Wii U General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
6647 replies to this topic

#2281 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

The impressive bit, which is hard to grasp until it's in your living room, is that the wii is instantaneous.

You must have gotten a magical WiiU. There isn't a single thing about the WiiOS that is instantaneous.

#2282 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Again, Microsoft and Sony should worry about making their own innovations then simply just coping what Nintendo is doing.

If the new innovation is worth anyones attention, it's going to be copied. That's just how the world works. That's why vibration, analog sticks (dual analog sticks), wireless controllers, motion controls, voicechat, digital downloads, etc made their way to each of the consoles.

I think what we are going to see now that these machines have become somewhat future proof through patching and unique peripherals aren't going to define systems (even if they don't get a great software attach rate until they are included in the next gen release). The real deciding factor is going to be ease of use, how well they function as set-top boxes through partnerships (netflix, music, browser, etc), and how strong their "walled gardens" are compared to the competition. Basically, who can keep their users from having to switch to a different device to do something. Nintendo was one of the first to understand this by incorporating the news and weather into the Wii, but the lack of HD (and a harddrive) prevented it from becoming a good solution for a media center. Also- they have handled network IDs poorly so far.

I like my xbox and my wii U, but i'm more invested in the PSN at this point and as a result I favor it for 3rd party games and media. It isn't that PSN better, they are just the ones that got their claws into my first.

Anyway- TL-DR, i don't think its really about hardware innovation anymore, it's about interface and convenience.
Spoiler

#2283 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

The problem with smartglass is you need four hands for it to be effective

You must have gotten a magical WiiU. There isn't a single thing about the WiiOS that is instantaneous.

Screenswitching

#2284 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

WiiU is instaneous. The gaming is at least. Switching to the settings menu isn't though. :)

Anyone with a Gamepad that loses connection a lot? Might suddenly started acting flakely a week ago and today I finally sent it in for repair. Worked fine since launch. I couldn't think of anything that changed in my setup to set it off.

Smartglass is a business response to the WiiU. I don't think it will work nearly as well as the Wii U but with the right marketing consumers might be confused enough to believe it is the same thing.

#2285 DuelLadyS

DuelLadyS

Basch Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

So, I know that I can hook up a Wii U with Wii cables... does it work the other way around?

Basically, I'm planning to give/lend my mom my Wii when I get a Wii U. My TV runs composite, hers is new and has HDMI. Can I switch the video cables so the Wii is running on the Wii U's HDMI and vice-versa? It's be great not to have to buy another set of cables off the bat.

#2286 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

So, I know that I can hook up a Wii U with Wii cables... does it work the other way around?

Basically, I'm planning to give/lend my mom my Wii when I get a Wii U. My TV runs composite, hers is new and has HDMI. Can I switch the video cables so the Wii is running on the Wii U's HDMI and vice-versa? It's be great not to have to buy another set of cables off the bat.

The Wii doesn't have an HDMI port, so no.

#2287 DuelLadyS

DuelLadyS

Basch Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

The Wii doesn't have an HDMI port, so no.

Thanks for the info- I'm in the middle of a work-crunch thing and can't get to my Wii to check for things like that.

So, I'll have to try and find time to get behind the folks' TV and figure out how many non-HDMI ports they've got.

#2288 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

An option for HDMI on Wii: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#2289 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

An option for HDMI on Wii: http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Anyone have this? Is it a true upscaling? Seems a bit suspect to me. I bet it's still 480p for the Wii but says its 1080 like the way the Wii U does it.

#2290 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I have not really had a lot of luck with things from monoprice that are not just cables (but their cables are great). I'd be wary of that thing. Of course I'd love for somebody else to try it and let us know. :)

#2291 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Anyone have this? Is it a true upscaling? Seems a bit suspect to me. I bet it's still 480p for the Wii but says its 1080 like the way the Wii U does it.

If you read the comments on Monoprice, you should get your answer. It seems to be just a gimmick, but does seem to provide the benefit of allowing you use an HDMI connection (if you need to do so).

It also seems to be one of the pricier things in the Monoprice inventory.

#2292 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Honestly, I can't imagine it'd do anymore than simply playing a Wii game on the Wii U, which isn't really all that noticeable of a difference. For me, anyway. So, yeah, if you absolutely *needed* to hook it up through HDMI, great... but I'd be shocked if there's a huge 'benefit' to it.

#2293 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

A similar HDMI adapter for Wii was recommended a few months ago by CAG king9x in this thread, though its just 480p with some slight clean up, and not true 720p / 1080p. At least this one has more reviews and generally positive, and is cheaper through third party sellers (less than $20 shipped)

#2294 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I wouldn't say it's night & day on Wii U, but it's definitely night and not quite night. Text and sprites are crisper, not sure if jaggies are any less jaggier. Will have to look at mario galaxy, that was jaggy city.

#2295 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

My thoughts regarding using an HDMI adapter with the Wii:

I tried an HDMI adapter a while ago with the Wii. It didn't improve the quality over the component cables I'm using. It also gave everything a slightly blue tint/hue. I had honestly gotten it because I wanted to add my Wii to my HDMI switcher, but the switcher couldn't recognize it unless I did something strange. I say that because I don't remember exactly what I had to do to get it to work through the switch; I think I had to turn on my 360 as well and sort of fool the switch into passing the Wii's signal. Even when I had tried to manually select the Wii with the switch, it just wouldn't work.

I returned it and decided I'd just wait until the Wii U. So I'd personally say to just stick with the component cables unless you have a really significant reason for needing HDMI on the Wii.

I could probably have tried other HDMI adapters for the Wii, but the experience I had with this one (it was an HDMIKey) turned me off from pursuing it further. In other words, maybe other people have had more luck than me.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#2296 DuelLadyS

DuelLadyS

Basch Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Basically, I plan to buy a Wii U with my tax return money, when Rayman (and hopefully the Wonderful 101) hit. I have an old non-HD tv that I'm choosing not to upgrade until me and the fiance get a place, so I can have it on-hand for old school systems. So I'll need a composite cable for said Wii U- no biggie.

In other to save space in an already clogged setup, I'd like to pull the Wii in favor of the Wii U. I mentioned this to my mom, wondering if she'd like to use the Wii for bowling in Wii sports- fully expecting her to say no. Surprisingly, she was on board.

Now, mom invested a couple years back in a 50-60" Sony Bravia (I forget the excact measurement, only that they had to downsize at the last minute when they realized the TV they originally picked out wouldn't fit in the size for it.) I've never been able to convince her bluray is a good idea with the fancy new TV, so it's got 1 composite slot used by the DVD player. 1 open composite, 2 open component, and like 4 open HDMI.

Upscaling's not really a concern, just the cheapest way to get a Wii hooked up to that TV with a serviceable picture. Nice to know there's so many options...

#2297 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

lol a 55"ish mid-high range HDTV with composite DVDs. What a waste of money.

#2298 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Tell her bluray players play DVDs

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#2299 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

For hooking up the WiiU to a SDTV, you will have to get one of the cables that came with the original Wii and use that.

#2300 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Now, mom invested a couple years back in a 50-60" Sony Bravia (I forget the excact measurement, only that they had to downsize at the last minute when they realized the TV they originally picked out wouldn't fit in the size for it.) I've never been able to convince her bluray is a good idea with the fancy new TV, so it's got 1 composite slot used by the DVD player. 1 open composite, 2 open component, and like 4 open HDMI.

Upscaling's not really a concern, just the cheapest way to get a Wii hooked up to that TV with a serviceable picture. Nice to know there's so many options...

Another possible solution is to check to see if her DVD player has an HDMI port. Many new DVD players have this port and most people don't even know it, so that would be the easiest and cheapest option to free up that composite slot (if available).

You can almost even get a new / used DVD player with an HDMI upscaling port for about the same cost as the Wii HDMI adapter. Would make better use of the HDTV for DVDs and free up a composite slot, two birds, one stone...

#2301 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

So i had to replace my Wii U yesterday and ran into the NNID problem that was reported earlier. I've sent an email to nintendo asking to see if they can reassociate my NNID with the new system. I'll keep everyone updated on how they handle it. Honestly- if they can't get my old ID tied to the new system, I'm just going to return it to best buy and wait until they get all their ducks in a row. I'm not super attached to my user name (yes i am), but poor management of system transfers at this point is just not something I want to deal with as a consumer. I'm on my 6th PS3, my 4th xbox, and my 2nd Wii U (for various reasons- and had no trouble at all regaining access to my IDs on the other systems)
Spoiler

#2302 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...er-titles-dated

Update on some release dates:

Wii U
Publisher Title Available
Activision The Amazing Spider-Man™ Ultimate Edition March
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct March 26
Capcom Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate March 19
D3Publisher The Croods: Prehistoric Party! March 19
Electronic Arts Need For Speed Most Wanted March 19
Nintendo LEGO® City: Undercover March 18
SEGA Aliens™: Colonial Marines Q1
Ubisoft Rayman® Legends Feb. 26
Nintendo eShop for Wii U
Gaijin Games BIT.TRIP Presents… Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Q1
Neko Puddle Q1
SEGA The Cave™ Jan. 22
TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corp. Fist of the North Star®: Ken’s Rage 2 Feb. 7
Two Tribes Toki Tori 2 Q1
Zen Studios Zen Pinball 2 Q1

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#2303 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Follow-up: Nintendo told me that I would have to create a new NNID, and that once the new ID was established, I would tie it back to my original club nintendo ID and all of my purchases and whatnot would be linked to the new system. That's better than nothing- but I've still lost my original NNID that matches all of my other online community names. I don't understand why they have 2 user names (NNID & Club Nintendo), or why they can't remotely deactivate these things. Really annoying.
Spoiler

#2304 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Follow-up: Nintendo told me that I would have to create a new NNID, and that once the new ID was established, I would tie it back to my original club nintendo ID and all of my purchases and whatnot would be linked to the new system. That's better than nothing- but I've still lost my original NNID that matches all of my other online community names. I don't understand why they have 2 user names (NNID & Club Nintendo), or why they can't remotely deactivate these things. Really annoying.

Wow. That kind of makes me sad that by selling my system I'll be losing my NNID, but I haven't played a whole lot of Nintendo stuff since Gamecube (and even then it was bare bones) so I guess I won't be too butthurt about it.

Still, just goes to show that Nintendo is behind the times when it comes to stuff like this.

#2305 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

augh i want Runner 2

#2306 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

#2307 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

He's trying too hard to Cartman it up.

#2308 DuelLadyS

DuelLadyS

Basch Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

lol a 55"ish mid-high range HDTV with composite DVDs. What a waste of money.

Tell her bluray players play DVDs

Oh, trust me- I've tried every pitch I can think of. She has zero interest in blu, period. Honestly, at this point I'm pretty much gonna have to buy one and hook it up one day when she's not home just to get the point across. At least she watches the HD cable channels.

Anyone hear anything about the Wonderful 101 lately? I'd really like to put off buying the system until it's out, but knowing me I'll wanna jump all over it as soon as I have the tax return in hand. Perhaps there's some news I missed that might slow me down...

#2309 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Was announced today that Wonderful 101 is to be released first half of 2013.

#2310 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Was announced today that Wonderful 101 is to be released first half of 2013.

Shoot, Pikmin 3 delayed, as well. I'm very sad ... might swap out the WiiU for the upcoming 3DS fire emblem bundle. Being an early adopter is painful.

My Lowball Sale has ended.  I feel your pain.  

animePSP2.jpg