Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6680 replies to this topic

#1921 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

[quote name='mykevermin']- Classic controller (pro) does not work on Wii U games.[/quote]

False, I use the Classic Controller Pro with Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed.

[quote name='mykevermin']- Wiimotes are Wiimotes, so I can keep the ones I have for my Wii and use them just fine on any Wii U game (small followup: is the motionplus adapter necessary in all cases, b/c I only have old pre-motionplus Wiimotes?)[/quote]

Your existing remotes will work fine. Motion Plus is required only on a select few games, just like it was on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

#1922 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

That's not really the complaint though, is it?

My complaint is that it doesn't support it. Period. It's freaking Mario. The second screen does nothing. Give me the ergonomic 80 hour controller over the bulky 3 hour one that serves no purpose in this game.

I'm only a few worlds in but so far there's no excuse as to why they couldn't support it. I assume there is some lame motion later on that the Pro Controller can't do.

I haven't finished the game, but NSMBW had the tilt platforms that required the accelerometer in the controller to operate, so I assume it's the same situation as that.

#1923 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Forgot to mention if anyone is looking for one Toys R Us in Times Square NYC had mountains of these:

Posted Image

Gamers get the consoles, flippers get nothing! :D
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#1924 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Lastly, Nintendo can screw themselves, no achievements/trophies? WTF?! I know it's not a requirement, but come on! I don't see any reasons to cut that out. It's not like there's a huge overhead cost to implement this! STUPID times 1000...

And for those of you indifferent to achievements/trophies, please don't start... There are tons of use for such thing. For starter, the descriptions for some achievements/trophies are hilarious! It's like free hidden jokes... In Cabela's hunt games, there's a trophy called "Metal Deer Solid," come on, it's pretty funny :) Even if you don't collect them, you can still enjoy some hidden Easter eggs.

Yeah, I chiefly use trophy lists as a way to gauge how far along my friends are in a particular game, so it works as a nice discussion aid. I hope they eventually patch them in. Just seems like a sensible thing to do to make them more competitive with third parties.

#1925 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

I haven't finished the game, but NSMBW had the tilt platforms that required the accelerometer in the controller to operate, so I assume it's the same situation as that.

The question, then, is why didn't they include motion sensing in the Pro controller? Like the PS3 has motion control in theirs? Then the thing would be usable in more games. They could even put in the pointing bit by having the sensor on the front of it.

#1926 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

The question, then, is why didn't they include motion sensing in the Pro controller? Like the PS3 has motion control in theirs? Then the thing would be usable in more games. They could even put in the pointing bit by having the sensor on the front of it.

I have a question along those lines + cheapness. Why the hell is he controler so expensive if it doesn't have that much stuff in it?

#1927 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have a question along those lines + cheapness. Why the hell is he controler so expensive if it doesn't have that much stuff in it?

I'll up that: why the hell are video game controllers ALWAYS so expensive? I fail to see how controllers for any system warrant being more expensive than many digital cameras.

#1928 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

It's the question of why they don't work or won't work?!

Developers have to support them. There's no more or less than that.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1929 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Nintendo doesn't even support the Pro controller. There's no question that the Pro controller is pretty badly ill-conceived and now there are so many controller options that may or may not be supported in games that the back of the box looks ridiculous in some cases. See Sega Racing Transformed. They even forgot to include the Pro controller in their list of supported controllers.

#1930 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Anyhow, I think the Wii U is cool, but any accessories marked with "Wii U" on them are WASTE OF MONEY! The only thing you might need is Nintendo point cards, don't buy anything else (unless you don't have Wiimotes).

Wii U accessories are only a waste of money if you don't have a use for them. If you're using them, why would they be a waste of money? If you're not using them, why did you buy them?

The second screen is very gimmicky IMO.

Did I just time travel to 2004?

#1931 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

I don't have a solid answer for this one, but a logical guess is that that group of folks out there that call themselves "TRUE GAMERZ" wouldn't be interested in their controllers having motion controls. They're called "Pro" controllers for a reason.

But then I don't see that group buying the Wii U anyway, so your guess is as good as mine.

#1932 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

well, i got my pro controller for Monster Hunter Ultimate, Bayonetta 2, and the eventual wiiu virtual console. Those are 3 pretty good reasons, IMO.
\\:D/

#1933 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

False, I use the Classic Controller Pro with Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed.

Huh. So is the Classic Controller a possible substitute anytime I would otherwise use the Pro Controller? Or must the title specifically support the Classic Controller? (i.e., a Wii U title could feasibly have support for (a) Classic Controller only, (b) Pro Controller only, © both, or (d) none at all?)

Pardon the barrage of questions, but I want to make the right purchases (or avoid the wrong ones) when I decide to pick up a Wii U.
Posted Image

#1934 Batcave Dweller

Batcave Dweller

Gone Batty!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

I use my Wii U Pro Controller heavily for TTT2 so it's being worth my money. Nuff said!
-- Frosty

Playing: :wiiu: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, :wii: Tatsunoko vs Capcom, :3ds: Project X Zone,
:ds: Solatorobo, :psp: Persona 3 Portable, :ps3: (JP) BlazBlue: Chronophantasma & (US) Aquapazza

#1935 io

io

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is Scribblenauts was a big hit with my kids. Even my 360 fanboy son who wanted nothing to do with the Wii U took a turn at it. The bad news is that despite using a fully charged gamepad (it sits in the charging cradle all the time) we got, at best 2 hours of gameplay out of it before it died. Then it kept disconnecting over and over and finally we had to quit. That is not good. I didn't time it exactly, but I don't even think it was a full 2 hours. The frustrating thing is that it showed 2 bars on the battery when we put it on the cradle, but then using it again it would only work for a couple minutes (and the battery light was flashing on it so it was definitely that and not a general connection issue).

And yeah, I'll have to look into this Controller Pro business. I preordered one at Newegg (hey, where is thay anyway - no shipping notice or delay notice or anything). But if it seems pretty useless I might see if I can cancel it.

#1936 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Can you use the gamepad while it's plugged in?
Posted Image

#1937 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Can you use the gamepad while it's plugged in?

Yes, you can. Although I probably wouldn't try using it while it was connected to the charging dock. Much better to just plug the power cord directly into the top of the controller.

The obvious disadvantage of this is that it makes your controller no longer truly wireless. The upside is that the controller does not need to be tethered to the console itself, any wall outlet will do. This is why Nintendo opted for a separate power adapter instead of just charging the Wii U's gamepad via USB.

#1938 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I'm a couple days into opening mine and I'm pretty tempid on the whole thing. Nintendo Land is pretty cool and has its purpose but this isn't going to be much different from what drew me away from the Wii...mini games based on gimmick.

I've got New Super Mario on the way, but really the only way I don't return this to Best Buy is based on a system update by years end. If they show support by fixing system slowness and get some other enhancements up then I can have confidence, otherwise I doubt this will have legs.
Posted Image

#1939 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Yes, you can. Although I probably wouldn't try using it while it was connected to the charging dock. Much better to just plug the power cord directly into the top of the controller.

Ah, that's clear, thanks. I live in a rather tiny (narrow) home, so depending on the length of the cord (or the availability of longer cords), I won't have any concerns about short battery life. Sweet.
Posted Image

#1940 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is Scribblenauts was a big hit with my kids. Even my 360 fanboy son who wanted nothing to do with the Wii U took a turn at it. The bad news is that despite using a fully charged gamepad (it sits in the charging cradle all the time) we got, at best 2 hours of gameplay out of it before it died. Then it kept disconnecting over and over and finally we had to quit. That is not good. I didn't time it exactly, but I don't even think it was a full 2 hours. The frustrating thing is that it showed 2 bars on the battery when we put it on the cradle, but then using it again it would only work for a couple minutes (and the battery light was flashing on it so it was definitely that and not a general connection issue).

And yeah, I'll have to look into this Controller Pro business. I preordered one at Newegg (hey, where is thay anyway - no shipping notice or delay notice or anything). But if it seems pretty useless I might see if I can cancel it.

Maybe it's intentional. Now they don't have to ask those questions, "Aren't you tired of playing video games? Get your lazy ass out into the fresh air and sun you fat ass!". They force you to stop playing. :D

#1941 PieterMc

PieterMc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

Got a notice that Nintendo are shipping my Wii U back to me today. Hope it's fixed!
Earn free prizes from Swagbucks

#1942 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

You really need to multi-quote...

#1943 io

io

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Ah, that's clear, thanks. I live in a rather tiny (narrow) home, so depending on the length of the cord (or the availability of longer cords), I won't have any concerns about short battery life. Sweet.

I set up the power cord and charging cradle way up on the mantle (out of reach of the little ones). So it is pretty inconvenient to yank that all down to plug in the gamepad somewhere closer to the couch when it runs low. I suppose I could get another AC adapter to use in those circumstances, but that is sort of a pain. Plus I'd probably have to run an extension cord from the wall to where we normally sit to use it. Yeah, that really makes it no longer wireless!

#1944 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

:rofl: ok, that puts it in perspective.
Posted Image

#1945 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Nope. 5 posts in a row by someone is much more obnoxious than a lengthy post. There's no reason not to multi-quote unless you're on the phone theme.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#1946 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I tested out the original Wii channel and backwards compatibility yesterday.

The bad news is, the Wii U does not render any of the original Wii content at higher resolutions. The actual rendering is at the native 480p that the original Wii was capable of. So no emulation-supported higher resolutions. Nintendo had confirmed that this is the way it would work before hand, but it is still a bit disappointing. After seeing how good some of the Wii games are able to look on PC emulators, it would have been nice to have some more visual options.

The good news is that the Wii U DOES handle the upscaling itself. The output that comes from the Wii U for original Wii content is at 1080p. So even though the rendering is at standard 480p, the upscaling is handled by the Wii U hardware, instead of relying on the television's upscaling. Most flat-screen televisions don't have very good upscaling. It's almost always better to have the console hardware handle the upscaling, rather than relying on the screen. Thanks to this, the Wii U is still a better option for playing original Wii games. (since the original Wii does NOT handle upscaling)

The performance for original Wii games on the Wii U was quite good. The controls were smooth and accurate, the controller syncing worked well, and the visuals were solid. (even if they weren't high-definition)

#1947 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the info Richard, I know that HDTV input lag is always a concern for me, so that would be something to consider when I do upgrade to the Wii U in the future (originally I was just planning on keeping both Wii and Wii U set up simultaneously, not transferring the data over).

Then again I still like having the component audio output feed directly to my analog stereo system (no digital sound bar as of yet), so I'd be curious of someone's take on the Wii U HD output on the HDMI cables vs. the component cables (as both are still HD resolution).

#1948 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I tested out the original Wii channel and backwards compatibility yesterday.

The bad news is, the Wii U does not render any of the original Wii content at higher resolutions. The actual rendering is at the native 480p that the original Wii was capable of. So no emulation-supported higher resolutions. Nintendo had confirmed that this is the way it would work before hand, but it is still a bit disappointing. After seeing how good some of the Wii games are able to look on PC emulators, it would have been nice to have some more visual options.

The good news is that the Wii U DOES handle the upscaling itself. The output that comes from the Wii U for original Wii content is at 1080p. So even though the rendering is at standard 480p, the upscaling is handled by the Wii U hardware, instead of relying on the television's upscaling. Most flat-screen televisions don't have very good upscaling. It's almost always better to have the console hardware handle the upscaling, rather than relying on the screen. Thanks to this, the Wii U is still a better option for playing original Wii games. (since the original Wii does NOT handle upscaling)

The performance for original Wii games on the Wii U was quite good. The controls were smooth and accurate, the controller syncing worked well, and the visuals were solid. (even if they weren't high-definition)

The problem with this is that it forces 16:9 on all games, so games originally meant for 4:3 will get stretched. Otherwise they definitely do look sharper/clearer on my setup (and I'm using the exact same component cables). If they would patch in a setup menu for the Wii software menu it would fix this but I don't expect it.

uc.png

#1949 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

originally I was just planning on keeping both Wii and Wii U set up simultaneously, not transferring the data over

Even though I consider the Wii U to be a superior option for playing Wii titles, I'm still going to hang onto my Wii, and I'm not going to use the transfer function. I hadn't over-invested in either Virtual console games, or save data for my original Wii. I'm fine with starting fresh for most Wii games on my Wii U.

I also still feel that the original Wii is one of the best methods for playing GameCube games. This is partially due to the Wii's superior 480p support, and the broad availability of component cables for the Wii. The only component cables for the GameCube were first-party, and are extremely rare. (and only work for earlier versions of the console)

I've mentioned before that I'm a collector, though. So it's not really surprising that I would hang onto old hardware.

#1950 Dormin

Dormin

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Yea I have a ton of GC games and my son will probably end up playing them so I figure my BC Wii will be his.
0843db393346757b68b32a43df88d267_4d9be17