Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6693 replies to this topic

#1381 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

There's an InterWorks Pro Controller that is compatible with Wii and Wii U. Maybe that would bridge the gap for you.

#1382 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

Anybody else preorder games from NewEgg? Just looking to see if anybody who has could post when they get a shipping email. Just excited is all.

5 days. Excited. :D

#1383 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

Anybody else preorder games from NewEgg? Just looking to see if anybody who has could post when they get a shipping email. Just excited is all.

5 days. Excited. :D

I chatted with a cs rep last week and he told me my games wouldn't ship until Monday:cry:

I need a new signature.

#1384 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

I chatted with a cs rep last week and he told me my games wouldn't ship until Monday:cry:

Thanks. :D

And bummer. :(

I'm in Cali, so hopefully I can get them Wednesday. And I'm guess I'm glad I cancelled ZombiU. It'll give me something to buy in person and play.

#1385 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Brawl is especially infuriating, since I won't be able to use a Gamecube controller any more if I decided to move data over. And since the stupid Wii isn't being software emulated, you can't use the Wii U Pro controller either. Microsoft lets me use the 360 controller with Xbox games (that's how I played Psychonauts), so there's no excuse for the Wii U not being able to do that as well.

Can't you still copy your Wii save game data (I assume its this data you are talking about) to an SD card? I believe most games allow you to backup save data. In which case, copy all that you can to an SD card before you do the data transfer, that way if you decide you do want to fire up the old Wii, you just copy it from that backup.

I haven't tried it with Brawl's data, so maybe you can't, but I know most games allowed you to do this.
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1386 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

According to this Nintendo Life article, you should be able to transfer your Wii Shop points over to the Wii U, no need to spend them now if you don't want to.

That's great news. I almost blew my points just to get rid of them, but now I'll hold onto them for awesome stuff for the Wii U.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1387 io

io

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

That's great news. I almost blew my points just to get rid of them, but now I'll hold onto them for awesome stuff for the Wii U.

How is that going to work though? I assumed the Wii U shop would be like the 3DS one and use real money. Are they going to convert Wii Points to cash values on the Wii U shop? I have 4 or 5 Wii Points cards sitting around that I got a long, long time ago. I was eventually going to sell them. But now it seems like I should dump them on the Wii before I do the transfer. I assume I can't apply those directly to the Wii U, right?

#1388 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

wu1kGo5j7NU

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1389 io

io

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Interesting. At the end there it looked like he put the regular TV on (soccer game) with a single press on the Wii U pad. I'm still not sure how that would work with cable going into your HDTV and the Wii U just being another device connected via HDMI.

#1390 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

And suddenly, Nintendo Direct:

http://www.youtube.c...intendodirectch
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1391 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Wii U Virtual Console games on the gamepad! You figured it was coming, but it's nice to have confirmation that it's in the works, even though it's not day one.
\\:D/

#1392 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Just a reminder, IGN's reviews of NSMBU & Nintendoland should be up tomorrow.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

#1393 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

And suddenly, Nintendo Direct:

http://www.youtube.c...intendodirectch

Highlights:

A big thanks to cvxfreak!

Originally Posted by cvxfreak: Posted Image
Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.
- Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings
- Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.
- Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.
- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
- One USB drive at a time only.
- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
- You can use general drives.
- In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.
- Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.
- No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)
- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives
- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
- You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
- At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.
- SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode
- Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."
- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only
- Point service
- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service
- After logging in, you can see the points you have earned
- Buy with download card or download number
- Earn 10% back on purchases
- Earn back purchase points in ¥500 increments
- Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop

#1394 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm assuming that playing WiiWare/VC console games on the tablet is very possible, they just aren't doing it for some reason. Third party licensing or something equally draconian?

#1395 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hopefully Nintendo is smart and sells some compilation discs of older NES titles which will work on the screen and have online leader boards, etc.

#1396 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

You can't put games onto a USB flash drive nor onto SD cards? Well that's pretty annoying.

Crunchewy.png

#1397 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

The SD card can't be used for Wii U save data? Well, that port just became worthless.

#1398 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Interesting. At the end there it looked like he put the regular TV on (soccer game) with a single press on the Wii U pad. I'm still not sure how that would work with cable going into your HDTV and the Wii U just being another device connected via HDMI.

Most TVs nowadays have HDMI control. It's the same reason I can hook up a DVD recorder to my TV and use the DVD remote to control the volume on my TV, or make my TV automatically turn on when I hit the power button on my DVD recorder. Not saying there wasn't some gimmicky behind-the-scenes thing going on in the video (I didn't watch it), but I could see it maybe being possible.

#1399 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

With the Wii U a scant 4 days off, it's time to start making shopping plans. Those of you who pre-ordered one already know where you will pick yours up. But pre-orders ran out quickly for this item. The rest of us need to figure out which store to line up at to most likely get a Wii U at launch.

Walmart is the obvious choice, as Super Walmarts are always open at midnight. (guaranteed midnight launch) However, they are also an obvious target and might get hit by some of the longer lines.

#1400 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have one pre-ordered but the last go-round I did the Wii at Target. 13 hours in 30 degree weather. Not fun. I did the 360 at Sam's. Also cold, but I got there around 5am (open at 7 for business members) and there were only a dozen or so people in line. Pre-ordered the PS3 at GS.

Meijer might be a good choice for some if you have one near by. Open 24 hours and probably not the likeliest choice for most people so your odds of a small line might be better.

#1401 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

With the Wii U a scant 4 days off, it's time to start making shopping plans. Those of you who pre-ordered one already know where you will pick yours up. But pre-orders ran out quickly for this item. The rest of us need to figure out which store to line up at to most likely get a Wii U at launch.

Walmart is the obvious choice, as Super Walmarts are always open at midnight. (guaranteed midnight launch) However, they are also an obvious target and might get hit by some of the longer lines.

Have you checked out Fry's Electronics? They have typically been open on Midnight in the past for some key launches, though I don't know if they are doing that promotion for the Wii U. Worth a phone call though.

#1402 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Have you checked out Fry's Electronics? They have typically been open on Midnight in the past for some key launches, though I don't know if they are doing that promotion for the Wii U. Worth a phone call though.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. The closest Fry's to me is a bit of a drive, but not unreasonable. Also, there is a Best Buy near that Fry's, just in case. Might be a good starting option.

I've heard that Sam's Club and Costco are also really good options, as they are more restrained in the number of potential customers. (have to have a card to get in) So if you know someone who is okay with you borrowing their card now and then, that might be the more secure place to shop.

#1403 io

io

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Most TVs nowadays have HDMI control. It's the same reason I can hook up a DVD recorder to my TV and use the DVD remote to control the volume on my TV, or make my TV automatically turn on when I hit the power button on my DVD recorder. Not saying there wasn't some gimmicky behind-the-scenes thing going on in the video (I didn't watch it), but I could see it maybe being possible.

Well, that's all news to me. I figured people did that sort of thing via Universal remotes. For me, personally, I have a relatively new Vizio in the living room but it came with a crap remote (Blouetooth and pull-out keyboard - nice features but fragile as hell apparently) that broke twice after just a month or two of use each time. The first time they fixed it via warranty though it was a huge hassle. The second time we didn't even bother. So I have a generic universal remote for volume/channels but it won't even change the input source for me (and can't use any of the built-in Internet apps either). We have to get up and change input manually on the side of the TV. So, yeah, that's the kind of tech I'm used to ;). I just don't see the Nintendo Tvii thing working at all for me.

#1404 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Stopped by my local K-Mart today just to see what their situation was with the consoles. They have taken no pre-orders and have no clue how many they'll be getting in. That said, my town is ridiculously small, so I'd be willing to put money on someone being able to walk in Sunday morning and walk out with a console.

On a side-note, the woman there was 100% positive that you needed an original Wii in order to play the Wii-U. She said she found that out today. I tried telling her otherwise but she was having none of it. So yeah, I had a good chuckle.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#1405 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

I came upon this from an Ars Technia article and it includes some vital information about Wii U storage.

http://www.nintendo....usb_storage.jsp

SD Cards cannot be used to store games. "For Wii U, SD Cards can be used for saving a picture of your Mii and QR Code patterns for your Mii but not as an external storage device for Wii U software. SD Cards can, however, be used in Wii mode to save data for Wii games. This data is managed through the Data Management feature in Wii mode. SD cards are also used to transfer data from Wii to Wii U."

Also, an external hard drive used with the Wii U has to be used exclusively for Wii U stuff and there's a 2TB maximum at this time.
Posted Image

#1406 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

The more I go through this thread the more the system appeals to me I am 100% sold on SMB game specifically for the SMB World feel.

Kamagii.png

#1407 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

with Nintendo's announcement that there will be more Wii U systems available throughout launch than Wii, I hope it means that people won't have to go crazy for the system like at the Wii launch. So if you don't get one at midnight launch, there should be plenty more coming shortly after. Hopefully.
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1408 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Someone told me what the issue with the SFX chip, specifically for Yoshi's Island. And that was that the Fuzzy Effect didn't work properly on Wii.

I find it funny that the Wii can't render a SNES game.

I know it's all technical, but it's still funny thinking a 2005 system can't render something from 1992.

#1409 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Just an FYI for those that care, I stopped by my local Fry's in Tempe AZ, and they already have the following Wii U Games for sale:

Just Dance 4
Batman Arkham City
Assassin's Creed III
Rabbids Land

Unfortunately no NSMB Wii U, but I thought I would point that out for anyone who likes to get the software first before the console (though software is usually easy enough to find).

Also, no midnight opening for Fry's, though they will have Wii U console stock on hand for sale.

Edited by Billytwoshoes, 15 November 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#1410 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I find it funny that the Wii can't render a SNES game.

I know it's all technical, but it's still funny thinking a 2005 system can't render something from 1992.

Technical indeed: http://arstechnica.c...-snes-emulator/

I have a feeling Nintendo is very much a stickler about things working with zero issues.