Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6289 replies to this topic

#1741 pjarvi

pjarvi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Wow, I bought Just Dance 4 through the eShop, 15GB download and a 2 hour install after it downloaded. I wonder if they'll figure out a preload system like Steam does for future titles? Absolutely love that the Gamepad provides all the download/install statistics though, leaves the TV free for computer use. It'll be nice leaving Twitch streams up while playing games on the pad.

#1742 Batcave Dweller

Batcave Dweller

Gone Batty!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Really having fun with my Wii U lately. It's nice playing console games regularly again after so long (since Dreamcast/Gamecube). It wasn't like this with the original Wii.

That's all, folks!
-- Frosty

Playing: :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, :wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom, :3ds: Project X Zone,
:ds: Solatorobo, :psp: Persona 3 Portable, :ps3: (JP) BlazBlue: Chronophantasma & (US) Aquapazza

#1743 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Just an FYI in case you don't know or may have forgot, but you get 7 days to return a pre-owned game if you don't like it or there is something wrong with it.

I thought you could only return it for the same item? Or is that 30 days?

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#1744 Lyth

Lyth

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

If you've got people to play it with, Then Nintendoland's a worthy purchase. If not, wait for it to get cheaper.

Sonic Racing and Scribblenauts are solid buys, although Scribblenauts is half the price on PC.

Thanks! I decided to ask my parents for

1) Super Mario U
2) ZombiU
3) Tekken Tag Tournament 2
4) Assassins Creed 3

I wanted to ask for Sonic Racing, or Scribblenauts, but I didn't enjoy scribblenauts on the DS. It's a good game, it's just not my type of genre. Sonic Racing looked great, but it's gotten some really mixed reviews. Shame. I'll pick it up used though, as I want a cart racer. :)
Looking to buy a Wii U.

Living in US or Canada, and able to buy me a Wii U and ship it to China? Message me. I have paypal, etc.

#1745 Krate

Krate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Is there a way to view the post you've Yeah'd in Miiverse? I don't see anything in my profile that lets you.

#1746 Batcave Dweller

Batcave Dweller

Gone Batty!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Viewing this site using the Wii U browser. Definitely much better than Wii's and 3DS's.

Back to playing Tekken...

Sent from my Wii U
-- Frosty

Playing: :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, :wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom, :3ds: Project X Zone,
:ds: Solatorobo, :psp: Persona 3 Portable, :ps3: (JP) BlazBlue: Chronophantasma & (US) Aquapazza

#1747 Lyth

Lyth

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

So, what's the deal with external harddrives?

What's recommended? USB Powered external drive or one that plugs into the wall?

I can get a USB Powered Western Digital Passport 500GB drive for about $30. Real cheap, but I want to know if it'd work with the console or not.

Do USB powered ones need the Y Adapter?
Looking to buy a Wii U.

Living in US or Canada, and able to buy me a Wii U and ship it to China? Message me. I have paypal, etc.

#1748 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Some do, some don't. I'd say it's worth the 5 bucks to get the cable if you can find an external on sale.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#1749 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Well Tekken is awesome, except for the fact I can't play it worth of shit. I need a video tutorial series on how to play it, any ideas?
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1750 Batcave Dweller

Batcave Dweller

Gone Batty!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well Tekken is awesome, except for the fact I can't play it worth of shit. I need a video tutorial series on how to play it, any ideas?

I'd suggest that you try out the Practice mode and get familiar with each character's moveset. Once you're in that mode, hit the + button to bring up options...there you can see Command List. It'll show you button combos for various moves.
-- Frosty

#1751 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Anyone looking for a spare Wii U gamepad? I stumbled upon this on eBay. It might not have total functionality though.

http://www.ebay.com/...d=271109313864

#1752 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Oh, on a sidenote, does anyone know if the Wii U is compatible with the online features of old Wii games (i.e. playing Smash Bros. Brawl & Tatsunoko v. Capcom)? Thanks! I still have my Wii U in the box and I'm not 100% sure if I'm keeping it yet (only because my PS3 backlog is so long). Though the more I keep hearing about the it, I think I wanna keep it...

#1753 jj5206

jj5206

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Anyone looking for a spare Wii U gamepad? I stumbled upon this on eBay. It might not have total functionality though.

That is just absurd. Who would pay that much for that?

#1754 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

That is just absurd. Who would pay that much for that?

Noone, he just gonna get hit with fees and have to file a non-paying bidder with Ebay and fight to get it credited.

Still easily available around here 2 yesterday and 1 deluxe left tonight at Wal-mart. I'm still holding out and not biting though Youtube is a big help.

Florence KY Wal-mart if anyone wants it go gets it.

#1755 Dormin

Dormin

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

was wondering if anyone knows where on the e-shop the rayman legends demo is. I played it at gamestop recently.

Kamagii.png

#1756 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

FYI, I ordered a copy of Scribblenauts Unlimited Wii U earlier from amazon (have to go to other new offers) for $39.99. There's a 2-3 week wait, but I just need it for Xmas. Isn't this a $59.99 retail game?
Posted Image

#1757 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

was wondering if anyone knows where on the e-shop the rayman legends demo is. I played it at gamestop recently.

AFAIK there aren't any demo downloads on the eShop, just videos/screenshots.

uc.png

#1758 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

FYI, I ordered a copy of Scribblenauts Unlimited Wii U earlier from amazon (have to go to other new offers) for $39.99. There's a 2-3 week wait, but I just need it for Xmas. Isn't this a $59.99 retail game?

Indeed it is, I believe they are price matching Target's ad for the week.
Posted Image

#1759 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Agreed. The controls are unresponsive and I can't even watch a video. Don't bother downloading yet, folks.

Prime Instant Video works fine, though. Briefly watched The Terminator.

OMG, Your avatar pic was my favorite guy to pick in Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

#1760 wongjp

wongjp

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Can't... stop... laughing :booty:

#1761 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Anybody else having with Nintendoland and freezing issues? It was playing fine, played quite a few games then started freezing for no apparent reason. =/

#1762 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Anybody else having with Nintendoland and freezing issues? It was playing fine, played quite a few games then started freezing for no apparent reason. =/

Everything is freezing. This machine doesnt have the reset button as the Wii did so I have to take the power cord out about once or twice a day during heavy playing. Sucks.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#1763 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Everything is freezing. This machine doesnt have the reset button as the Wii did so I have to take the power cord out about once or twice a day during heavy playing. Sucks.

Have you completed the updates? I havent had a hang, but I also let everything update before I played any of the games in any depth.

#1764 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Nintendoland has just started freezing for me, but I haven't played that much since I got BlOps2. That being said, there is some speculation that it has something to do with Internet connectivity, and that disabling some of the Miiverse features can help alleviate the freezing.
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1765 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Nintendoland has just started freezing for me, but I haven't played that much since I got BlOps2. That being said, there is some speculation that it has something to do with Internet connectivity, and that disabling some of the Miiverse features can help alleviate the freezing.

Yep. WHat I've specifically read was changing your language settings to "English only" in Miiverse. I haven't had an opportunity to test this out though. Sure do miss that reset button.

#1766 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

My only issue with Nintendoland freezing is when I start the DK game. Haven't had any other problems at all.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1767 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Outside of the F-Zero game, I haven't had any further issues with freezing on Nintendo Land. Still have one now and then when browsing apps on the main menu.

On the last level (14) of the Zelda Battle Quest (as the archer). It's the last one I need "Mastered" status on. Been very close a couple times. Hopefully I'm able to get it tonight!

For the Metroid attraction, how do you
Spoiler
Can't seem to figure it out.

#1768 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Mine has frozen in the plaza, the coin game, DK, and the Zelda game. Doesn't seem to matter what game is involved. It does all seem to happen in the first few minutes of play- so it seems pretty clear that it's related to the game processing the external mii-verse data into your game.

I laid the system back down flat and haven't had any issues since. I'm 100% certain that it's unrelated to the system orientation, but whatever.
Spoiler

#1769 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

HI all, does anyone know anything about this controller? All I want to know is the controller works or not, I know 3rd party accessories can be a pain...

http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B009O3WU2A

#1770 jj5206

jj5206

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

So, what's the deal with external harddrives?

What's recommended? USB Powered external drive or one that plugs into the wall?

I can get a USB Powered Western Digital Passport 500GB drive for about $30. Real cheap, but I want to know if it'd work with the console or not.

Do USB powered ones need the Y Adapter?

I'm wondering the same thing. My cousin has some 320 gigs he's selling for cheap but they are just the passport drives. Would they work without the power adapter?