Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6693 replies to this topic

#1021 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

gah, i need my wii and sd card to do a system transfer? are my 3 virtual console games really that worth the current TIV promo? meh...i guess not.

#1022 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

EA continues to not like my money. Thanks EA, I will take my dirty money elsewhere.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1023 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Trying to clarify if the Wii U will output 720p using the Wii component cable. I just sent nintendo this email asking them this. I will let you know the response I receive.

Hi. I'm very excited about the Wii U. In fact I preordered a deluxe set a few days after it being announced. My question regards hookup up of the Wii U. My Wii is currently hooked up to my 720p LCD with Component video cables (green, red, blue video plugs and red/white audio plugs) which gives me 480p from the wii. I know the Wii U does 720p and I know the component cable I have my wii hooked up to will physically fit the Wii U. My question is will the Wii U output 720p to my HDTV using my current Wii component cable. I can't find an answer for this anywhere and since my lcd only has one hdmi port I need to know before receiving my Wii U. Also, will I be able to transfer my Wii games and game saves over to the Wii U? Does the Wii U show play history like the Wii and if so will it show the play history for my Wii games and Virtual consoles games? Thanks so much for any information you can give me regarding this.

#1024 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Was in NYC today and we took our kids to the Nintendo World Store. I was hoping they'd have the WiiU on display. They did not. :( I asked the greeting person and they didn't know when they'd have it on display, but the guy standing next to him with a different shirt had an off the record answer - two more weeks. So anyone in NYC or thereabout might want to check them out in a few weeks.

Crunchewy.png

#1025 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Was in NYC today and we took our kids to the Nintendo World Store. I was hoping they'd have the WiiU on display. They did not. :( I asked the greeting person and they didn't know when they'd have it on display, but the guy standing next to him with a different shirt had an off the record answer - two more weeks. So anyone in NYC or thereabout might want to check them out in a few weeks.

Cool. It's a block from my office so I'll definitely check it out.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1026 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

Dear Electronics Arts,

You have made it clear that you do not desire my money. Therefore, you will not have it. Ever. You not have it on PS3. You will not have it on 360. You will not have it on Wii U, PS4, Xbox 720 or 8. You will not, will not have my money.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1027 Cheapskate

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Dear Electronics Arts,

You have made it clear that you do not desire my money. Therefore, you will not have it. Ever. You not have it on PS3. You will not have it on 360. You will not have it on Wii U, PS4, Xbox 720 or 8. You will not, will not have my money.

What am I not seeing?

#1028 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

Trying to clarify if the Wii U will output 720p using the Wii component cable. I just sent nintendo this email asking them this. I will let you know the response I receive.

Hi. I'm very excited about the Wii U. In fact I preordered a deluxe set a few days after it being announced. My question regards hookup up of the Wii U. My Wii is currently hooked up to my 720p LCD with Component video cables (green, red, blue video plugs and red/white audio plugs) which gives me 480p from the wii. I know the Wii U does 720p and I know the component cable I have my wii hooked up to will physically fit the Wii U. My question is will the Wii U output 720p to my HDTV using my current Wii component cable. I can't find an answer for this anywhere and since my lcd only has one hdmi port I need to know before receiving my Wii U. Also, will I be able to transfer my Wii games and game saves over to the Wii U? Does the Wii U show play history like the Wii and if so will it show the play history for my Wii games and Virtual consoles games? Thanks so much for any information you can give me regarding this.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting us. I can certainly appreciate your interest in finding out more about Wii U so you can be prepared when it is launched! I can tell you Wii U will be compatible with the component cables you have for your Wii console, which should work to output 720p on your TV. In case you were not already aware, the system also comes with a high-speed HDMI cable which is capable of going up to 1080p.

Regarding your question about transferring Wii games and save data, I can tell you that we are planning to make it possible to perform a system transfer from a Wii console to a Wii U console. This process will transfer any Wii Shop Channel purchases over to the new system; however, at this time we do not have more details to know if this will also include any save data on your Wii console. I know you were hoping for a confirmation about this, and I can only recommend that you continue checking our website as more information is released.

It is worth noting that to perform a system transfer from a Wii console to a Wii U will require an Internet connection, an SD card for the Wii U console, and you must have both systems in your possession.

We also do not have any information to suggest if Wii U might have a way to view your play history for games like the Wii console has. Again, I know you were hoping for more information, and I appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns you are welcome to contact us again. In the meantime, everything we have available to share regarding Wii U has been added to our website. On our website you can find additional details, such as the price, many of this system's innovating features, and a lineup of the games that will be released for this magnificent new home console. Here's a direct link:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Sincerely,

Crystal L. Odam
Nintendo of America Inc.

#1029 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

What am I not seeing?

EA announced Mass Effect Trilogy for 360 and PC to release on November 7th, with PS3 coming at a later unknown date, the first game included, something thought to be impossible due to publishing rights. Essentially they're releasing this Trilogy for people who have never played a Mass Effect game before, but aren't going to bring it out on the platform where the potential audience is likely to have not played it before, and therefore won't get the complete story when EA has clearly shown interest in releasing the full story together on other platforms.

Wii U buyers are getting shafted REALLY badly here. And unfortunately, it will likely lead EA to say 'we won't support Wii U because our games don't sell on it' when they basically compromised sales of ME3:SE by releasing Trilogy on other platforms and not Wii U.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1030 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

That does suck, but I'll probably buy the trilogy for Xbox because I have never played any of them. :shrug:

Crunchewy.png

#1031 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Wii U buyers are getting shafted REALLY badly here. And unfortunately, it will likely lead EA to say 'we won't support Wii U because our games don't sell on it' when they basically compromised sales of ME3:SE by releasing Trilogy on other platforms and not Wii U.

If they did the Trilogy for Wii-U I might have bought it just to show Wii-U support (I love ME 1 and 2, but you could not pay me to play ME 3 again). I have no interest in buying ME3. Hell, I don't even know an EA game I do have interest in anymore.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1032 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

oh...i thought you didn't want to give EA money anymore because of the new Origins EULA where they store your info and save it for their marketing and other purposes.

#1033 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

oh...i thought you didn't want to give EA money anymore because of the new Origins EULA where they store your info and save it for their marketing and other purposes.

#-o

Well I might never buy an EA game again. I mean the last good EA game I played was ME 2 (or Dragon Age 1, forgot which came first).
Posted Image

#1034 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

Yeah I've been saying all along that ME3 as a release makes no goddamn sense. Who would buy it? A collection of the trilogy with all DLC and revamped Wii U controls makes plenty of sense I would snatch that right up. But no, let's release the 3rd entry in a very layered series where the whole theme is the decisions you make throughout the series matter.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1035 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

^I was kind of hoping they would come out and say "surprise - we were planning the trilogy for wii u all along!", but alas. I kind of wanted to buy the Wii version and mess around with the touch controls- but when it sits side by side with the trilogy for the same price, I just can't pull the trigger.
Spoiler

#1036 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

It might be wishful thinking, but EA might release Mass Effect 1 & 2 on the eShop. They are confirmed to be releasing Mass Effect 1 on PSN as a separate download sometime after November 6.
\\:D/

#1037 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

It might be wishful thinking, but EA might release Mass Effect 1 & 2 on the eShop. They are confirmed to be releasing Mass Effect 1 on PSN as a separate download sometime after November 6.

It's still not a good deal for Wii U buyers though. You'd basically be asking ME3:SE buyers to pay an extra $30-$40 total for the other 2 games after they've already played through the final act.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1038 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

I bet it's because the graphics in ME1, while good, aren't going to be as nice looking as Nintendo would like for a "next-gen" console (it is like 4 or 5 years old at this point). Maybe if they re-skinned it but that sounds like a lot of work...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1039 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Keep in mind that they had to port ME3 to the WiiU. It's not like it was just a re-release, which is what the trilogy is on the other platforms (with the exception of ME1 on PS3). I'm not saying it's a good deal, but bringing ME1 and 2 to the WiiU would be a lot more effort than it was to just put the discs in a new box on the Xbox. Plus the trilogy is kind of stupid on the Xbox anyway - it's cheaper to buy the 3 games separately.

Crunchewy.png

#1040 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Keep in mind that they had to port ME3 to the WiiU. It's not like it was just a re-release, which is what the trilogy is on the other platforms (with the exception of ME1 on PS3). I'm not saying it's a good deal, but bringing ME1 and 2 to the WiiU would be a lot more effort than it was to just put the discs in a new box on the Xbox. Plus the trilogy is kind of stupid on the Xbox anyway - it's cheaper to buy the 3 games separately.

Yeah it's gonna be a lot of work. It just looks bad when the Wii-U has only ME3 when around the same time, every other system gets the first two games in a collection for the same price.
Posted Image

#1041 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

It's probably true that they'd have been better off just not releasing an ME game at all, as opposed to ME3 alone.

Crunchewy.png

#1042 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

No it isn't. There are lots of times when sequels only end up on a next gen system. This is aimed at showing the hard core gamers that these types of titles will be coming to WiiU. I just hope that EA doesn't make future decisions based off these sales numbers because it likely won't sell as well as the others, but not for reasons of system owner demographics (which they might mistakenly conclude).

#1043 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

No it isn't. There are lots of times when sequels only end up on a next gen system. This is aimed at showing the hard core gamers that these types of titles will be coming to WiiU. I just hope that EA doesn't make future decisions based off these sales numbers because it likely won't sell as well as the others, but not for reasons of system owner demographics (which they might mistakenly conclude).

What I would of loved is Dragon Age 1 just to show hey, touchscreen controls (as of touch to use ability) make this game almost as awesome as the PC game.

I am still glad they are bringing ME3 over but just the wrong time to announce a collection of ME games.
Posted Image

#1044 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I am still glad they are bringing ME3 over but just the wrong time to announce a collection of ME games.

While I have no interest in playing ME in any form, I agree with the general consensus on this one.

On one hand, EA is shooting themselves in the foot by releasing the trilogy and the Wii U version simultaneously, potentially hurting sales on both sides.

On the other hand, at least they are showing their cards on the table prior to the Wii U release to avoid buyer's remorse, as I'm sure plenty of people would be upset if they plunked down $60 for the Wii U version, only to have the trilogy be announced a few months later.

Economically for them, staggering the releases seems to be the better solution anyways, but I what do I know?

#1045 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have a question, with the VC are they going to shut down the VC (aka the whole marketplace) for the original Wii console once the Wii U hits? I have some points stashed away and I need to know if I should spend them now before they become useless, thanks.

#1046 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

I have a question, with the VC are they going to shut down the VC (aka the whole marketplace) for the original Wii console once the Wii U hits? I have some points stashed away and I need to know if I should spend them now before they become useless, thanks.

I believe they will still keep the old Wii Shop Channel up for just the Wii, so your current points will still be valid for some time.

According to this Nintendolife article, however, they may not be selling the old retail cards anymore, and you may have to rely on buying the points through the Wii Shop Channel in the future. I believe most (if not all) of the current Wii Shop Channel content will be available on the new Wii U eShop (if that is what it's called), not sure if the points will actually transfer from shop to shop, though.

#1047 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I believe they will still keep the old Wii Shop Channel up for just the Wii, so your current points will still be valid for some time.

According to this Nintendolife article, however, they may not be selling the old retail cards anymore, and you may have to rely on buying the points through the Wii Shop Channel in the future. I believe most (if not all) of the current Wii Shop Channel content will be available on the new Wii U eShop (if that is what it's called), not sure if the points will actually transfer from shop to shop, though.

What I would like to see is the ability to buy only what you need and not in incremental amounts (like XBL as well) I still have 100 wii points I'll never use on my account all because I had to scour lists to see what I wanted and couldn't find anything that I wanted to cover that last 100 points, so it's been sitting on there and probably will forever.

I know the rumor that MS was planning to convert to real money might happen, so here's hoping Nintendo does the same.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#1048 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

What I would like to see is the ability to buy only what you need and not in incremental amounts (like XBL as well) I still have 100 wii points I'll never use on my account all because I had to scour lists to see what I wanted and couldn't find anything that I wanted to cover that last 100 points, so it's been sitting on there and probably will forever.

I know the rumor that MS was planning to convert to real money might happen, so here's hoping Nintendo does the same.

That's already the case on 3DS, so it'll probably carry over to Wii U.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1049 io

io

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have a several Wii Points cards that I better deal with one way or another. If that means dumping them onto my old Wii and buying games with the expectation that they all transfer to the Wii U then so be it. Or maybe I can just sell those cards. I dunno, but I better deal with it soon.

Hell, I still have a launch DSi system with the 1000 points that came with it - never used them.

And the conversion to real money would be the end of buying Xbox Live games for me for the most part. I really hope that never happens. Real money is never on sale or clearance - points cards are. That's why I'm pretty much never going to buy a game for the 3DS (or, I guess, the Wii U) - I'll just get the "free" ones from Club Nintendo. It is especially bad with Nintendo since they don't ever (or very infrequently at least) have their downloadable games on sale. On the 360 I love getting discounted/sale games even cheaper with discounted/sale points cards.

#1050 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

And the conversion to real money would be the end of buying Xbox Live games for me for the most part. I really hope that never happens. Real money is never on sale or clearance - points cards are.

Agreed. I never quite understood the anti-points argument. Sure you may end up with $.40 cents left in points in your account but if you saved $5 when you bought the card then who cares?