Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6667 replies to this topic

#1471 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I know this has been mentioned before but I am still a little foggy. Assuming I am using a powered USB hard drive, am I going to be able to download Wii U games to that storage or is that only for things like media and such ?

Yeah, your assumption is right. The expandable storage is for Wii U downloads and game saves and stuff like that. I don't know about media however. The Wii U formats it for use when you plug it in.

#1472 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Trying to make sure that I am understanding everything correctly. Due to my wife deciding that she wanted one last minute I did not pre-order.

Went to the store this morning and was able to pick up a Basic Model.

At this time, I have no interest in Nintendoland so missing out on that part doesn't bother me. My confusion lies with the expandable storage.

I know this has been mentioned before but I am still a little foggy. Assuming I am using a powered USB hard drive, am I going to be able to download Wii U games to that storage or is that only for things like media and such ?

I don't care about having to expand my storage after the fact, but trying to figure out if there is something else that I am missing from not getting the deluxe model beside internal storage, the free game and the dock.

99% of all my purchases would be in disc form anyway as I prefer physical media, but just wanting to understand it fully since I havent been keeping up with it that much.

A USB hard drive can store Wii U games.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1473 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, your assumption is right. The expandable storage is for Wii U downloads and game saves and stuff like that. I don't know about media however. The Wii U formats it for use when you plug it in.

Ok thanks. I was wondering wether or not to keep it or have to go out hunting again for the next few weeks. Ugh.

Just wanting it to be over (and she probably won't know the difference anyway) I think I am just going to keep the white one and use the extra $50 to pick up a classic controller pro if I can find one.
Posted Image

#1474 CronO_O

CronO_O

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Did anyone get a club nintendo code with nintendo land

#1475 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Has there been any word on gamesharing of any kind? I'm wondering if I can get away with one deluxe and one basic (for my parents) and just do all of my digital purchasing on my deluxe unit.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

RE: XBox ONE

at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4

#1476 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Did anyone get a club nintendo code with nintendo land

Numerous unboxing videos showed that no Club Nintendo code came with Nintendoland. Whether that was the reviewer units only I'm not sure, but I assume it won't come with one. I don't remember Wii Sports coming with one.
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1477 CronO_O

CronO_O

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Numerous unboxing videos showed that no Club Nintendo code came with Nintendoland. Whether that was the reviewer units only I'm not sure, but I assume it won't come with one. I don't remember Wii Sports coming with one.

That's what i assumed but then i saw on club nintendo that the game had one. Would be annoying if only separate game had it...

#1478 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

That's what i assumed but then i saw on club nintendo that the game had one. Would be annoying if only separate game had it...

I didn't see a code in my box, and I only got 160 coins for registration. The Club Nintendo site shows 160 coins for both the base model and deluxe model, so looks like there is no additional points earned for buying the deluxe model.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#1479 Hardware

Hardware

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I didn't see a code in my box, and I only got 160 coins for registration. The Club Nintendo site shows 160 coins for both the base model and deluxe model, so looks like there is no additional points earned for buying the deluxe model.

That's kind of lame. I guess Nintendo figures the e-shop discount is enough for the deluxe owners.

#1480 tukai

tukai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

I walked into a Toys R us and got a deluxe no problem. I bought ME3, Mario, FIFA 13 and Zombi. However I am waiting for the reviews before I open them up. I have a paid off deluxe at gamestop as well so I will have 2

#1481 mikemgmve

mikemgmve

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

3rd attempt on the update. Started it once, got in bed. Before falling asleep checked on it - errored. Started it a 2nd time, and went to bed. Woke up to it errored. Just resumed again (thank god it resumes), and am about 1/3rd of the way done with the download. Blergh. I have pretty fast internet too, so it's not me.

#1482 TaylorM06

TaylorM06

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I can't figure out how to access my $20 I have on my 3DS Shop on my Wii U. I thought this was transferable? Am I missing something or am I wrong all together?

#1483 Renaissance 2K

Renaissance 2K

*nom nom nom*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

To anyone who did the system transfer:

Does it move everything over at once, or can you selectively choose what moves over, and what stays on the Wii?
Posted Image

#1484 Batcave Dweller

Batcave Dweller

Gone Batty!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Just finished setting up my black Wii U. Everything's going smooth so far. It's a pretty nice system. I'll explore it further after taking a nap...the blasted system updates wore me out.

Is there going to be a separate thread for us to share our Nintendo Network IDs?
-- Frosty

Playing: :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, :wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom, :3ds: Project X Zone,
:ds: Solatorobo, :psp: Persona 3 Portable, :ps3: (JP) BlazBlue: Chronophantasma & (US) Aquapazza

#1485 Scobie

Scobie

CAG City Rocker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Forty minutes into the system update... WTF Nintendo. Other than that, console flippers were out in force, including one supreme jackwad who had over 15 deluxe sets preordered to flip. Ran into a couple more flippers at best buy. These guys suck.
Posted Image

#1486 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Forty minutes into the system update... WTF Nintendo. Other than that, console flippers were out in force, including one supreme jackwad who had over 15 deluxe sets preordered to flip. Ran into a couple more flippers at best buy. These guys suck.

Meh. Next time people who show up at 5 minutes before opening should show up earlier. I did and I pre-ordered.

#1487 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm over an hour into downloading this update and the bar hasn't moved in the past 30.

;__;
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1488 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Got through the update, transferred my Mii over from my 3DS, and got my Nintendo Network name down (Almost changed the We in my name to Wii for fun, but decided against it lol)

659629.png?68329996

#1489 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hey guys, Nintendo is charging $0.50 to register a minor on Nintendo Network. Mad. Geniuses.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1490 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hey guys, Nintendo is charging $0.50 to register a minor on Nintendo Network. Mad. Geniuses.

That way they can prove they have parental consent.

Genius.

#1491 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yea but the joke is on them. I'm not seeing an ebay auction go over $500. After fees and shipping they are making probably <$50

#1492 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Cant figure out how to transfer stuff.

I downloaded the app rom the "wii" in the Wii U put when I put my card in my old Wii that app does not show up.

#1493 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Got Mario at Best Buy. So excited for Tuesday when my GS shipment is supposed to come in with the Wii-U.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1494 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

What if Nintendo released a console and nobody noticed?

I can't even find a substantial amount of gameplay videos on YouTube. I'm trying to find fan-uploaded Assassin's Creed III footage but no luck. Are videos still being taken down or do people just not care? The damn thing is out.

I don't care if the games aren't a huge step up graphically, but I do want to see if the games have more AA, AF and a longer LOD distance than the versions on current consoles. One thing that really bothers me about current games is how LOD distances are abused. In AC3 on Xbox 360/PS3, the "fade-in" is atrocious.

#1495 mikemgmve

mikemgmve

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I temporarily moved my Wii U to my bedroom tv (which is closer to my router), and my download is going much faster. Kind of annoying it's having issues out in my living room. I don't really have the option of moving the router there, I'm stuck in my current configuration. I may have to look into an ethernet/USB converter, and just switch the one cable I have run out there for my PS3 (which was to speed up Media serving from my computer). We'll see how it goes after I update everything and get it up and running though.

Also I think my bedroom TV is too old to properly recognize this newer spec'd HDMI cable. My picture's all wonky. My other HDMI cables work, and the nintendo one works fine out on my newer bigger living room tv.

#1496 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Download is going very slow for me as well. I just assumed it was due to the massive number of people trying to download on the first day so I'm just letting it go.
Posted Image

#1497 nbuubu

nbuubu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Has anyone downloaded a retail game from the eStore yet? Really curious if a game like NSMBU loads up faster on Download vs Disc. It should, but I'm wondering by how much.

#1498 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

As slow as the firmware/system updates are, I really fear what a game download would be like.

Enjoying Nintendoland thus far. I got Scribblenauts & Mario as well. I'm not sure how friend requests work with this console but my Nintendo Network id is Bezerker

538822.png

#1499 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm going to get some sleep

NN: KingBroly

I'll have to add you to. It's sorta like Friend Codes in that respect, but it's a lot easier to remember ;)

+ TV remote stuff is genius in my opinion
+ Nintendoland seems fun
- 2.5 hours of updates
- Lack of Sleep
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1500 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Anyone else have trouble getting setup with the Nintendo network? I cannot seem to get the confirmation email to send.