Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6673 replies to this topic

#1081 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Tank Tank Tank should be like a $30 title. It should also be online. I went ahead and put money down on New Super Mario Bros. U & Darksiders II yesterday. That plus Nintendoland should keep me busy for awhile after launch.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1082 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

I agree it should be cheaper, but I really enjoy the EDF style it has to it and still play BattleTanx: Global Assault to this day, so it's kind of mixing 2 niche games/genres that I really enjoy into one which is why I'm probably gonna get it at launch.

Edit: I don't think I'm going to get it at that price now that I think about it, Mario + NintendoLand + ZombiU will last me a good amount of time and Tank!x3 will probably drop in price rather quickly.

Edited by MoCiWe, 10 October 2012 - 08:43 AM.

659629.png?68329996

#1083 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

http://iwataasks.nin...iiu/console/0/0

#1084 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

So we're basically a month away from launch. Could there be any less hype for this machine? I haven't seen any marketing. No in store displays. Nothing. Very strange launch.

#1085 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

So we're basically a month away from launch. Could there be any less hype for this machine? I haven't seen any marketing. No in store displays. Nothing. Very strange launch.

We're still 4 weeks away, outside of Gamestop no retail shop is going to dedicate 8 feet of shelf space to promoting a product that isnt available. Demo stations for the Wii didnt show up at Gamestop until late October.

Nintendo of America does marketing fairly well. I'm certain that starting the first week of November we'll see Reggie doing the usual PR stops on Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, and other shows to promote the console.

The entire first batch of consoles is going to sell out just to hardcore fans. Thus, marketing isnt needed for launch, but rather it is used to lay the ground work for Christmas sales to families (non-traditional gamers) and to generate news by getting PR coverage of the initial sell-out.

TL/DR: Nothing is unusual about the Wii U launch at this time.

#1086 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

This isn't Nintendo's first rodeo. They know what they are doing as far as marketing is concerned.

I need a new signature.

#1087 xCappax

xCappax

Real Madrid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

lol

#1088 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Nintendo of America does marketing fairly well. I'm certain that starting the first week of November we'll see Reggie doing the usual PR stops on Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, and other shows to promote the console.

He was already on Jimmy Fallon. They threw stars at ninjas using the tablet. It was awkward. I don't know about this go-around, but they only promoted the Wii once on Late Night IIRC.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1089 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

OUCH:

http://www.examiner....teaser-released

#1090 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

I don't know if I'd call it "ouch" exactly. I'd challenge people to see the difference in native 1080p vs upscaled because I'd think most wouldn't see the difference.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1091 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

He was already on Jimmy Fallon. They threw stars at ninjas using the tablet. It was awkward. I don't know about this go-around, but they only promoted the Wii once on Late Night IIRC.

Saw the original, and you are correct it was in fact awkward, but I expect he will be back now that Jimmy is a known game fan.

#1092 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Reggie will probably be on Good Morning America like he was with the Wii and 3DS.

While I haven't seen any TV commercials, I have seen in-store ad placements at Gamestop, Target and Wal-Mart, in addition to Wii U branded Remotes and Nunchucks, which are in smaller boxes to their original counterparts.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1093 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I hope Nintendo Land doesn't suck cause I need a game to play until my copies of NSMB Wii U and Batman Arkam City: Armored Edition arrive from Newegg.
Posted Image

#1094 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Seeing other online retailers cancel orders make me weary of my Gamestop.com Preorder. Hopefully it holds up, or Amazon.com gets them. One bad part about working is you can't line up 10AM at a gamestop to get a preorder unless it's a sat-sun :lol:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1095 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Seeing other online retailers cancel orders make me weary of my Gamestop.com Preorder. Hopefully it holds up, or Amazon.com gets them. One bad part about working is you can't line up 10AM at a gamestop to get a preorder unless it's a sat-sun :lol:.

Same here. My dad preordered really early online. I was in class and I kept checking and the moment I saw it on GS.com, I texted him. I think it was a little after 10AM that day. I've got my GS instore and my BB instore too that I'd rather get (and cancel the GS.com order), but I want to be in charge of that decision.

I've got Scribblenauts Unlimited ($43 at NewEgg), ZombiU ($54 at NewEgg) and NSMBWU preordered. Don't know if I should get a Pro Controller yet. I still need to go buy a Wii RemotePlus or a Wii Motion Plus adapter or two too. All this planning, it's like preparing for a damn kid!

#1096 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Same here. My dad preordered really early online. I was in class and I kept checking and the moment I saw it on GS.com, I texted him. I think it was a little after 10AM that day. I've got my GS instore and my BB instore too that I'd rather get (and cancel the GS.com order), but I want to be in charge of that decision.

I've got Scribblenauts Unlimited ($43 at NewEgg), ZombiU ($54 at NewEgg) and NSMBWU preordered. Don't know if I should get a Pro Controller yet. I still need to go buy a Wii RemotePlus or a Wii Motion Plus adapter or two too. All this planning, it's like preparing for a damn kid!

