Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6633 replies to this topic

#91 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

geez, I just don't know about that. Obviously there will bea bigadvancementamd they can still make money because of technological advancement. I guess what I mean by 3.5/2.5 is that they will be using current technology or maybe a little better than what PC's can do but they won't be pushing the envelope much. I would expect better graphics and all games to run at 60FPS in 1080P. That's it, I don't expect the graphics to completely blow me away when compared to what PC's can do right now. Better? Yes. Lots better? No.

We'll see. Huge mistake to launch before they can make a big improvement IMO. Games are still selling like hotcakes on the 360 and PS3, so it would be stupid of them to put out new hardware that they'll take a loss on if it doesn't really advance things.

They can just continue dragging out this generation now that they're making profits. Not like Nintendo is going to move the graphics envelop forward and put any pressure on them.

If they drag it out until 2013 or 2014 and still don't make a big step forward in graphics, then I may well just take a generation off from gaming if not quitting completely. I'm not going to drop $400 on a new console that's a marginal improvement over the 360 giving my current (and declining) interest in gaming in general.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#92 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

We'll see. Huge mistake to launch before they can make a big improvement IMO. Games are still selling like hotcakes on the 360 and PS3, so it would be stupid of them to put out new hardware that they'll take a loss on if it doesn't really advance things.

They can just continue dragging out this generation now that they're making profits. Not like Nintendo is going to move the graphics envelop forward and put any pressure on them.

If they drag it out until 2013 or 2014 and still don't make a big step forward in graphics, then I may well just take a generation off from gaming if not quitting completely. I'm not going to drop $400 on a new console that's a marginal improvement over the 360 giving my current (and declining) interest in gaming in general.

Both companies took major losses at the start of this generation so I believe they are doing a sort of chicken game right now. Trying to see how long they can go without launching another console but they also don't want to launch a year after the other console. Everyone now knows that's a huge mistake.

I'll be getting another gaming console the next generation despite my declining interest as well. The difference is that I'm only getting one the next generation. This generation I have all three. More than likely it will be the Xbox 3 because I feel like the Xbox has a better controller for my hands. I feel like the Playstation controllers are just too small. Another thing, I'll be waiting until the second hardware revision is released the next generation. There's plenty of stuff in my backlog right now and no doubt there will be in the future.

I have noticed that I'm much less likely to put up with a game that I don't completely enjoy. I had never played any Gears of War game or any Halo game. I got the Gears triple pack and played Gears of War 1 and 2. Those were fun/good games. Then I tried Halo 3 and it just didn't seem fun. Now I'm going to sell Halo 3 without finishing it. I have too many games to play that interest me to screw around with that game. Another thing is that my backlog is a bit too large so I'm going to have to do something about it. I have games in it like MySims Sky Heros because I got it really cheap but I really don't have any interest in playing. I've stopped buying games because they are $5 or less.

#93 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I'm not a fan of the Wiimote/nunchuck combo personally. Just doesn't work as well as standard controller IMO--especially for the genres I play like FPS (don't care for pointer aiming) and WRPGs. Just not enough buttons and really need two analog sticks or you end up having a crummy camera like in Skyward Sword since you don't have camera control.

See, coming from PC gaming, I hate playing FPS with a gamepad. For me, Wii remote - nunchuk comes closer to mouse - keyboard that I'm used to. I also like that it isn't as cramped as a gamepad.

I understand the occasional need for a 2nd analog stick and more buttons, but I often find the 2nd analog stick to be a pain when I need to use it and press buttons.
Posted Image

#94 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'll be getting another gaming console the next generation despite my declining interest as well. The difference is that I'm only getting one the next generation. This generation I have all three. More than likely it will be the Xbox 3 because I feel like the Xbox has a better controller for my hands. I feel like the Playstation controllers are just too small.

Yeah, I basically went one console this generation after having 3 last gen. Started with the Wii, didn't care for it much and ditched it after getting a 360 in fall 2007. Now I have 2 again as I rebought a Wii when my Xbox Live account got hacked in October (and is still locked while they're trying to restore it).

I'll almost definitely go with only 1 again next gen if I do buy one. Most likely Xbox as I like their first party games more than Sony's. Though I'm pretty grumpy with their slow response to my account hacking currently....

I'll only get a Wii U if they have a lot more games that appeal to me than the Wii has had, and even then I'd only buy it later in the generation after a few price drops.

See, coming from PC gaming, I hate playing FPS with a gamepad. For me, Wii remote - nunchuk comes closer to mouse - keyboard that I'm used to. I also like that it isn't as cramped as a gamepad.

I understand the occasional need for a 2nd analog stick and more buttons, but I often find the 2nd analog stick to be a pain when I need to use it and press buttons.

Yeah, that's the difference. I've always been a console gamer and fucking despised keyboard/mouse controls the few times I've tried to play PC games. I just hate doing anything at a PC at home after spending hours working on one every day, so I generally don't want my hands anywhere near a keyboard/mouse in my precious free time! :D

The 360 controller is the best I've every used. I love offset analog sticks and the controller just fits my hands perfectly. Only downside is the dpad sucks (though I hear the new one is better) but that's pretty much moot as I don't play any games that use it for anything more than changing weapons or calling in things (basically just as extra buttons rather than for movement).

Edited by dmaul1114, 29 December 2011 - 04:34 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#95 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Until I get to try one I dont know if it are easy to hold or not, The e3 reviewers indicated they were OK to hold, but as the old PA indicated, that is should not necessarily be assume to be a universal truth.

Perception carries a lot of weight though. The WiiU controller may be passable for comfort, but it certainly doesn't look that way.

In any case, taking a nice step forward in graphics will be key. Cutting edge graphics are huge in selling consoles to the core market. People are going to get whatever console Call of Duty, Madden etc. look the best on among the Nintendo, Sony and MS offering.

Not necessarily true. The Xbox was the most powerful console last gen and the PS3 is clearly more powerful than the 360 yet neither won over American gamers. The lesser powered PS2 and 360 trumped their more powerful competition. (and yes, the Wii trumped them all)

At this point I'm not so sure that we don't have hard and firm allegiances in place for all 3 companies. With online structures in place, friends and online purchases, who's to say people don't just stick with what they know next time out? It will take major bungling(think pre-PS3 launch or RROD) on all three companies parts to lose their existing base.

I am paid up for Live for 2-3 more years. I have a digital library of games and DLC tied to MS that I don't want to part with(assuming any of that content moves forward). As a consumer, I'm probably not going with the competition next time out simply because of that content. I'd venture there are a ton of people in the same boat for both 360 and PS3. Less so with Nintendo since they didn't offer much in the way of online stuff on the Wii.

Both companies took major losses at the start of this generation so I believe they are doing a sort of chicken game right now. Trying to see how long they can go without launching another console but they also don't want to launch a year after the other console. Everyone now knows that's a huge mistake.

Whenever they decide to launch, I think Microsoft will try and pull an Apple and announce at E3 and launch that fall, at least in America since this is their territory. Of course it would take some serious effort on their part to not have third parties leaking info to the press about games in the next-gen pipeline. This way Sony gets caught with their pants down and MS beats them by a year again, unless they have something waiting in the wings as well. With the hit they took on the PS3, I see them being very reactionary this time out.

I'll almost definitely go with only 1 again next gen if I do buy one. Most likely Xbox as I like their first party games more than Sony's. Though I'm pretty grumpy with their slow response to my account hacking currently....

I'll only get a Wii U if they have a lot more games that appeal to me than the Wii has had, and even then I'd only buy it later in the generation after a few price drops.

Same here. I own all three and next time out, one will probably suffice, and as I said above even not knowing anything about the next consoles, MS is likely to get my money.

