Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6703 replies to this topic

#1951 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Even though I consider the Wii U to be a superior option for playing Wii titles, I'm still going to hang onto my Wii, and I'm not going to use the transfer function. I hadn't over-invested in either Virtual console games, or save data for my original Wii. I'm fine with starting fresh for most Wii games on my Wii U.

I also still feel that the original Wii is one of the best methods for playing GameCube games. This is partially due to the Wii's superior 480p support, and the broad availability of component cables for the Wii. The only component cables for the GameCube were first-party, and are extremely rare. (and only work for earlier versions of the console)

I've mentioned before that I'm a collector, though. So it's not really surprising that I would hang onto old hardware.

Either way I would of held onto the Wii, as I agree its a lot easier using that for my GCN games. The fact that the games do look better / less HDTV lag by using the Wii U is swaying my decision if I want to transfer the files over or not. The 16:9 automatic stretch factor doesn't bother me, as the annoying black side bars are the greater evil, personally.

I won't be getting a Wii U anytime soon though (too much Wii backlog as it is), so this is all just future thinking.

#1952 hack

hack

shadow of the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

New system updated out. 592 MB.

These are huge updates. Nintendo needs a new way to package these things so they aren't so big.
prjkthack
Twitter / YouTube

#1953 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

well they have 1gb of ram for the OS, so they're going to be big updates.

With 3 Nintendo Directs tomorrow, me thinks we're getting the Wii U Virtual Console tomorrow since it's a thursday.

For North America and Europe...Metroid Prime.

/faints
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1954 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

New system updated out. 592 MB.

These are huge updates. Nintendo needs a new way to package these things so they aren't so big.

It's December...any TVii features added, as little as I really care, I'd rather not have to open this thing for another update before Christmas.

#1955 BLink

BLink

Since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Demo for Fifa 2013 is up

#1956 ArthurDigbySellers

ArthurDigbySellers

Not exactly a lightweight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

The nice thing about this system update is that I was playing NSMBU for about an hour and during that time, the entire update had already downloaded. The installation process is still pretty damn slow, but background downloading of the patch was a nice feature.

I'm reading online that it addresses stability bugs, user interface tweaks and stuff like that.

Currently Drinking:
Homebrew

#1957 Theswweet

Theswweet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

Anyone else manage to add Shuhei Yoshida?
I'm 100% Cheap, 100%, and 100% Gamer. Add me whenever you can!... I don't bite.:applause:

Spoiler

Want free games from Amazon/Gamestop? XBLA, PSN, Nintendo store-fronts? Check out the links in my spoilers above!

#1958 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

...If they show support by fixing system slowness and get some other enhancements up then I can have confidence, otherwise I doubt this will have legs.

Well today is encouraging!
Posted Image

#1959 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Who's the wise-guy that changed the forum title that way???

Crunchewy.png

#1960 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I saw that, that was pretty funny.

For those interested, there's a new Nintendo Direct in 45mins (12 noon ET), hopefully they'll announce either a Virtual Console for the WiiU, or a new AAA Metroid/Starfox/DK title :bouncy:

Orrrrr TVii going live today. That'd be pretty cool!

http://www.nintendo....ive/12-05-2012/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1961 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Animal Crossing: A New Leaf
NSMB2 DLC
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1962 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ugh, Lego City, Pimkim 3, Wario, WiiFit U, and Ninja Gaiden DLC...

And panorama view, and google maps... lame! :wall:

So, nothing new.

#1963 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

So what did this update do if anyone has a patch notes list? Haven't downloaded it yet due to downloading Far Cry 3.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1964 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

So let me get this straight, the basic system has 8GB of storage right, and the OS takes up about 5GB of storage from that 8GB right, or am I calculating something wrong here. This leaves basic owners with very little storage if I am indeed correct, especially since there will likely be many more huge updates in the future.

Also can I officially consider the regular Wii shop and virtual console dead, as in there will be no more releases for the Wii version of the e-shop or whatever it is called now? If so I will go spend my points, I know they will carry over to a new system but I may as well get the content while I still have a Wii should I decide to get the Wii U in the future.

The update size isn't so bad, its the lack of storage on the 8GB system that is, the updates on other systems are much faster but I just downloaded an over 800MB update from Apple in the form of iOS 6.0.1 or whatever the latest version is.

#1965 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Update took an hour for me just now. Hopefully, no more console lock-ups!

#1966 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

OS takes up 1GB, from what I've heard. Also heard that the 1GB update actually replaces the original OS space, so there's no space lost when updating, I believe.

Still leaves basic owners (like me) with not a whole lot of space, though.

To be fair, though, I can confirm that moving all 19 of my VC games (six of which are 64 games) as well as all of my Wii game saves took less than 512 MB, which was a nice surprise.

#1967 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Anyone know what todays system update is for?

#1968 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Makes loading apps much quicker. Maybe I'm wrong. Feels that way though.

Question: Can you install your disc games to the HDD?

#1969 masked lemon

masked lemon

is high as a kite.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

If you took the time to read the last page of posts, you would see that it fixed system stability and loading time issues.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1970 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

If you took the time to read the last page of posts, you would see that it fixed system stability and loading time issues.

He wants to give you the answer, but also wants you to feels bad.
Posted Image

#1971 PieterMc

PieterMc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

So I got a brand new system from Nintendo. Now I get Error 105-0642 whenever I try to download anything or install any game updates. :-\
Earn free prizes from Swagbucks

#1972 Nealocus123

Nealocus123

That's Vagtastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Just got one today! I'm so excited! Snagged ZombieU, a pro controller and a case for it. Currently going through the update.

When I was trying to connect it to the Internet I had to manually enter my settings...did anyone else have this problem?

#1973 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

So I'm watching the Nintendo direct now, just a couple of quick thoughts-Lego City looks boring to me, it's essentially no different than every lego game ever just without a license behind it. I really don't get the point of Panaroma View at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikmin 3 is much like Kid Icarus and gets delayed yet again. Looks gorgeous and fun though.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1974 io

io

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Had to be Cheapy - don't think anyone else can change those.

So I got a brand new system from Nintendo. Now I get Error 105-0642 whenever I try to download anything or install any game updates. :-\

I'm not sure of the exact number, but all I got was errors when I was on WiFi. Even when I could get the connection test to work, when I actually went to do anything (like download or update) it gave me errors like that. I got it to work a short time when I parked the Wii U right next to my router but even then it was flaky and slow. All the problems went away (and download speed got much faster) when I bought a USB network adapter (a Wii one works just fine). I think the update took about 30 minutes for me with the adapter.

Some people have no problems with WiFi, obviously. I think it has something to do with incompatibility with certain wireless routers (mine is a NetGear).

#1975 pjarvi

pjarvi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Makes loading apps much quicker. Maybe I'm wrong. Feels that way though.

Question: Can you install your disc games to the HDD?

No, there's no option to install disc games to a hard drive. Hopefully, Nintendo will add that in the future as I find the disc drive is rather noisy. Thankfully, load times have been nowhere near as bad as PS3 games were/are.

#1976 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

So I'm watching the Nintendo direct now, just a couple of quick thoughts-Lego City looks boring to me, it's essentially no different than every lego game ever just without a license behind it. I really don't get the point of Panaroma View at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikmin 3 is much like Kid Icarus and gets delayed yet again. Looks gorgeous and fun though.

I think the saddest part about the whole thing is that they keep talking about this Lego game like it's a huge deal. Nintendo, wake up! It's just another Lego game. There's nothing to get excited about. We know what to expect: There'll be some jumping, building, some silly humor, missions, etc. It's all been done before.

Now, go ahead and announce some games that will help you sell some systems. Otherwise, stop putting this shovelware in your broadcasts.

#1977 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm pretty excited about Lego City. They make strong games when they are stuck in the movie format (Pirates, Harry Potter), and Stronger games when their leash is loosened (Batman 2). I'm interested in seeing what they can do with more freedom. What i've seen seems like a more robust version of the open world from Batman 2, but without any specific movie ties- which means they can parody ALL THE THINGS! It seems like it'll be a lot of fun.
Spoiler

#1978 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I think the saddest part about the whole thing is that they keep talking about this Lego game like it's a huge deal. Nintendo, wake up! It's just another Lego game. There's nothing to get excited about. We know what to expect: There'll be some jumping, building, some silly humor, missions, etc. It's all been done before.

Now, go ahead and announce some games that will help you sell some systems. Otherwise, stop putting this shovelware in your broadcasts.

The Lego series of games sells surprisingly well, its exclusive (at least for a period of time), and is published by Nintendo. They are pushing the game because they have an interest in pushing the game.

It may well move some systems.

#1979 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

The Lego series of games sells surprisingly well, its exclusive (at least for a period of time), and is published by Nintendo. They are pushing the game because they have an interest in pushing the game.

It may well move some systems.

The point isn't that it will move systems, it's that the promotion itself smacks of desperation. Your "pushing the game" tautology sidesteps the point: they're pushing the game because it's all they have. They're stuck waiting on first-party titles.

They know they're going through the motions, and we know they're going through the motions. Because we all know Lego City isn't moving Nintendo consoles. Be honest. Nintendo titles move Nintendo consoles.

Once they have a full complement of first-party titles, then we'll be in a position to judge system movement, as it were. I think the early going hasn't been so bad. Nobody honestly expected it to replicate the Wii's success, and I think they did a good job of avoiding the 3DS pitfalls (the only real misstep being the timing of the Wii Mini, which just confuses people further). They just need to get some real games out quick, if any of the big titles miss the Launch Window, that could be a sign of bad things.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1980 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Was my Deluxe supposed to have anything in the box (a card or something) for the Digital Deluxe Program. The only thing I could find was a sticker on the box. I'm probably being dense, but I want to make sure I don't miss out.