Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6287 replies to this topic

#1561 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

NSMBU's levels are much bigger than NSMB2's levels. I've gone below 100 seconds a few times. But I think thus far NSMB2 is much more difficult than NSMBU. I've played several levels where the game afterwards said 'you beat it without getting hit, wanna post about it on Miiverse?' In NSMB2 I usually got hit 2-4 times a level consistently. But I think the physics/tightness of the controls are better in NSMBU.

But the Challenges are fantastic. I've played almost all of them, and they're all really good. I hope there's more to them than I think there are.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1562 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

In theory Best Buy has my pre-ordered (in-store pickup) Wii U Deluxe, but I'm worried that I might show up tonight and they'll say it's gone. Hopefully they don't sell pre-ordered consoles that weren't picked up day 1. In any case it will be an Xmas gift so I won't be playing it until then.
Posted Image

#1563 gnargnargnar

gnargnargnar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I probably won't get as much use out of my Wii U as most, since I'll stick to PC on the cross platform single player type stuff -- this is a family/Nintendo 1st party venture for me.

I will say that NSMBU alone was worth the price of admission, though. (Didn't have a Wii for the earlier version).

I'm romping around as Luigi, my wife is playing a competent Mario, my 8yr old step-daughter is stomping heads and doing ok, but letting me carry/throw her during tricky parts, my 4 year old daughter is having a blast placing blocks over pits and poking enemies on the touch screen, and my 2 year old daughter is giggling the whole time just watching it all.
Posted Image

#1564 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

You could always try calling them, although the lines are probably busy. I think they'll release another update (lol) that has the ability to transfer accounts and such. It'd make sense to do so.

I had to call the support line to set up my Wii U. It crashed on the create Mii page. All I had to do was restart the console. Anyways, I was able to talk to someone right away.

...This whole thing is really weird. On the first start-up menu I could have sworn that there was an option to use an existing Nintendo Network ID.
Posted Image

#1565 PieterMc

PieterMc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I am very impressed so far. My only complaint is that the OS seems slow. Perhaps that is something that can be addressed in and update.

If anybody wants to add me my id is pietermc
Earn free prizes from Swagbucks

#1566 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

NSMBU's levels are much bigger than NSMB2's levels. I've gone below 100 seconds a few times. But I think thus far NSMB2 is much more difficult than NSMBU. I've played several levels where the game afterwards said 'you beat it without getting hit, wanna post about it on Miiverse?' In NSMB2 I usually got hit 2-4 times a level consistently. But I think the physics/tightness of the controls are better in NSMBU.

But the Challenges are fantastic. I've played almost all of them, and they're all really good. I hope there's more to them than I think there are.

Now I am really fucking excited to play it. With the world map and all, this looks fantastic. Glad I decided to pick it up.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1567 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Out with the old.

Posted Image

In with the new.

Posted Image

I'm never gonna finish Halo 4 at this rate.

Most excitingly, I can now play Wii games on my iMac display. The HDMI adapter I purchased for my Wii previously didn't work. (It looks like poo, obviously, but my iMac is bigger than my TV and the panel itself is much nicer.)

#1568 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Out with the old.

Spoiler

In with the new.

Spoiler

Most excitingly, I can now play Wii games on my iMac display. The HDMI adapter I purchased for my Wii previously didn't work. (It looks like poo, obviously, but my iMac is bigger than my TV and the panel itself is much nicer.)

Nice setup.

#1569 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Out with the old.

Spoiler

In with the new.

Spoiler

How do you output video onto the iMac?

#1570 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

How do you output video onto the iMac?

Kanex XD Around $85 on Amazon, only works with Mini DisplayPort iMacs that support Target display mode (2009 and 2010 models, listed on the "specs" page of the linked website.

#1571 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Maximumzero, why wouldn't you leave both systems hooked up on your desk?

#1572 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

So, after realizing that Wii games don't look amazingly better on the Wii U and that I can move my Miis with the 3DS, I decided against the Wii to Wii U transfer. Honestly, I don't see the benefit to effectively gutting my Wii and losing GC controller support for an only so slightly clearer picture. It's a nice option, but I'd rather just leave them as separate systems.

Oh, and seriously... best launch game? NintendoLand. The people who shit on it and traded it before even giving it a try are really missing out. Mario is great, and I'm enjoying Scribblenauts, but NintendoLand is easily *the* launch game for me. And, shit, I say that as someone who hasn't even touched multiplayer yet. If you own a Wii U and don't have NintendoLand, you've fucked up.

#1573 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Maximumzero, why wouldn't you leave both systems hooked up on your desk?

Only one HDMI port on the adapter I have to use to connect a console to my iMac. I guess I could get a splitter but that's just more cables and clutter.

It's fine though, the 360 is going over to a 19" HDTV that's directly behind where the computer is. I didn't toss it out or trade it or sell it. (I've got too much invested in it)

#1574 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Honestly, I don't see the benefit to effectively gutting my Wii and losing GC controller support for an only so slightly clearer picture. It's a nice option, but I'd rather just leave them as separate systems.

I'm going to take the same approach. I think that feature is best for people who invested heavily in Virtual Console downloads on their Wii. Being able to transfer all of those over to a new, HDMI-enabled system seems like it would be more convenient. I only bought a small handful of VC titles on my Wii, and I feel quite comfortable leaving them there.

If anyone got stuck with a Basic Set instead of the Deluxe Set, go to Toys'R'Us for your game shopping. Their Buy 1, get 1 %40 off will allow you to pick up a title of your choice, and then get Nintendoland for $36. That will give you a bundle comparable to the Deluxe Set for just $336. The Deluxe Set is still the better deal, but the Toys'R'Us games sale is a good compromise.

#1575 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Okay guys...how do I know what kind of security I have on my Internet? (WEP, etc)?

I have 0 idea.

#1576 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Okay guys...how do I know what kind of security I have on my Internet? (WEP, etc)?

I have 0 idea.

You more than likely have WPA2 if you've set up your router within the last two years or so.

It should auto-sense the security though, AFAIK.

#1577 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I have 0 idea.

Easiest way to tell is to get a laptop and ask it to connect to the wireless signal. Normally it should say "WirelessNetworkName (WPA)" or something similar. Whatever is in the parenthesis would be your type of encryption. Of course, this isn't the most definitive way of knowing what security you use, but it's the quickest. Your laptop would probably show a lock icon next to any network with security (as in, a picture of a lock). If it's unlocked, it would still be a picture of a lock, but unlocked (i.e., think of opening a school/bike locker).

To get absolute information, you'd need to access your router's configuration. Most routers let you do this by going to 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, or something similar. You'd need to log in - try "admin" for the username and password, and then "admin" for the username with no password, and then "admin" for the username with "password" for the password. If none of those work, you'd need to check your router's documentation, or determine what was set up for the router by whoever set it up. Worst case scenario is that you have to reset the router, but I caution against this since it'll break connection with every device that currently connects to the router (which isn't a HUGE deal but would be annoying).

Once inside, the configuration screens will be different for every router, but you'd want to find something referencing wireless/wireless security/wireless configuration. In here, you should be able to find whatever security your router has (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc).

WEP generally isn't used any more because it's easily crackable, so you're more than likely using WPA or WPA2. If you're using that, you'll need to get your security/network key, which you can also find by the configuration page.

/probably more information than you needed

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1578 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Only one HDMI port on the adapter I have to use to connect a console to my iMac. I guess I could get a splitter but that's just more cables and clutter.

It's fine though, the 360 is going over to a 19" HDTV that's directly behind where the computer is. I didn't toss it out or trade it or sell it. (I've got too much invested in it)

Or just swap the lone HDMI cable between them. Not saying it'd be ideal, and I'm not trying to sound like I am criticizing you, I was just curious, because I couldn't imagine not using all my systems on my main display if it were an option.

#1579 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

After initial growing pains, my console has been pretty smooth. The girlfriend has enjoyed NintendoLand with me. NSMBU arrives from Newegg on Wednesday.

#1580 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

I really like how smooth the disc feed on the system is (and the white light to indicate a disc is in the drive is a nice touch).

MY biggest concern about the system is the long load times on menues and some of the reports of textures not loading properly on some of the port games. I was expecting this thing to rocket around like a boss with it's SSD and the amount of ram it has.

Other than that- i'm still puzzled by the strange control layout sticks and buttons inverted from industry standard (why reinvent the wheel?).

Other than that, i'm enjoying it.
Spoiler

#1581 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Oh no I just noticed $60 is the Wii U game price point.

Yep, though there are exceptions like the Sega Racing game ($39.99) and some others. Newegg had deals on Wii U game pre-orders, but those are over and I see nothing Wii U for BF.
Posted Image

#1582 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Newegg had deals on Wii U game pre-orders, but those are over and I see nothing Wii U for BF.

At the moment, one of the best deals on Wii U games is at Toys'R'Us, who are running a buy 1, get 1 40% off deal on all Wii and Wii U titles. 40% off of $60 is $36. Averaged between two $60 games comes to a price of less than $50 each. (not unreasonable for brand-new titles)

#1583 Batcave Dweller

Batcave Dweller

Gone Batty!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

So far so good for my black Wii U. Phew.

Too bad Toys R Us doesn't offer a FULL selection of Wii U games. No Orochi. I'd have liked to take advantage of their B1G1 sale for such titles.

I'll keep my Wii available for PAL/JP games that don't have US counterparts so it's still of some use.
-- Frosty

Playing: :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, :wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom, :3ds: Project X Zone,
:ds: Solatorobo, :psp: Persona 3 Portable, :ps3: (JP) BlazBlue: Chronophantasma & (US) Aquapazza

#1584 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Other than that- i'm still puzzled by the strange control layout sticks and buttons inverted from industry standard (why reinvent the wheel?).

A, B, X and Y? They had this layout on the SNES.

Plus, this makes VC games from that era the same layout as they were/should be.

#1585 pjarvi

pjarvi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Just got my pre-order from Gamestop.com and got it hooked up. Downloading the update right now. In case anyone was wondering: I have a 3rd party USB ethernet adapter that came out for the Wii before Nintendo released their own and it works perfectly on the Wii U. I don't remember the brand though and it isn't labeled.

Also, while the update is downloading you can change video sources and it will still download and show the status on the Gamepad screen. So, you don't have to stare at the information screen on the TV for an hour+. I have a plasma, so I didn't want to leave it sitting up.

Edited by pjarvi, 20 November 2012 - 12:34 AM.
grammor

#1586 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Just got my pre-order from Gamestop.com and got it hooked up. Downloading the update right now. In case anyone was wondering: I have a 3rd party USB ethernet adapter that came out for the Wii before Nintendo released their own and it works perfectly on the Wii U. I don't remember the brand though and it isn't labeled.

Also, while the update is downloading you can change video sources and it will still download and show the status on the Gamepad screen. So, you don't have to stare at the information screen on the TV for an hour+. I have a plasma, so I didn't want to leave it sitting up.

Welcome to every console this gen? :?:

#1587 mikemgmve

mikemgmve

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Picked up a pro-controller from TRU (only one left) with their 20% off coupon. Don't have any games for it right now, but in the future...

No accessories/covers/screen protectors that looked good at TRU. That Nerf one looks hideous to me. Gamestop only had that one, and the 'hard cover' which is only for non-use. But WalmArt had a ton of accessories. So I picked up one of the silicone sleeves. Looks and fits nice. We'll see if it lasts, or if I grow tired of it, as I do like the way the pad feels by itself, but it does get pretty unsightly. Also got the screen protector and applied it as best as I could.

Also, looking at the demo units at stores, those white pads don't necessarily hide the dirt or fingerprints, so I know people knock the black ones, and I was even considering trying to trade the pad at some point in the future.. but.. meh.

Here's a question, and it could be pretty dumb and I should probably know the answer, but the feature to play games solely on the controller.. is that really a FEATURE? Or is it a - you turn the TV off, or change input, and there you go? I.e. ONLY if the game duplicates the screen? meaning games that use both the pad screen AND TV are actually not playable solely on the controller? I'm getting the sense this is how it is, but I feel like I always saw in the trailers, the kid hitting some button on the screen to switch to wii-pad ONLY mode.. and that doesn't seem to exist, unless I'm blind.

Otherwise in love with the system. Had to hold myself back from buying more games, when Nintendoland, Sonic & Mario have plenty of hours to be spent. But i just want MORE MORE MORE!

#1588 pjarvi

pjarvi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Welcome to every console this gen? :?:

I've had devices go to sleep and/or lose their HDCP handshake when changing inputs. :booty:

#1589 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

I was thinking of picking up a pro controller at Best Buy today and had it in my hand. Then I realized that none of the 3 games I've picked up even use it (Scribblenauts, Mario, and Nintendo Land).

Also, my tracking updated earlier this afternoon and my deluxe is in a town about 2 hours away scheduled for delivery tomorrow. This wait sucks!

#1590 io

io

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Wow, so I haven't really followed the availability of these at retail. But I was just in Fred Meyer and they had at least 8 of the regular ones. I found that somewhat surprising.

They also do not carry any sort of USB network adapter so I can't get my Wii transfer done and the system hooked up in the living room tonight. Yet another day where the Wii U sits unplayed in my office...