I preordered mine 9/14 off GS.com. I could not get to a GS or a BB on the preorder date (because of work) and well I don't trust Wal Mart enough to actually pull through on preorders. Hopefully they keep it, although mine was in pretty early so I shouldn't have a problem. My biggest worry besides the whole situation there is the mail. Hopefully they ship through UPS because USPS can't do mail right :lol:.
Posted Image

#1097 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Had 3 days to fiddle around with the Wii U at NYCC. Got to play Ninja Gaiden 3, Rayman Legends, Tank Tank Tank!, Zombie U, and the ghost game from Nintendo Land.

NG3 was more of the same while Rayman was pretty fun with the second player acting as a helper a la Super Mario Galaxy. Tank was pretty meh and so was Zombie U which bummed me out. I was really looking forward to the game but it played very similarly to Dead Island with muddier graphics and less control with melee attacks. Perhaps it was just the level I was playing but it just didn't have that certain something that separates it from other zombie themed games. The Luigi's mansion game was a blast to play but I can't see a group of 5 people playing it for hours on end.

Hardware wise the game pad and pro controller seemed solid although I would have preferred a matte finish rather than the glossy. Also, the game pad's screen looked sharp which was a pleasant surprise.

I was a bit unsure if I was going to keep my preorder but after today, I am going to pick up my deluxe bundle and cancel the Zombie U preorder.

#1098 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

Had 3 days to fiddle around with the Wii U at NYCC. Got to play Ninja Gaiden 3, Rayman Legends, Tank Tank Tank!, Zombie U, and the ghost game from Nintendo Land.

NG3 was more of the same while Rayman was pretty fun with the second player acting as a helper a la Super Mario Galaxy. Tank was pretty meh and so was Zombie U which bummed me out. I was really looking forward to the game but it played very similarly to Dead Island with muddier graphics and less control with melee attacks. Perhaps it was just the level I was playing but it just didn't have that certain something that separates it from other zombie themed games. The Luigi's mansion game was a blast to play but I can't see a group of 5 people playing it for hours on end.

Hardware wise the game pad and pro controller seemed solid although I would have preferred a matte finish rather than the glossy. Also, the game pad's screen looked sharp which was a pleasant surprise.

I was a bit unsure if I was going to keep my preorder but after today, I am going to pick up my deluxe bundle and cancel the Zombie U preorder.

That sucks you didn't enjoy ZombiU. I'm gonna wait until reviews come for ZombiU or give it a rent before buying it cause I am pretty interested in picking it up at launch.
Posted Image

#1099 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

http://au.linkedin.c...ater/36/138/41b

AAA Square Enix game is being ported to Wii U. Known Franchise. The game is scheduled to come out next year.

Probably Tomb Raider
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1100 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

That sucks you didn't enjoy ZombiU. I'm gonna wait until reviews come for ZombiU or give it a rent before buying it cause I am pretty interested in picking it up at launch.

I'm still hoping that the demo level I played was just a poor representation of the full game. The game had the longest lines for any Wii U game so the interest is there and I'm sure people will enjoy it regardless of poor reviews.

#1101 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

AAA Square Enix game is being ported to Wii U. Known Franchise. The game is scheduled to come out next year.

Probably Tomb Raider

Might be Hitman as well. I would bet Hitman just on the way he worded it since it's ported. Could be Tomb Raider.

I would laugh if it's FF XIII
Posted Image

#1102 Josh5890

Josh5890

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

Probably Tomb Raider

Maybe Dues Ex?

I need a new signature.

#1103 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Might be Hitman as well. I would bet Hitman just on the way he worded it since it's ported. Could be Tomb Raider.

Hell maybe it's the third game in the series-Lightning Returns.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1104 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm really hoping for the FFIII remake. I don't think it's been ported to enough systems yet.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#1105 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Could be Tomb Raider.

That would explain the bump to next year.

#1106 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

The Wii U Pro controller will last 80 hours on one charge. It won't be backwards compatible with Wii games.

http://www.nintendol...ards_compatible

#1107 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

The Wii U Pro controller will last 80 hours on one charge. It won't be backwards compatible with Wii games.

http://www.nintendol...ards_compatible

Interesting, meaning the controller will signal in a different manner than the Classic Controller did. Not surprising since the CC doesnt have clickable analog sticks, but disappointing nevertheless.

#1108 Josh5890

Josh5890

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Maybe I've missed it somewhere but has it been confirmed that all Wii-U games will be compatible with the pro controller? I would prefer to play most of my games with the pro controller whenever possible.

I need a new signature.

#1109 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Here's the skinny on this rumored game:

- Known to be releasing in 2013
- Well known Franchise
- Porting began in or around June '12 (per the job description)
- These guys are porting Mass Effect 3 to Wii U
- Published by Square Enix

The obvious candidates are Lightning Returns: FFXIII and Tomb Raider since they fit the first 2 descriptors. Keep in mind that Game Informer listed Tomb Raider for Wii U in their July issue, but later said it was a mistake. So my money is on Tomb Raider.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1110 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Maybe I've missed it somewhere but has it been confirmed that all Wii-U games will be compatible with the pro controller? I would prefer to play most of my games with the pro controller whenever possible.

I haven't seen anything that states as such, but it would make sense to make it a baseline requirement, and easy for devs to implement, given the similarities to the 360 & PS3 controllers.

I'm hoping that's the case, especially with an 80 hour battery(and the fact Wal-Mart forced it on me in a bundle). :hot: