Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6695 replies to this topic

#1771 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I want to buy a set of those also. I wish I knew actual release date... I'd rather just walk in and pick some up. (Walmart has them online also.)

HI all, does anyone know anything about this controller? All I want to know is the controller works or not, I know 3rd party accessories can be a pain...

http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B009O3WU2A

#1772 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Outside of the F-Zero game, I haven't had any further issues with freezing on Nintendo Land. Still have one now and then when browsing apps on the main menu.

On the last level (14) of the Zelda Battle Quest (as the archer). It's the last one I need "Mastered" status on. Been very close a couple times. Hopefully I'm able to get it tonight!

For the Metroid attraction, how do you

Spoiler
Can't seem to figure it out.

You
Spoiler
. Just wait until
Spoiler

I thought I turned a corner with Razor's Edge. I thought all was well and good and the game was finally turning into something fun. And then came
Spoiler

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1773 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I want to buy a set of those also. I wish I knew actual release date... I'd rather just walk in and pick some up. (Walmart has them online also.)

From experience, 3rd party controllers suck! However, what intrigues me the most (other than the cool retro designs) is the Wii compatibility. The first party Pro controllers don't work with the Wii. I officially decommissioned my Wii (there's only one place for the sensor bar, so the Wii U wins), but it's good to know that the 3rd party Wii U controllers actually work with the Wii as well.

#1774 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Not only does that work with Wii games, but it works with NSMBU, because it acts as a Wii Remote. However what I wonder if that includes motion control? Like for tilting platforms and such. I don't know if that's in NSMBU, but it was in NSMBWii as I recall. But my experience with 3rd party controllers in the past has not been good, so I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach with this thing.

Crunchewy.png

#1775 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1776 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Spoiler

Time will tell, but it also appears that Nintendo isnt cracking down on negative posts either. I've seen a few Miiverse posts maligning, or at least complaining about, the game referenced.

Edit: the associated PA post is worth reading: http://penny-arcade....ll-to-breakfast

#1777 io

io

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Gee, I suppose that now that I have the Internet working I should check out this Miiverse thing. I only ever saw it with "demo" comments when my wireless wasn't connecting properly. Also, I've had no freezing issues whatsoever except for once the first time I turned it on. But now if I start having problems I guess I can blame Internet connectivity/Miiverse for that.

#1778 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Curious, are those of you having issues having them post OS and game updates?

I havent had any hard locks, but I have had the Amazon Video app bug out once and fail to respond on the Gamepad, yet still play video on the main screen.

#1779 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

So is the consensus now that the Wii U had a soft launch despite Nintendo claims that it "sold out everywhere"? I just checked Walmart inventories for various high population density areas around the country and most places have the 32GB in stock.

#1780 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

So is the consensus now that the Wii U had a soft launch despite Nintendo claims that it "sold out everywhere"? I just checked Walmart inventories for various high population density areas around the country and most places have the 32GB in stock.

I recommend calling them and asking if they actually have it in store.

#1781 jr233270

jr233270

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

My damn dog chewed through the charging cable for the Gamepad. Had to go to Gamestop and buy a new charging dock since the system is basically (i.e., actually) useless without a charged gamepad. Damn dog.

#1782 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

The initial batch may have sold out and replacement arrived during the week (this happened with the Wii launch), so NOA may be factually correct. Still, it looks like sales are lower compared to the Wii launch (400K vs 600K).

What is different this time is that the Wii still sold 300K during Thanksgiving week. I dont think the Gamecube was moving many units during the Wii launch timeframe.

All in all 1.2 million consoles isnt bad by any stretch, but it is a little weird that so many of those were Wii and DS sales.

http://news.cnet.com...-devices-total/

Edited by foltzie, 27 November 2012 - 12:15 AM.
fixed timeframe

#1783 Mad D

Mad D

CAG lurker since 04

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Added some of you to my friend list. PSN friends/smash bros got priority [I'm lazy].

#1784 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Yep. WHat I've specifically read was changing your language settings to "English only" in Miiverse. I haven't had an opportunity to test this out though. Sure do miss that reset button.

This worked like a charm for me. Multiple freezes at random spots yesterday, did the English Only change, zero freezes since.

uc.png

#1785 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

The initial batch may have sold out and replacement arrived during the week (this happened with the Wii launch), so NOA may be factually correct. Still, it looks like sales are lower compared to the Wii launch (400K vs 600K).

What is different this time is that the Wii still sold 300K during Thanksgiving week. I dont think the Gamecube was moving many units during the Wii launch timeframe.

All in all 1.2 million consoles isnt bad by any stretch, but it is a little weird that so many of those were Wii and DS sales.

According to this article the Wii only sold 475,000 its first week.
http://www.huffingto..._n_2194002.html

#1786 PieterMc

PieterMc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Well my Wii U died on me tonight. Blinking red light and won't power on :-(
Earn free prizes from Swagbucks

#1787 jr233270

jr233270

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Well my Wii U died on me tonight. Blinking red light and won't power on :-(

That's awful, man. Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of quick turnaround and it's covered by the warranty (hopefully). I really haven't read anything about this but I am now getting nervous for not picking up the extra two year warranty from Best Buy when I bought my console.

#1788 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

That's awful, man. Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of quick turnaround and it's covered by the warranty (hopefully). I really haven't read anything about this but I am now getting nervous for not picking up the extra two year warranty from Best Buy when I bought my console.

Bring your console back in and we can still get you protection on it.
Posted Image

#1789 PieterMc

PieterMc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

I need to send it in for repair. They said it will take 1 - 2 weeks to get it back from the date I mail it. Totally sucks. I've barely even used the thing. He said I was not the only person who has had this problem, not that it makes me feel any better. I would have just tried taking it back to Walmart, but my copy of Mario Bros is stuck inside :cry:

#1790 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

You've got 30 days from the pickup date (or 60 if your silver, I think) to go back in and buy one.

#1791 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

just heard nintendo might be coming out with a mini version of the wii. Why would nintendo waste time in producing those things when they could use that time to make tons more wii u. nintendo puzzles me on some things they do.

#1792 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Okay, I have a theory. One that I hope I'm wrong about (but it's a sad statement about people in general). The payment on my Walmart bundle got screwed up somehow. So I called in to fix it. The CS then accidentally cancelled the order while changing the payment. Wait... there's more... then as he tried to reorder it, he had trouble finding the Super Mario U to place in the bundle. Then he asked if I wanted Thor. "Thor? You mean Avengers?" "No, Thor" "Is this a Wii-U bundle or a regular Wii" "Uh... it's the black one". Could there be 300,000 grandmothers being helped by inept minimum wage workers to purchase the "deal" $200 Wii Bundle instead of the Wii-U? It'll be quite the surprise Christmas morning when they unwrap Thor and Kirby 20th.

#1793 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

I saw a lot of people buying Just Dance Wii's in front of me on Black Friday. Doesn't surprise me.

#1794 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I thought I turned a corner with Razor's Edge. I thought all was well and good and the game was finally turning into something fun. And then came

Spoiler

Hey Broly how are you enjoying Razor's Edge? I never played NG3 on the 360/PS3 cause I heard it was major ass, but I heard Team Ninja did some much needed fixing with this version. Also are you playing with the gamepad or pro controller cause I'm thinking about picking this game up but only have the gamepad at the moment and want to know if the pro controller is highly recommended for this game.
Posted Image

#1795 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

just heard nintendo might be coming out with a mini version of the wii. Why would nintendo waste time in producing those things when they could use that time to make tons more wii u. nintendo puzzles me on some things they do.

Nintendo said they sold 400,000 Wii U, 300,000 Wii, and 250,000 DS units last week. A mini-Wii, if it makes them money, is still very much worth their time.

elessar123.png

#1796 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

Nintendo said they sold 400,000 Wii U, 300,000 Wii, and 250,000 DS units last week. A mini-Wii, if it makes them money, is still very much worth their time.

The PSone and PStwo still sold very well for quite some time into their successors existence. In fact WalMarts may have only stopped carrying PS2 games/system this year. GameStop hasnt.

Additionally, the foundries making the Wii chips are different than the ones making the Wii U chips, there is little overlap of resources on the two consoles.

Edit: Another item, a redesigned Wii may also be targeted for other countries as much as continued presence in NA or Japan.

#1797 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

According to this article the Wii only sold 475,000 its first week.
http://www.huffingto..._n_2194002.html

GAF was citing an IGN article for their 600K claim. In either event it may become a bit clearer as a few weeks go by to see what the continued sales are for the system.

#1798 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

Nintendo is focused on staying profitable. The people who are in the market for a $100 console are not in the market for a $300 console regardless of backwards compatibility. Nintendo is following SONY's lead and marketing to the budget conscious consumer as well as folks in developing nations.

There is word going around that the Wii mini will use an even smaller chip and draw quite a bit less power than before. If this rumour pans out I will import a Japanese model and use it exclusively as a DQX machine.

edit: For clarification, I believe the Wii uses ~25 watts in game mode. I read speculation that a redesigned Wii could use as little as 10 watts in game mode. Pretty mindblowing.

Edited by cochesecochese, 27 November 2012 - 09:46 AM.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#1799 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

http://arstechnica.c...n-xbox-360-ps3/

Less than the Wii, more than the 360, but both of those were supply constrained. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the year plays out.

#1800 PieterMc

PieterMc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

And all of a sudden mine starts working again.