I will concede that owning a Wii was nice for when the 360 was out for month long at a time repairs. :)

I can't rule out the WiiU though since Nintendo has so many killer franchises. It might be my first price drop Nintendo purchase.

I just hate doing anything at a PC at home after spending hours working on one every day, so I generally don't want my hands anywhere near a keyboard/mouse in my precious free time! :D

:lol: Amen to that. I like the Wii/Nunchuck combo (minus motion and pointing controls) strictly on the split controller aspect, but the Wiimote 2.0 really needs the four traditional buttons (A,B,X,Y). However, the lack of a second analog still presents a problem without resorting to pointing.

The 360 controller is the best I've every used. I love offset analog sticks and the controller just fits my hands perfectly.

I am a stickler for ergonomic controllers and the 360 can't be beat. The DualShock just can't touch the offset analog sticks and their trigger and bumper buttons are pitiful. The controller on the whole is just not ergonomically comfy either. It was great in 1997 but it's time for Sony to move on. We aren't still using N64 controllers, why should we still be using PS1 controllers?

The D-pad argument seems moot at this point. It all comes down to fighters and it just doesn't seem like a thriving genre anymore. I'll qualify this with "I'm not up on that genre anymore" but look at Street Fighter IV sales. Looks like it sold roughly 2 million combined on 360 and PS3. That's 2 million people out of a pool of about 120 million. What's that, less than 2% of the user base? I can see why they leave it to third parties to provide special controllers.

#96 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Perception carries a lot of weight though. The WiiU controller may be passable for comfort, but it certainly doesn't look that way.

Indeed. Perception is really key to sales. And Nintendo would have to make dramatic changes to improve their perception among core gamers.

Launching with an unwieldy looking tablet controller isn't a good start on that front....

Not necessarily true. The Xbox was the most powerful console last gen and the PS3 is clearly more powerful than the 360 yet neither won over American gamers. The lesser powered PS2 and 360 trumped their more powerful competition. (and yes, the Wii trumped them all)

I wasn't necessarily saying that the most powerful console wins each generation.

Just that core gamers expect a new console to offer a jump forward in graphics. The Wii won from getting non-gamers to buy in big numbers.

Right from day 1 there was a lot of bitching from core gamers about how the graphics weren't much better than the Gamecube. If a core gamer is going to shell out for a new console, they expect it to take some steps forward from that company's current console to be worth their while.

At this point I'm not so sure that we don't have hard and firm allegiances in place for all 3 companies. With online structures in place, friends and online purchases, who's to say people don't just stick with what they know next time out? It will take major bungling(think pre-PS3 launch or RROD) on all three companies parts to lose their existing base.

Agreed, and very good point about people being tied into downloaded games, friends lists etc.

Honestly, Nintendo's best bet would probably be to just focus on handhelds as far as hardware goes and go third party in the console arena and just make millions selling their killer franchises on consoles that other companies are taking losses on. Or maybe go second party and partner with Sony and get some say in controller design etc.

I can't rule out the WiiU though since Nintendo has so many killer franchises. It might be my first price drop Nintendo purchase.

I'm kind of in the same boat, and will probably pick one up after a price drop or two for Mario, Metroid and Zelda. But I am a tad tired of those franchises so they'll have to make some strides forward in those games. I'm not sure I'll buy if it's just the same ole, same ole with an new coat of HD paint.

I am a stickler for ergonomic controllers and the 360 can't be beat. The DualShock just can't touch the offset analog sticks and their trigger and bumper buttons are pitiful. The controller on the whole is just not ergonomically comfy either. It was great in 1997 but it's time for Sony to move on. We aren't still using N64 controllers, why should we still be using PS1 controllers?

Agreed. I never cared much for the Dual Shocks. Just too small, and I hate the side by side analog sticks for dual analog games as well. And agree that the triggers are terrible for shooters.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#97 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

I think a thing to remember is that the PS2 continued to have a long life even after the PS3 came out. Any new console from Sony or Microsoft is going to have to contend with that, particularly if they don't go with backwards compatiblity, which both companies fell down on in this generation.

It sort of happened with the last generation as well, tho the online thing isn't a big deal for me. As usual, content is going to be king and the main driver is going to be who has the exclusive titles that you want to play.

Same here. I own all three and next time out, one will probably suffice, and as I said above even not knowing anything about the next consoles, MS is likely to get my money.

I will concede that owning a Wii was nice for when the 360 was out for month long at a time repairs. :)

With the Wii being the odd duck, I think we had more multiple console households than we had previously. Unless you were just a casual gamer, it was hard to just have the Wii in your house. Personally, I went with Wii and PS3, the latter because it is my main media device in my living room with Blu-ray, streaming music from my server and HD Netflix. I never saw the point in owning an Xbox. I had no interest in the exclusives, and a lot of games would come out for PC as well.

That being said, I think any new console will be a hard sell for me, particularly since I have a huge backlog on all three of my consoles that will keep me busy for a long time. (I also have a PS2)

:lol: Amen to that. I like the Wii/Nunchuck combo (minus motion and pointing controls) strictly on the split controller aspect, but the Wiimote 2.0 really needs the four traditional buttons (A,B,X,Y). However, the lack of a second analog still presents a problem without resorting to pointing.

I tend to agree that having more buttons would be better, but again I'm used to a mouse, which does have two butons. I don't mind the pointing if they work on making it less flaky. As I said, I like using my right hand as a mouse and my left as the keyboard. The problem I always have with analog sticks with camera movement is that they autocenter. I like the freedom a mouse gives you with looking around without something pressuring you to go back to center.
Posted Image

#98 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

I think a thing to remember is that the PS2 continued to have a long life even after the PS3 came out. Any new console from Sony or Microsoft is going to have to contend with that, particularly if they don't go with backwards compatiblity, which both companies fell down on in this generation.

And that's a big part of why I think they won't launch until they can put out consoles that make enough of a step forward that people want to buy them and play the awesome looking new games rather than keep playing 360/PS3 games. People aren't going to shell out $400+ for a new console if the games aren't noticeably better looking than current gen games.

As usual, content is going to be king and the main driver is going to be who has the exclusive titles that you want to play.

I don't think that will get many to change loyalties. With third party exclusives mostly being a thing of the past it just comes down to first party exclusives which probably won't change much.

People who love Mario, Metroid and Zelda will want a Wii U, people who love Halo and Gears of War will want a 720 and people who love Uncharted, Gran Turismo etc. will want a PS4.

So Corvin is likely right that most people will just buy the successor to whatever console they liked most this generation as their main console the next go around when you factor that in, along with friends lists, content tied to a console's account etc.

I never saw the point in owning an Xbox. I had no interest in the exclusives, and a lot of games would come out for PC as well.

I was the same way with the PS3 (minus the PC part). The big launch price turned me off, especially since I didn't have an HDTV at the time and thus no interest in Blu Ray. I don't really dig Sony's exclusives--the Uncharted games are the only ones I've really wished I could play. And even once I got an HDTV, I prefer to have a standalone Blu-ray player rather than use a game console and put extra wear and tear on it.

That being said, I think any new console will be a hard sell for me, particularly since I have a huge backlog on all three of my consoles that will keep me busy for a long time. (I also have a PS2)

I'm also in no rush. I don't have a gigantic backlog as I'm really only interested in AAA type games, but i have enough to keep me busy for a while. Mainly I just have no interest in shelling out money for a console unless they can make a pretty big step forward with the graphics. Until then I'm happy just playing sequels and new games on the 360, so I hope they drag out this console cycle a few more years.

I don't mind the pointing if they work on making it less flaky.

For me the pointing will just never be precise enough for me to use it for aiming in a fast paced FPS game. I just don't have very steady hands.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#99 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

A new console is a very hard sell for me, launch titles always drop in price, and better versions and limited edition consoles always come out eventually. There is simply no need for me to have it first because its just too costly. I just bought the XBox 360 a couple months ago so I have a whole generation of games to catch up on before I even think about the new consoles.

I have to wonder how many people are in the same boat, especially with the economy the way it is, there are always hardcore gamers and rich people who have to have it first but how many will actually spend the money to get the console day 1 this time around?

It costs an awful lot of money to get set up with a new console day 1, console is full price and games are full price too, same with accessories,and we all know they will definitely drop in price. The only way I can see it working is if the consoles were launched in October or November to capitalize on holiday sales, they really shouldn't be launching during any other time period or else we will all have to listen to the companies whining about low sales. Nintendo released the 3DS in March and we all know how that turned out.

#100 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

I have to wonder how many people are in the same boat, especially with the economy the way it is, there are always hardcore gamers and rich people who have to have it first but how many will actually spend the money to get the console day 1 this time around?

Plenty. All it takes is a good buzz reel of Halo & Call of Duty footage to get people excited. FPS players have to have the latest and greatest (hence the yearly CoD releases) and jumping to a new console will be no different.

You forget, new consoles always come at Christmas. They make great, albeit expensive, gifts.

#101 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

Here's a question though: Will Wii U launch just before or just after the next COD/AC games? If Wii U launches after, that's not a good thing since gamers are usually inherently impatient pricks about that stuff. 2-3 days/weeks after those games launch is basically 2-3 months in gamer time.

I know the online stuff is still in flux until February or so, but after that is when we should start hearing things from developers who leak things (i.e. Ubisoft).

As for Nintendo franchises on Wii U, I've heard one major one isn't going to make it, but it's not the obvious answer. So that probably means no Pokemon Stadium HD.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#102 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

No one is going to by a Wii U for COD anyway. They'll buy it on whatever platform they play it on now as that's where all their friends they play the game online with will be playing it.

I think Corvin was right and most core gamers console allegiance are pretty well set due to the focus on playing online with friends, having games and DLC tied to console accounts etc.

The Wii U's key with core gamers is whether it can do enough to get them to buy it as a second console as they're unlikely to switch from MS/Sony as their main console--at least initially.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#103 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

I don't think that will get many to change loyalties. With third party exclusives mostly being a thing of the past it just comes down to first party exclusives which probably won't change much.

People who love Mario, Metroid and Zelda will want a Wii U, people who love Halo and Gears of War will want a 720 and people who love Uncharted, Gran Turismo etc. will want a PS4.

So Corvin is likely right that most people will just buy the successor to whatever console they liked most this generation as their main console the next go around when you factor that in, along with friends lists, content tied to a console's account etc.

Thing is, you kinda point out above that franchises haven't stayed static from one generation to another. Gears Of War and Uncharted are new franchises this generation. Then you look at some of the franchises that have gone by the wayside for Sony: Crash Bandicoot, Jax and Daxter, Gex, Parappa the Rapper, and probably more. As much as people like to compare other consoles to Nintendo, none of them rival Nintendo for long-running franchises. Some carry over to the next generation, but more often than not they don't, and there is always new IP to replace them.

Being tied to online content may be a more valid argument for sticking with a brand, but there is no guarantee that it will fully do that. That is one of the unknows going into the second generation of true online gaming networks on consoles.
Posted Image

#104 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

Franchises change, but types of franchises that are dominant on a platform don't really don't much from generation to generation.

Nintendo isn't going to all of sudden start making FPS games and WRPG games for instance. MS will probably keep focusing on shooters and so on.

So I can be more broad in my statement and not mention specific franchises, but rather focus on genres. If people want to play platformers and family friendly games, they're going to stick with Nintendo. If they want to play shooters, fighters, sports games, racing games etc. then it will be MS or Sony depending on which series they like more, where their friends play online etc.

Nintendo's biggest problem is lack of new IPs. They've been far too content to just keep shitting out Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby etc. The only semi-major new IP they've put out the past two generations is Pikmin, and that was a niche genre game. Not counting the casual game IPs like Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit etc. that core gamers don't give a shit about.

Without new IPs, they can't attract new gamers who aren't interested in their traditional franchises anymore. Time will tell if that changes with the Wii U. But I'm not holding my breath. They seem content to just focus on families and kids primarily, and they're franchises are a great platform for succeeding in that market.

But that's not going to give them any more success among core gamers. Core gamers are focused on FPS, WRPG, sports and racing games primarily. If Nintendo wants to get back into that market, they need exclusives in those genres. If they don't, then they should stop talking about getting back to core gamers and talk about focusing more on longtime Nintendo gamers who still love their franchises and less on soccer moms with crap like with Wii Fit.

And honestly, Nintendo is best off focusing on families and kids as there's very little chance of them succeeding with the fps/wrpg/sports/racing game playing core gamer set anyway. There's already two consoles that have that market cornered. Nintendo just needs to find a way to sell more games to the kids, families, Nintendo fanboys etc. to get their software attach rate up.

Edited by dmaul1114, 31 December 2011 - 06:32 AM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#105 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

Some carry over to the next generation, but more often than not they don't, and there is always new IP to replace them.

That's why I say bring on next-gen. New IPs are always ushered in with new consoles. With a small launch user base companies have more room to gamble on new games than relying on the tried and true.

#106 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

Nintendo at Wii's launch had the following (excluding Zelda):
- Wii Sports (casual, tech demo which somehow became the Game that changed the Generation)
- Excite Truck (pseudo spin-off/successor to Excitebike)

Not exactly new IP's, but Nintendo does have quite a few "dormant" franchises that you could really sell off as new IP's because they haven't had a new entry in 15+ years.

If they wanted a new IP, it'd be smart of them to let Retro do a new IP with them overseeing development since the American Press goes head over heels for a Retro Studios game. That'd probably attract a more hardcore audience.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#107 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

Yeah, I'd love to see what Retro could do with creating their own FPS game.

The Metroid Prime games were great, but where more adventure games than shooters with the focus on exploration and the lock on shooting etc.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#108 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

are they gonna kill off the motion plus, i think they made a huge break through with that once Skyward Sword was released but now with this new controller seems like they are just throwing it in the bag and soon may just fade it off and focus on this dumb controller
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony
NHL 12
TLOZ: Skyward Sword

#109 omster

omster

I used to be cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:54 AM

So the rumors are Nintendo is trying to build an "ecosystem" similar to what Android and iOS has done. If true, the controller is really becoming a sort of tablet. It's an interesting direction with a lot of possibilities. I think what would annoy me most would be the resistive touch screen. Though it works out better only in terms of the stylus, it just isn't near as responsive as its capacitive counterpart.

http://www.nintendow...com/rumor/28847

are they gonna kill off the motion plus, i think they made a huge break through with that once Skyward Sword was released but now with this new controller seems like they are just throwing it in the bag and soon may just fade it off and focus on this dumb controller

The Wii U is compatable with the Wii remotes. Also: http://www.1up.com/n...motion-controls

#110 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

So the rumors are Nintendo is trying to build an "ecosystem" similar to what Android and iOS has done. If true, the controller is really becoming a sort of tablet. It's an interesting direction with a lot of possibilities. I think what would annoy me most would be the resistive touch screen. Though it works out better only in terms of the stylus, it just isn't near as responsive as its capacitive counterpart.

Resistive screens can be quite responsive. My Nokia N900 has a resistive screen, and I think it is quite responsive. Plus, I can use a stylus with it, which is good because I have fat fingers.
Posted Image

#111 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

The more that comes about about Wii U, the further my interest in it declines.....

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#112 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

So the rumors are Nintendo is trying to build an "ecosystem" similar to what Android and iOS has done. If true, the controller is really becoming a sort of tablet. It's an interesting direction with a lot of possibilities.

Wow - what a colossal mistake this would be. Am I supposed to carry the tablet around with me or something? LOL. Sorry, but no one plays shitty $1 apps on my couch.

The more that comes about about Wii U, the further my interest in it declines.....

Same here. So depressing since I've been a Nintendo fan for 25+ years. I will not make the same mistake I did with the Wii and buy it just because it is Nintendo's new console. They are going to have to earn it this time... and the prospect doesn't look good other than maybe buying it after a massive price drop 4-5 years down the line just so I can keep up with Mario/Zelda/Metroid, etc. And even that seems like a stretch.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#113 Toulouse

Toulouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

I will not make the same mistake I did with the Wii and buy it just because it is Nintendo's new console.

You're probably echoing the sentiments of other Wii and 3DS early adopters.

I don't believe this latest rumor, though. They can't even put a decent online infrastructure together for multiplayer gaming. Take care of that first, then try your hand at duplicating Apple's iOS environment.

#114 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

They are going to have to earn it this time... and the prospect doesn't look good other than maybe buying it after a massive price drop 4-5 years down the line just so I can keep up with Mario/Zelda/Metroid, etc. And even that seems like a stretch.

Yep. I'm of the exact same mindset.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#115 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

You're probably echoing the sentiments of other Wii and 3DS early adopters.

I don't believe this latest rumor, though. They can't even put a decent online infrastructure together for multiplayer gaming. Take care of that first, then try your hand at duplicating Apple's iOS environment.

Then people here would just yawn and say that Nintendo is just trying to play catchup.

One thing you have to remember about all of this: the casual and family market is the focus of Nintendo right now, because that's the market that cares the most about what Nintendo did with the Wii. The hard-core gaming crowd didn't care about the Wii and there is probably little Nintendo can do to win over that crowd, who mostly has found homes with Sony and Microsoft.

The best we can hope for is a more friendly experience for the hard-core gamer: HD graphics, a more rich online experience, and more cross-platform titles. But, hard-core gamers will never be the focus of Nintendo. They can't win on that playing field and they know it.
Posted Image

#116 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Absolutely right. And as I said before, they're smart to focus on that market.

Us more hardcore gamers who grew up on Nintendo just have to accept that MS and Sony fit our interests better now, and that Nintendo's consoles will probably never offer much for us beyond updates to their franchises and maybe the occasional new IP like Pikmin etc. A Nintendo console will never again be the main console for us. At best it's a 2nd or 3rd console bought to keep up with Mario, Metroid and Zelda.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#117 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I personally think Nintendo needs to cater to even a younger audience, there are tons of 3-7 year olds out there who love Nintendo but the games are just too difficult for them. Lets face it Mario is now a property in the US that is most popular with 3-7 year olds, look at the merchandise and clothing out there, its all geared for them. However most of Nintendo's games are geared for the over 10 crowd due to the difficulty however once you get to age 10-11 its already uncool to play Nintendo and you better be playing Xbox or PS3 or you will get literately eaten alive in middle school and high school. I have not met a 3-6 year old who can handle playing a Nintendo game due to the difficulty. So here we have a paradox, the games are catching on with younger and younger kids, but the games are too difficult for them.

iOS and leapster right now are killing the market for the youngsters since parents will hand their iPhone to their 2 year old and it has apps that are geared for that age range while Nintendo has nothing for the lucrative 2-7 year old market. Its time for Nintendo to get their hat in the ring and release some preschool friendly games. I have no doubt these games would be extremely popular and sell like crazy.

In order for there to be an incentive to purchase the console right away the games must have online multiplayer, the multiplayer must be free of charge and be active and remain active for at least a few months after the game launches. Otherwise there is no incentive to purchase the console now because the games will be the same games 5 years from now and they will be cheaper then.

I don't think Nintendo should go the app store route, the reason being is right now there are too many app stores, the market is saturated and people are already grandfathered into iOS or Android because they were there first. If everyone goes the App store route then eventually the app stores will start to crash and burn, and become not profitable. It may be profitable now but 5 years from now when everything is an app it will not be so profitable. Also if Nintendo is doing an app store they need to learn how to have sales and a central account and make it so you can get your data back if something happens and get a large amount of prepaid cards to market in the same stores that are filled with iTunes and Microsoft point cards. No one can compete with the sales and free apps of the iOS and Android app stores right now. If Nintendo screws this up they will crash and burn so bad.

#118 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

I personally think Nintendo needs to cater to even a younger audience, there are tons of 3-7 year olds out there who love Nintendo but the games are just too difficult for them. Lets face it Mario is now a property in the US that is most popular with 3-7 year olds, look at the merchandise and clothing out there, its all geared for them. However most of Nintendo's games are geared for the over 10 crowd due to the difficulty however once you get to age 10-11 its already uncool to play Nintendo and you better be playing Xbox or PS3 or you will get literately eaten alive in middle school and high school. I have not met a 3-6 year old who can handle playing a Nintendo game due to the difficulty. So here we have a paradox, the games are catching on with younger and younger kids, but the games are too difficult for them.

Depends on what you mean by "Nintendo game". There are certainly some that my 5 year old can handle just fine. Last year, the big thing for us (when he was 4) was Kirby Epic Yarn, which was challenging enough without getting too frustrating. Mario Kart is also very much in his range. (I don't have Mario Kart, but my son got lots of mileage from the very similar Sega All Stars Racing.) Also, my son can hold his own in Super Smash Bros.

I don't know what he plays at other people's houses, but he spends hours playing with his friends on Wii and doesn't seem to tire of it, so I don't think it is as much of a problem as you think. Yeah, some games he struggles with (SMG2 is frustrating for him), but for the most part there is plenty of enjoyment he gets out of games.

What I don't want to see is things getting too dumbed down that it stops being interesting. For example, he had Dora and Diego games for the PS2 which he played for a time, but after he beat them, he had no reason to play them any more. Those games were painfully easy.
Posted Image

#119 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Kirby's Epic Yarn is a perfect game for my 4 year old - same with all of the Lego games. YOU CAN'T DIE! It's that simple. If they made SMB or whatever the same way (as an option to be turned on) my kid would be able to play through that as well. Batman: Brave and the Bold is another game like that. It would be nice if most games implemented some type of "no fail" mode.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#120 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Depends on what you mean by "Nintendo game". There are certainly some that my 5 year old can handle just fine. Last year, the big thing for us (when he was 4) was Kirby Epic Yarn, which was challenging enough without getting too frustrating. Mario Kart is also very much in his range. (I don't have Mario Kart, but my son got lots of mileage from the very similar Sega All Stars Racing.) Also, my son can hold his own in Super Smash Bros.

I don't know what he plays at other people's houses, but he spends hours playing with his friends on Wii and doesn't seem to tire of it, so I don't think it is as much of a problem as you think. Yeah, some games he struggles with (SMG2 is frustrating for him), but for the most part there is plenty of enjoyment he gets out of games.

What I don't want to see is things getting too dumbed down that it stops being interesting. For example, he had Dora and Diego games for the PS2 which he played for a time, but after he beat them, he had no reason to play them any more. Those games were painfully easy.

I think a lot of it is parents would rather their young children be playing educational games on leapster or their ipad/iphone than those kind of Nintendo games. Nintendo could maybe make some more money in the toddle crowd by having some Mario Edutainment type games.

And gaming skill varies by kids. I have a nephew thats 4 and a half or so, and he can't handle NSMB, Mario Kart, Mario, Lego Batman and Sonic Olympic games etc. that i tried to play with him over the hollidays, but other kids can for sure. I think he's just too hyper and doesn't have the patience/attention span to learn the controls etc.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection