Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6696 replies to this topic

#1411 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Good news, stuff should just work, bad news, nothing special gets added.

That is a bit of bad news. I would have really liked some up-scaling on my Wii titles, especially since they are going to be fed through the Wii U's HDMI output. While it will still be a touch more convenient (I currently have to feed my Wii directly into my TV, instead of through my surround sound), 480p is so last year.

I imagine that part of Nintendo's reluctance to properly upgrade their backwards compatibility lies in an experience they've already had with the Wii. Such effort would kneecap their ability to re-package previous generation titles for their new system. They did this already with several of the more popular titles on the GameCube. I imagine they will do the same for some of their better selling Wii titles.

#1412 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

OK I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but since the Wii U does use the controllers from the Wii as well as the tablet controller, has anyone read anything that states which games coming out so far (if any) actually require the remotes and the sensor bar to play?

Love Nintendo games but damn I hate those. If I could use the system with just the Main Controller or the New Controller Pro I would be extremely happy.

I wound up ordering one from Kmart today anyway despite my questions.

The Rayman demo was enough to sway me even though it doesnt come out until next year.
Posted Image

#1413 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Rayman/Pikmin/NSMBU are my top reasons if they get 1 good RPG like Xenoblade I think I will have to start selling crap to buy one. I played the crap out of NSMB and the new one seeming to be a new version of the SNES version makes me beyond excited for it.

Kamagii.png

#1414 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Layawayers, you might want to try picking up your console tomorrow. Check out the Wii U preorder thread to see what I mean.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#1415 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Somewhat right. Somewhat wrong. The reason why there's a modified Wii OS is blatantly obvious that has nothing to do with Virtual Console emulators.

If Nintendo were to allow Wii VC games to use the Pro Controller, they'd have to update every one of those emulators, or, a much simpler task, update the Pro Controller to act like a Classic Controller in Wii Mode. But that's just what I think is possible.

The Sensor Bar isn't required for Wii U setup, but I think it'll be required for some games. It's also still going to be required for some Wii games as well, but that's normal.

Sensor bars are packed in the Wii U. If they were not needed they would left them out like they did the wii remotes.

#1416 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

Reviews slowly coming out, hailing NSMBU as awesome, NintendoLand as what you'd expect, and Sing Party as crap.

Kinda what I was expecting. Now I know, at least, that i'll be picking up NSMBU. Now where are those ZombiU reviews...
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1417 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Sensor bars are packed in the Wii U. If they were not needed they would left them out like they did the wii remotes.

Well, they did in Japan, but your point is noted.

Wiimotes still need a sensor bar to do that sensing thing they do.

#1418 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Reviews slowly coming out, hailing NSMBU as awesome, NintendoLand as what you'd expect, and Sing Party as crap.

Kinda what I was expecting. Now I know, at least, that i'll be picking up NSMBU. Now where are those ZombiU reviews...

Far as I know nearly all other reviews won't pop up til Sunday.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1419 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

What do you guys think are the chances of walking into Wal Mart on Sunday and finding NSMB U? I have my preorder from GS.com coming but since I canceled my Epic Mickey preorder, I decided to go the NSMB U route instead.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1420 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Somewhat right. Somewhat wrong. The reason why there's a modified Wii OS is blatantly obvious that has nothing to do with Virtual Console emulators.

What are you talking about? You're going in the wrong direction. I was wondering if the per-system emulators were modified to account for the fact that they were running on slightly different hardware on a slightly different OS.

Well, I wasn't wondering that...they most likely were "tweaked" for the hardware difference. What I was wondering if those "tweaks" laid the groundwork to move the emulators to the WIIU side entirely. It's doubtful, I suppose I was just fishing for rumors.

You're generally a good egg, KB, but when it comes to hardware and software, you're a bit mixed up. This isn't the first time you've put on your authoritative voice to mask straight bullshit about software.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1421 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

What do you guys think are the chances of walking into Wal Mart on Sunday and finding NSMB U? I have my preorder from GS.com coming but since I canceled my Epic Mickey preorder, I decided to go the NSMB U route instead.

I'm pretty sure big box retailers like Walmart and Best Buy will have plenty of copies, I don't think software shortages were ever an issue with Wii titles.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1422 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

What are you talking about? You're going in the wrong direction. I was wondering if the per-system emulators were modified to account for the fact that they were running on slightly different hardware on a slightly different OS.

Well, I wasn't wondering that...they most likely were "tweaked" for the hardware difference. What I was wondering if those "tweaks" laid the groundwork to move the emulators to the WIIU side entirely. It's doubtful, I suppose I was just fishing for rumors.

You're generally a good egg, KB, but when it comes to hardware and software, you're a bit mixed up. This isn't the first time you've put on your authoritative voice to mask straight bullshit about software.

I'm not entirely sure, but I've been told those games would have to be updated for Wii U in order to play them on the Gamepad and such. I don't know how much work they'd have to put into them, nor do I know what games they'll do it for.

I've been told that it's feasible to get Pro Controller support for Wii Mode, but to what extent I don't know. But it's impossible for the Gamepad to get that support. But the reasons behind why X and Y may or may not happen is obvious once you think about it. And that's why Wii Mode is going to work the way it does.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1423 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Someone is going to need to make a clip or stand for two sensor bars one on top of the other, because I'm sure we won't be alone in having both a Wii and a Wii U. Going to be annoying having two sensor bars, but oh well. Better would be a single sensor bar with a y-splitting wire that goes to both consoles. The wire is just for power, so this should seem to be doable. Or does the Wii or WiiU provide sensor bar power even when asleep? If so then we wouldn't need any of that.

Crunchewy.png

#1424 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

40 hours!(hums Mario tune all day)

#1425 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Someone is going to need to make a clip or stand for two sensor bars one on top of the other, because I'm sure we won't be alone in having both a Wii and a Wii U. Going to be annoying having two sensor bars, but oh well. Better would be a single sensor bar with a y-splitting wire that goes to both consoles. The wire is just for power, so this should seem to be doable. Or does the Wii or WiiU provide sensor bar power even when asleep? If so then we wouldn't need any of that.

Well the Sensor Bar has sticky tape on its' underside, so that's feasible. I'm just going to transfer my stuff put my Wii away, using my already out Sensor Bar for Wii U.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1426 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Get a wireless one? I got a cheap one with an on/off switch and the batteries have always lasted a long time in it.

#1427 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

http://kotaku.com/59...ed-for-december

I am not mad that it's delayed. I can forgive that. It's just I was hoping to free up a HDMI port or something with this Nintendo TVii.

Anyone got suggestions on a HDMI switcher?
Posted Image

#1428 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Anyone got suggestions on a HDMI switcher?

I bought this one from Meritline a while ago. I'm currently using it with both a 360/PS3, and have another HDMI cord that's "loose" that I use for hooking up a laptop to view streamed shows.

It has worked flawlessly the entire time. I didn't see any loss in signal quality. It auto-switches, so all I have to do is put my TV on the 360/PS3 input and turn on the appropriate system. I've never had to use the included remote for this exact reason, and it has a button on it to switch around as needed. It's tiny, and can draw power from the HDMI out connection, so you don't even need the included AC adapter.

For how small and inexpensive it is, it works VERY well. I plan on using it with the Wii U whenever I decide to get one.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1429 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Get a wireless one? I got a cheap one with an on/off switch and the batteries have always lasted a long time in it.

Hmm, I have one of those somewhere. Thanks for reminding me I need to dig it out. I recently switched to a projector so running the standard Wii sensor across the room was a no go. Haven't had shit to play on the Wii in months though so I haven't thought to grab the wireless one.

#1430 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I forgot that I'm out of HDMI inputs too... I'm not sure if I want to get a switch or if I want to just buy a sound bar with additional HDMI inputs. Whatever I do I'll just need to make sure it's compatible with my 3DTV.
Posted Image

#1431 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I forgot that I'm out of HDMI inputs too... I'm not sure if I want to get a switch or if I want to just buy a sound bar with additional HDMI inputs. Whatever I do I'll just need to make sure it's compatible with my 3DTV.

They make soundbars with HDMI ports? Well I might need to take a look at them. Probably just going to do the HDMI switch but wont hurt to take a look.
Posted Image

#1432 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

I recently picked up a new surround sound receiver, and made sure it had the necessary HDMI switching. (was well as 3D pass-through) So I'm set in that regard. It doesn't hurt that the Wii U will be coming with its own HDMI cable either. I'm starting to get pretty excited. (though it could just be the coffee I just finished) I'll call around to various shops tomorrow to see which would be the most likely candidate.

#1433 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ordered a HDMI Switcher off Amazon. Got the $8.99 3 port one which will be enough to power my PS3, Wii-U and Raspberry Pi.

This month has been the death of me. Wii-U, NSMB U, Raspberry Pi, Hellsing V-VIII, Black Lagoon Complete, and Soul Eater Complete.

I am sorry bank account :lol:.
Posted Image

#1434 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

What are you using the Pi for? I've been keeping an eye on it since I'd love to use one to power a mini arcade cabinet. I don't think MAME runs smoothly though yet.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1435 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'd like to use a Pi as a Minecraft server, but from what I"m reading it is too slow and doesn't work well.

Crunchewy.png

#1436 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Not that I don't already have an Xbox to stream all this content, but this is kind of a bummer that we won't get video apps day one as expected: http://www.ign.com/a...eo-apps-delayed
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1437 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Wii-U shipped. Looks like I am hunting down Mario on Sunday.
Posted Image

#1438 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not that I don't already have an Xbox to stream all this content, but this is kind of a bummer that we won't get video apps day one as expected: http://www.ign.com/a...eo-apps-delayed

I agree, but I'm not really all that concerned. The US is getting it in advance of everyone else and I'm more concerned about the games. It would have been nice to have the video apps up on day one, but I'm ok with it. I still have an Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Roku.
Posted Image

#1439 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

Yup, that's some catchy music.

CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1440 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

Was just coming here to make sure someone posted that music. Pretty bangin'. Glad to see the first Wii U "hack" was for something that worthy.