Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6667 replies to this topic

#1591 strawyleader997

strawyleader997

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

I don't know why people want to buy a Wii U when it will be worthless once the xbox 720 or the PS4 comes out.

#1592 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

I don't know why people want to buy a Wii U when it will be worthless once the xbox 720 or the PS4 comes out.

I don't know why anyone would want a ps360 when a pc plays most of the same games and looks much better.

#1593 io

io

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

I don't know why anyone would want a ps360 when a pc plays most of the same games and looks much better.

Indeed, I actually see more use for the Wii U than the marginally better PS4/720. We finally get Nintendo stuff in HD which is reason enough to buy one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm going to get that on the next Sony/MS systems. On the other hand, I can live with the current HD quality of the PS3/360 for a while - see no need for a new one of those any time soon.

#1594 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Indeed, I actually see more use for the Wii U than the marginally better PS4/720. We finally get Nintendo stuff in HD which is reason enough to buy one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm going to get that on the next Sony/MS systems. On the other hand, I can live with the current HD quality of the PS3/360 for a while - see no need for a new one of those any time soon.

I was just having this conversation with a friend. We both couldn't see what the point of the next gen for Sony/MS right now, as the current games look and play fantastic. Maybe consoles that can play in 1080P instead of being upscaled, with better textures and physics, but I'm content with what I have right now and don't see the next consoles as "must haves" on day one especially when first model PS360's were shit (RROD and then latter on YLOD).

The Wii U, on the other hand, fills a need: High Definition Nintendo games. That's all I need. The wants, like the GamePad and other stuff, only make it better. The GamePad TV remote function is f*cking genius, I didn't even know I needed something like that, but I absolutely do.

#1595 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'm curious about the transfer from wii to wiiu. Do you get to select the games you transfer over? I believe I had that option from the dsi to 3ds. Just curious even though I'm going to try to hold off on any new consoles for a few years.

#1596 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

I believe it's an all or nothing process. I didn't do it as I don't own any VC or WiiWare titles and I'd rather be able to use GameCube pads for the games that support them and have locked saves.

#1597 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

it is all or nothing. I did it last night and the Wii is cleaned out.

#1598 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Here's a question, and it could be pretty dumb and I should probably know the answer, but the feature to play games solely on the controller.. is that really a FEATURE? Or is it a - you turn the TV off, or change input, and there you go? I.e. ONLY if the game duplicates the screen? meaning games that use both the pad screen AND TV are actually not playable solely on the controller? I'm getting the sense this is how it is, but I feel like I always saw in the trailers, the kid hitting some button on the screen to switch to wii-pad ONLY mode.. and that doesn't seem to exist, unless I'm blind.

Its a feature if the game developer decides to make it a feature. So its not a universal standard Wii U feature with a button you can push to switch between screens, its just one of the many ways that a developer can decide to use the Game Pad. If they want to make a button that lets you switch screens, then that's their decision. If they want to use the Game Pad to do other things but still require your TV to be used, then they can do that as well. Maybe both. All developer chosen options.
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1599 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

I have a deluxe model sitting unopened while I wait for the information to roll in.

I want to know if VC/Wii Ware games that previously supported classic controller input will be updated for the new game pad. I like the wii content transfer, I'm really glad they did that right.

One of the reasons I stopped playing my wii was because of the lack of HDMI and the goofy controller setup(s). I hated the teathered classic controller and most all games that used wiimote and nunchuck. They fixed one of those and I'd like to see older games given the option to use this cool game pad.
Posted Image

#1600 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

Its a feature if the game developer decides to make it a feature. So its not a universal standard Wii U feature with a button you can push to switch between screens, its just one of the many ways that a developer can decide to use the Game Pad. If they want to make a button that lets you switch screens, then that's their decision. If they want to use the Game Pad to do other things but still require your TV to be used, then they can do that as well. Maybe both. All developer chosen options.

I saw the kid hitting a button commercial too. I'm pretty sure, now that I know how it works, that he hit the TV button and used the gamepad as a remote to change input, and then kept playing on the gamepad screen.

They didn't show all of that in the commercial, but it would make sense if that is what they were trying to depict.

It's also possible the commercial's director and the actors assumed a button would e used to switch so that's what they did for the commercial, as usually in commercials the screen images are simulated.

#1601 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

I have a deluxe model sitting unopened while I wait for the information to roll in.

I want to know if VC/Wii Ware games that previously supported classic controller input will be updated for the new game pad. I like the wii content transfer, I'm really glad they did that right.

One of the reasons I stopped playing my wii was because of the lack of HDMI and the goofy controller setup(s). I hated the teathered classic controller and most all games that used wiimote and nunchuck. They fixed one of those and I'd like to see older games given the option to use this cool game pad.

Believe it's all with Wii stuff, no pro controller support.

#1602 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

Believe it's all with Wii stuff, no pro controller support.

And that's why I'm waiting, want to find out if that changes.
Posted Image

#1603 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

i always wanted hd mii's, not
i'll stick with my ps3 for a few years and then upgrade to a pc, newer gen systems don't sound good at all

Not sure why you thought we'd care?
Posted Image

#1604 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

So do I return my Pro controller and pick up Sonic All-Stars Racing (or Scribblenauts .. or ZombiU ..) .. ???

#1605 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Scribblenauts is fun, but even though they say it's got multiplayer, it really doesn't. The second players don't really do anything like the GamePad player.

#1606 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

Scribblenauts is fun, but even though they say it's got multiplayer, it really doesn't. The second players don't really do anything like the GamePad player.

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards Sonic. Craving a decent casual racing game. Last decent ones I played were Blur / NFS The Run on 360.

#1607 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

Disappointed that the Wii on WiiU setup maintains the 512 system limit. Going to have to keep an SD card in the Wii U for just a few games.

#1608 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Ugh ... I love this system but am starting to really regret getting in on the launch of another console.

Every single time I try to play the Donkey Kong game on Nintendoland my console freezes and starts making a loud buzzing noise. Tried it 5 times in a row with the same results.

Did not have any trouble with Mario U but I was actually enjoying Nintendoland more. My console is out in the open and is getting plenty or airflow so I know that is not the issue.

Seems like I am gonna get stuck with launch console issues just like I did with my launch 360 and 60Gb PS3 :(
Posted Image

#1609 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Otherwise in love with the system. Had to hold myself back from buying more games, when Nintendoland, Sonic & Mario have plenty of hours to be spent. But i just want MORE MORE MORE!

Yeah I had to hold back on buying more games myself lol. I just wanna start building my Wii U library

#1610 Lyth

Lyth

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Anyone want to do me a favour?

It's pretty tricky to pick up a Wii U in China. I've tried a website called "Taobao" which is like eBay, but all of the sellers on there speak Chinese, and mine is quite limited. Plus, all Wii U's are about $400-$500 for the Basic Model.

If someone could pick me up a Wii U 8GB White model (US version) and ship it to me, I'd be thankful. Obviously, I'd pay. I have paypal, and everything.

If this is against the rules to ask, let me know. I plan on sticking around these forums, so I hope to not get in trouble.

EDIT: Meant to ask - Is there a VPN setting in the Wii U's network options? Is there any game demo's on the store (or free games?)

#1611 EXStrike

EXStrike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

There aren't any demos on the eShop atm

#1612 pjarvi

pjarvi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Tried out BlOps2, definitely need the pro controller, the Gamepad is just too distracting to use with it. Fired up Netflix and watching a movie on the Gamepad now while using the TV for the PC. So glad I bought this rather than an iPad. The only downside so far has been the noise of the disc drive, I got so used to installing games to the hard drive on the 360 that I forgot how loud discs can be.

#1613 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Christ they need to get this unable to find internet connection bullshit sorted. Or at least not make me sit and wait while it can't find the internet, then wants me to make a new connection.

No stupid, the connection is there, you just can't use it for whatever reason. The same connection works just fine for this computer, the 360, the PS3, the 3DS, and everything else that I throw at it... *sigh*

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#1614 rockstarnati

rockstarnati

PlayStation 4 Day One Owners Club

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'm kinda surprised there are no apps to take pics or video or listen to music. Not sure I'd ever use those features, but maybe they will come one day.

PSN: rockstarnati | XBL: rockstarnati

Check out this thread to get an Xbox One or $480 cash/gift card for FREE! This is 100% legit!

The more CAGs who do it, the more CAGs who get free Xbox Ones, cash or gift cards!!!

Here. Have another! FREE Wii U or $350 cash!

But wait, there's moreFREE PS Vita or $300 cash!

And more still! FREE iPad Mini or $430 cash!

#1615 Lyth

Lyth

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

There aren't any demos on the eShop atm

Alright. What about free games?
Looking to buy a Wii U.

Living in US or Canada, and able to buy me a Wii U and ship it to China? Message me. I have paypal, etc.

#1616 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Ugh ... I love this system but am starting to really regret getting in on the launch of another console.

Every single time I try to play the Donkey Kong game on Nintendoland my console freezes and starts making a loud buzzing noise. Tried it 5 times in a row with the same results.

Did not have any trouble with Mario U but I was actually enjoying Nintendoland more. My console is out in the open and is getting plenty or airflow so I know that is not the issue.

Seems like I am gonna get stuck with launch console issues just like I did with my launch 360 and 60Gb PS3 :(

My console just did this while playing the F-Zero game. A few seconds before I had hit the "camera" button on the touch screen. Had to pull the power cord to shut it down. :/

#1617 Cheapskate

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Someone already managed to grab "Xscapist." Meanie. :-(

So when setting up the Wii U initially has anyone had it refuse to display when 1080p is selected as the option, only displaying in 1080i?

#1618 Chris in Cali

Chris in Cali

Mr. Negativity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I have to say for all the praise Nintendoland has gotten as being "the best launch game" it's easily my least favorite. I really don't like playing games that focus almost completely on the GamePad. I didn't buy a home console and 55" HDTV to play on a 480p poor contrast ratio screen in my controller. It's like why even have the TV on at that point? I much prefer ZombiU and NSMBU. I really hope the trend of games that play mostly on the pad doesn't continue... I have a 3DS & iPad if I want to play a handheld.

I like when the screen is used optionally or as a map, quick item select, ect. Not when I have to use it a gyroscopic camera control, or it's the main focus. Feels too gimmicky.

#1619 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm finding myself only looking at the gamepad for Mario & Scribblenauts even though im 10 ft away from my 52" tv. For Scribblenauts, its kinda required to look at it for the menus unless you want to try and "feel it out" when it comes to finding all the icons on the tv.

The Pikmin game in Nintendoland is a lot of fun and the only "attraction" i've played almost to completion. I never got into the 2 Pikmin games that are already out but if the action is anything like the minigame, i'll be getting 3 for sure.

538822.png

#1620 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Well UPS says my WiiU is out for delivery. Can't wait till I get home from work :D.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly