our house), are around 40 years old, and fairly tach savvy (they own a software company) yet having little idea about the Wii U even after the official release announcement last week.

It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things but I'd say Nintendo definitely has some work to do on ads/branding for this thing.

#889 Mad D

Mad D

CAG lurker since 04

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Did Target have in store preorders as well? I went in and saw no displays or signage about it. I asked someone working there but they were pretty clueless about it.

I missed out on all the online preorders because I was going to wait awhile but my girlfriend suddenly decided that she wanted to get a deluxe model for me.

#890 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

So, yeah, not a good sign there for Nintendo - people who bought a Wii early on (after playing it at our house), are around 40 years old, and fairly tach savvy (they own a software company) yet having little idea about the Wii U even after the official release announcement last week.

It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things but I'd say Nintendo definitely has some work to do on ads/branding for this thing.

I'm not exactly sure how much marketing Nintendo really has to do in the next 2 months. There hasn't been a new console for 6 years now, pre-orders at various retailers were stopped after 48 hours in most cases, and the impressions of the Nintendo-published titles have gradually improved each time they've been shown. Won't the stories about sell-outs at launch sort of do the job for Nintendo, at least through the end of the year?
\\:D/

#891 io

io

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'm not exactly sure how much marketing Nintendo really has to do in the next 2 months. There hasn't been a new console for 6 years now, pre-orders at various retailers were stopped after 48 hours in most cases, and the impressions of the Nintendo-published titles have gradually improved each time they've been shown. Won't the stories about sell-outs at launch sort of do the job for Nintendo, at least through the end of the year?

Right, but outside of game sites, does anyone know of the preorder sellout? And like I said, this guy wasn't even aware it was a new system - just thought it was a new controller or portable version of the Wii. So while it may be the newest console in 6 years, do people (ie, the masses) even know it is a new console?

If it sells out in November and becomes a hot Christmas item, for sure people will hear about it. But is that all Nintendo is counting on? It may very well work, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt to do a little work to differentiate this from the Wii. I used to think that was silly until I saw it for myself yesterday (that people can be confused about exactly what this thing is).

#892 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

I have no doubt there will be confusion. The best comparison I have is the yearly iPhone iterations.

I think Nintendo has done a bit to differentiate the Wii U between the Wii already, but it's mainly very subtle thus far.

#1 - The boxes being White and Blue instead of Black
#2 - The tablet being on the forefront instead of the Wii Remote
#3 - The HDMI cable is actually a neat pack-in, considering Sony and Microsoft don't include them
#4 - The game boxes aren't near carbon copies of the 3DS boxes

These aren't really prominent changes, but it's a good start to make it look like a new product.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#893 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Nintendo has not as of yet started any PR blitz outside of its Nintendo Direct events, so it isnt surprising there isnt much in the way of mindshare outside of the self selecting sort.

We'll probably see something in terms of advertising and national media coverage in late October to early November.

#894 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I think the box for the WiiU is just about the most boring console box ever. It's like they were trying to make it look dull.

#895 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

I think the box for the WiiU is just about the most boring console box ever. It's like they were trying to make it look dull.

?? It is just like the Wii box, a simple shot of the unit being offered, albeit a shot that masks the slightly weird looking proportions of the Wii U console itself.

It is very Apple like (and now Amazon) in it's nature and that's a good thing.

#896 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Nintendo has not as of yet started any PR blitz outside of its Nintendo Direct events, so it isnt surprising there isnt much in the way of mindshare outside of the self selecting sort.

We'll probably see something in terms of advertising and national media coverage in late October to early November.

All they have to do is get on Good Morning America, The View and Ellen saying this is the new hot product of the season for kids. Wii-U is now selling like hotcakes outside of gamers.
Posted Image

#897 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'll guess it'll be on Good Morning America, Ellen and Jimmy Fallon. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#898 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

?? It is just like the Wii box, a simple shot of the unit being offered, albeit a shot that masks the slightly weird looking proportions of the Wii U console itself.

It is very Apple like (and now Amazon) in it's nature and that's a good thing.

Perhaps they are trying to be like Apple, but I don't think they succeeded. But that's just a matter of IMHO, of course.

#899 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I've been harping on how WIIU is effectively unknown to current Wii owners for a while now not to troll, but to point out exactly that: it's the follow-up to one of Nintendo's most successful consoles, and people don't realize that. We're 60 days from launch and people still don't know. I know exactly 1 Wii family who knows what the WIIU is (and they know they're not buying, at least not at launch). Everybody else either doesn't know or has ridiculous questions that suggest they think the WIIU is an accessory, along the lines of "Does the iPad-thingie let me use the iPad apps?" (yes, that was real).

I don't know how you can ignore these signs or pretend that Nintendo's playing a calculated game here. So much of the WIIU, whether it's the console, the library, or the marketing, is just all over the place or up in the air. Nintendo's still using these 60 days to figure out how they want to sell this. The recent release on Nintendoland needing the Network for effectively Miis only is a good example they're working out tactics through public announcements rather than having planned it out in advance (as they should -- they certainly had time for it).

And to answer the point on there not being no network co-op play in Nintendoland: yes, I know it isn't a revelation to Nintendo fans, but I think it may be to many others. Especially given that the charge for the Nintendo Network places an emphasis on that feature and perhaps creates the expectation of online co-op play in notable titles. I don't offer it as a criticism of Nintendoland, I'm just pointing out that in drumming up "features" for the WIIU announcement, it's clear they didn't think it through. They should have anticipated that question rather than stammering their way through a response to it.

Anyhow, if they're looking for grassroots/viral type stuff, they're stuck. If they have a plan, it's very delayed. No matter, I don't care how many GS pre-orders are out there, that's not nearly as much an indicator of future success as the current PR/marketing void.

I guess the plan is for lightening to strike twice. Good luck with it, N.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#900 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

I dunno... I think it looks like pretty standard.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Yeah, most normal people usually don't pay attention to these kind of events. I remember being able to pre-order my Wii pretty easily and everything went nuts shortly after launch (if I remember correctly).

Nintendo still has to do lots more of these Wii U experience things like they did with the Wii experiences at malls and stuff. I don't think they've done any TV yet and I will be very surprised if they don't do a big ad in the previews of Disney's Wreck it Ralph.

It's still September. People aren't thinking about Christmas yet.
Posted Image